• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why would WWE even want the TNA library other than as a way to avoid having to sell who Bobby Roode, Samoa Joe and AJ Styles are (none of which seems to matter at all?).

Hard drives?this TNA we are talking about . It is probably on 1000 different Lazerdisk

Are we sure its not literal tape?

Why would WWE even want the TNA library other than as a way to avoid having to sell who Bobby Roode, Samoa Joe and AJ Styles are (none of which seems to matter at all?).

Because WWE Network needs content, and WWE wants to be the de facto monopoly.

I would love if they brought up Joe to feud with AJ and they very deliberately act like this is their first encounter with each other. Then, as soon as Vince buys TNA's tape library switch it up and talk about their long history with each other.

Hasney

Wouldn't have been shocked if Dixie gave WWE a discount for paying up front to fund Bound for Glory, making the secret investor MEEKMAAN HIMSELF.

Rampage-vs.-Blampied-600x338.jpg
Yo what kind of carny shit is this?

Anth0ny

holy shit.

really hoping WWE doesn't present TNA as a joke (even though it kinda was... YOU JUST BOUGHT IT). I don't feel like there's any beef there like there was between WWE and WCW. we know downplaying the impact of WCW at every possible opportunity makes Vince sleep at night.

TNA should be portrayed the same way ROH was in the Punk DVD: a secondary promotion that gave a huge stage to up and comers like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and all of the other former TNA talent currently performing in WWE.

I expect a "best of AJ Styles" DVD or Network special to be the first thing they do with this footage.

I would love if they brought up Joe to feud with AJ and they very deliberately act like this is their first encounter with each other. Then, as soon as Vince buys TNA's tape library switch it up and talk about their long history with each other.
WWE doesn't really shy away from people knowing each other. AJ and the Club were immediately pinned together and Summerslam tossed a small little reference to them knowing Finn. Sami and Owens have their past as friends from the Indie's brought up every time they're on-screen together.

As seen on Monday's RAW from Los Angeles, the announcers referred to the crowd as "fans" instead of the WWE Universe when Rusev kicked United States Champion Roman Reigns over the ringside barrier. According to Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio, this was an intentional change.

I don't know about you guys. But if this is true it would improve the product 10 fucking times over. Universe is the lamest name to refer to your fans as.

At the same time it's probably not true because the Universal title name wouldn't make much sense anymore.

I think we have done the "TNA is totally dying this time" thread in OT a few times already.

We should wait for official confirmation before breaking the news to the rest of GAF.

But why would Corgan not just leave and start a fresh company? Basically all he gets is some wrestling rings and a bunch of debt.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
But why would Corgan not just leave and start a fresh company? Basically all he gets is some wrestling rings and a bunch of debt.

Because he'll still have a TV contract and all the talent already signed. I imagine it's really hard to get a startup wrestling promotion a TV deal in 2016.

Anth0ny

Wow

What is TNA without its video library? Can TNA put "classic" matches out at all from now on if WWE owns the right?

If I had to guess, they're filming this week as TNA, and these tapes will last them through the end of the year. WWE owns all of this footage.

At that point (lets say 2017), they will change the name, but everyone who worked for TNA will still be around. TV deals still in place. WWE does not own the footage in 2017 and going forward.

at least that's how I understand it.

TBH I am disappointing we wouldn't get "the final episode of TNA" where they go nuts and unify all the titles and whatnot like WCW and ECW.

I would have watched that

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If I had to guess, they're filming this week as TNA, and these tapes will last them through the end of the year. WWE owns all of this footage.

At that point (lets say 2017), they will change the name, but everyone who worked for TNA will still be around. TV deals still in place. WWE does not own the footage in 2017 and going forward.

I would imagine they'd have enough money through the POP tv deal to film and then they'd rebrand and find a new broadcast partner. Meltzer says the problem with the TV deal was Dixie (and doing shit like bringing in Russo in secret) in large part.

Ah ok, that makes sense.

Well that's exciting -- WWE really giving you that bang for your 9.99 on their Network.

And let's see what Corgan can do as president of a pro wrestling company with TV -- although as I understand it, didn't he use his mentally slow brother as an on air heel character on his indie wrestling company that he used to run?

Angry Grimace

WWE doesn't really shy away from people knowing each other. AJ and the Club were immediately pinned together and Summerslam tossed a small little reference to them knowing Finn. Sami and Owens have their past as friends from the Indie's brought up every time they're on-screen together.

I was pretty surprised they didn't keep Finn and AJ on the same brand since that seems like an obvious match with a lot of potential for hype.

Then again, I keep hoping that they position WrestleMania as the SD vs. Raw PPV that has the champs from each division square off for the WrestleMania 2017 Trophy or something so you get to see something cool. They never seemed interested in that before, though so I doubt it.

Jamie OD

I think we have done the "TNA is totally dying this time" thread in OT a few times already.

We should wait for official confirmation before breaking the news to the rest of GAF.

He presumably gets to keep the TV time slot, wrestler contracts and taping locations so he won't have to start everything from scratch.

But yeah I'd wait until we get strong confirmation it's happening. TNA being the zombie it is means it never goes away.

I don't know about you guys. But if this is true it would improve the product 10 fucking times over. Universe is the lamest name to refer to your fans as.

At the same time it's probably not true because the Universal title name wouldn't make much sense anymore.

The whole branding everything is fucking shit and needed to stop. It's like Stephanie attended a Marketing 101 class and decided that EVERYTHING needed to match their "brand."

The whole branding everything is fucking shit and needed to stop. It's like Stephanie attended a Marketing 101 class and decided that EVERYTHING needed to match their "brand."
She's terrible, along with Universe, everything about the branding makes Raw looks like this safe, sterile, predictable show and I wonder why they even bother calling it 'RAW'.

Going through PROGRESS is so much fun right now, up to chapter 12 and Jimmy Havoc's storyline is so simple yet so great. And the London Riots are the best part of the shows, real heat magnets.

Is this the new Wrasslegaf gimmick?

Hey! Quit it.

Going through PROGRESS is so much fun right now, up to chapter 12 and Jimmy Havoc's storyline is so simple yet so great. And the London Riots are the best part of the shows, real heat magnets.

The best thing about Havoc's storyline was that his arguments had an element of truth to them, it was just the way he went about achieving his aims that made him a cunt - wrestling needs more nuanced storytelling like that. A heel who I can understand his motivation, but can't agree with his actions.

notworksafe

It probably is actual tape, but that's not unusual for any TV production

The Lapsed Fan for Over the Edge is proving to be too much. When they start going through the PPV it's just WAY too much. The damn JJ / Blackman match took what felt like 30 minutes on its own because of all the Tennessee Lee stuff.

Hoping to jump into some of this soonish. How long is each chapter/story taking you?

The best thing about Havoc's storyline was that his arguments had an element of truth to them, it was just the way he went about achieving his aims that made him a cunt - wrestling needs more nuanced storytelling like that. A heel who I can understand his motivation, but can't agree with his actions.
Right, you almost feel sorry for him at the beginning to be thrown back into a match type he badly wants to get away from, but he's goes about everything the worst way, much better than a heel who wants to celebrate his marriage and defend his wife.

The Lapsed Fan for Over the Edge is proving to be too much. When they start going through the PPV it's just WAY too much. The damn JJ / Blackman match took what felt like 30 minutes on its own because of all the Tennessee Lee stuff.

Hoping to jump into some of this soonish. How long is each chapter/story taking you?

Each is about two hours but I skipped all of the death matches in the beginning, I can't stand those.

And I'm using this guide to watch all of the promos in between chapters.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47&sid=a7ed0f6737b42ae955e6cc939b4b801f

Top Bottom