• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

Fox318

Hey now. One person going "I'm the best" and another person going "No, I'm the best" gave us one of the best storylines in the history of wrestling

KDr9v.jpg
it needs heat.

Plus today there isn't really any bitterness between the performers. Austin and Bret got along but they didn't hang out and it felt like a real battle.

Plus Austin openly didn't care what the fans thought. The current WWE is ballet with actors.

I may feel that Omega isn't better than Naito but damn does his path to the top feel real to him and it feels real to the viewer.

klonere

Banned
Doesn't mean it should be the only storyline.

Name me a storyline featuring Roman Reigns in the last 3 years. An actual story.

HHH and The Authority screwing him out of the title at Survivor Series

Vince coming back to specifically fuck with him at the Rumble, making it a title match and hiring out the League of Nations as his mercs.

He insulted Rusev's family, his wife and stole his title and he will be CRUSHED

Sephzilla

She's complaining about black people who sit it front of her because their hair bothers her. There's no additional story.

She makes fun of a black hairstyle in one tweet

Some time later she takes a selfie with her hair in a traditional black hairstyle, not seeing the problem

And I know someone's going to say "so she can't have braids or dreads etc" and the answer isn't that white people can't do their hair in that style. The issue is one group of people is ridiculed and mocked for having that as their natural hair. The issue is someone mocking that shit on one hand and then doing it, (intentionally or not) saying she can wear a culture better, on the other hand.

There have obviously been far better and more in-depth thinkpieces about this subject, google "black hair importance" etc

It's also pretty telling she took that first picture behind the person's back. Almost like she felt there might be something wrong with what she was doing...

then i give a giant F U to her

That moment with Austin bleeding doesn't work unless you have the entire story leading up to it with Austin, the heel, being pissed as fuck that he can't put Hart away and prove he's the better wrestler. Which is why every subsequent "pass out from submission" spot ever since has not worked in WWE.

klonere

Banned
it needs heat.

Plus today there isn't really any bitterness between the performers. Austin and Bret got along but they didn't hang out and it felt like a real battle.

Plus Austin openly didn't care what the fans thought. The current WWE is ballet with actors.

I may feel that Omega isn't better than Naito but damn does his path to the top feel real to him and it feels real to the viewer.

You know when I was listening to Pollock recap all the promos about the Cell matches, about how they can kill careers and cause such harm...it all came off as phony bullshit. They can do all the super dangerous spots. But show to show selling of injuries is more or less gone, at least in a big, noticeable way and they can't fucking bleed for that great imagery.

God it makes me sad :(

oo7

The Austin/Bret storyline wasn't "I'm the best", "No, I'm the best." It was more "I'm being screwed" "Fuck you"

Gotta go back and watch that whole fued. Soooo good.

-Rome being held back by the Authority
-Rome vs. League of Nations.
-Rome beating up an immigrant and hitting on his wife
-Rome vs. wellness policy

all this told me was that Roman was a big floppy cock with no charisma. Stick him in front of a live crowd without a script and he'd implode.

Recall

Don't stories have intent like trying to get someone over? Don't stories have a beginning, middle and end.

Are the Authority gone? How did Roman do this?

How did Roman dissolve the league? Was it in a compelling manner?

Tagyhag

She makes fun of a black hairstyle in one tweet

Some time later she takes a selfie with her hair in a traditional black hairstyle, not seeing the problem

And I know someone's going to say "so she can't have braids or dreads etc" and the answer isn't that white people can't do their hair in that style. The issue is one group of people is ridiculed and mocked for having that as their natural hair. The issue is someone mocking that shit on one hand and then doing it, (intentionally or not) saying she can wear a culture better, on the other hand.

There have obviously been far better and more in-depth thinkpieces about this subject, google "black hair importance" etc

It's also pretty telling she took that first picture behind the person's back. Almost like she felt there might be something wrong with what she was doing...

Cultural appropriation is a big problem nowadays but again, that's not a black hairstyle. I can see why people would get the two confused though considering they're two types of braiding.

In the end, it doesn't really matter because that doesn't make her any less of a dumbass.

Fox318

You know when I was listening to Pollock recap all the promos about the Cell matches, about how they can kill careers and cause such harm...it all came off as phony bullshit. They can do all the super dangerous spots. But show to show selling of injuries is more or less gone, at least in a big, noticeable way and they can't fucking bleed for that great imagery.

God it makes me sad :(
  • They can't bleed
  • The psychology of the cage features more interruptions and for a normal cage you can win by escaping (which is dumb)
  • They don't culminate a feud ending (does anyone really believe that Charlotte will take a 2 month break if she loses for example)
  • Workers today don't work a match like a fight most likley because they feel they have to go 20-35 minutes.(You know what would be fucking awesome, if KO won in fucking 5 minutes in a brutal beatdown of Seth. Build him up fucking like a god and make Seth look week in comparison)

The Taker Brock feud from last year worked because the 2 treated it like the win mattered to them. None of this "Its an honor to perform, its an honor to job" shit from the HHH brainwashed roster today.

Don't stories have intent like trying to get someone over? Don't stories have a beginning, middle and end.

Roman temporarily got rid of Shhhao Khhhan and bought the fighters of Earth Realm some time.

Romo beat sheamo for the tito and then I think they all sorta stopped bothering him. Wade left, ADR left, Sheamus went to the pre-show and Rusev is getting bullied

Austin was only used to make Bret look strong.

Roman didn't start the fight (Rusev did), but he damn sure is gonna finish it THIS SUNDAY at the Hell in a Cell PPV

klonere

Banned

I mean, they had stories but they weren't good stories nor did they accomplish anything.

I mean as far as The Authority goes, he got rid of it and....Steph and Hunter have more or less the exact same roles as they did when it was around in storyline. So it feels like Roman got exactly jackshit done

In fact, that's his whole storyline - he accomplishes a goal and immediately get screwed by The Authority: his initial title win lasted 5 minutes before Sheamus cashed in (not before kicking out of Sheamus's finisher ofc!), he won it back on a Raw and was quickly thrown into a Rumble defending his title, losing it to Hunter. Then he won it back and screwed himself.

It's all very endemic of WWE storytelling in the last 10 or so years?

klonere

Banned
  • They can't bleed
  • The psychology of the cage features more interruptions and for a normal cage you can win by escaping (which is dumb)
  • They don't culminate a feud ending (does anyone really believe that Charlotte will take a 2 month break if she loses for example)
  • Workers today don't work a match like a fight most likley because they feel they have to go 20-35 minutes.(You know what would be fucking awesome, if KO won in fucking 5 minutes in a brutal beatdown of Seth. Build him up fucking like a god and make Seth look week in comparison)

The Taker Brock feud from last year worked because the 2 treated it like the win mattered to them. None of this "Its an honor to perform, its an honor to job" shit from the HHH brainwashed roster today.

Taker Brock had two huge luxuries in that A) Double juice, don't give a fuck if Vince is going to shout at me and Hunter isn't going to give either of them shit and B) They both took long breaks from TV afterwards, selling the match by virtue of contracts, not booking.

Totally agreed on all your points but especially on the lack of consequences. For fuck sake, we could be seeing an instant title rematch on Monday or next Monday more than likely!

Lothar

Banned
Gotta go back and watch that whole fued. Soooo good.

Watch it here.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vdx9l_buildup-to-austin-vs-bret-at-survivor-series-96_tv
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x38iaiv

They do call each other the best but it's about way more than that. Austin stalks him and makes him miserable. The best part is Bret proves himself unquestionably the best. He beats Austin totally clean at Survivor Series, Royal Rumble, Final Four, and Wrestlemania. And it doesn't matter. Fans still abandon Bret and join Austin, lol. The WWF doesn't push back against those fans and ignore it. They make that the story. The story was that it drove Bret completely crazy that it didn't matter that he was the best. It didn't matter to the fans, the wrestlers, the office, anybody. Bret didn't turn heel. Everyone else turned heel on him.

Sephzilla

If Vince blew a gasket regarding Lesnar being cheered in Minnesota. How do you think Vince is going to react during Survivor Series in Toronto. A city that cheered heel Hollywood Hogan against face Rock. Not to mention they're probably going to boo the shit out of Goldberg since he's the guy who
accidentally
retired Bret Hart with a botched superkick.

Pro Wrestling Sheet said:
Diamond Dallas Page‘s daughter says she and bunch of other famous famous female offspring are starting their own wrestling league … and they claim to be eyeing TNA as the competition.

Brittany Page explained the new venture to TMZ … saying, “We're basically starting a women’s league and it’s gonna kinda go against Impact Wrestling, TNA, and so we’re really excited about it.”

Partnering with Page are Brooke Hogan, Lacey Von Erich, Roddy Piper‘s daughter Ariel Toombs, and JCVD’s daughter Bianca Van Damme.

Former TNA creative team member Christy Hemme is apparently involved as well and Brittany sorta-kinda says her dad may also show up.

Lothar

Banned
If Vince blew a gasket regarding Lesnar being cheered in Minnesota. How do you think Vince is going to react during Survivor Series in Toronto. A city that cheered heel Hollywood Hogan against face Rock. Not to mention they're probably going to boo the shit out of Goldberg since he's the guy who
accidentally
retired Bret Hart with a botched superkick.

And same crowd that booed the hell of Goldberg at the peak of his popularity even before he retired Bret.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iyvem

This is going to be great.

miserable

Yeah, let's give a pass for Goldberg ending Bret's career, but let's shit on Seth and make jokes about him constantly for ending Sting's career in a similar way.

PINK TIGHTS? What the hell is tat about??

Austin the Goat

Pinkk tights—what the hell is THAT all about, Bret? This ain't no ballet class. Sunglasses and sparklers? What a load of CRAP. So, Bret, you're coming back to continue a LEGACY? UH-UNH! Stone Cold's gonna make your comeback a living HELL. So, you can start begging for some mercy right now. You will beg for mercy—YOU'RE NOT GOING TO FIND IT! I think you're completely pathetic. You're the 'Best there is, was and ever will be'? Whatever! Son, you're looking at the best there is—Austin 3:16 rules! I will kick your pink-and-black ass all over the Garden. I'm gonna end your legacy. You WILL beg for mercy at Madison Square Garden."

they dont do promos like this anymore

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When did they change Charlotte into "Charlotte Flair" specifically?

They need to chill on tying Sasha to Eddie, like ok she's a big fan, I get it...calling her part of Eddie's legacy? come on now she didn't even know the guy

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They need to chill on tying Sasha to Eddie, like ok she's a big fan, I get it...calling her part of Eddie's legacy? come on now she didn't even know the guy

It's one of the four things that Babyface Sasha is able to say in a promo.

Gorilla Monsoon: "You know, Vince, as of this moment Sid is not in the building. There's been some unconfirmed rumors, that perhaps he missed a flight or he was in an accident, in an automobile accident. Regardless, he's not here. I'm running out of time. I have to have some kind of contingency plan, and I've checked the roster; the only one I have left here on the card tonight, that would be a suitable opponent for Mankind, would be Stone Cold Steve Austin. And I'm gonna make that match in the event that Sid does not arrive. It's gonna be as simple as that—"

[Steve Austin unterbricht plötzlich.]

Steve Austin: "That's where you've got a problem, son. I don't wrestle once a night and I ain't gonna go out there and save your little show, just because someone didn't show up cause he missed a plane, he's sick, I don't care what the hell is wrong with him. I say he's got a yellow streak running right down the middle of his back. I ain't going out in the ring, because I was signed for my match, I done did it. What do you gotta say about that?"

Gorilla Monsoon: "You know, he could still show up here."

Steve Austin: "Well, I sure as hell hope he does."

Gorilla Monsoon: "And in the event he doesn't I'm putting YOU in there with Mankind."

Steve Austin: "You put me in there with Mankind? I'll wrap this damn brace right around your fat head. You ain't gonna sit there and bully me around and tell me what to do. I don't give a rat's ***. I got Austin 3:16 signs, the fans are going crazy, I don't give a damn about your show."

Gorilla Monsoon: "What do you care about?"

Steve Austin: "Wait! I, eh—let me change that. Sid's supposed to have his big match here, he's supposed to have a big match with Bret The Hitman Hart on April 20th. I told Bret Hart, he never would be through with Steve Austin, and I meant it. You give me the match on April 20th against Bret The Hitman Hart and I'll save your ***. But you gotta give me the Hitman's *** or the bottom line is, you can kiss MY ***!"

Gorilla Monsoon: "Well, we still got a little time left. In the event that Sid doesn't show, you'll get it."

Steve Austin: "Damn right!"

Angry Grimace

Wait, someone actually gained a full name instead of losing it?

Seems like it. WWE's main website has her bio down as "Charlotte Flair" instead of just "Charlotte" now and all of the YouTube stuff from yesterday says the contract signing was between Sasha Banks and Charlotte Flair.

The long awaited return of "Adrian" and "Alexander" is coming.

Top Bottom