• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, that No Mercy card is not good.

I mean, SD has been fine but Becky vs. Alexa probably needed a little more time to play out, Nikki v. Carmella actually has had time to play out but Carmella isn't a good enough worker for me to have decent expectations and for whatever reason the Usos feud revolves around American Alpha and not the actual champions. Bray/Orton is just a nothing match because it's Bray who never wins anything so why would I expect him to win when they're obviously acting like Orton is gonna be the face of SmackDown?

The Ziggler/Miz match has had a good build though and the Triple Threat is just another Triple Threat (there's just way too many of these recently). The writing and such is obviously better on SD, but it just feels like they legit don't have enough important, popular guys on the roster and putting literally all of them in the main event feels off.

For reference, everyone was shitting on Backlash's card prior the the event if you check the OT, and it turned out to be one of the better PPV's this year. SD has been overachieving with their roster since the split.

They managed to turn Slater from the hottest thing on both rosters to who cares.

lets be real, that was his endgame anyway, got the happy story, usos will win and feud with AA

My opinion is very biased as I've always not been very into Tanahashi.

Looked at purely objectively, yes, Tana vs Okada is one of the very top matches of the year.

Fair enough. What makes you not very into Tanahashi?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What if Bray Wyatt dies and becomes Brother Abigail?

I can't wait for Nikki Cross to turn out to be Sister Abigail and Sanity is their competing backwoods hillbilly cult.

I mean, most people were saying Backlash was going to be shit looking just at the card so I'm a lot more optimistic.

Edit: what BlackFlip is saying basically.

Angry Grimace

It just feels like a PPV I can safely watch later and not watch live because I don't expect anything interesting to happen. Then again, lots of throwaway PPVs have turned out good before - Backlash was throwaway in concept, too.

The Slater story-line always had the overlooking question of 'what next' when he actually got the contract given that's the whole driving point of the story. Rhyno probably needs to leave soon to focus permanently on political stuff so our best hope is they try to make him a solid midcarder.

Usos vs American Alpha is where the Survivor Series focus will be for the tag-division.

Mahonay

Banned
lets be real, that was his endgame anyway, got the happy story, usos will win and feud with AA

Fair enough. What makes you not very into Tanahashi?
He's NJPW John Cena to me. It's not a character I can get invested in. I can appreciate him as an absolutely incredible wrestler, but the character does zero for me.

Recall

I hope Tanahashi passes on the Dragon System to a protege like how Tatsumi Fujinami passed it on to him.

Dragon Suplex
Dragon Screw
Dragon Sleeper

Angry Grimace

I hope Tye Dillinger finally gets a call-up. I don't expect him to be super over on SmackDown - in fact, I'd expect him to job, but he's really good at jobbing if that makes sense. He's over enough to bring some heat to matches and he makes his opponents look great.

Was Roadblock the bonus PPV this year too?

Roadblock was just a random house show they showed on the Network because of a Brock Lesnar match on the card that never really occurred. Technically, the match occurred as Lesnar vs. Wyatt/Harper in a handicap match, but it was a quick squash where Bray never entered the match at all (because he was hurt).

Mahonay

Banned
For reference, everyone was shitting on Backlash's card prior the the event if you check the OT, and it turned out to be one of the better PPV's this year. SD has been overachieving with their roster since the split.
I feel like a lot of people here are completely forgetting about this.

It's WWE, of course it has a good chance of being shit. You can say that about pretty much any WWE PPV, RAW or Smackdown.

Heroman

Banned
2016 has been a very weak year for wwe ppvs, I mean compare the best wwe ppv card to the ROH show last week and there is a might and day difference.

Recall

2016 has been a very weak year for wwe ppvs, I mean compare the best wwe ppv card to the ROH show last week and there is a might and day difference.

No different to 2015 or 2014 though we've had both Kevin Owens and AJ Styles to give us excellent matches.

Sasha, Charlotte and company have also helped this year too.

jmdajr

I really am dreading having to move away from Toronto after Survivor Series if the crowd Full Sails.

Is Corpus Christi nice this time of year?

You must really hate yourself.

I don't know, lets ask them!

*silence*

Corpus Christi is the shittiest city in Texas bar none.

I'm still confused as to why they keep going to Corpus Christi

10,000 seats

it's Vince's safe space

lolz

Angry Grimace

The reason they go to Corpus Christi is obvious: they sell tickets there and the crowd doesn't shit on the show.

I love SD. Feels like Denver with beaches which is my dream city.

Maybe when I get a new car, I will road trip out there and drive up and down the PCH.

He's NJPW John Cena to me. It's not a character I can get invested in. I can appreciate him as an absolutely incredible wrestler, but the character does zero for me.

got it

ReiGun

The Slater story-line always had the overlooking question of 'what next' when he actually got the contract given that's the whole driving point of the story. Rhyno probably needs to leave soon to focus permanently on political stuff so our best hope is they try to make him a solid midcarder.

Usos vs American Alpha is where the Survivor Series focus will be for the tag-division.
Slater still gets big reactions, so people haven't cooled on him completely.

They should have Rhyno turn on him and have Heath go over in the feud before Rhyno leaves. Make Heath look like a credible midcarder (something SD desperately needs) like you said.

Kaladin

A wild Bruiser Brody appears!

936b7cc89fbruiserbrody.jpg

Caderfix

I watch RAW whenever it isn't a giant fucking waste of my time. Which is about 10 times a year.

Same with SmackDown or are you watching weekly? I've stopped watching RAW even though my favs are there, but I've been watching SD every week and they were even able to make me care about Dolph Ziggler... DOLPH ZIGGLER. I'm really enjoying it.

Nekofrog

Banned
It just dawned on me, I get to sing the John cena sucks song live in person

I wish dean had a song that lent itself to easy derogatory lyrics

Mahonay

Banned
Same with SmackDown or are you watching weekly? I've stopped watching RAW even though my favs are there, but I've been watching SD every week and they were even able to make me care about Dolph Ziggler... DOLPH ZIGGLER. I'm really enjoying it.
I watch Smackdown every week. On average there is one segment I don't enjoy. FAR better ratio compared to an average RAW.

The only Smackdown episode post brand split that I consider dogshit was the very first one after the draft. I thought I was not going to be watching new Smackdown at all after that, but they turned it around pretty quickly.

Barrage

Pre Brand Split, there was one ok-to-bad show and one ok show.

Post Brand Split, there's one bad show and one great show.

Thats a net gain to me.

They can't do this again to Bray this Sunday ;_;

Pre Brand Split, there was one ok-to-bad show and one ok show.

Post Brand Split, there's one bad show and one great show.

Thats a net gain to me.
For the first time in like 11 years, I'm excited to watch an episode of main roster WWE programming every week.

That's huge for me.

Top Bottom