• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

somedevil

Here are the 16 tag teams for the Dusty tournament:

The Revival (Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder)
Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa
Bobby Roode and Tye Dillinger
Andrade Almas and Cedric Alexander
Hideo Itami and Kota Ibushi
Riddick Moss and Tino Sabbatelli
TM61 (Shane Thorne and Nick Miller)
The Bollywood Boyz (Gurv Sihra and Harv Sihra)
The Authors Of Pain (Akam and Rezar)
Niko Bogojevic and Tucker Knight
No Way Jose and Rich Swann
Bin Wang and HoHo Lun
Austin Aries and a mystery partner
Lince Dorado and Mustafa Ali
Sanity (two unknown partners)
Tony Nese and Drew Gulak

This Wednesday NXT has Revival vs Andrade and Alexander and Bollywood Boyz vs Authors of Pain. Then the week after has Sanity vs
Roode and Tye
and TM61 vs Moss and Sabbatelli.

So who is going to win this year?

Fox318

You deserve Big Van Vader beating Will Ospreay

I almost have to respect Vader for that.

In an era where nobody cares about wins and losses and HHH convinces talent that they need to always job to do their job Vader is out there protecting his heat against a business exposer.

AmusedSpecificFirebelliedtoad.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Here are the 16 tag teams for the Dusty tournament:

This Wednesday NXT has Revival vs Andrade and Alexander and Bollywood Boyz vs Authors of Pain. Then the week after has Sanity vs
Roode and Tye
and TM61 vs Moss and Sabbatelli.

So who is going to win this year?

I assume Sanity (although isn't Sanity a stable with 4 people in it?) is going over to set up a Tye/Roode feud?

I'm gonna laugh when Nikki Cross ends up being Sister Abigail.

Cagey

Banned
There's far too much WWE wrestling available for consumption each week and not enough WWE story development.

Most of the weekly matches are boring and too similar and often repeats.

Fox318

It really was eye opening for me to go back and watch old Nitro and WCW stuff.

Only WCW I ever watched prior to the network was a few nitros I flipped back and forth from and Thunder because it wasn't on the same night as Smackdown.

Just treating wrestling like a sport and making the confrontation the most important part changes so much. I'm convinced that the WWE since they have won have grown the fans into people who thing presentation is more important than the substance.

Look at somebody like Xavier Woods vs a Ric Flair for example.

Xavier prioritizes being an entertainer over the sporting aspect. He symbolizes the current era where the goal is "to put smiles on faces". They are more circus performers than they are fake fighters today. Xavier would fit right at home on an episode of Whose Line is it Anyway? but you wouldn't dare think of using him as an athlete or fighter. People don't want to see him in the ring. They pretty much just want to cheer the entrance and laugh at a joke or reference that he read a comic in 1997.

Flair while entertaining would use his promo skills and outfits/gimmicks to draw people in to the "sport". It was all about the confrontation with Flair and Savage, Flair and Vader, Flair and Dusty. Even if you knew he couldn't really fight the fake fight is what you came to see.

This year one of the most promoted acts at Wrestlemania was The Rock. A man who is the definition of entertainment today. His appearance was one first things that was promoted about the event and yet he felt that a satisfactory performance for the audience was 5 minutes on the mic and 7 seconds in the ring.

I'm not even saying that wrestling can't be entertainment based but it needs to be written and produced by say the people who make Lucha Underground or somebody with Matt Hardy's vision for what his character is.

Zach

It really was eye opening for me to go back and watch old Nitro and WCW stuff.

Only WCW I ever watched prior to the network was a few nitros I flipped back and forth from and Thunder because it wasn't on the same night as Smackdown.

Just treating wrestling like a sport and making the confrontation the most important part changes so much.

We've got a True Believer on our hands!

I wonder what chaos Data will wreak here when Vader gets signed for an appearance in New Japan and beats Naito clean in under 5 minutes

Fox318

We've got a True Believer on our hands!

Its not like the WWE didn't used to build around confrontations.

Austin always confronting Vince.
Angle confronting anyone.
Brock kayefabe refusing to let anyone beat him on his rise in 2002.

The wrestling is the one thing that wrestling does have over most mediums and the fact that its scripted can lead to great matches and the fairy tale story. Although maybe part of the problem today is people know a main event has to go 20+ minutes and until they've kicked out of 4 finishers (or 56 with cena matches) that they can't buy a finish.

I mean I still can't get over how Vince thought that after beating Ziggler over and over and over and over again that 1 win would revive his credibility and help him be one of the main events of summerslam.

Smackdown should be good tonight. The go-home segments for the triple-threat, IC, tag-title and women's title matches should be great hopefully.
Sweet jesus, we have another PPV incoming already?
I thought we were having a bit of a laugh when we said that it felt weird not having a PPV last Sunday yet here we are.

Fox318

I wonder what chaos Data will wreak here when Vader gets signed for an appearance in New Japan and beats Naito clean in under 5 minutes

lol Naito wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Maybe Captain New Japan with the SuperKick Business exposesers might get Gedo's approval to go over.

Casual WWE watcher at work.

"With two PPVs a month, why even watch Monday and Tuesdays?"

I kind have those feels. Watch the PPVs and Smacktalk, and you're good.

As someone who actually watches all three hours of raw I might just do that. PPVs and smackdown. It's getting tough to watch raw 3 hours. Last night I got home at 845 and I didn't even miss anything on raw.

Sweet jesus, we have another PPV incoming already?
I thought we were having a bit of a laugh when we said that it felt weird not having a PPV last Sunday yet here we are.

That's when happens when we have a brand split and have one every two weeks. Thankfully, after Hell in a Cell, we get a bit of a breather for three or four weeks with both shows having to prep their show-specific cards for Survivor Series.

Fox318

I wonder if part of the point of the brand split is to condition viewers from watching the network more.

I mean they have to have in the back of their mind the idea that TV will make them less and less money as the years go on.

Zach

When Vince McMahon dies and I take over as fictional President of WWE Zach Tunney, the first thing I will ban is kicking out of finishers.

It's true enough that the current PPV explosion does make for a nice alternative to enduring the weekly wwe slog.
Even when Raw has something good going for it the previous endurance run of meaningless fluff content manages to make me lose interest in even the bits I should like.
SD at least has shorter run time to make it more digestible.

Don't know when the injury occurred but the surgery happened this morning. rotator cuff as I said (a tear)

I blame Seff.

I wonder if part of the point of the brand split is to condition viewers from watching the network more.

I mean they have to have in the back of their mind the idea that TV will make them less and less money as the years go on.

I would pay up to $40 a month if I could watch Smackdown and Raw live on the network.

Kaladin

You could legit get your WWE fix through the Network and their Youtube channel. Watch highlight clips on Youtube and the bi-monthly PPVs.

That's it.

Fox318

When Vince McMahon dies and I take over as fictional President of WWE Zach Tunney, the first thing I will ban is kicking out of finishers.

and subs being something that you just grab a rope to get out of.

Subs should be things that are always teased but when they are hit a performer taps.

Top Bottom