• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

ashton-kutcher-danny-masterson-wwe-raw-wrestling_3795163.jpg

Help.
#RATINGS

Who isn't nostalgic for That 70's Show and the superior Steve Jobs movie?

One thing I'm getting massively tired of seeing when it comes to defending a wrestler: Blaming the writing

This comes up a ton Wreddit, but it's honestly the weakest argument IMO. The most recent example is related to Mick as GM and how he's part of the problem on RAW. People are blaming the "material" and how it gives him nothing to work with. These guys are entertainers (sorry Haitch) and their job is to work with what they're given, and turn it into something more.

One thing I'm getting massively tired of seeing when it comes to defending a wrestler: Blaming the writing

This comes up a ton Wreddit, but it's honestly the weakest argument IMO. The most recent example is related to Mick as GM and how he's part of the problem on RAW. People are blaming the "material" and how it gives him nothing to work with. These guys are entertainers (sorry Haitch) and their job is to work with what they're given, and turn it into something more.

Mick can't even read the shit they give him, yet alone deliver it in a convincing manner

The WWE should absolutely pay for acting classes for these schmucks. Even a few classes would probably dramatically improve the delivery of those that sound like a wooden plank when reading off a script.

Menome

Sandow was proof that you can turn shit into massively-over gold if you're a good enough entertainer.

It's a shame wrestlers have to battle with a heavy, poorly written script to prove their worth.

Especially when heavy scripts have actually hurt the product over the years and shouldn't even be a factor.

Haven't ever heard that, but I'd love to know if that was the case.

I would wonder what the fuck their teaching methods are if they do teach acting classes though, lol.
Yeah, promo classes are a thing at the PC. Plus in NXT most people have ages to practice their promos, hence why they tend to be delivered better.

Heroman

Banned
Friends,

The Tiger Mask W anime is all shooting. A guy
gets rana'd off the side of a mountain
and the other guys were just like, hahaha well yeah what was he thinking messing with that guy. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Okada was the only NJPW guy to show up in the first episode and he was just hanging out in the locker room with a young boy. (゚ー゚;)
Is pro wrestling a shoot in that universe?

Kaladin

Got damn,
Strong
and Aries tag team and Ibushi and Itami tag team in the same tournament?

Lord H is too good to us.

It's a shame wrestlers have to battle with a heavy, poorly written script to prove their worth.

Especially when heavy scripts have actually hurt the product over the years and shouldn't even be a factor.

Nah man, this is the exact thing I'm talking about. You're deflecting a performers inability to perform with the writing.

Guys like Styles and Cena are able to take shit and turn it into gold. Don't blame the writing.

Sephzilla

Nah man, this is the exact thing I'm talking about. You're deflecting a performers inability to perform with the writing.

Guys like Styles and Cena are able to take shit and turn it into gold. Don't blame the writing.

Not everyone is given the same level of garbage. Some garbage is hotter than other garbage.

This. I don't believe Cena is fed the same shit someone like Sandow or Del Rio ever got fed.

While the writing is a main issue overall, for some people there is a genuine delivery problem and it can't always be handwaved as the writing being bad. It's not often, but every now and again there's a promo with fine lines that could be great but the delivery kills it.

This. I don't believe Cena is fed the same shit someone like Sandow or Del Rio ever got fed.

So you honestly think of Cena went out there and did Swagger or Titus' shit promos from the last two months they also would have fallen flat? Would they have been bad, probably. Would they have been the abysmal POS they were? Doubt it

Nekofrog

Banned
While the writing is a main issue overall, for some people there is a genuine delivery problem and it can't always be handwaved as the writing being bad. It's not often, but every now and again there's a promo with fine lines that could be great but the delivery kills it.

Let's be honest, a lot of what's written is written by people who have absolutely no idea how a promo is actually supposed to be given, which causes the promo to be even worse than if it was a good script delivered by a bad performer. It always starts with the writer, that's like theater 101

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We've already seen a springboard into RKO spot.

Wasn't that how Punk/Orton ended at Mania one year?

Orton's never going to outdo the Curb Stomp into RKO.

We already saw a SSP into a RKO, a forearm into RKO won't be good. The reason you probably didn't see the F5 into RKO is for obvious reasons: they probably couldn't convince Lesnar to spend an hour figuring out the setup.

Nekofrog

Banned
So you honestly think of Cena went out there and did Swagger or Titus' shit promos from the last two months they also would have fallen flat? Would they have been bad, probably. Would they have been the abysmal POS they were? Doubt it

You're comparing a guy who had been given probably hundreds of hours of mic time and all the best shit in the world to build his experience offor of (and was around and prominent during the unscripted, off the cuff promo era) vs those two? That's really disingenuous

Let's be honest, a lot of what's written is written by people who have absolutely no idea how a promo is actually supposed to be given, which causes the promo to be even worse than if it was a good script delivered by a bad performer. It always starts with the writer, that's like theater 101
I agree, but the point I'm making is I don't think every single fuck-up in a promo can be explained by 'oh it's the writing'. Sure 9/10 times it's the writing, but there is always that one occasion every now and again where there's a promo that is fine in writing and quality, but utterly piss-poor in the delivery from the wrestler.

We already saw a SSP into a RKO, a forearm into RKO won't be good. The reason you probably didn't see the F5 into RKO is for obvious reasons: they probably couldn't convince Lesnar to spend an hour figuring out the setup.
Something tells me that current Randy would need just as much convincing as Lesnar for such a spot.

Kento bros represent

xdc26fT.gif

Is Suwama Kento's Jericho though? I am dreading that match.

SUWAMA beating Zeus was the wrong call, but they're out of challengers for Miyahara at this point. You couldn't really have Zeus challenge for the title again. So, move the title to SUWAMA, and let him shit up the main events until he's recovered enough to get to the rematch.

It's not like they can give the title to Ishikawa or Akiyama at this point.

You're comparing a guy who had been given probably hundreds of hours of mic time and all the best shit in the world to build his experience offor of (and was around and prominent during the unscripted, off the cuff promo era) vs those two? That's really disingenuous

No, I'm trying to genuinely ask the question of if a shitter than shit promo is given to Cena can he still deliver it with gusto?

The immediate defense of writing is just a tired one. Some of these people still delivering shit promos have been given a lot of time and still haven't improved.

When you're used to cutting natural promos off the cuff, having to cut long winded, overly scripted promos isn't going to be easy. They're wrestlers not actors, they're not quite the same.

And besides, it's not as if the scripts are exactly Emmy winning. There's only so much you can do with shite.

Writing is just as important as the delivery, but it's also important to remember that people now are given scripts to remember instead of bulleted lists like in the past.

Nekofrog

Banned
No, I'm trying to genuinely ask the question of if a shitter than shit promo is given to Cena can he still deliver it with gusto?

The immediate defense of writing is just a tired one. Some of these people still delivering shit promos have been given a lot of time and still haven't improved.

Nobody is denying that there are guys who just suck on the mic. That always has been and always will be. Nobody is using it as a defense for these guys, but the fact remains that it can be nearly impossible to improve from that point when you're given the most horrendous shit to say.

Sabucin

Guys I'm so excited that for the very first time in my life I will attend a WWE Live show.
I'm from Chile and the card seems pretty cool:

- WWE Universal Championship match: Kevin Owens (c) vs Seth Rollins
- US Championshi match: Roman Reigns (c) vs Rusev w/ Lana
- WWE Tag Team Championship match: The New Day (c) vs Gallows & Anderson
- Cesaro vs Sheamus
- Sasha Banks, Alicia Fox and Bayley vs Charlotte, Nia Jax and Dana Brooke (special referee: Summer Rae)
- Enzo Amore, Collin Cassady and Golden Truth vs The Shining Stars, Curtis Axel and Jinder Mahal
- Sami Zayn vs Luke Harper
- Neville vs Bo Dallas
- Ttitus O' Neall vs Darren Young

No Chris Jericho which is a damn shame and no signs of some cruiserweight action, however I think is gonna be a good show anyways.

klonere

Banned
SUWAMA beating Zeus was the wrong call, but they're out of challengers for Miyahara at this point. You couldn't really have Zeus challenge for the title again. So, move the title to SUWAMA, and let him shit up the main events until he's recovered enough to get to the rematch.

It's not like they can give the title to Ishikawa or Akiyama at this point.

You are right and I'd agree with you...if it was any other show than the Sumo Hall one. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that I'd have saved the Akiyama match till now. Although finding another challenger for Kento instead of Jun in that time probably would have been a struggle.

Luschient

Currently reading Folely's Countdown to Lockdown book. It's a struggle.

And did I miss a fucking online petition or something of people clamoring for actors from That 70's Show to get more airtime? Is there any hope for a random Mila Kunis sighting?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The WWE should absolutely pay for acting classes for these schmucks. Even a few classes would probably dramatically improve the delivery of those that sound like a wooden plank when reading off a script.

The Performance Center does have acting classes

Have we discussed how Sara Lee was released because she's having a baby with Wesley Blake?

This is one of those situations where I'd question how an employer would receive one of their employees literally putting another newly hired employee into retirement, but my understanding is that WWE didn't really like Sara anyways (they wanted Mandy to win) and was probably happy to let her leave.

shaowebb

Guys I'm so excited that for the very first time in my life I will attend a WWE Live show.
I'm from Chile and the card seems pretty cool:

- WWE Universal Championship match: Kevin Owens (c) vs Seth Rollins
- US Championshi match: Roman Reigns (c) vs Rusev w/ Lana
- WWE Tag Team Championship match: The New Day (c) vs Gallows & Anderson
- Cesaro vs Sheamus
- Sasha Banks, Alicia Fox and Bayley vs Charlotte, Nia Jax and Dana Brooke (special referee: Summer Rae)
- Enzo Amore, Collin Cassady and Golden Truth vs The Shining Stars, Curtis Axel and Jinder Mahal
- Sami Zayn vs Luke Harper
- Neville vs Bo Dallas
- Ttitus O' Neall vs Darren Young

No Chris Jericho which is a damn shame and no signs of some cruiserweight action, however I think is gonna be a good show anyways.
No Jericho is a blessing at this point. Dude has been bogging down a LOOOOOT of PPV matches. His AJ Styles matches were horrible and AJ only started to shine once he got away from the dude and could cut loose, his Dean Ambrose match was...okay it was an Ambrose match, but it was by far the worst match of Ambrose's career, and in general he is just there to be put over by others at this point. Dude needs to retire already. It aint early 2000's Ric Flair levels of bad, but geez dude know when you're worn out and stale. Guy is dad rock the gimmick now and if he keeps up at this pace he's fishing for Xpac heat for just being done to death as a gimmick.

Top Bottom