• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYTimes: Vast Group of New Video Games and Hardware Jostle for Holiday Attention

Tripon

They are all jostling for attention during the end of the year, which is when around 40 percent of the industry’s sales take place, according to Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Securities.

“The lineup of hardware and software this holiday will look to some to be an evil conspiracy specifically designed to drain the wallets of hard-core gamers,” Mr. Pachter said.

Continue reading the main story
The choices might be made even more complicated by the question of whether to buy a game title or just rent it. NPD Group, a research firm that tracks retail sales in the United States, is projecting an increase in spending on rental games from services like GameFly and Redbox, as more people opt to try titles before they purchase.

On Nov. 10, Sony will release the PlayStation 4 Pro console, which will offer more processing power than the PlayStation 4 and include 4K display resolution. The $399 console will support Sony’s new virtual reality headset, PlayStation VR. Also costing $399, PlayStation VR is competing with other virtual reality systems like the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

Nintendo will also release a new console next month: the $59 NES Classic Edition, a smaller version of its NES console from 1985. It includes a controller and 30 preinstalled classic Nintendo games, like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong and Pac-Man.

Microsoft, meanwhile, jumped ahead of the pack in August with a new, slimmed-down version of the Xbox One, the $299 Xbox One S, which comes with 4K Blu-ray and 4K video streaming. The company has also announced that a new virtual reality-enabled console, Project Scorpio, will be released during the 2017 holiday season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/27/t...nd-hardware-jostle-for-holiday-attention.html

Is NES Classic projected to be that successful? It seems like a very niche-oriented product.
It seems like a very effective mass-market product, honestly. Cheap enough to make a good Christmas gift, and very appealing for a generation that has growing nostalgia for the NES. I think they'll do quite well for Nintendo.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is NES Classic projected to be that successful? It seems like a very niche-oriented product.

Anecdotal, of course, but several people I know who really haven't given a damn about video games in years are actually really excited for it. I dunno how they even heard about it. It'll be interesting to see how it does, at any rate.

Toxi

Banned
It seems like a very effective mass-market product, honestly. Cheap enough to make a good Christmas gift, and very appealing for a generation that has growing nostalgia for the NES. I think they'll do quite well for Nintendo.
Are nostalgic NES lovers the mass market?

I don't see kids asking for 8-bit games for Christmas.

Fisty

This year has been stupid expensive for me, I'll be recovering for a while on this one. And I'll probably be doing it again in 3 years lol

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Are nostalgic NES lovers the mass market?

I don't see kids asking for 8-bit games for Christmas.

the platform sold over 60 million units over its lifetime so yeah I'd say there's a "mass" of people who might fondly remember it

Top Bottom