• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

I'm sat here itching like an addict. I need more amazing 2016 NJPW matches. Any suggestions though I know nothing will top that Ishii v Okada match?

Did you watch the BoSJ final? Amazing performance from Taguchi in that one, reminding everyone how great he can be. Also, Omega vs Naito and the G1 final itself.

Recall

Did you watch the BoSJ final? Amazing performance from Taguchi in that one, reminding everyone how great he can be. Also, Omega vs Naito and the G1 final itself.

I've only seen Ishii vs Okada and a Elgin vs Omega match. One blew my mind, the other was decent.

I think the G1 final is a good call.

klonere

Banned
I'm sat here itching like an addict. I need more amazing 2016 NJPW matches. Any suggestions though I know nothing will top that Ishii v Okada match?

Ospreay vs KUSHIDA from Invasion Attack 10.04.2016
O'Reilly vs KUSHIDA from Best of the Super Juniors Night 1 21.05.2016
Marufuji vs Okada from G1 2016 18.07.2016
Naito vs Elgin from Destruction in Kobe 25.09.2016
Elgin vs Nakajima from G1 2016 13.08.2016
CHAOS vs LIJ Elimination Match from Road To Wrestling Dontaku 23.04.2016

Lots of others but those are what come to my head right now.

Recall

Just tried to watch the G1 final but the only versions I came across were with English commentary. Fuck that noise. I can't stand it at all so won't be watching that one.

Edit: Oh wait. Found a better version in Japanese. Yay.

Klonere your list is helpful. Thanks.

Just tried to watch the G1 final but the only versions I came across were with English commentary. Fuck that noise. I can't stand it at all so won't be watching that one.

Edit: Oh wait. Found a better version in Japanese. Yay.

Klonere your list is helpful. Thanks.

The English NJPW commentary is pretty good

The stories have run out of steam. Also a lot of the guys I like on the show aren't being featured enough so that's another reason why I'm losing interest. I mean one of the best performances in Season 2 was Night Claw and it turns out he is a one time only appearance. Would have loved to see more of him. In totally unrelated matters what's Flamita up to now?

I agree with this. I tried to make it through season 2 but after a while it never felt like things were changing or improving. It started to feel like paint by numbers.

The production also started to grow thin. The over emphasized slaps and slams just help take things out a bit.

Its not for me, its just not what I want when I watch puro even if it is well liked.

Fair. I prefer it when I can find it if only because they tend to be really good. That said there is something enjoyable about the Japanese commentators.

Can anyone elaborate on why Fale and Naito walk over to the table and antagonize people? They do it every match and it cracks me up.

klonere

Banned
Fair. I prefer it when I can find it if only because they tend to be really good. That said there is something enjoyable about the Japanese commentators.

Can anyone elaborate on why Fale and Naito walk over to the table and antagonize people? They do it every match and it cracks me up.

Fale is just a big bully who likes pushing people around. Especially the ring announcer.

Naito is ingobernable, he lives to piss off NJPW officials and authority figures.

Recall

I really dont like Omega's exaggerated mannerisms and flailing limbs especially with selling, I guess it makes it personally more enjoyable though waiting to see him get his ass kicked as if it will somehow make him stop.

This crowd fucking LOVE Omega though.

Ive never heard a japanese crowd boo like that towards Goto. They were convinced he was going to win and did not want to see that at all.

Omega busting out Ibushi's Last Ride Bomb, Prince Devitt's Bloody Sunday and AJ Style's Styles Clash was fucking incredible and it really was a very well built finishing stretch. And the Japanese commentary losing their shit over it was amazing. Chono included joining in yelling BLOODY SUNDAY~!

Foffy

Banned
Zeus, baby.
AJ1.3.15-5.gif

Has AJPW been worth watching lately? I know they seem to be struggling, with doing fewer dates and having an incredibly thing hired roster, relying deeply on freelancers.

Raw64life

I really dont like Omega's exaggerated mannerisms and flailing limbs especially with selling, I guess it makes it personally more enjoyable though waiting to see him get his ass kicked as if it will somehow make him stop.

This crowd fucking LOVE Omega though.

Ive never heard a japanese crowd boo like that towards Goto. They were convinced he was going to win and did not want to see that at all.

Omega busting out Ibushi's Last Ride Bomb, Prince Devitt's Bloody Sunday and AJ Style's Styles Clash was fucking incredible and it really was a very well built finishing stretch. And the Japanese commentary losing their shit over it was amazing. Chono included joining in yelling BLOODY SUNDAY~!

The Omega/Naito match was even better IMO.

Believe it or not Omega has actually improved what you're complaining about a lot. A few years ago he was a complete goofball comedy wrestler and he's been slowly toning down the comedy stuff over the last couple of years. Hopefully he continues to do so.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I went to NXT last night. NXT fans are annoying, but I still got to see Cedric Alexander vs Bobby Roode and that was fun. Wrestling is fun.

imBask

Banned
I boo Trump more than I do the Sandow-haters. I'm also not American and can't vote, so my opinion is statistically worthless.

well me neither, but like technically speaking this thread must have the most Trump supporters on this board

Has AJPW been worth watching lately? I know they seem to be struggling, with doing fewer dates and having an incredibly thing hired roster, relying deeply on freelancers.

I admit to cherry picking AJPW stuff, but it's been an incredibly enjoyable product in 2016. Stick to the top of the card stuff, and you should do fine.

Foffy

Banned
I admit to cherry picking AJPW stuff, but it's been an incredibly enjoyable product in 2016. Stick to the top of the card stuff, and you should do fine.

As you're more familiar with AJPW, could you explain to me why they have two separate tag team belts?

Unlike NOAH and NJPW, I don't believe they're differentiated by weight class, so I always found that weird.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As you're more familiar with AJPW, could you explain to me why they have two separate tag team belts?

Unlike NOAH and NJPW, I don't believe they're differentiated by weight class, so I always found that weird.

As evidenced by NJPW, Japanese wrestling companies with a lot of history are REALLY reluctant to get rid of their older traditional titles even when they have no real place.

Yeah, iirc the All Asia tag belts are the oldest titles in Japan, they go all the way back to the early days of the JWA. Probably why they keep them around.

Sephzilla

A work is a shoot when it becomes dangerous and Trump is a shoot. We worked ourselves by thinking Trump was a work and now we're in a shoot, brothers.

..... surprisingly accurate

Also, No Mercy is probably going to have low viewership on Sunday. It's up against the 2nd Presidential Debate and there's a somewhat high profile Sunday night football game (Packers/Giants)

Fox318

Some people have said that they think Paige stabbed Del Rio and that's why he didn't go to the police to file a report.

I've heard of a work3d shoot but a worked stab?

Recall

Some people have said that they think Paige stabbed Del Rio and that's why he didn't go to the police to file a report.

I've heard of a work3d shoot but a worked stab?

Tanahashi got stabbed by a jealous lover.

Wrestling loves knives.

Top five puro matches of 2016, tell them to me. Tell me.

Thank you

Looking at stuff that has not already been mentioned:

Kamaitachi vs. Dragon Lee, NJPW Fantasticamania, 1/24/16 (though their Mexican matches are even better)

Yuji Okabayashi vs. Ryota Hama, BJW at Korakuen Hall, 1/24/16 (in which Okabayashi lariats Hama in the ass)

Yuji Hino vs. Minoru Tanaka, Wrestle-1, 2/10/16 (in which Hino is an absolute dick to Tanaka)

Meiko Satomura vs. Aja Kong, Sendai Girls at Korakuen Hall, 4/8/16 (the match with the gif where Satomura looked like she died)

Kento Mashimo vs. Kento Miyahara, AJPW Champion Carnival Day One, 4/9/15 (a great match, one of my favorites of the year)

Yuji Okabayashi vs. Zeus, AJPW Super Power Series 2016, Day 4, 5/25/16 (if you want to see how far Zeus has come this year, this is a good match to check out)

Hideki Suzuki & Yoshihisa Uto vs. Yasufumi Nakanoue & Yuji Okabayashi, BJW, 5/30/16 (still can't figure out if this was a work or a shoot, but it's tremendously entertaining in a messed up way)

Kento Miyahara vs. Jun Akiyama, AJPW Summer Action Series 2016, Night 5, 7/23/16 (one of the best finishing sequences I've seen all year where Akiyama refuses to lose against AJPW's young ace)

There are other matches here that I haven't seen but are high on my pile of stuff to watch: http://wrestlingwithwords.com/the-top-10-indie-puroresu-matches-of-2016-thus-far/

Zach

I love that X-Pac is a thoughtful human being. One of the last guys I'd expect it from based on his wrasslin' personas.

Top Bottom