• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got

Banned
let's just hope those protesting at the airport don't block people going about their business. they're the real victims. #nanaruth

Glory to Arstotzka

Shot01-Title.png

Animator

Currently, Turkey is not on the shitlist but it is just a matter of time. I have a relative who has to travel to Baltimore twice a year for a health procedure that he cannot get back in Turkey and his life depends on it. I wonder how many people from the banned countries also visit US for health care and are currently fucked.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Since when has traveling through an international airport not involved coming into contact with police or military?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Welp. I haven't visited my country of birth (USA if you couldn't guess) in nearly a decade. Looks like it'll be a lot longer than that now.

slit

Currently, Turkey is not on the shitlist but it is just a matter of time. I have a relative who has to travel to Baltimore twice a year for a health procedure that he cannot get back in Turkey and his life depends on it. I wonder how many people from the banned countries also visit US for health care and are currently fucked.

Nah, Trump has business interests in Turkey so that probably won't happen. That is what this boils down to now.

Maedre

Banned
No, you made a silly comment without thinking. There are people here who care. Anywhere on this planet you'll find apathy. I don't know what you would expect after a week. Should we just destroy everything in sight?

This whole situation is not just one week old. Two months ago he was "elected" and even before the us people should have stand up against Trump and co.

naku

The tourist sector is going to really suffer from all this isn't it?

No, I don't see that happening. Most people who are visiting the US from around the world, really only care about experiencing the american brands (clothing, restaurants, etc.) they see in movies or on the Internet. Then they go take pictures of it and share them on social media. People really travel to the States because it is cool and to show off.

Kusagari

I doubt he adds Turkey any time soon. He loves Erdogan.

slit

This whole situation is not just one week old. Two months ago he was "elected" and even before the us people should have stand up against Trump and co.

There were outcries and protests after he got elected, before he got elected even . Tell me since you seem to know how to change things overnight. What would your strategy be?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

What, no.

Turkey is a way too important cogwheel in the refugee crisis machine.

US has a military base there.

Erdogan is about as crazy as Trump.

Vlad will not allow it.

Me too. But ve never really been to political before. How do you find out about where protests are happening? I live in Austin,so there's definitely going to be something soon near me but I can't find anything.

The Austin subreddit maybe?

There's a cool politics app called Countable on iOS if you're looking for another easy way to contribute. You can look at a feed of issues related to topics you're interested in and email your congresspeople right from the app about each one.

Syriel

Since when has traveling through an international airport not involved coming into contact with police or military?

I've traveled quite a bit, through various countries.

You don't usually see a heavy military presence in airports. They might be there, but they're not typically visible. If anything, you'll see random police officers, but that's about it.

oh look, it's actual propaganda.

You know, I had an argument recently with someone who lived under the Soviet system and I had to accept that I, and everyone else, have basically no idea what propaganda really looks and feels like.

But, thanks to this administration, now we can. In just eight days.

danowat

Banned
I've traveled quite a bit, through various countries.

You don't usually see a heavy military presence in airports. They might be there, but they're not typically visible. If anything, you'll see random police officers, but that's about it.
common place in Africa, pretty much unprecedented in the West though.

Depends where you're travelling from / to, I've never seen military at any Western airport.

Africa and middle east, maybe.

I've been the military at U.S. airports. You'll frequently see groups of soldiers in uniform, especially at certain ports of entry, like JFK, IAD, and BWI -- they're just traveling on orders.

There's a huge difference between "groups of people in uniform" and "the military actively patrolling the airport."

We're not there. Yet. :/

dc3k

The only place I've ever seen military (I don't even know if it was military tbh) was in Heathrow in 2006. I remember maybe 2 or 3 instances of ever even seeing a police officer at an airport. I took like 30 flights in the last 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom