• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raise the not the sword, but the picket sign. March with brothers and sisters, and let your songs bolster your spirits. Democracy is not dead yet, strike while the iron is hot.

Protesters crowding this terminal still vow to stay until people released from #SFO #MuslimBan. Flight arrived from Istanbul not long ago.
IF YOU'RE AT PROTESTS DO NOT LEAVE. MAKE SURE EVERYONE IS SAFE AND GETS TO LEAVE

What does "Stay is granted" mean? Is this a constitutional challenge, a freeze on the deportations?

I don't know much about Law and am very confused

Temporary freeze on the execution of the order pending further legal review.

Basically WH counsel will appeal this decision, but while that decision is going on, the ban will not in place.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Crazy the disparity between places like this and places on the other side of the political spectrum, its like reading about two entirely different worlds.

C3S3pRZW8AEMU6L.jpg

https://twitter.com/StacyStClair/status/825486560237907968

Heroes all of them

Dierce

This is only the beginning of the fight. As a previous poster said, this was designed by bannon to appeal to the racist base knowing very well it is unconstitutional. They will try it again under other circumstances to distract from their own pilfering and corruption.

teiresias

I've never seen an EO be overridden by the court before. Surreal.

Umm, weren't a few of Obama's just overturned a few months ago?

Nothing about this is blatently trivial nor will it be until bannons run out on a rail.

I just mean in terms of actual trained lawyers being able to make legal arguments against them in litigation.

I think I'm going to be donating continuously to the ACLU, Southern Poverty Law Center, and Lambda Legal.

Ashby

Christ, the movie theatre scene from Inglorious Basterds is on TNT right now and in this political climate it feels downright subversive. What the fuck.

faisal233

I've never seen an EO be overridden by the court before. Surreal.

Nah, its nothing extraordinary. Obama had EO overturned, but usually EO's are vetted by the executive branch and aren't blatantly unconstitutional. They get fought in court over minutia and don't usually get stayed in less than 24hrs.

zma1013

When I post the picture on here should I keep the confirmation code visible or block it out?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Get fucked Trump, I hope you have a breakdown on national TV over this. I hope Conway spins around so fast trying to speak out both sides of her mouth, she takes off and busts a hole in the ceiling.

Also, as others have said, protesting works. Protesting is the only way half the shit in history has ever gotten done.

Don't let anyone ever again tell you protesting isn't something "adults with jobs" do. That it's "embarrassing". Or "childish". That's bullshit and they do not have the best interests of you, yours, or your country in mind.

Kaelan

So fucking happy. Gonna donate to the ACLU tonight, man they are heroes. We should get a thread posted about this news also BTW. We won this fight, more to come...

Amagon

I tried to remove myself from politics in my life but with recent events with the newly elect POTUS and the regime change that I am witnessing, especially today's just shocking bullshit.

I donated $$$ to the ACLU to fight this injustice. This is not the America I had come and loved, just ain't right on what's going on now with our country.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So is this where Trump tries to have the ACLU declared a terrorist organization?

Speaking of which, would it be totally out of line for the SPLC to declare the entire Trump administration a hate group?

Zoggy

BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews

Airport protests tonight against President Trump's refugee ban:
✔️ NYC
✔️ DC
✔️ Chicago
✔️ Dallas
✔️ Denver
✔️ LA
✔️ SF
✔️ Seattle
✔️ Boston

These cities, I fucks with you.
I take back any shit I said about these cities

gamz

My Wife and I are itching to get to O'hare. If we could find a baby-sister we'd be there by now. So proud of Chicago!

Kasumin

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I get the sense that this was just Bannon testing the waters.

The guy is all about chaos and confusion. And tearing down the system, apparently.

faisal233

Fuck I wish I could join. As a federal attorney I can't serve as counsel for anyone besides the fed. Breaks my heart.

For any non-fed reading this, drive to your nearest airport and pitch in with some legal counsel.

Then ask to defend the EO in court. You know what to do.

Garlador

You are strongest than you know, Americans...

Proud of you for standing up to hatred tonight. I look forward to standing with you all again soon.

GetLucky

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I get the sense that this was just Bannon testing the waters.

The guy is all about chaos and confusion. And tearing down the system, apparently.

That's true, but the good news is we have proven we will fight back, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom