• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Personally I prefer Pavlov pretty much for the knocks on Onward you stated though I'd definitely say Onward is more polished. It's really about preference though. Onward is the slower, methodical, more tactical, often long range shooter with little bursts of action. Pavlov is the faster, more carefree, often up close game with lots of action. Basically Onward is ARMA while Pavlov is Counter Strike.

They are two different style games, only really bearing similarities on the surface.

I agree, Pavlov is the better game. It's faster, quick to start and restart, and very accessible.

Onward is amazing if you're more VR seasoned and like deeper, slower "sim-like" experiences.

Don't think I'll be grabbing this as I've already got the PSVR, but I am curious about a few things:

1. Will this 100% work with Steam? How difficult is it to make it work?

2. Does it come with a camera?

3. How far away do you have to sit away for it to properly track you?

4. How beefy does your PC need to be to run it?

5. How many cables does it require to attach to your PC?

I'm hoping it won't be too much longer until they create wireless headsets. The billion cables that the PSVR requires is probably my biggest pet peeve.

1) 100%
2) Comes with 2 for 360° rotation
3) Just be visible. This isn't the PSVR's shitty camera.
4) I recommend a 3ghz or higher Skylake or Haswell with a MINIMUM GTX1060.
5) A lot unfortunately. One USB for each major component. So about 4 or 5 depending on camera setup and whether you're using the Xbox one controller. Apparently some HUBs work with the cabling. Mileage may vary.

Wireless solutions are already out and perform flawlessly. But integrated units not until late next year or early 2019.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
I'm a Vive user, and so only use Home for the exclusive stuff. If you say home works flawlessly with Steam user interaction, then so be it.

But at some point, they are going to be using Steam anyway (or may do so already), and the new Steam VR Home absolutely demolishes the starting lobby Oculus provides.

I am certainly going off on a tangent, but even as a Rift owner, I'd probably stick with Steam's more comprehensive software and only use Home for the exclusives or perhaps single player stuff.

Fair enough although I'll argue that for rift users home is seamless. Put on the headset and your there. Some users (like me) also encounter a variety of issues/bugs using steamvr. To me the most annoying thing is that I get coil whine (1080Ti) when steamvr is running. It's the only app/game that does this which is strange. But I also get random crashes/black screens or games occasionally getting hung. That instability alone makes me shy away from steam. I usually advice people to buy on home unless the multiplayer component is not cross compatible like project cars. In that case the larger userbase on steam makes more sense.

How's locomotion handled in each game? Left analog movement with head tracking for turning etc.?

I got a little "cold-sweaty" when i owned PSVR trying to play RIGS. I "think" it was the constant drifting of controllers, weird head bobbing from the camera and overall body disconnect as a result that got me and not the movement.... or so i hope. I do keep hearing that Oculus is less likely to make me feel like that with the better tracking and stuff so lets hope!

Left analog (I assume, I have a Vive so it's a trackpad). Rotating the left controller a bit also can affect movement which sounds weird but is actually pretty intuitive. Turning is decoupled from your head. You can either turn in real life to do that, or I know Onward has snap turning as an option and I think Pavlov does as well. Onward's movement speed is pretty slow which helps with motion sickness. Pavlov is a bit faster which may or may not give you trouble but it also has an incremental teleport option. Neither game does head bobbing and tracking is more solid on Rift and Vive so those shouldn't be issues.

SpacLock

Just had my first VR experience this morning after picking this up. Played Robo Recall (I think that's what it's called?) and HOLY SHIT VR is amazing.

Even my girlfriend who doesn't care for video games at all had a blast. Like, she legit picked up on Robo Recall like a natural (somewhat) and was doing extremely well for someone who NEVER plays games. I was shocked.

if you were always super curious about VR and would like a new toy, don't sleep on this deal. Seriously. Fucking pick this thing up. It's like your personal amusement park at home.

I'm bummed I won't be able to experience RE 7 on this thing, but I have my hopes up that it's made avaliable soon. But since I have to wait for something that will make me shit myself, what's the scariest game I can get in this thing st the moment?

Left analog (I assume, I have a Vive so it's a trackpad). Rotating the left controller a bit also can affect movement which sounds weird but is actually pretty intuitive. Turning is decoupled from your head. You can either turn in real life to do that, or I know Onward has snap turning as an option and I think Pavlov does as well. Onward's movement speed is pretty slow which helps with motion sickness. Pavlov is a bit faster which may or may not give you trouble but it also has an incremental teleport option. Neither game does head bobbing and tracking is more solid on Rift and Vive so those shouldn't be issues.

Interesting. Do you mean pronation/supination of your wrist speeds you up or slows you down?

I'm just hoping I have a better time in VR and dont get as nauseous. Only happened in RIGS so i'm hopeful.

kinggroin

Banned
Just had my first VR experience this morning after picking this up. Played Robo Recall (I think that's what it's called?) and HOLY SHIT VR is amazing.

Even my girlfriend who doesn't care for video games at all had a blast. Like, she legit picked up on Robo Recall like a natural (somewhat) and was doing extremely well for someone who NEVER plays games. I was shocked.

if you were always super curious about VR and would like a new toy, don't sleep on this deal. Seriously. Fucking pick this thing up. It's like your personal amusement park at home.

I'm bummed I won't be able to experience RE 7 on this thing, but I have my hopes up that it's made avaliable soon. But since I have to wait for something that will make me shit myself, what's the scariest game I can get in this thing st the moment?

Ghost Town Minecart is one
Paranormal Activity is another
A Chair in the Room is yet another

SOLDIER

They are two different style games, only really bearing similarities on the surface.

I agree, Pavlov is the better game. It's faster, quick to start and restart, and very accessible.

Onward is amazing if you're more VR seasoned and like deeper, slower "sim-like" experiences.

1) 100%
2) Comes with 2 for 360° rotation
3) Just be visible. This isn't the PSVR's shitty camera.
4) I recommend a 3ghz or higher Skylake or Haswell with a MINIMUM GTX1060.
5) A lot unfortunately. One USB for each major component. So about 4 or 5 depending on camera setup and whether you're using the Xbox one controller. Apparently some HUBs work with the cabling. Mileage may vary.

Wireless solutions are already out and perform flawlessly. But integrated units not until late next year or early 2019.

2 cameras? Where do you place the second one (behind you)?

low-G

Since the controls are so different, my father who is in his 70s and barely touched a video game can actually aim a virtual gun and hit targets pretty well.

Apparently PSVR has 1 year RE7 exclusively. So you can track the wait.

Blam

Don't think I'll be grabbing this as I've already got the PSVR, but I am curious about a few things:

1. Will this 100% work with Steam? How difficult is it to make it work?

2. Does it come with a camera?

3. How far away do you have to sit away for it to properly track you?

4. How beefy does your PC need to be to run it?

5. How many cables does it require to attach to your PC?

I'm hoping it won't be too much longer until they create wireless headsets. The billion cables that the PSVR requires is probably my biggest pet peeve.

Yes, Yes, 1.5x2m or much closer if you're just doing standing I think its 1x1m

I've got a 1060, and a i5-6500k so I dunno if you're that mid range.

1 for the headset (usb), 1 hdmi, 2-3 for cameras if you buy the extra one. But if you're not doing roomscale then 2 cameras is fine.

giggaman

Neo Member
Tempting, but I think I've resolved to stick with one headset until they find a way to make these wireless.

Bigots don't deserve inclusion. Sorry.

You really are sticking it to the man, eh! Take that, billionaire Rift founder. That'll show you to not toe the line of liberal orthodoxy!

If you're going to resort to economic bullying and straight up abandon political discourse, at least make it effective economic bullying. Or, you know, stop bullying people whose only crime is not agreeing with your expansive definition of bigotry (and their employees who don't care about any of this).

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

RE7 will probably arrive in about 6 months. PSVR had 1 yr exclusivity. Aside from what kinggroin suggested also try Affected: The Manor and Dreadhalls

Coolade

I place two in front of me on the sides of my monitor. It tracks me just fine sitting at my desk using an xbox controller or I can step back into my room for room scale. In fact I just bought a 3rd sensor to place behind me to form a triangle (games like robo recall have you reaching behind your back to grab shotguns and it will just help especially with tracking if i decide to turn completely around)

Blam

You can current with a mod for RE7 you can do VR with it.

Well yeah Robo Recall and most of VR is much easier to get into since it'll feel much more natural then when you're not using just a controller, plus you can get much more immersed in it as well.

I'd recommend everyone also to get VR Covers since you'll need to be swapping those things out it'll get dirty lol.

This is tempting.. is this different enough from PSVR to be worthwhile to have alongside it in people's opinion?

Yes it's a massive improvement if you're coming from PSVR.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
This is tempting.. is this different enough from PSVR to be worthwhile to have alongside it in people's opinion?

Yes, the touch controllers and greatly improved tracking alone make it worth it. PSVR move controllers were always a bit janky imo. Oh, and because of Echo Arena...gotta hype that game more :D

Interesting. Do you mean pronation/supination of your wrist speeds you up or slows you down?

I'm just hoping I have a better time in VR and dont get as nauseous. Only happened in RIGS so i'm hopeful.

More that it affects direction. For example you could start walking forward by holding up on the analog stick and while still holding it, rotate the controller to the left a bit and that would have you strafe to the left a bit while still moving forward. Think of it kind of like gyro aiming adjustment except just for locomotion instead of aiming.

kinggroin

Banned

Better exclusives I feel, drastically larger library as a whole. Much MUCH better tracking and vastly better controllers.

Not nearly as glasses friendly as the PSVR, and the screen isn't as..."clean" looking. But you have the option for way higher rendering resolution to help with clarity if your PC is good enough.

The PSVR is nice for what it is, but it's very clearly a second rate solution

giggaman

Neo Member

Brookhaven Experiment is pretty freaky.

giggaman

Neo Member
Does the bundle come with any stands or mounts for the 2 cameras?

The cameras come attached to stands that are designed to be placed on a desk. You can remove the sensors and wallmount them if you want, but this is not supported out of the box. (does not come with a mounting bracket)

rickyson1

damn I really should use mine at some point

I spent like a thousand on mine and it's just been gathering dust due to sheer laziness on my part

Bookoo

Normally they are placed on the side on each side of your monitor. If you get a bit better tracking when turning around if you place them higher up and angle them downwards.

I have played many games where I completely lose myself in my playspace and end up turned around and don't notice much tracking loss.

I just recently decided to add another camera and get an extra set of controllers just to make sure because I have been playing a lot of echo arena and it's a bit more frantic than most games.

Im so confused. Some of you are saying it comes with two sensors.. but I only see one... am I wrong?

Headset comes with 1 and controllers come with 1.

SpacLock

Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

I'm picking between:

Ghost Town Mine Ride
Dreadhalls
A Chair In The Room

We really want to shit our pants.

enewtabie

Nice. Ordered yesterday and it said Thurs delivery.Amazon Updated to tomorrow delivery.. Still have to wait until next Tuesday for the Touch controllers

Whats the best space game?

I have Everspace on Win 10, is that usable with Rift?.

Wallach

I'm picking between:

Ghost Town Mine Ride
Dreadhalls
A Chair In The Room

Definitely GTMR. Not sure which one is necessarily scarier but it is much higher quality. Dreadhalls also is much more likely to make one of you sick.

Hey guys got my rift had a blast last night. But i have a few problems/questions.

1st) When i put the headset on and adjust the sweet spot i see a gap by my nose that allows me to see outside the headset which breaks Emerson when i notice it. Am i adjusting it wrong or maybe i can buy a piece of foam to add to the headset?

2nd) Are they different Profiles for seated and standing experiences? I notice when i setup my touch controllers my seated position in Elite dangerous is wrong. And how to you switch from using the touch controllers to the xbox one controller? It won't allow me to use the xbox controller anymore.

I'm picking between:

Ghost Town Mine Ride
Dreadhalls
A Chair In The Room

Ghost Town is constant jumpscares and more of a railshooter but you also walk quite a bit on your own in the game.

Dreadhalls makes many people really nervous (I'm kinda immune to it) but it's basically the same claustrophobic labyrinth like environment througout the game.

A Chair in A Room: Greenwater is suspense and atmosphere pure, very few jumpscares. Kinda Lynch like experience... out of those 3 it gave me the most chills on my back. I believe most people will say that Dreadhalls takes the cake out of those 3 games. The only game that doesn't have the potential to make you sick due to teleportation. (I can't remember if that was an option in the other two games, been a while)

UrbanRats

I played Dreadhalls on the GearVR, and the atmosphere was tense i guess, but the models were just too crude to be remotely scary.
I should add that i play a lot of horror games, and i usually don't scare easily with them, so YMMV.

It definitely enhanced the experience though, on a 2D screen would've been scarier to browse GAF.

StereoVsn

The cameras come attached to stands that are designed to be placed on a desk. You can remove the sensors and wallmount them if you want, but this is not supported out of the box. (does not come with a mounting bracket)
Does anyone have recommendations for mounting brackets and/or floor booms.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Hey guys got my rift had a blast last night. But i have a few problems/questions.

1st) When i put the headset on and adjust the sweet spot i see a gap by my nose that allows me to see outside the headset which breaks Emerson when i notice it. Am i adjusting it wrong or maybe i can buy a piece of foam to add to the headset?

2nd) Are they different Profiles for seated and standing experiences? I notice when i setup my touch controllers my seated position in Elite dangerous is wrong. And how to you switch from using the touch controllers to the xbox one controller? It won't allow me to use the xbox controller anymore.

1. Yeah, nose gap can be annoying at times. You can try and block it or if you're in a room just turn off all the lights :)

2. Both controllers should work at the same time. Make sure the mirrored image on your monitor is in focus by clicking on it. For some games the xbox controller won't work if the game isn't in focus/on top on the desktop.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I'm picking between:

Ghost Town Mine Ride
Dreadhalls
A Chair In The Room

Some horror VR titles but I can't vouch for their quality.

"Face Your Fears" is an app that consist of horror experiences in various scenarios
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/gear-vr/1168200286607832/

"Paranormal Activity VR: The Lost Soul" though this game is getting mixed reactions
http://store.steampowered.com/app/467660/Paranormal_Activity_The_Lost_Soul/

Affected: The Manor
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1171399169574498/

ARAYA
http://store.steampowered.com/app/466740/ARAYA/

Narcosis
http://store.steampowered.com/app/366870/Narcosis/

Upcoming:
Affected: The Cabin
http://www.fallenplanetstudios.com/affected-the-cabin/

Don't Knock Twice (29 Aug)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/328590/Dont_Knock_Twice/

Home Sweet Home (Sep)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/617160/Home_Sweet_Home/

Visage
https://youtu.be/bMlTSukHsX0

low-G

Nice. Ordered yesterday and it said Thurs delivery.Amazon Updated to tomorrow delivery.. Still have to wait until next Tuesday for the Touch controllers

Whats the best space game?

I have Everspace on Win 10, is that usable with Rift?.

I own Everspace and I haven't tried it because I heard it's impossible to get the framerate high enough to feel really good. I'm sure it's completely playable, but the sense of immersion will be diminished.

House of the Dying Sun, on the other hand, is one of the most immersive games I've ever played. It feels incredible, just like you'd hope, probably. Has a lot to do with smart cockpit design (the Eve Valkyrie cockpits feel huge, and the action feels very video gamey, although it's so fast paced it's a different experience altogether).

Lagamorph

I'm kind of tempted, but I worry that my 970 isn't really up to scratch for decent VR.
I'm also not sure there's enough PC exclusive VR games to justify the price, especially when I've already got a PSVR.

I might wait for the next gen of PC VR headsets and for then to being wireless to the table. Last thing I need is more cables in my office where the PC is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom