• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Can't help but notice all the patriotic mega-americans online who are happy to see the green card holders being held, because "ha ha, great! Get rid of them all! MAGA!"

Just a reminder that for a lot of people, seething rage about "illegals" is a deflection, using people who are technically violating a regulation as a convenient opportunity to wallow in underlying racism.

Many might even lie to themselves, saying it is about LAW AND ORDER and security; but at the end of the day, they just want to see the ugly brown people suffer for having been forced to put up with them for so long already.

Is a ban that bans everyone but non-Muslims not a ban on Muslims?

SG0KKFtwUpqJW.gif

Get ready because this gif is a visual representation of the next four years.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I don't entirely understand why most media outlets seem to focus on just refugees when even legal permanent residents are affected (who may have lived here for most of their lives and have homes, businesses, families and no other place to go).

norinrad

I can't even keep up with all this shit...

1. Detaining immigrants, including some who have had greencards for 2 decades +
2. Allegations of being a Russian asset, substantiated by extensive history with Russia.
3. Reckless executive orders including, pipelines, walls, etc.
4. Basically fucking diplomatic relationship with rest of the world in the ass.
5. Giving his business to his kids and hundreds of conflicts of interest
6. Presidential Cabinet from hell
7. Abortion funding cuts
8. "Alternative Facts"
9. Bitch-fighting with the president of Mexico on Twitter.
10. Being a baby about "voter fraud"
11. removal of climate change website

this is the first week, and I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff

I feel like I'm watching the United States melt before my eyes

W besides Iraq and Afghanistan was an ok guy it seems.

Linkura

I feel so powerless. I work for a pro-immigrant org, but supporting the org instead of programmatic work. Going to call my senators and rep Monday and plan to make a donation to the ACLU and/or CAIR (still deciding on the specifics), but with my health I can't physically go and protest. Just feel powerless thinking I can't do shit about this despite my action plans. I feel like it might not even make a difference, but we have to do something. Is there anything else I can do to help?

I don't entirely understand why most media outlets seem to focus on just refugees when even legal permanent residents are affected (who may have lived here for most of their lives and have homes, businesses, families and no other place to go).

It really is fucked up, but all green card holders can be naturalised if it's been five years since the card was issued. Anyone with just a green card should file for naturalisation ASAP.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Rep. John Yarmuth ‏@RepJohnYarmuth

As I told packed community mtg of Muslims in Louisville who fear their future: I will fight Trump's hate with every ounce of energy I have.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
LOL from the FB news articles I read, I can't really see that actually.

It's true in my experience. They're quieter here, they're quieter on reddit. Many of the Trump voters I work with have been making comments showing they're seeing what he's doing now as bad.

Jackpot

Banned
W besides Iraq and Afghanistan was an ok guy it seems.

Let's not rewrite history. People seem to forget all the corruption and anti-science BS that came from him and his admin. Advisers with no scientific background doctoring NASA climate change reports anyone?

While we are busy protesting, the government is busy tearing apart our liberties. They are making a new reality and we are just being swept along, trying desperately to keep up.

Both local and state offices across the US have rescinded against unpopular decisions this term. Don't let the White House stand as a monolith against protest. Every rock thrown against the wall will leave a mark.

Maedre

Banned
After being out and about yesterday trying to make my voice heard after working all day, do not tell me I'm doing nothing.

You are one person and I didn't want to downplay single actions. It's about the mass of the people.

Chumley

Banned
Trump supporters are steadily growing quieter as they are increasingly exposed as the, at best, utterly ignorant and useless, or at worst, hateful and racist, people they truly are.

Either that or they're still deflecting as if it's the campaign. All I see is "shut up, he won" or "Hillary blah blah blah".

In a conversation about Betsy Devos, one fucking dipshit facebook guy I got into it with ended up saying "why should my tax dollars pay for disabled kids"

It just makes me so fucking sick. What the fuck happened to our country...

Linkura

Sorry to post so soon after my last post, but how is this even legal with just an EO? Can they really detain and refuse these people with just an EO? Apparently they're doing it, but it doesn't seem like something that they could just do with an EO. It seems like the actual law doesn't even matter anymore? With the other EOs, nothing has really happened yet. But with this, they're already detaining people and I'm not sure at all that it's even legal.

The tourist sector is going to really suffer from all this isn't it?

Who's to say. The problem with people in general, is that they say a lot of shit but don't act on it. Somebody will say, "well fuck visiting America now." And yet two weeks later you see selfie pictures of that person at DisneyWorld on their facebook.

Anyway, how likely is it for other countries like Germany to take in more Syrian refugees? Maybe Canada can step up and take in more. Because it's quite apparent the United States wasn't going to do it. Even with Obama, the U.S was taking in very few refugees relatively speaking.

Either that or they're still deflecting as if it's the campaign. All I see is "shut up, he won" or "Hillary blah blah blah".

In a conversation about Betsy Devos, one fucking dipshit facebook guy I got into it with ended up saying "why should my tax dollars pay for disabled kids"

It just makes me so fucking sick. What the fuck happened to our country...

This is the face of American Exceptionalism. Me first and me only. Do you really believe they can afford a wall but not the ACA?

UberTag

The tourist sector is going to really suffer from all this isn't it?
Hospitality and tourism is going to suffer egregiously under this administration.
Tens of thousands of jobs will be lost.
Even more industries will suffer if Trump's further trade deal negotiations go as smoothly as his pathetic effort with Mexico did.

Formless

Sorry to post so soon after my last post, but how is this even legal with just an EO? Can they really detain and refuse these people with just an EO? Apparently they're doing it, but it doesn't seem like something that they could just do with an EO. It seems like the actual law doesn't even matter anymore? With the other EOs, nothing has really happened yet. But with this, they're already detaining people and I'm not sure at all that it's even legal.

I think because they're not citizens it's different. Also even if it is illegal we'd have to fight it in court first which will take a while.

I mean, it's obviously not a Muslim ban.
It's a ban on countries which didn't have business deals with your Supreme Leader.

Technically, I get it! But with Trump I think it goes hand-in-hand. He's already been proposing things that look "innocent" on the surface level and knowing his rhetoric on foreigners it wouldn't surprise me if it's a kill two birds with one stone action.

Joeku

"Just following orders."

Barzul

@JohnJHarwood
More
senior DHS official tells @NBCNews that career professionals at State/DHS had no input on directives. now scrambling to interpret/implement

c4jt321.png

slit

oh common, you know that this is not about you in person. This is not about the people who are already protesting. Its about those who dont.

No, you made a silly comment without thinking. There are people here who care. Anywhere on this planet you'll find apathy. I don't know what you would expect after a week. Should we just destroy everything in sight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom