• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

robotrock

Banned
So if I don't like motion controls I assume that VR isn't for me right?

The Vive and the Oculus honestly take motion controls to another level in a way that your prior motion control experience is not gonna be indicative enough of whether or not you'll like this.

It's not Wii waggle and it tracks infinitely better than a Kinect or Playstation move.

Chumley

Banned

Motion controls are the coolest thing about it IMO but it's also great for HOTAS, Xbox Controllers, and Racing Wheel setups.

Standing upright and using your hands to tear robots apart or climb up a mountain is what really moves it from cool novelty product into a truly different gaming experience like you've never seen before.

robotrock

Banned
that was supposed to be a deal for a whole 24 hours. you guys really don't think they'll restock that promotion? not sure how this prime day thing works and if this is the kind of garbage you can expect

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks like Amazon uk have sold out. I can't find the deal anywhere.

There is a HUGE difference between motion controls in VR and motion controls outside of VR. I'm like you in that I don't really enjoy motion controls outside of VR, but that's mostly because it doesn't feel right when your actions are projected onto a screen. In VR it feels right because the motion controls match reality pretty much exactly.

that was supposed to be a deal for a whole 24 hours. you guys really don't think they'll restock that promotion? not sure how this prime day thing works and if this is the kind of garbage you can expect

man i was hesitant on buying it cause it was 24 hours. I was like "well, it is 24 hours, I could just wait"

but then I just caved in and said fuck it. I was so close to being screwed over.

Chumley

Banned

They might, worth checking again in 4 hours or so. But they might have had only a certain allotment of gift cards to give out.

giphy.gif

Unless you are physically impaired in some form or have such an exhausting job that you can't/don't want to move and only sit on the couch to play games... there is no reason to dislike motion controls in VR. Vive and Touch are very different from what you're maybe familiar with on Wii or kinect or move etc. If your tracking set-up is on point, they are very precise and just feel right.
They bring VR immersiveness to an even higher level than simply playing with a VR HMD and a standard gamepad/controller. Even if you can't run around in your room because you simply have not enough space, you want to have the freedom of using your actual body as much as possible, in some cases that only means being able to stand up and turn around on the spot and using both of your hands individually, still immensely superior to sitting down and having your hands tied together with a gamepad.

LiK

I was on the fence but then I remembered I would prefer a Vive more. Congrats to everyone who got one.

robotrock

Banned
man i was hesitant on buying it cause it was 24 hours. I was like "well, it is 24 hours, I could just wait"

but then I just caved in and said fuck it. I was so close to being screwed over.

Hell yeah, congrats! Honestly I'm bummed I stayed up this late to catch this whole thing fly out of my reach, after buying the same deal (but without the gift card) 12 hours ago.

Hell yeah, congrats! Honestly I'm bummed I stayed up this late to catch this whole thing fly out of my reach, after buying the same deal (but without the gift card) 12 hours ago.

sorry man...I've been in your shoes before so I know how it feels, this is one of the few times, where, I actually got "the deal"

samoset

Ordered mine from Amazon earlier today and woke up to the $100 gift card being added to the bundle. Spent 40 mins on the phone with amazon customer service, they suggested I add the new bundle as a new order. But the lady was not able to cancel the last one! She promised that she would "keep trying to cancel it over the night" and contact me tomorrow, but the whole thing is a mess. I don't see why they could not have just added the gift card to my current order. Right now the old bundle is charged to my account with another 100 for the gift card, so its really frustrating while all of this is pending.

Sorry, needed to rant about amazon.

Guess it could have been worse since they are all sold out right now!

sfried

I just had the greatest experience playing Elite Dangerous with the Rift.

Man, the scale of things doesn't hit you until you look up while trying to "return to surface" in a space station. It's like having free look on all the time, but even a large computer monitor can't get that feeling of scope the same way as noticing how big the scenery is all around you.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't really have any big Amazon purchases coming up, any easy way to flip the gift card into PayPal money or is the B/S/T thread my best bet?

You can upgrade your graphic card or buy some Rift accessories

hoserx

If not for the concerns for glasses-wearers, I'd have bought this already. At this point, I'm hesitant. Such a good deal though, damn.

LAA

Damn the Amazon US deal was very good!
I ordered mine from Currys as they could deliver it today.... Probably no hope of them price matching unless Amazon UK do it, and even then, not so hopeful.

Leeroy605

Looks like Amazon uk have sold out. I can't find the deal anywhere.

Scan.co.uk have them in stock with free next day delivery. It's where I got mine from and have used them before with zero issues.

Also do a buy now pay 9 months later type finance deal if you need.

Impulsor

So... I ordered via Oculus.com

Order status: ordered

I had to cancel first order because it couldn't verify my address (weird)

What status is next and how much time does it take?

StonedRider

I'm a big fan of the Rift headphones tbh. They have very minimal pressure and sound great.

If you get headphones, three pieces of advice.

First, because they aren't going to be integrated on the headset, just make sure they hold on your head well. Don't want them falling off in the middle of a game!

Second, don't forget to factor in the added weight of the headphones on top of the HMD. This is where the Rift headphones have a big advantage because it's minimal. Too heavy and it's probably going to not be comfortable, and also break immersion feeling them on your head.

Finally, make sure the cable is long enough (or get an extension cable). While the Rift lets you remove their headphones, it doesn't have a headphone jack on the HMD itself. You need to run that cable yourself. Probably would be best to get cable ties of some sort as well so you can just wrap the audio cable around the HMD cable so it's not messy.

Have fun! It's awesome. :)

Thank you again, you are very helpful!

I will plug my headphones into the receiver directly and it is near my PC, so I can tie all cables together.

I suppose, Rift headphones are included in the package? If yes, then I will try them and see if I need anything else.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
anyone with a PSVR can tell me how Oculus resolution/SDE compares? (i'm not looking for spec sheets, but actual usage impressions)

I suppose, Rift headphones are included in the package? If yes, then I will try them and see if I need anything else.

Odds are the Rift headphones are better than what you're currently using. These aren't something cheap that Oculus just tossed into the box so that they could brag about having inbuilt audio.

CEO

anyone with a PSVR can tell me how Oculus resolution/SDE compares? (i'm not looking for spec sheets, but actual usage impressions)

Its a noticeable improvement over PSVR. I wouldn't say its significant, the frame rate often is better. After buying PSVR i didn't look back to be honest. The only thing i miss is Elite in VR.

Theonik

It's not really better, I'd even say PSVR looks clearer to me. That's because despite having a higher resolution, Oculus uses a pentile display which has a much more noticeable pixel structure.
The pentile structure also provides lower resolution to some colour primaries too.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Having to fight over scraps with other Prime members sure does make me feel valued Amazon. God forbid you'd honor your daily deals on back order!

enewtabie

Ordered yesterday. The headset will be here Thursday but the touch controls wont' be here until next Tuesday. Any recommendations for gamepad only games that will show that VR wow factor.

Dezzy

If not for the concerns for glasses-wearers, I'd have bought this already. At this point, I'm hesitant. Such a good deal though, damn.

There are actually a couple places online where you can order perscription lenses and frames made to fit the Rift. Actual frames you can wear, and even ones that just insert into the Rift and leave in there.

WIDMOvr, and VR Lens Lab.

Lakuza

Thinking about wall mounting the sensors when they arrive. Any good recommendations on wall mounts that are suitable for it? (in uk)
Also are steam vr games automatically rift compatible or do they require a lot of messing around to make it work?

hoserx

There are actually a couple places online where you can order perscription lenses and frames made to fit the Rift. Actual frames you can wear, and even ones that just insert into the Rift and leave in there.

WIDMOvr, and VR Lens Lab.

that's really cool but it starts to make the deal look less appealing, of course. Thanks for the link!

Thinking about wall mounting the sensors when they arrive. Any good recommendations on wall mounts that are suitable for it? (in uk)
Also are steam vr games automatically rift compatible or do they require a lot of messing around to make it work?

There are symbols on Steam displaying which headset is officially supported.

Here in Rec Room it's right next to the "Play Rec Room" button where the system symbol is located (windows in this case). On the side there are more detailled infomations, which vr tracked controller are supported, if they are supported etc.

As long as you see these symbols it shouldn't be any hassle, should work out of the box so to speak. If you don't see these symbols, game probably works anyway, but then you sometimes have to do a little bit more than just pressing play. The real hassle is probably how the controls are configured with a different set of VR controllers as the game then only shows the respective officially supported controllers.

The bundle seems to be sold as a bundle but itemized separately.

I'm getting the Rift headset on like the 17th but the touch controllers on the 24th.

hoserx

I don't think these are good deals.

Just buy cheap thin lenses.

Are you saying just buy any lens and put them into the rift? I'm not sure that'll work.... These are lenses that replace the lenses in the unit, not on your frames.

Also I think the reason for the lenses is that many people have frames that are too large to comfortably fit within the rift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom