• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

At this point it's completely bewildering that they will stop at nothing to get Roman over.

They pushed Cena for YEARS until he actually turned into a semi-decent wrestler. He got booed for large portions of his earlier career quite vehemently by the crowds.

Interestingly I find Cena to be at his best when he comes to NY and gets booed. I like the slight heel moments he does and his reaction to 'you can't wrestle' chants.

The difference is that Cena was over as a upper/top level guy with the hardcore fans.

His wrestling was never great, but he cut fantastic promos. When they turned him face AND went PG, it was a double whammy he never recovered from. Those poopy raps were beyond awful. Some wrestlers may have been able to win fans back with their in-ring, but since Cena never had that he was stuffed.

In comparison, Reigns never got over on his own. He got over doing power spots as part of a group where he had to do little talking. As soon as he was on his own he was in trouble. He never had that period of fans thinking he, on his own, was great like Cena did.

wwf pushed cena based off something solid, while they're pushing reigns based on nothing.
Also Cena never had something like the Reigns Rumble, which was so incredibly hamfisted and insulting to the hardcore fans its unlikely they'll ever forgive him. I still have no idea what Vince was thinking with that kane/show stupidity.

wwf pushed cena based off something solid, while they're pushing reigns based on nothing.
Also Cena never had something like the Reigns Rumble, which was so incredibly hamfisted and insulting to the hardcore fans its unlikely they'll ever forgive him. I still have no idea what Vince was thinking with that kane/show stupidity.

Completely forgot about that. You aren't wrong. The booing in the stadium was incredible....

Maybe he'll be demoted to intercontinental and eventually have to team with Goldust

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I don't know, I've always thought Cena was good in the ring and I think he's definitely won hardcore fans back over with his run starting with the '15 Rumble triple threat. (Probably getting demolished at SS 14, honestly.) Like, his match with RVD, his feud with Edge, they were relatively early in his career and they're still some of his career highlights.

Completely forgot about that. You aren't wrong. The booing in the stadium was incredible....

Maybe he'll be demoted to intercontinental and eventually have to team with Goldust

Golden Reign has a nice touch to it.

A Golden Roman is something a member of the Rock and Roll Express enjoyed with ladies of the night in hotel rooms across the country during their run through the territories.

I don't know, I've always thought Cena was good in the ring and I think he's definitely won hardcore fans back over with his run starting with the '15 Rumble triple threat. (Probably getting demolished at SS 14, honestly.) Like, his match with RVD, his feud with Edge, they were relatively early in his career and they're still some of his career highlights.

I disagree there. His feud with Edge I found incredibly boring. It's part of the reason why I started to find CM Punk boring too. Apart from their one epic match - the rest was getting stale really fast.

Cena polarises audiences but personally I've never found him anything other than an "Irish Whip - Shoulder block - Scoop Slam - STF - Attitude Adjustment" sort of wrestler with zero diversity.

Cu-E73dWYAAj9--.jpg

XFL coming back?

Legit don't give a shit about Lesnar vs Goldberg

Goldberg Vs Undertaker on the other hand.....

Also pointless but at least it's a bit more of a spectacle. The problem with Goldberg is I imagine he's signed a year contract and fans will never get behind him simply because he has no longevity.

At least when the rock returned after ten years he won the title and had a legit run

His stunner, his destroyer, his STF...they all look horrible. His fireman's carry finisher doesn't even look like it hurts much. His selling is also bad.

After a few years he learnt how to hold his own though. His matches with HBK (especially the london one) and his last man standing against Umaga were the earliest examples of that to me. The HBK ones would have been 2007, about two and a half years into his big push. After that I thought "if he's in the ring with someone good it'll be at least a pretty good match". But I've always kind of looked down on him because of how bad his sell is, and that's never gotten better.

His stunner, his destroyer, his STF...they all look horrible. His fireman's carry finisher doesn't even look like it hurts much. His selling is also bad.

After a few years he learnt how to hold his own though. His matches with HBK (especially the london one) and his last man standing against Umaga were the earliest examples of that to me. The HBK ones would have been 2007, about two and a half years into his big push. After that I thought "if he's in the ring with someone good it'll be at least a pretty good match". But I've always kind of looked down on him because of how bad his sell is, and that's never gotten better.

My favourite Cena moment is when Brock legit bust his head open with those sick elbows. I think at Summerslam '14. He looked so confused and helpless.

Can't link to it because the original site with the article that was in the magazine went under, but Vince once said on the record about his stepdad "it's unfortunate that he died before I could kill him. I would've enjoyed that."

Unsurprisingly the stepdad, as all McMahons are, was an asshole. Still, being that candid about it was eye-opening, and that was back in 2001!

Wasn't that the step father that was physically abusive to him and his mother? Then later he was sexually abused by his step mother. It's really no wonder Vince is the way he is given his childhood.

fucking lmao

Cu9iZmVWAAADjhk.jpg

I am so confused...

Sephzilla

They pushed Cena for YEARS until he actually turned into a semi-decent wrestler. He got booed for large portions of his earlier career quite vehemently by the crowds.

Interestingly I find Cena to be at his best when he comes to NY and gets booed. I like the slight heel moments he does and his reaction to 'you can't wrestle' chants.

Cena actually had a time period where he organically got over on his own though, which is something Roman hasn't had. US Champ Cena and even early WWE Champ Cena was pretty over as fuck and the crowds didn't really turn on him until the WrestleMania he fight JBL.

Lesnar was supposed to lose, what - a year and a half ago now?

And they still don't have someone for him to lose to. Joe would be perfect if he was at least five years younger.

I think Roman beating him was still the plan a few months back. I hope it's not now.

Sephzilla

The original plan for Lesnar was probably to have him lose clean at WrestleMania 31. But Roman never got over and Vince didn't want his dream moment shat on.

Rodeo Clown

Once again blowing the Brock trumpet -

CM Punk Vs Brock at Survivor series 14 (I think)
HHH vs Brock in a steel cage (from the same era)...

Both fantastic matches

His match with Punk is good. But it's also before he was this current incarnation of the character where he doesn't do anything except some suplexes, hit an F5 and leave. He's untouchable and it's boring as hell right now. This is why they have to call in part timers like Undertaker and 50 year-old Goldberg out of retirement to come fight him: nobody looks like a remotely credibly match.

Until he starts wrestling again or looks remotely beatable, there's nothing there.

Sephzilla

I'm still pissed we never got Daniel Bryan vs Brock Lesnar at WM31. Would have been so incredibly hyped and a perfect way to end the God King Lesnar story.

Lesnar was supposed to lose, what - a year and a half ago now?

And they still don't have someone for him to lose to. Joe would be perfect if he was at least five years younger.

I think Roman beating him was still the plan a few months back. I hope it's not now.

Holy shit that's a good point.....
Lesnar vs Joe would be a sick rivalry. I really really hope they go down that angle. If they market and promote that properly (LOL) then that could be a seriously good rivalry.

Believable

Holy shit that's a good point.....
Lesnar vs Joe would be a sick rivalry. I really really hope they go down that angle. If they market and promote that properly (LOL) then that could be a seriously good rivalry.

Believable

That's my prediction for Mania 33. Joe will likely join the main roster after Takeover Toronto, and be built up as a major threat. It's a big-time dream match, and Joe and Lesnar aren't getting any younger.

Sephzilla

That's my prediction for Mania 33. Joe will likely join the main roster after Takeover Toronto, and be built up as a major threat. It's a big-time dream match, and Joe and Lesnar aren't getting any younger.

I'm pretty sure Vince doesn't have his finger on the pulse of what dream matches are anymore considering we never got Bryan vs Lesnar, Sting vs Undertaker, Punk vs Austin...

The only problem I can see is why are they bringing Goldberg back?

If it's not to face Lesnar then that only really leaves Undertaker, and with this being Takers last mania (many people predict) then it seems pointless for them both.

I'd hate to see a Samoa Joe vs Roman Reigns angle and sadly I can see that crap happening.

I'm pretty sure Vince doesn't have his finger on the pulse of what dream matches are anymore considering we never got Bryan vs Lesnar, Sting vs Undertaker, Punk vs Austin...

That's a little harsh on Vince, Bryan Lesnar was planned for Summerslam 14 had Bryan kept the belt and I don't believe for a second that a Punk v Austin match was on the cards. They coulda had him as a manager but that's it.

Are you crazy?!? We got the dream match. Sting vs The Game, The King of Kings, The Cerebral Assassin!

Joe could be Brock, except he can work more often and has better matches.

Joe vs Brock they could make amazing.

Have them keep teasing confrontation at promos
Obliterating each other back stage
Interfering in each others matches
Eliminating each other at the rumble
Joe injuring Heyman

Then finally they compete and begin a rivalry. If they have a proper stiff match like they are both capable of and don't use so many bloody rest holds.....

It could be huge.

Rodeo Clown

Joe should work pretty seamlessly as a monster heel.

I really don't think that after the success that AJ has had on the main roster that people (I'm talking about Vince) should be worried about TNA guys coming in. Bobby Roode will be fine, too.

Sephzilla

Joe vs Brock is a match I absolutely fucking want, especially if they could get the okay to blade during the match. It would basically be the Godzilla vs King Kong of wrestling matches.

Top Bottom