• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

bjork

Oh god. Don't make me think about if Hall and Nash never went over to WCW... Can you imagine Hogan being the perpetual good guy like Cena? Just imagine Hogan fighting the Dungeon of Doom, etc. etc. until, like, 2000... *shudders*

I bet the nWo thing would've happened with whichever ECW guys they could get to be the Outsiders. But without the star power of ex-WWF main eventers, I wonder if it could've had the same impact? Like if you took out Nash and Hall and put... say Shane Douglas and Sabu in those spots instead. Maybe would've made them megastars, but maybe not?

Zach

SO GOOD, BROTHER.

So, what has had you guys excited about wrestling lately? For me...

-The Lucha Underground trailer looks really promising
-The Cena/Ambrose stuff has actually been good minus Cena being a fucking dweeb and calling him "Mr. Ambrose"
-Seth Rollins' acting ability has taken a turn for the better over the past few weeks
-The usual ROH stuff...Jay Lethal, The Young Bucks, The Addiction, etc.
-EC3 and Rockstar Spud. :(

I'm pretty excited to get through 1995 in my chronological viewings. So close!

As for current stuff, I'm always into Ziggler and Ambrose, but I only watch the PPVs so I have no idea what's happening right now... Oh! I liked those Mizdow or whatever gifs you guys posted, so I look forward to seeing that.

Zach

I bet the nWo thing would've happened with whichever ECW guys they could get to be the Outsiders. But without the star power of ex-WWF main eventers, I wonder if it could've had the same impact? Like if you took out Nash and Hall and put... say Shane Douglas and Sabu in those spots instead. Maybe would've made them megastars, but maybe not?

I can't imagine that would've worked. And Hogan definitely wouldn't have been on board with anything less than Hall and Nash.

Hmmm... interesting...

Zach

It's a waste of time if it isn't Hall and Nash as The Outsiders.
It doesn't go supernova if the third guy isn't Hogan.

But what if the third man was...

Nova_at_hs_east_feb_1998.jpg

bjork

It's a waste of time if it isn't Hall and Nash as The Outsiders.
It doesn't go supernova if the third guy isn't Hogan.

Oh, definitely. Just kicking around the idea of who they would've used if that weren't an option. Pondering the people who were around at the time, I don't think there really was a good alternative. Those guys had/have a certain cool factor that was perfect for the time. If it had been two other WWF guys, I still doubt it would've hit like that. Bret and HBK or something? Not likely.

Verendus

Banned
I just watched my old Austin VHS titled "Hell Yeah", and folks need to check out that "You must conform" promo. It's from WWF Over The Edge 1998.

So awesome. How is this promo not on the internet already?

Also, Stone Cold really didn't like drivers who didn't understand the rules of the road. I can understand those feelings.

Zach

I just watched my old Austin VHS titled "Hell Yeah", and folks need to check out that "You must conform" promo. It's from WWF Over The Edge 1998.

So awesome. How is this promo not on the internet already?

Hey, I forgot to tell you I watched some of that the other day on the Network. It was A-OK but I abandoned it because it was out of context. I'll get there eventually and watch it all.

Verendus

Banned
Hey, I forgot to tell you I watched some of that the other day on the Network. It was A-OK but I abandoned it because it was out of context. I'll get there eventually and watch it all.
You mean the promo?

If there's one thing I feel WWE has always been pretty good with for a very long time, it's their video packages. I have to commend whoever or whatever team is making them. They seem to be the only consistent thing there.

Network arrives here soon, I think. I'll probably sign up for it in January. I gotta watch that final Brotista run, and the return of Sting.

Oh, definitely. Just kicking around the idea of who they would've used if that weren't an option. Pondering the people who were around at the time, I don't think there really was a good alternative. Those guys had/have a certain cool factor that was perfect for the time. If it had been two other WWF guys, I still doubt it would've hit like that. Bret and HBK or something? Not likely.

Maybe Savage or Warrior

Rapstah

I'm making my one-post return to this subcommunity (like when Christian returned to TNA in 2012... actually a lot like that) to tell the guy who really liked Corey Graves back in February that I was mostly joking when I said he was the dullest guy ever and that I in no way actually wanted for him to retire forever.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - C+
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVIII - C+
SummerSlam '94 - C-
Fall Brawl '94 - C-
Halloween Havoc '94 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXIX - D
Survivor Series '94 - F
Starrcade '94 - D

Royal Rumble '95 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXX - D+
SuperBrawl V - D+
Uncensored '95 - F
WrestleMania XI - D+
In Your House 1 - C-
Slamboree '95 - C-
The Great American Bash '95 - D
King of the Ring '95 - F
Bash at the Beach '95 - F
In Your House 2 - C
Clash of the Champions XXXI - C
SummerSlam '95 - C+
Fall Brawl '95 - D+
In Your House 3 - C+
In Your House 4 - D+
Halloween Havoc '95 - F
Survivor Series '95 - C+
World War 3 '95 - C
In Your House 5 - C-

Ahmed Johnson taking some brutal shots to the head, the debut of Xanta Klaus, Bret Hart bleeding all over the place, Diesel and Taker having an awkward exchange in the back -- this event had it all!

And I just fired up the next Nitro and BAM! Alundra Blayze -- nay! -- Madusa just threw the WWF Women's Championship into the trashcan! Business is pickin' up, fellas!

RP912

Banned
I just watched NXT and smh....what's the point of Hideo having a feud with the ascension if he's not getting the upper hand at all :/?

Hasney

I just watched NXT and smh....what's the point of Hideo having a feud with the ascension if he's not getting the upper hand at all :/?

It's a longish story and he's against 2 people right now. He also had the upper hand his first night. Wait for it.

RP912

Banned
It's a longish story and he's against 2 people right now. He also had the upper hand his first night. Wait for it.

Hopefully because dude been on the canvas for a good few weeks. I'm not trying to say be a utlra bad ass and no sell the fuck out of moves...but jeez you're friggin KENTA.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So what's the point of JBL in the Rusev angle? He's not putting over the faces, he's not putting over Rusev, he's not getting the shit kicked out of him as an angle to say the face is frustrated. There is literally no point in JBL's 'HE CAN DO IT NO HE CANT FUCK HIM' angle. It doesn't do anything for anyone.

bjork

Maybe Savage or Warrior

If they could've had a Hogan/Savage/Warrior thing happen in like late 94 or whenever Randy first went there, that could've been interesting at least. Dunno if it would've had that cool edge to it without the younger guys involved. Old World Order etc, heh.

Ithil

He just beat them up last week. They're trading getting the upper hand.
Also it is two against one. For now.

LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

WCW HOG WILD 1996

• Rey Mysterio Jr vs Ultimate Dragon WCW Cruiserweight Championship
  • Scott Norton vs Ice Train
  • Madusa vs Bull Nakano Battle of the Bikes
  • That Motherfucker Dean Malenko vs Chris Benoit
  • Harlem Heat vs Steiner Brothers WCW Tag Team Championships
  • Eddie Guerrero vs Ric Flair WCW US Championship
  • The Outsiders vs Sting/Lex Luger
  • Hollywood Hogan vs The Giant WCW Championship

A show that probably could have been a classic WCW PPV had it been in an arena that had actual wrestling fans on hand to watch it. Instead, everything that seems like it'd be rad fell flat because the bikers didn't care about anything except really hating Harlem Heat. They were far and away the biggest heels of the night, for all of the wrong reasons, since the Steiners were actually cheating the whole match and HH didn't cheat at all until the finish. So it wasn't hating on them for being heels. Brain was clearly drinking heavily during the show and by the time the main event came around, he could barely speak. And the main event itself was as ridiculous as Starrcade 1997.

Hulk hadn't wrestled since March. Giant had been the most dominant dude in the world since March. No one could stop him or even come that close. So of course Hulk dominates Giant for almost the entire match. Out wrestles him and over powers him. Multiple times he is able to knock Giant to the mat with one arm. He spends a good 2-4 minutes with Giant on his knees after winning a test of strength. And then when he hits Giant with the title, Giant stays down on the mat for the next 10 minutes without moving.

Urban legend has it that a young Bulgarian was in the crowd, got indoctrinated into the racist culture of Sturgis and vowed to go on to wrestle and camel clutch every Black guy he saw ever.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hog Wild is surprisingly good! Look at the match list from the preshow though, that's why. A ton of stinkers there.

strobogo

Banned
Michael Hayes looks like the kind of guy who would write a song about kids not being allowed to pray in school and then go burn a cross on a black dude's lawn.

Top Bottom