• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

Gonzalez

Banned
Hog Wild is surprisingly good! Look at the match list from the preshow though, that's why. A ton of stinkers there.

Shame we probably will never get those on the network.

Did you know that those WCW pre-shows were 2 hours long!? So technically if you ordered the PPV you would get a 5 hour PPV.

RP912

Banned

Did you know that those WCW pre-shows were 2 hours long!? So technically if you ordered the PPV you would get a 5 hour PPV.

The amazing part about it was the fact it was 5 hours of WRESTLING...and not 3 and the half of bullshit segments.

WCW= GOAT

Man God

Non-Canon Member

The amazing part about it was the fact it was 5 hours of WRESTLING...and not 3 and the half of bullshit segments.

WCW= GOAT

Here's the pre show list for Hog Wild.

Saturday Night match: The Public Enemy (Rocco Rock and Johnny Grunge) defeated Dick Slater and Mike Enos (3:47)
Saturday Night match: Konnan defeated Chavo Guerrero, Jr. (4:24)
Saturday Night match: The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobs and Jerry Sags) defeated High Voltage (Robbie Rage and Kenny Kaos) (3:22)
Saturday Night match: Alex Wright defeated Bobby Eaton (0:30)
Saturday Night match: The Dungeon of Doom (The Taskmaster, Meng, and The Barbarian) defeated Joe Gomez, Jim Powers, and Mark Starr (3:06)
Saturday Night match: Squire David Taylor defeated Mr. JL (2:37)
Saturday Night match: Diamond Dallas Page defeated The Renegade (6:53)
Saturday Night match: Arn Anderson defeated Hugh Morrus (0:40)

You couldn't pay me 9.99 a month to watch that, brother.

strobogo

Banned
5 hours of wrestling in one sitting sounds awful. Especially when a bunch are under 5 minutes and have shitty dudes in them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
5 hours of wrestling in one sitting sounds awful. Especially when a bunch are under 5 minutes and have shitty dudes in them.

That preshow sort of helped make the PPV good though as other 1996 PPVs had those sorts of matches buried somewhere in the actual show. This one just takes everyone you don't want to see and puts them on TBS.

Alucard

Banned
Any show that goes over the 3 hour mark starts feeling way too long. Between 2 and 2.5 hours is the wrestling sweet spot, and that's counting an intermission.

WCW= GOAT

Just wrestling??? No wonder wcw went out of business, that's how you know the WWE was really shitty if WCW was beating them in the ratings

strobogo

Banned
Any show that goes over the 3 hour mark starts feeling way too long. Between 2 and 2.5 hours is the wrestling sweet spot, and that's counting an intermission.

Yeah. People have always bitched about PPVs always ending 10-15 minutes early, but has there ever been a PPV that after 2 hours and 45 minutes that you're really not ready for it to end? 3 hours of just about anything is too long. 3 hour concert. 3 hour movie. 3 hour ball game. 3 hour wrestling show. Too much.

Gonzalez

Banned

I don't know? I like the randomness of WCW's undercard, and I'm sure seeing Double A DDT Hugh Morris straight to hell in under 40 seconds is worth 9.99.

Also let's not forget the positive here. These dudes got paid for their 3 minute cameos. Unlike today...

3 hour wrestling is just crazy outside of PPV's. When people first asked me how long Raw was and I told them from 8 to 11 they looked at me like I was nuts

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maybe I'm old, but like an hour and a half is ideal for me. I had to take so many breaks watching AJPW or STARDOM not necessarily because the action wasn't compelling, but it just felt like it was going on forever.

strobogo

Banned
This Clash is brutal. Completely redundant with the advent of Nitro, so it just ended up being a Nitro with double the commercials.

Vylash

8GxJ2rV.png

tumblr_inline_nc2d4hESao1qkdtni.gif

friend bean breath is pretty excited to hit that renew button

Aiii

So not worth it
Bryan might as well just return as a heel, because as long as people I don't enjoy watching use his chant (like Brie and Bog Show, for instance) I am turning on the chant like it's the 2014 version of WHAT?!

RP912

Banned

Saturday Night match: The Public Enemy (Rocco Rock and Johnny Grunge) defeated Dick Slater and Mike Enos (3:47)
Saturday Night match: Konnan defeated Chavo Guerrero, Jr. (4:24)
Saturday Night match: The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobs and Jerry Sags) defeated High Voltage (Robbie Rage and Kenny Kaos) (3:22)
Saturday Night match: Alex Wright defeated Bobby Eaton (0:30)
Saturday Night match: The Dungeon of Doom (The Taskmaster, Meng, and The Barbarian) defeated Joe Gomez, Jim Powers, and Mark Starr (3:06)
Saturday Night match: Squire David Taylor defeated Mr. JL (2:37)
Saturday Night match: Diamond Dallas Page defeated The Renegade (6:53)
Saturday Night match: Arn Anderson defeated Hugh Morrus (0:40)

looks like typical dubba cee dubba booking

Nerdkiller

Membeur
A little Sunny bird told me that this month is nWo month. Let me just see if I can find a suitable avatar for this event.

Bryan might as well just return as a heel, because as long as people I don't enjoy watching use his chant (like Brie and Bog Show, for instance) I am turning on the chant like it's the 2014 version of WHAT?!
At least the Yes chant has a degree of positivity to it. All "What" does is kill any potential heat from whatever superstar is doing their promo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And here's another rant from watching old hardcore wrestling. It's directed at WWE in particular. If you're not gonna hit dudes in the head with a chair? Don't bother using fucking chairs. The 'hit them in the stomach then hit them in the back' shit continues to just say FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE THIS IS FAKE FAKE. If you're worried about concussions, then just don't use chairs. Because that shit looks so awful. If you're wailing on a dude while they're down on their stomach, hitting them in the back makes sense. But fuck the stomach/back shot bullshit. Stop doing it. Even the 'nail them in the face with the edge of the chair' is safe and looks a hundred times better
KqrDpCG.gif

Reminds me of Triple H and his fucking sledgehammer. You're gonna get em real good by hitting them with your hand around the back of the sledgehammer, dude.

Aiii

So not worth it
My problem with the chairs is an entirely different one tbh. It's the fact that the blatant plastic looking and most of all sounding chairs are still being sold to us as steel chairs.

They are plastic, plastic, they couldn't be more plastic if they tried. Especially in HD that shit just doesn't fly. Stop it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They might hate each others guts, but they know the other guy has a family and they don't want them eating oatmeal through a straw. It's called respect.

Chairs and weapons altogether are pointless. So are cage matches and plenty of other gimmick matches.

They won't let guys juice making any of these gimmicks mean very little. Sure you can have a cage match without blood but it makes it just another match.

I'm not one who needs buckets of blood but some blood helps make the match better.

Edit: And fuck kendo sticks those are the worst.

strobogo

Banned
My problem with the chairs is an entirely different one tbh. It's the fact that the blatant plastic looking and most of all sounding chairs are still being sold to us as steel chairs.

They are plastic, plastic, they couldn't be more plastic if they tried. Especially in HD that shit just doesn't fly. Stop it.

What plastic chairs are being used on WWE TV? Show me video, stills, or illegal gif evidence of this.

Alucard

Banned
So, I'm watching Fighting Spirit Wrestling on the Fight Network, and they're showing a match between Tetsuya Naito vs. Jeff Hardy. Not sure what to expect, but I'm curious. It's when Hardy was TNA champion.

Vylash

btybmIq.gif

Alucard

Banned
No watching Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi vs. Prince Devitt and Taguchi for the IWGP Jr. Tag Team Championships. Really fun so far. Didn't know Omega and Ibushi had tagged...and we're known as The Golden Lovers. Great name.

Naito vs. Hardy was forgettable.

Alucard

Banned
The Golden Lovers' finisher is known as The Golden Shower. LOL.

And holy hell, this is one of the most entertaining tag match spot fests I've ever seen. Gotta see if it's available online somewhere.

Alucard

Banned
Now watching Tanahashi vs. Giant Bernard (Albert). 30 mins left on the TV show, so this will likely be a 20-minute match. Hmm. Intrigued.

Top Bottom