• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Refugees and immigrants being detained at US airports right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proxy

The Republican congress seems unlikely to impeach this asshole. So the judiciary is our last legal hope at this point. I hope whatever psychotic the fascist scum finds to nominate to the Supreme Court causes an inflection point for some of the conservatives on the bench.

BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews

Airport protests tonight against President Trump's refugee ban:
✔️ NYC
✔️ DC
✔️ Chicago
✔️ Dallas
✔️ Denver
✔️ LA
✔️ SF
✔️ Seattle
✔️ Boston

These cities, I fucks with you.
giphy.gif

Beartruck

Can't wait for the inevitable salty tweet from the cheeto lord.

Flipped to fox news just out of curiosity and instantly they were praising trump and comparing him to Roosevelt. Wtf

Roosevelt would punch Trump in the mouth, if only for his views towards the environment, nevermind the other stuff(assuming we're talking about Teddy, FDR would still probably run over his toes with his wheelchair).

Cagey

Banned
serious ethical violation. better to just stay out of it than suggest self-sabotage.

the eo won't stand on its own anyway
Not my domain anyway, but yeah.

It's going to be interesting to see what sort of exodus happens this year from the rank and file attorneys in the Justice Department. Particularly with a hiring freeze.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Can I call Trump a fascist now without people telling me "he is bad, but not a complete fascist".

Also, the scary thing is not only how insane Trump is (we knew that), but how fast the system adapt to his orders.
Yup.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I get the sense that this was just Bannon testing the waters.

The guy is all about chaos and confusion. And tearing down the system, apparently.

For fuck's sake stop bed-wetting (yes I did it)

The alternative was for this ban to stay in place and THEN Trump-Bannon shit-stains would know they can do what they want.

They know that for now at least they have to lawyer up their crap

TheMan

on the plus side, cheetoh turd is BURNING through his political capital. His "allies" in the GOP will hopefully find their fucking balls and stand up to this menace. dems have said they were gonna stop giving him a free pass, and as of now I hope they fucking act accordingly.

Bulk_Rate

To cause chaos

He wants to see it burn

I'm not a lawyer but every meaningful action by Trump that has sown chaos thus far (Mexico, Immigration Ban) could be interpreted as the acts of party (Trump and his close circle) who don't understand that other actors have agency and can do stuff - almost like Intro Game Theory 101.

I choose to interpet this as a sign of weakness from Trump and his team.

Fiancée and I are muslims in Canada, just donated!

also poutine all around on us

A taco has been raised from Mexico!

North America represent

I'm not a lawyer but every meaningful action by Trump that has sown chaos thus far (Mexico, Immigration Ban) could be interpreted as the acts of party (Trump and his close circle) who don't understand that other actors have agency and can do stuff - almost like Intro Game Theory 101.

I choose to interpet this as a sign of weakness from Trump and his team.

Trump is used to being the big bully. He thinks that being POTUS means he is the big bully of the world. He fails to realize that other countries can be even bigger bullies and have been playing at the world stage for much much longer than him.

He is the new kid at school wanting to run the show, but quickly being slapped down to submission

Make sure to tell all of your families, your friends, co-workers, whoever, to let them know what ACLU is & make a donation to them, whatever it's in real life or on social media. If they can't, then protest. Go wild.

It's the only way some shit will get done.

This is so fucked up. What terrorist attacks have we had no American soil fro immigrants? Can anyone explain that to me? Surely we're doing something right if we're not having any attacks. So how will a ban stop terrorists? Let's just turn America into a iron fort and build a wall around the whole country...! We're so screwed.

Boke1879

The gop has to be thinking if they keep this shit up it will be political suicide

That's why some GOP members spoke out.

I'm going to say this. Trump is fucking up. He's doing too much way too fucking fast.

Bannon is like a kid in a candy store. He has all this access and wants to do it all right now.

Trump could have gotten away with this shit if he knew politics and took his time. Went to congress told them his plan and been "pragmatic" about it.

Congress could have drafted up something that said outside of those that have visas and green cards we're going to be more aggressive on the vetting process of those coming from these (insert countries here).

But no. They are doing too much too fast and people are paying attention.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews

Airport protests tonight against President Trump's refugee ban:
✔️ NYC
✔️ DC
✔️ Chicago
✔️ Dallas
✔️ Denver
✔️ LA
✔️ SF
✔️ Seattle
✔️ Boston

These cities, I fucks with you.

Living in DC....even tho I be sad at times now I'm also proud to be here when things like this happen.

So wait, this ban is still in effect, just NOT for people going to the US or already there?

WTF?

That is still a shit proposition!

That EO has to GO

The gop have to be thinking if they keep this shit up it will be political suicide

I was an outspoken moderate that barely cared about politics before this election. I voted, but that's it for most of my life.

I am livid with the GOP and many of the Dems. I am not going back to being complacent for the rest of my life.

Bannon knew this shit wouldn't last and was flat out illegal

What was the play?
The "art of the deal." They proposed something ludicrously bad, so if/when it gets overturned, they can come back with something that seems far less terrible and people will accept it in relief that it's not as bad as the first attempt. Overton Window type stuff.

Eylos

Banned
Bannon knew this shit wouldn't last and was flat out illegal

What was the play?
a common practice in politics is to do something beyond what they want to see the reception, if nobody says nothing, its the dream for they, but if people revolt, they change it to something they originaly wanted, and sometimes they can turn people and media to their side, if people still dont like the new law, because the government listened and the people that still protest dont, and are unreasonable

i saw this a number of times

The gop have to be thinking if they keep this shit up it will be political suicide

They probably don't really know what to do. On one hand this is absolutely rallying a bunch of American's together, but on the other hand they saw what happened to them when they spoke out against Trump when the Access Hollywood tape leaked. Despite the presidential victory, Trump's decisions have more than likely fucked their party in a way that they can't fix it.

The "art of the deal." They proposed something ludicrously bad, so if/when it gets overturned, they can come back with something that seems far less terrible and people will accept it in relief that it's not as bad as the first attempt. Overton Window type stuff.

Except this is no business negotiation. They are galvanizing and burning through their approval rating pretty fast

So prettt much people need to keep fighting

This; Remember shit such as SOPA, PIPA, etc.?

RDreamer

a common practice in politics is to do something beyond what they want to see the reception, if nobody says nothing, its the dream for they, but if people revolt, they change it to something they originaly wanted, and sometimes they can turn people and media to their side, if people still dont like the new law, because the government listened and the people that still protest dont, and are unreasonable

i saw this a number of times

Uh... usually they do this with leaks. They'll float an idea and then distance themselves from it if it goes wrong. But even doing that sort of plan with an official press secretary like they did with the 20% tax thing is nuts, and doing it with actual implemented law is completely reckless and nuts beyond belief. It doesn't have the same effects as trial ballooning an idea at all.

Kasumin

For fuck's sake stop bed-wetting (yes I did it)

The alternative was for this ban to stay in place and THEN Trump-Bannon shit-stains would know they can do what they want.

They know that for now at least they have to lawyer up their crap

I wasn't saying that the win was pointless or that they shouldn't have bothered, geez.

My bad for being so terse. What I mean is that Bannon doesn't give a shit about the system. I see this as him testing the waters so that he can figure out a way to go around the judicial system. And it's that part that concerns me. I just wish there was a way to keep the attention on his actions because he's one of the biggest villains here. Main stream news outlets are so bad about focusing on something as subtle as his influence.

Damn, man. I don't even know what to say. Words of gratitude are just not adequate.

Personally I think Bannon wants protestors to either give up or cross the line so he can keep them from protesting by point at their violent/destructive acts.

Then he can clamp down and either arrest you or you will be quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom