• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

imBask

Banned
It hearts my heart to name my spirit animal here, but...

nvoPy.gif

this gif is literally the only reason why this guy still has a job

KOTR 1994 also has what I'd consider one of the best sub 4 minute matches I've ever seen in 1-2-3 Kid versus Owen Hart.
Two great workers. Cut off to the chase work instead of most of the bs now.

Are... are you watching everything again??
Nah, just watching the ppvs. I keep trying to get started on ecw but I fall asleep every time. I'll get it eventually. The start at 93 is very hard.

Tagyhag

They certainly did. Time for you to begin your Halloween Havoc chronological journey. And then your Beach chronological journey when it starts warming up.

Lol I'm good. That sounds like something I'll do when I hit my midlife crisis or something.

Fox, can you explain to me what your dumbass buddy hunter meant by Punk simulating a fake wrestling? In what way did he think that made any sense? 10 years and that shit still baffles me.

Watch any Finn Balor match - it's precise, spectacular, and means absolutely nothing because there's nothing behind it except spots.

Also, it's cute you guys aren't pretending it isn't common knowledge that Saint Osperey had to get an extra payoff to job to Vader in the 1st place.

DM's got a point about politicking. That shit gets you job security. This whole "happy to be here" crap is just something Vince and Hunter created to form an entire generation of spineless fucks to push over.

Which is why Owens is where he's at and Zayn is where he's at. Owens went on record in several interviews that he goes directly to Vince and barely bothers with writers. He worked on forming a relationship with the top dog. He's already close to Hunner due to NXT. So he gets his due justice by taking the proverbial brass ring. Guys like Cesaro cry about it, Owens just grabs it.

Mahonay

Banned
Don't know how you're watching ECW, but if it's the network it'll never be the same without the real music.
It's so hard for me to watch ECW without the music. It makes me really happy I was watching it back then.

Some day I'll make it a project of mine to track down all of the ECW PPVs with the licensed music.

Pikma

Banned
So maybe I'm going full FlammableDick on this but fuck it

CMLL and Lucha Elite (LLE) parted ways and the former prohibited it's talent from taking dates for the latter. Plus they now have competing dates (friday nights). The reason is that apparently CMLL saw the opportunity to go full carny and tried to negotiate a big contract with the tv company that broadcasts Liga Elite shows behind LLE's back. Neither side liked this so CMLL simply went home and took their balls with them.

So Lucha Elite now has a very limited roster but imo they've managed to maintain the great quality of their weekly shows so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Lothar

Banned
It's so hard for me to watch ECW without the music. It makes me really happy I was watching it back then.

Some day I'll make it a project of mine to track down all of the ECW PPVs with the licensed music.

All you need to watch is a Sandman entrance to see that it's completely unwatchable on the network. They mute the crowd singing!

Put on the beginning of Nov 5, 1999 Hardcore TV for a laugh.

Also, it's cute you guys aren't pretending it isn't common knowledge that Saint Osperey had to get an extra payoff to job to Vader in the 1st place.

He wanted more money in order to drastically alter the written agreement they'd had in place for months? I, for one, am shocked. Still doesn't beat refusing to come out of your hotel room until you get to go over.

But really, RPW, Will and everyone involved deserved everything that happened because Vader has been a fat sack of shit for years now and has pulled this exact stunt numerous times in the past. At least 3 times in the UK alone. Everyone involved should have known better, but I don't see how anyone can rightly defend Vader.

I can only assume that those of you not saying Otunga simply haven't listened to Smackdown. He is the worst commentator I have ever heard. He's genuinely threatening to ruin that show for me, because I find myself so incredulous at his appalling lack of skills.

Hasney

I can only assume that those of you not saying Otunga simply haven't listened to Smackdown. He is the worst commentator I have ever heard. He's genuinely threatening to ruin that show for me, because I find myself so incredulous at his appalling lack of skills.

He's not as bad as Yoshi Tatsu who could barely speak English. Probably not as bad as Pope on TNA either.

I don't like him either, but he's still not as horrible as some.

I remember:

Maxine
Michael Tarver
Sakamoto
Kizarny
Tyler Reks

I saw Maxine live once when nxt was in london a few years back. She's Catrina now.

I checked the others out and I remember Ricky Ortiz by seeing him. I don't recognise Ryan Braddock as a wwf guy, but I see him on TNA every week pretending to be irish and calling people mutts.

hbkdx12

WrassleGaf, I need a question answered....

Does that amount of times a person wins a championship belt actually matter?

I would use the record setting Ric Flair as an example but it's possible my points may not apply to Flair back in his heyday when wrestling was more territorial and thus having multiple titles wins may have been of a different significance. So im going to use John Cena instead.

Cena is a 15x world champion and there's speculation that by time he's done he'll surpass Flair's record of 16 title wins. At the very least he'll most assuredly tie it but do people see this as meaning anything other than just as a talking point?

For starters, we all realize the outcomes of these matches and thus the title reigns, are all predetermined. If the WWE wanted to make Cena a 30x champion by next month's PPV, there'd be nothing to stop them. I mean, isn't that what made Daniel Bryan's win at wrestlemania so special? The fact that the fans essentially altered what the original outcome was suppose to be? Similarly, isn't this the exactly reason why people hated Roman Reigns and the fact that he won a championship by being shoved down our throats?

Additionally, for someone like Cena to be a 15x champion who's not currently holding the belt means that he's a 15x loser. This is akin to something like boxing or UFC but a key difference in those sports is that, outside of a standard rematch, there's generally some kind of ladder or hierarchy system where you'd have to work you way back up to title contention by working your way through the ranks so it's feasible to say a person may not recapture the title. For this reason, "upsets" can be quite common where someone wins a title that most never expected to do so. Whereas in the WWE, for booking reasons if nothing else, there always a handful of big players that are always within reach of a title for any given reason or no reason at all.

So does it all mean anything? Does Cena or any other superstar suddenly gain some extra clout as being the GOAT or something if they surpass Flair? Understandably, there are people who consider Ric Flair to be one of, if not the GOAT not only for his style and flair (puns!) but also because of all his title reigns. Surely, there are some people who would be upset if Flair's record were broken but would there be any validity to being upset about it?

Thoughts?

For me, the length of championship reigns mean a lot more then the number, having long reigns means the company trust you to make money, which means you're over with the fans (at least historically, less important now there are no PPVs and wwf doesn't treat house shows with the same seriousness they used to).

Flair's a 20 time champ btw, cena ain't breaking that record

hbkdx12

For me, the length of championship reigns mean a lot more then the number, having long reigns means the company trust you to make money, which means you're over with the fans (at least historically, less important now there are no PPVs and wwf doesn't treat house shows with the same seriousness they used to).

Flair's a 20 time champ btw, cena ain't breaking that record

Yeah this is essentially how i see it as well.

20x champ? Why does the WWE only reference 16?

Yeah this is essentially how i see it as well.

20x champ? Why does the WWE only reference 16?

WWF doesn't recognise the changes at:

(WCW) Starrcade: 10th Anniversary
(NWA) SuperBrawl I

And it doesn't recognise the WCW International World Heavyweight Championship at all, which flair won twice.

imBask

Banned
i'm expecting to win feud of the year for exposing WCW as trash
i'm also expecting poster of the year for pinning Blue clean

miserable

Katsuhiko Nakajima defeated Takashi Sugiura to become the new GHC Heavyweight champion at NOAH's show today. Does anybody care? No? OK...

DDT are launching their own streaming service!

http://ddtuniverse.com/

Starts in January, 900yen a month, includes new shows from DDT, BASARA, Tokyo Joshi Pro and Ganbare Pro-Wrestling, as well as DDT special events (outdoor shows) and archives! Awesome news for DDT fans.

Great news, not sure I'll be able to afford another streaming service if the pound continues its decent into the toilet though. Are you signing up?

Katsuhiko Nakajima defeated Takashi Sugiura to become the new GHC Heavyweight champion at NOAH's show today. Does anybody care? No? OK...

Maybe when they get streaming.

I enjoyed the NOAH guys in the recent mini invasion of NJPW. Marufuji was fantastic, and the guys in the eight man were good too.

NOAH's in such a bad state that even when the belt finally gets on the right guy, it's difficult to give a shit. As stale as people felt NOAH was before NJPW's involvement, it's got even worse now and the numbers reflect that. Jado's run as booker is an all-time low.

Also, streaming's never likely to happen (unless SamuraiTV open up their nico service to international customers) for a variety of reasons.

Great news, not sure I'll be able to afford another streaming service if the pound continues its decent into the toilet though. Are you signing up?

Definitely, I've been waiting for DDT to get on board the streaming bandwagon - it's just too expensive to import their DVDs, especially as UK customs are such tight bastards these days.

Cool, let us know what the quality's like.

Customs are fine imo. It's that damn £8 royal mail "handling fee" garbage that's the killer. Like, call me and I'll GO THERE rather then give RM the money damnit.

Don't think this one has been posted yet:

10 PG-Era WWE Superstars You Totally Don't Remember

Maxine
Michael Tarver
Caylen Croft
Eric Escobar
Hade Vansen
Sakamoto
Kizarny
Ryan Braddock
Ricky Ortiz
Tyler Reks

Lol Eric Escobar, I remember in my shortlived days on Gamefaqs pro wrestling board leaving someone legit shook when I slammed his boy Escobar.
Was probably a pre doctorate Professor Beef.

Everyone remembers Maxine, even discounting her Catrina stuff who could forget dat ring attire, as well as the wacky antics with Johnny Fandango Curtis

Top Bottom