• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

Hasney

How was the Paul Heyman/ Brock Lesnar segment last night? Missed RAW after passing out on couch

Brock was cheered and Goldberg was shit on. The segment was allegedly cut short because of this.

Who would have thought this would have happened in MN of all places? Apparently not WWE.

klonere

Banned
How many G1s have those guys been in? I'm not gonna say Elgin is as bad as Camacho, but he got a rocket push by getting thrown into the G1s and immediately getting to work with all the best wrestlers. He's like a mini-Cesaro with even less charisma.

mmm yes the great and amazing Doc Gallows was universally loved as a quality match machine with great bouts against amazing wrestlers simply because he was put in the G1. Same with STRONG MAN Jon Andersen, given a spot in 2010 and 2011, wow he got over HUGE with some great matches. DBS Jr also followed the same pattern, carried to incredible matches solely by being put in the G1 with the superior Japanese workers. If it can work for MVP, it can work for anyone right?

I mean Giant Bernard had several G1s and high profile matches, including an IWGP title match against Tanahashi and hasn't come close to matching what Elgin has done in his time in NJPW.

I visited Japan and saw that in person. I was very hyped for the Tanahashi/Omega ladder match. I'm still pissed.
I can imagine. I mean it was a great match but it didn't have anywhere near as much heat as Tana/Omega. Should have held off doing a ladder match until Tanahashi was back from injury IMO.

Brock was cheered and Goldberg was shit on. The segment was allegedly cut short because of this.

Who would have thought this would have happened in MN of all places? Apparently not WWE.

wwf as tonedeaf as when they had charlotte cut a babyface promo after mania or when they twice dumped bryan out of the rumble

never learn

notworksafe

How was the Paul Heyman/ Brock Lesnar segment last night? Missed RAW after passing out on couch

That and the Sami/Strowman segments were the only standouts of the show.

Bork/Heyman came out, people were cheering, Heyman cut a promo, some people chanted for Goldberg, Heyman shit on them, the crowd started chanting "Goldberg Sucks", Bork laughed, they left. Not bad.

Smackdown was already gonna be good, but Becky's gonna be back tonight? Best show for sure.

Shoot: And I was okay with it because he made a more credible World Champion than Rollins, Reigns, or Ambrose
When they're the alternatives sure, which is just more depressing when you think WWE probably didn't consider just giving the title to someone else with no Rollins around. Oh-no, gotta get HHH his time.

klonere

Banned
shoutout to BritWres crew

lDDMI4T.png

Sephzilla

When they're the alternatives sure, which is just more depressing when you think WWE probably didn't consider just giving the title to someone else with no Rollins around. Oh-no, gotta get HHH his time.

Who are the logical alternatives to HHH, though? Roman wasn't over. Ambrose sucks in the ring. They aren't giving Brock another reign. AJ Styles debuted the same night HHH won. Cena was on the shelf. Orton was on the shelf. Bryan was retired. KO was Intercontinental Champion at the time. Sami was feuding with KO (and was doing NXT still). Big Show? Kane? Wyatt?

From a storyline perspective, HHH made the most sense. Is it a biproduct of WWE utterly failing to make new stars? Sure.

All this FloSlam stuff is ridiculous. Do they really expect any non-trivial amount of people to pay $20/month for indie wrestling?

To be fair, if they have enough content people will be paying $12.50 for the yearly package

I assume the $20 is to stop people taking advantage to just watch one ppv.

What the hell was that Raw?

- Jericho losing the list was a good start, but ended too soon, and was ruined by main event involvement
- Why is Titus still around?
- Dana & Bayley with a terrible spot
- Tag division is just turrible; yeah Enzo & Cass are over all as hell but still can't wrestle for shit

And for the final piece: Can we please get Mick the fuck away from the Woman's division? What a terrible segment. YOURE EDDIES LEGACY

Who are the logical alternatives to HHH, though? Roman wasn't over. Ambrose sucks in the ring. They aren't giving Brock another reign. AJ Styles debuted the same night HHH won. Cena was on the shelf. Orton was on the shelf. Bryan was retired. KO was Intercontinental Champion at the time. Sami was feuding with KO (and was doing NXT still). Big Show? Kane? Wyatt?

From a storyline perspective, HHH made the most sense. Is it a biproduct of WWE utterly failing to make new stars? Sure.

1Sfa1RI.gif

Sephzilla

I think I actually prefer World Champs being a tad on the "older" side. Like 30s, or 40s in special cases like Flair. But I think that's because WWE has made me dislike 20-something champions due to Orton and Cena getting like 20+ world championships combined before they cracked 30

I don't know. The whole 'have HHH win' thing had to be something they had planned for a bit before the actual rumble which could have been time they could have used to put someone else in the front. HHH just seemed like a choice WWE thought might sell Roman more as a face as well as continue the god-awful Authority story-line.

But yeah, WWE barely look past the Shield for young main event talent and even now, two of the three members are in the main event slot and have continuously both been whether as champs or challengers (fucking Rollins hasn't been out of the main event of PPV's technically since last years 'Mania).

Edit: My man Rusev would have been perfect and he was like the first one out.

KingBroly

Banned
What the hell was that Raw?

- Jericho losing the list was a good start, but ended too soon, and was ruined by main event involvement
- Why is Titus still around?
- Dana & Bayley with a terrible spot
- Tag division is just turrible; yeah Enzo & Cass are over all as hell but still can't wrestle for shit

And for the final piece: Can we please get Mick the fuck away from the Woman's division? What a terrible segment. YOURE EDDIES LEGACY

- Seth should've made it 'if you beat me, I'll tell you where I put the list'
- Titus WAS DAD OF THE YEAR
- Dana is terrible
- Tag division sucks because they're pissed at Demolition

Anth0ny

Who cares about that? Wrestling is a young man's game, and WWE needs as many new stars as possible. If some decrepit motherfucker wants to wear gold in 2016, TNA's still open for now.

bolded is true, but I like grizzled vets as world champions. if you're still a draw, you should get the belt.

the far bigger issue is when only your older guys are over because you have no idea how to get younger guys over anymore. it wasn't an issue in the 90s: you had your fair share of over, older guys while bringing up new blood at the same time.

today? everyone is a fucking geek. you think any "stars" from today are coming back in 12 years and getting the reception goldberg got last week? fucking hell.

Sephzilla

Becoming a World Champion should be more of a crowning career reward than anything. Which is why I prefer World Champions being a bit more veteran and grizzled. The mid card belts are for the 20-something hot shots and that's where they need to prove they're draws and not flash in the pan talents.

Bronx-Man

Banned
The thought of Triple H, with his puffy nipples and shruken HGH-influenced testicles, being world champion in 2016 while a man like CM Punk scratched and clawed to make wrestling relevant again to the masses yet couldn't even main-event WrestleMania...

GyKX_f-maxage-0.gif

Sephzilla

Shoot: Wrestlers need to give up the long hair look. Only a few of them actually look good with long hair, most look better with short hair, and most with long hair cling to that long hair for far too long (see: HBK, X-Pac)

The thought of Triple H, with his puffy nipples and shruken HGH-influenced testicles, being world champion in 2016 while a man like CM Punk scratched and clawed to make wrestling relevant again to the masses yet couldn't even main-event WrestleMania...

GyKX_f-maxage-0.gif

You were talking about the concept of wrestlers over 40, not aging bookers abusing their power

that's a whole different kettle of fish

John Cena's next title reign will probably happen the same month he turns 40. And I'll be okay with it because Cena's twilight years have been the best work he's ever done.
Big Match John's been killing it these last two years, I'm completely cool with him getting title no. 16.

Top Bottom