• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Undertaker is, in the most respectful way, the definitive B+ player of the WWE. Pretty good wrestler with an established presence but never THE guy. A good guy to have on your team but I would and have never watched an event just to see what happens with The Undertaker. Closest I'd ever put him as a top tier guy would be Big Evil Heel Taker. Even with the Ministry stuff he always felt second to Vince.

Zach

I can honestly understand finding pre-Attitude Era Undertaker boring from a certain point of few. But Undertaker was basically awesome from roughly his WrestleMania with Diesel onwards.

I dunno, I rolled my eyes a lot. Just super dorky, soap-y, goth nonsense. Maybe if I listened to Type O Negative like you and NVM I would've enjoyed his schtick.

Paul Bearer was easily the most entertaining person involved in the Taker/Kane storyline.

And now Biker Taker is just hilarious. Such a bad look... and chewing tobacco and crap. Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit -- the works!

As much of a fiery hot mess the whole Paige/Del Rio thing has been with every step of it leading to an all out war between English and Mexican wrestling promotions to the likes that which the world has never seen, I wish them the best.

Because we don't want that war. We cannot and will not handle all the carny that will ensue.

Sephzilla

Undertaker is, in the most respectful way, the definitive B+ player of the WWE. Pretty good wrestler with an established presence but never THE guy. A good guy to have on your team but I would and have never watched an event just to see what happens with The Undertaker. Closest I'd ever put him as a top tier guy would be Big Evil Heel Taker. Even with the Ministry stuff he always felt second to Vince.

As a huge Undertaker mark, I can honestly agree with this mindset. Vince was always the #1 villain of the attitude era, Undertaker was basically the super scary boss you fought before getting to Vince. For what it's worth, I thought Big Evil Heel Taker was a top-tier character and I kind of feel like his later "Streak" matches at WrestleMania put him into the top-tier too because those matches usually ended up being the biggest attractions of the night.

I would have taker on my top 5 if he had never had the underbiker run. Ministry Taker theme wasnt around nearly long enough

I wasn't a fan of American Badass Undertaker but Big Evil Taker was really good

How goes it, friends?

I'm trying to buy a house for the first time. Turns out it's a carny system full of unexpected swerves. Just when you think things are going your way, someone grabs a handful of tights, brother.

Anyway, how's Raw? Is it drawing under a million viewers yet?

imBask

Banned
Current Fave Five :

5. Johnster Cenardo
4. Jericho
3. Rollins
... huge gap...
2. Kevin Owens
1. The face that runs the place

Taker has always been the absolute drizzling shits on the mic.He's never been all that interesting in the ring either. His best feuds were never as a result of him, but because of whoever he was facing.

My favorite aspect of Taker is the backstage stuff like Wrestler's Court or being a cool advice figure for a lot of the other wrestlers.

ALL TIME FAVE FIVE:

5. X-Pac (I really liked him as a kid for some reason)
4. Chris Jericho (favorite growing up)
3. Daniel Bryan (Could leave list entirely if his dumb ass decides to wrestle again)
2. CM Punk (reinvigorated wrasslin' for me. First wrestling shirt I bought)
1. Chris Benoit (not even trying to meme)

CURRENT FAVE FIVE:

5. Jericho
4. Cena
3. AJ
2. Owens
1. Charlotte

Good lists. Not so sure of 123, his wrestling was great, but he wasn't a good promo (which Benoit wasn't either to be fair, but his intensity gave him presence and added a sincerity and weight to what he was saying and made it effective).

Tagyhag

I knew that Jimmy Wang Yang was doing that party bus business, but watching that Where Are They Now? kinda bummed me. You could tell he really misses wrestling.

Fave Five NOW!

TJP (Even if he's a fan of the hot trash that is the N64, should've stayed broken)
Styles
Cena
Bryan
Jericho

HM: Tony Nese. He's pretty good.

Fave Five FOREVER!

Eddie
Styles
Punk
Bryan
Angle

Sephzilla

Taker has always been the absolute drizzling shits on the mic.He's never been all that interesting in the ring either. His best feuds were never as a result of him, but because of whoever he was facing.

My favorite aspect of Taker is the backstage stuff like Wrestler's Court or being a cool advice figure for a lot of the other wrestlers.

I wouldn't say he was shit on the mic, he was always pretty serviceable. Like, he was good enough to not sink promo segments, but never really made a promo better himself. Basically he seemed like he knew his promo limits and worked within that.

Kaladin

Taker made up for what he lacked in mic skills with his presence. Guy has a presence that could fill an arena and it comes naturally. Nobody has ever come close to that quality of presence he possesses IMO....and he had it from day 1 as Undertaker.

How goes it, friends?

I'm trying to buy a house for the first time. Turns out it's a carny system full of unexpected swerves. Just when you think things are going your way, someone grabs a handful of tights, brother.

Anyway, how's Raw? Is it drawing under a million viewers yet?
Don't buy until you become a millionaire.

nspbpO.gif

Sephzilla

Plus Undertaker deserves all of the credit in the world for being pretty much the only person to ever take one of Vince's 80s and 90s comic book character gimmicks and actually make a sustainable career out of it. The Undertaker gimmick on paper should have been a year or two run that ended with him being Hogan food, and the fucker turned it into a three decade long career.

Nekofrog

Banned
Takers biggest problem on the mic even from the era he was best (ministry) was the direction given to him. Felt like someone told him "be as fucking verbose as you can. Learn as many 5 syllable words you can and use ten of them in every sentence". Just fucking be an evil asshole Christ

Good lists. Not so sure of 123, his wrestling was great, but he wasn't a good promo( which Benoit wasn't either to be fair, but his intensity gave him presence and added a sincerity and weight to what he was saying and made it effective).

He's always been great in the ring. And like I said, as a kid I just enjoyed his ring style, I wasn't watching WCW back then, so I enjoyed the kicks and flippy shit. His mannerisms were always funny to me. He's on there purely for nostalgia and the fact that later on in life, I actually learned he was pretty competent in the ring.

I definitely expect my all time list to alter and shift around a lot. But Jericho and 123 are permanent residents for sure, just because of their impact in terms of keeping Kid Lake entertained long enough to get to the even better stuff.

That said, I can see guys like Owens for example, making the list and taking Benoit's spot-- Because like you said, Benoit was a terrible promo, but the story he told in the ring was amazing. So logically a guy like Owens who can tell a story both in and outside the ring can naturally take that spot. Just needs more time and for his career to wrap up before he's an ALL TIME GUY.

Shoot: people only hate Undertaker now because they his 30-50 minutes at Wrestlemania would go to their favorites if he wasn't around, when the reality is you'd just get 3 live performances from a band that was relevant 10 years ago.

Bluekaveli likes big show, mark Henry and Kane.

Nothing wrong with Kane. He's been great since 1997.

Henry only had two good years after he figured it out before injuries finished him, but that did include one of the best monster heel runs in wwf history.

Big show had the potential, but they wasted it making him goofy. If Vince had booked him right, he could have been another Andre.

I wouldn't say he was shit on the mic, he was always pretty serviceable. Like, he was good enough to not sink promo segments, but never really made a promo better himself. Basically he seemed like he knew his promo limits and worked within that.

Plus Undertaker deserves all of the credit in the world for being pretty much the only person to ever take one of Vince's 80s and 90s comic book character gimmicks and actually make a sustainable career out of it. The Undertaker gimmick on paper should have been a year or two run that ended with him being Hogan food, and the fucker turned it into a three decade long career.

I guess what i'm trying to get at is a mix of both your points? Promo's early in his WWF run were fine because there were plenty of characters like him. But during the "REAL" wrestler era, where people are shootin' and are extensions of themselves, we get some out of place guy who we're supposed to buy that he has legit super powers and is undead. His character and promo often felt really out of place, and by nature fell super flat with me. Which is sad because he has a great voice and presence.

Then HE tried to be a REAL ASS DUDE with Biker Taker and that was just the drizzling shits. His promos were fuck awful, corny and he had some of the worst catch phrases during the attitude era. I believe what saved him during that period of time was having a Limp Bizkit theme and riding a bike to the ring. That's what kept him over.

Feel free to argue otherwise, but choose your words carefully. Or else I'm gonna make you famous, boy.

v9RltK.gif

Kaladin

I love how Undertaker essentially became the final boss of the WWE with the streak. He went up against HBK, HHH and others who tried and failed. I don't know if Brock Lesnar was the right person to end it with, but he is taking over that role for Taker at Mania. He's the guy to be put in a big marquee match with and try to beat. An alternative path to greatness at Mania is no longer beating the streak, it's conquering the beast.

I'm not paying enough attention for a current fave five, although I would assume AJ, Owens and comeback 'kid' Jericho would be in there. Ambrose assuredly wouldn't.

I got into the wrassles when Taker debuted. Few can ever proclaim to be 'instantly iconic' but he certainly was. That said, when someone is as active for as long as he is in our favourite carnival, there's going to be some mis-steps.

Fave Five Shit Undertaker Moments

1) Losing the rumble match to Yoko, mutating into Marty Janetty and ascending to... zombie heaven?
2) That stupid phantom of the opera mask
3) Coming back called 'American Badass" while taking style cues from Duke the Dumpster Droese
4) Bringing the dead man back in '04 (or was it sooner?) with the not-long-enough hair
5) Taker vs Taker (and Paul Bearer's extra dumb spotlight urn).

Bluekaveli likes big show, mark Henry and Kane. Save yourself some trouble and put him on ignore
You wanna fight about it?
I'll never be a millionaire Blue, but it's ok - you're welcome to swing in to the housewarming

Always got time for the Z-Man. I shouldn't remind you of a white hummer though, house buying stress keeps the weight at bay.
That's exactly how I'd swing in too.

"You're fast asleep while I sneak in your casa!"

Sephzilla

I love how Undertaker essentially became the final boss of the WWE with the streak. He went up against HBK, HHH and others who tried and failed. I don't know if Brock Lesnar was the right person to end it with, but he is taking over that role for Taker at Mania. He's the guy to be put in a big marquee match with and try to beat. An alternative path to greatness at Mania is no longer beating the streak, it's conquering the beast.

Yeah, a lot should be said about the fact that Undertaker's WrestleMania matches for a while ended up becoming more important than the World Title matches.

I'm not paying enough attention for a current fave five, although I would assume AJ, Owens and comeback 'kid' Jericho would be in there. Ambrose assuredly wouldn't.

Ambrose is actually my favorite of the Shield. But his run during the past year/two years(?) has been pretty lackluster. Not to mention his reign was terrible and the Austin interview really soured me on him further.

I REAAALLY want to like Dean, I really do. But when you're getting out-promo'd by fucking Dolph Ziggler, I can't even defend you anymore.

You know what? you're a cool guy, Groovy...

tumblr_nghvf1lW0L1sbzhteo1_400.0.gif

DONT YOU TALK ABOUT MY BOY, BLUE LIKE THAT. A MAN WHO LIKES HENRY AND KANE HAS GOOD TASTES!
These indie darling marks will never understand the greatness of those guys. We were not worthy.

Show and Kane were the only good thing about the rr 2015. They should've eliminated the whole roster.

I can maybe get hating Kane for the last ten to fifteen years but some of you really have hated Kane from the very start when he had the greatest wrestling look going around and one of the GOAT debuts of all time?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sleazy indies get how Pentagon Jr works best
gfhdfghdfgp3sqj.gif

TV writers at El Rey like 'what if like he jobs to everyone including 100 pound japanese girls!'

That would have undoubtedly gone down better then what actually happened lol
Kane, Show, and Brock in the ME of 31 would've been money. A double F-5 then Kane jumps up only to set Brock on fire by chokeslamming him through a fiery table.

I can maybe get hating Kane for the last ten to fifteen years but some of you really have hated Kane from the very start when he had the greatest wrestling look going around and one of the GOAT debuts of all time?
Some people need to be slapped.

Kane stopped being good when he lost the mask
I actually liked Kane when he was first unmasked. The idea that his "scars" were psychological is pretty good, and he was booked like an unstoppable monster for the first time in years. And there's certainly some enjoyment to be had in him electrocuting Shane's balls.

He started sucking when he was booked like Triple H's floozy in that triple threat match, and then getting squashed by the Undertaker at WM 20.

I actually liked Kane when he was first unmasked. The idea that his "scars" were psychological is pretty good, and he was booked like an unstoppable monster for the first time in years. And there's certainly some enjoyment to be had in him electrocuting Shane's balls.

He started sucking when he was booked like Triple H's floozy in that triple threat match, and then getting squashed by the Undertaker at WM 20.

Un-masked Kane didn't start to become true shit till he was involved with Edge/Matt/Lita/Snitsky

Top Bottom