• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

The GOP talked tough when they all thought Trump was going to lose like the rest of us.

Him and his racist deplorables have given them basically unlimited power and they're not going to risk upsetting the God King and his fanbase who got them here.

Az

Is this only for those specific countries?
My mother in law went to visit Bosnia and is coming back early Ferbruary.

EGM1966

He's going off on the NYT now.

R9OwVQH.png

Glad to be a subscriber.
The alarming thing though is he's programming his ardent supporters to write off and ignore any media that criticises.

There's a very dangerous play going on here to curate what people do and don't believe and proactively discredit future criticism. Link this to the use of demographic profiling and message planting he employed in his campaign (and still is) and you've got a political party very effectively overturning a lot of norms to allow them to push their polices unhindered and remain in power do so as long as possible.

The supposed checks and balances are being eroded I fear or neutralised with these moves and use of social media and it's alarming. Not least because you can bet similar parties around world are taking note and already making similar moves.

Gorger

I'd like to point out that the entire world is now looking at you, USA, in complete disgust.

Good luck with that.

As a Norwegian I have always had a desire to travel and explore USA, but since I have a personal policy against visiting countries that doesn't uphold basic human rights all those plans are off now for the unforeseeable future.

Alx

I'm just so overwhelmed by all this news this week I haven't even really commented.

I'm afraid that's part of the plan, there have been so many successive news this week, each worth an outrage, that sooner or later people will get numb to it and just add everything on the pile.

The alarming thing though is he's programming his ardent supporters to write off and ignore any media that criticises.

There's a very dangerous play going on here to curate what people do and don't believe and proactively discredit future criticism. Link this to the use of demographic profiling and message planting he employed in his campaign (and still is) and you've got a political party very effectively overturning a lot of norms to allow them to push their polices unhindered and remain in power do so as long as possible.

The supposed checks and balances are being eroded I fear or neutralised with there moves and use of social media and it's alarming. Not least because you can bet similar parties around world are taking note and already making similar moves.

Its a tactic coming from Steve Bannon.

They can go get fucked too..my focus is on the idiots on the left. This is what they wanted..this is "bust" in full effect.

Yes, for sure. Having said that i'm sure they are very awake, so to speak, and are very engaged in protest and civil unrest which can be extremely beneficial to all Americans right now. I think some of that "bust" sentiment comes from being disenchanted in the American electoral process too... it is fucking exhausting.

I'm not an American myself, but i did used to live in California and Washington for awhile in the early 00's. I'm currently in Canada where i'm a citizen (though i'm from the UK with dual citizenship) and the last election here lasted 11 weeks from start to end and that was exhausting for us.

kiguel182

This is just sad. There are no words to describe it really. Trump's whole America First bullshit forgets that we are all humans and fucking borders or religion shouldn't separate that and we should help one another.

Fuck this.

EGM1966

Its a tactic coming from Steve Bannon.

Yes, for sure. Having said that i'm sure they are very awake, so to speak, and are very engaged in protest and civil unrest which can be extremely beneficial to all Americans right now. I think some of that "bust" sentiment comes from being disenchanted in the American electoral process too... it is fucking exhausting.

I'm not an American myself, but i did used to live in California and Washington for awhile in the early 00's. I'm currently in Canada where i'm a citizen (though i'm from the UK with dual citizenship) and the last election here lasted 11 weeks from start to end and that was exhausting for us.
Undoubtably. He's a dangerous individual and smart. He wants to shake up politics and the aura of racism and sexism that surrounds him makes this bad news on all fronts.

It's kinda weird how fast things are moving over there. The is a flood of horrible news almost everyday.

It's gonna get pretty hairy for anyone non white.

Undoubtably. He's a dangerous individual and smart. He wants to shake up politics and the aura of racism and sexism that surrounds him makes this bad news on all fronts.

If we're talking about Bannon, yes i totally agree. If we're talking about Trump i honestly don't believe hes smart, manipulate yes, but not smart. I believe those he surrounds himself with are however. I do believe they may even be taking advantage of him, though I don't say that to rouse any sympathy.

Its crazy that Bannon has ties to gamergate too, just so bizarre.

I only recently looked into the GG stuff after a friend seemed to strongly defend it and i thought i'd best brush up.

Wiped89

I'd like to point out that the entire world is now looking at you, USA, in complete disgust.

Good luck with that.

Couldn't agree more. Vile.

And watching our hag Prime minister make nice with Trump, clearly realising the UK needs the US for trade after Brexit, was almost as sickening.

We are heading somewhere very dark, very fast.

FuturusX

I really did not think things would get so insane so quickly.

Then you haven't been paying attention, much like the majority of the country. The level of distraction in the primary process and the general election allowed this absolute racist fascist to step into the White House.

This the tip of the iceberg and what lies beneath the surface is fucking terrifying.

Imagine a terrorist attack tomorrow. They'll build camps for Muslims inside the USA.

why would they attack America now? they achieved their goal, they broke the West. now they're just going to watch and enjoy.

reading the OP made me feel true hatred for Trump, thinking of someone who had spent 10 years helping America and surely risking his life multiple times, just getting denied because of his ethnicity.. i can't help it anymore, i absolutely HATE Trump and his cronies.

The precedent this sets is kind of absurd if you think about it. If the president can make an executive order to block even valid green card and visa holders from traveling, to any country of his choosing (with language as vague as "indefinitely"), what's to stop him from doing so to "friendly" nations like Canada or Germany if the leadership pisses him off, or to a country like China as part of a misguided negotiation ploy?

Jmille99

And according to some who support this, it's all under the illusion of "National Security".

Just burn this country to the ground and let's start over. At least we will start out further ahead than we will be once Trump is finished.

Kifimbo

why would they attack America now? they achieved their goal, they broke the West. now they're just going to watch and enjoy.

Because the US bombed their country and now the US makes it harder to leave their destroyed country.

This is really worrying.

Partially because of how absolutely pointless and stupid it is, and how segments of the public are lapping it up as a great thing.

News comments have gone from hatred, to fucking delusion.

Mahonay

Banned
Made my first angry political post on Facebook in many years. I have always made it a point to not scream about politics on Facebook. Today was officially too much for me.

This is what I posted, along with a link to the story that this thread is about.
Shame on everyone who tried to suggest Hillary and Trump were equally bad during the election. Innocent people are being held at airports across the country right now and are unable to even speak to their lawyers.

Let this be a lesson that everyone needs to educate themselves before they vote. Trump is doing exactly what he promised. If you voted for Trump, or withheld your vote on purpose, you are accountable for what is happening today. This is not a Reality TV. This is not a game.

The precedent this sets is kind of absurd if you think about it. If the president can make an executive order to block even valid green card and visa holders from traveling, to any country of his choosing (with language as vague as "indefinitely"), what's to stop him from doing so to "friendly" nations like Canada or Germany if the leadership pisses him off, or to a country like China as part of a misguided negotiation ploy?

What we're seeing is basically the collapse of rule of law in the US. The scariest part at this point is how trivially easy it has been for Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom