• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
NYC Mayor's Office ‏@NYCMayorsOffice

Somebody should ask this guy what he thinks about President Trump's executive order.

Governor Mike Pence ‏@GovPenceIN

Calls to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. are offensive and unconstitutional.

Ahmed Hussen, new Canadian Minister of Immigration, would be banned from entering the USA if he didn't have a diplomatic passport. He's a Somali-Canadian.

What's the difference between me and him? I do not have a Somali passport, however. My concern is that my place of birth (mentioned on my passport) may be reason enough to constitute me as a Somali national, British citizen.

Can anyone explain how we distinguish between national and citizen? I've read that the two are interchangeable.

mike6467

It's hard not to see this as an attempt to provoke a terror attack.

Then we go get oil.

On top of that, they'd have a reason to deport the people already here, "We banned them guys, and something still happened! They can't stay!"

Where are the democrats? Why are they not seizing this moment to show solidarity with the affected immigrants? Why are they not shouting their opposition to this? So weak...

Well if you mean democrat voters, many of them don't care because they prefer their sense of false peace to standing up and disrupting their life to fight for what's right.

If you mean democrat politicians, they're basically spineless.

danowat

Banned
I've been on this earth for, cough, 40 odd years, and never before have I thought we were standing on the edge of so many 'do you remember where you were when' moments.

And May not denouncing these abhorrent acts is a real worry for us in the UK.

DavidDesu

I'm guessing maybe 70% of all Americans are decent rational people, maybe as low as 60 at a push, and we're just dealing with a strong voting bloc made up of the remaining 30-40%?

That 60-70% of Americans need to absolutely rise up against these racist xenophobic crazy gun toting nutcases, before its too late and you literally, LITERALLY, find yourselves the modern day Nazi Germany.

NimbusD

I woke up this morning to this news and the real understanding of these policies and how immediate and drastic their affects are on actual people. My Iranian friends can no longer see their families, friends who have relatives stuck at airports right now.

It's insane, it feels like we're following the actions that happened after 911, except without a 911.

45% of America like this.

JAU9spT.jpg

jiiikoo

Banned
So me, as a dual citizen of Sweden and Finland would be barred from the US, unless I bow down to the baby jesus, eat his flesh and drink his blood infront of a crucifix while a priest blesses me? Well, I am going to cancel my visit there and say to everyone seeking refuge, come to Finland. We have free education, free healthcare and a much nicer president. The prime minister sucks, but hey, he doesn't hate you based on religion.

Seventy70

I'm guessing maybe 70% of all Americans are decent rational people, maybe as low as 60 at a push, and we're just dealing with a strong voting bloc made up of the remaining 30-40%?

That 60-70% of Americans need to absolutely rise up against these racist xenophobic crazy gun toting nutcases, before its too late and you literally, LITERALLY, find yourselves the modern day Nazi Germany.
I agree. This needs to be stopped ASAP. It's no longer sit around and see what they do mode.

Dalibor68

Banned

I don't understand this narrative that somehow all those who didn't vote at all oppose Trump.

sflufan

Banned
So me, as a dual citizen of Sweden and Finland would be barred from the US, unless I bow down to the baby jesus, eat his flesh and drink his blood infront of a crucifix while a priest blesses me? Well, I am going to cancel my visit there and say to everyone seeking refuge, come to Finland. We have free education, free healthcare and a much nicer president. The prime minister sucks, but hey, he doesn't hate you based on religion.

Nah, you're fine! (For now)

Pretty sure Finland and Sweden are A-OK.

Democrats have apparently exiled themselves, Jedi style, where the hell is everyone?

We all have to wrap our arms around these people and protect them ourselves. I'm heading to JFK right now.

What's the difference between me and him? I do not have a Somali passport, however. My concern is that my place of birth (mentioned on my passport) may be reason enough to constitute me as a Somali national, British citizen.

Can anyone explain how we distinguish between national and citizen? I've read that the two are interchangeable.

Ahmed Hussen can travel with a diplomatic passport, and may be allowed into the US. As far as i'm aware national and citizen are interchangeable, but you can renounce a citizenship so perhaps not. I do believe this will effect you. I am sorry.

Nepenthe

I've got friends from SCAD who basically can't go home if they wanted to come back and finish their degree. Granted, considering what's going on in this country I'd almost tell them to transfer to the Lacoste or Hong Kong campus and just stay the fuck away from America for awhile.

Thanks to the Trump voters here and everywhere for fucking up the country.

Dost thou sense it? The climate of evil is descending upon this realm.

We're entering the darkest times since the end of WW2. I have little doubt of that now.

History is going to show the leaders of today (and those who supported them) in an incredibly bad light.

Veitsev

You are from a white country. You are fine.

RinsFury

Only ten percent of Germans were card carrying nazi's during ww2, the rest were swept along in the hysteria. I feel like the same fucking thing is happening now, this insane alt-right movement is going to drag the rest of us along to our doom.

kirblar

I don't understand this narrative that somehow all those who didn't vote at all oppose Trump.
Because there was a very, very vocal (and very white/male) anti-Hillary/anti-establishment narrative on the left, and Dem turnout was down among younger voters.

The "both sides" shit from 2000 was back in full force with the 18-25yo kiddiots, and this is what we got because of it. (and Comey, and bad campaign management, and lack of DNC investment, before someone Ad Hominems me for "only blaming one thing.")

mid83

You guys think this is bad - wait until the deportations start. That'll really ram the point home.

Count me in as one of many who thought the wall, Muslim ban (partial ban or whatever), and mass deportations would never happen.

One of the three happened in a week with lots of talk about the 2nd. At this point mass deportations wouldn't surprise me at all.

You would have to be a citizen of one of the currently 9 banned countries, you'd be fine.

WedgeX

Banned
We don't know what to do. At least, minions like me. I wrote a senator - I'm in D.C. so I have no representation. I donate to the ACLU. And I protest. But I don't know what else is possible, other than rage quitting.

I feel you on the lack of representation, here in DC as well. I do hope that you're not put in a position to quit, the country needs good people in government.

Asking more about TSA and ICE actually at the gates I suppose.

Saya

Sweden and Finland? You'll get the red carpet treatment.

Ishan

One of the best ppl I know is an Iranian who got his phd here at penn state and is on opt as an instructor here. It expires may I believe he was slated to shift to a h1b. He's safe for the next few months but if trump extends the order he'll have to leave .... Plus even now he will have just a months window to try and apply for and get approved for a visa cause this ban extends to end of April ....

A friends a trump supporter many are but this guy was a wear the hat type. Told him . His response was ppl need to leave I can't go over and become a citizen of another country ....

True that. He isn't going to last 8 years. The way he is going he will literally implode within a couple months.
Just like at any moment his run for the Republican nomination will implode. Just like how his campaign for the presidency will implode. We need to drop this assumption at any moment it's going to implode because it still hasn't and he's sitting in the White House right now because people keep thinking there's no way this can happen. We need to start thinking 8 years is a given at this point and what are people going to do to stop that from happening.

UberTag

It's hard not to see this as an attempt to provoke a terror attack.

Then we go get oil.

On top of that, they'd have a reason to deport the people already here, "We banned them guys, and something still happened! They can't stay!"
Why not just go get oil anyway? Do you need to wait for a terror attack to get permission?

The Administration has made it clear what their agenda is. Those excuses aren't going to fly with the rest of the world because we're not stupid. The justification is baseless... whether there's a terrorist attack or not. And the world will not stand idly by and permit the US to invade another sovereign nation and pillage its oil no matter what the excuse.

The Gulf War had a false pretense but the US government at least went through the trouble to manufacture one. There will be no pretense here.

Jesus. I cannot believe this...how can we let this happen? I will be pulling in support.

How come he hasn't been impeached yet? Has he not done anything technically illegal??

FUCK YOU DONALD TRUMP

I've been trying to be nice to family back in South Carolina because my sister is getting married in three weeks so we're going to be down there, but I'd had enough today when my uncle posted on the story, "He isn't the first president to do this." I informed him that I didn't need a history lesson from someone that voted for a fascist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom