• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

Aiii

So not worth it
These games aren't even vaguely huge.

Even for a yearly sport game the WWE games are rather spartan. Only a handfull of different arenas, hardly any fan animation, only a handfull of wrestlers.

I mean, FIFA games have hundreds of players fully digitized, same with NBA, NFL, NHL, etc. As well as tons of stadiums, weather conditions and a whole slew of other features you won't ever see in WWE games.

Kaladin

Charlotte vs Sasha has never been as good as what they did in NXT. Of course, NXT matches benefit from not having commercial breaks in the middle of the freakin' match.

Syder

Charlotte vs Sasha has never been as good as what they did in NXT. Of course, NXT matches benefit from not having commercial breaks in the middle of the freakin' match.
A match starting at 10 to the hour and having a commercial break 45 seconds in is not a good representation of a title match or the Women's 'Revolution'. I don't care how many ads they run during the show, just keep them away from the fucking main event.

So weird to do things just to do things with no build. This is what their 4005th match in 2 months.

They are going to hype it up only for it to be an ok match
Yeah, this and even the main event last night would have been a lot more awesome if the feud was fresh. Their feud started at the beginning of July and won't end until the end of October when HIAC is on.

They've spent a goddamn third of a year on this fucking feud.

Sephzilla

Mid match commercials need to fucking die. At the very least, don't do it for the main event fight.

Could you imagine the uproar if UFC, the NBA, or the NFL cut to a commercial mid-round or in the middle of a play?

Kaladin

Mid match commercials need to fucking die. At the very least, don't do it for the main event fight.

Could you imagine the uproar if UFC, the NBA, or the NFL cut to a commercial mid-round or in the middle of a play?

Oh I know. Nothing takes me out of a match like a commercial break. It totally kills any flow, momentum or desire to care about the story they have developed.

Sephzilla

Oh I know. Nothing takes me out of a match like a commercial break. It totally kills any flow, momentum or desire to care about the story they have developed.

Especially when you return from commercial and the match has completely changed from what it previously was.

gun_haver

I like how New Day and especially Xavier were shouting 'no, no no no!' when Jericho was about to put him on the list. Sell that list!

Lucha underground doesn't this It's one of the best things they did

Ithil

I like how New Day and especially Xavier were shouting 'no, no no no!' when Jericho was about to put him on the list. Sell that list!

I'm impressed by how many new things Jericho has gotten over in this latest heel run. Stupid idiot, IT, the list, the gift of Jericho, etc.

Kaladin

His spear sucked by the time he got to WWE, plus Rhino always did it better.

tumblr_nc9nnxDdIJ1sdqajoo1_400.gif

tumblr_nc28aiR6PC1sdqajoo1_400.gif

rhyno-shopping-cart.gif

rhyno-gore-the-rock-o.gif

Sephzilla

Goldberg's spear > Rhyno's spear.

Goldberg didn't need gimmicky shit like tables, shopping carts, or Rock's over-selling to make his spear look destructive.

Progress, PWG would be my two. As you said Progress is all about story and I can't wait to check it out. PWG BOLA is a great place to start. Every match is just really solid wrestling.

Not really indie but I would definitely take a look at NJPW most recent G1. You can just watch all the Naito and Omega singles matches, then get amazed at their match and the final.

I tried to watch Chikara but it just wasn't for me. It was a little too goofy and playful.
PROGRESS does a lot of stories, and EVOLVE has been trying to do that a lot more recently, the EVOLVE mini documentary series is incredible work.

You've got Rev Pro, who are mostly in the mode of mixing Brit talent with New Japan/US indy stars (and Vader), AAW is up and coming in the PWG model, both of these don't really do much "PWG comedy".

What Culture and ICW are also about, but I wouldn't reccomend either unless you like Attitude Era tributes (or can put up with that)

Depends what you like, and what's put you off diving into indies in the past (production, commentary, match style etc.)
Thanks friends, and the Omega/Naito match was perfect, I'm never up late enough to catch these shows live though.
PROGRESS probably has the best combination of storytelling, in ring product, and production value of any indie wrestling company right now. And they upload their shows promptly, which makes it much easier to watch. Plus, the sinking pound makes the conversion from dollar to pounds even better for Americans!

PWG is fine if you love the super-indie match-ups, but their DVD schedule makes it very hard to care about as you watch the matches.

I enjoy Evolve because their shows are short, fast moving, and usually good to great. However, the production is below PROGRESS's, and you have at the top A champion who gets some go-away heat.

AAW has some of PWG's super-indie feel, but they use talent local to the Midwest more than PWG uses southern Californian wrestlers. It's production is a little better than Evolve's, but I find their shows a little harder to get through than Evolve's.

You could also check out wXw out of Germany; they have a free weekly YouTube show, and their matches are usually pretty good. Plus, they have famed Internet wrestling enthusiast Alan4L on English commentary, and he's pretty good at it.
Right I see that BOLA 2016 isn't even out yet, a schedule like that would kill my interest fast, looks like I'm diving deep into PROGRESS.

Kaladin

Fact:

With mid match commercial breaks, Monday Night Raw and Smackdown trains viewers to only care about the last few minutes of a match.

When JR said "We have fulfilled all of our commercial obligations for the night we are here until we have a winner in our main event!"

Top Bottom