• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
More that it affects direction. For example you could start walking forward by holding up on the analog stick and while still holding it, rotate the controller to the left a bit and that would have you strafe to the left a bit while still moving forward. Think of it kind of like gyro aiming adjustment except just for locomotion instead of aiming.

Ohhhhh i get it now... very neat idea! Do both games do that?

kinggroin

Banned
I'm kind of tempted, but I worry that my 970 isn't really up to scratch for decent VR.
I'm also not sure there's enough PC exclusive VR games to justify the price, especially when I've already got a PSVR.

I might wait for the next gen of PC VR headsets and for then to being wireless to the table. Last thing I need is more cables in my office where the PC is.

Yeah, not worth dropping cash in your situation.

Upgrade the PC, and buy into PC VR later on.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
I'm kind of tempted, but I worry that my 970 isn't really up to scratch for decent VR.
I'm also not sure there's enough PC exclusive VR games to justify the price, especially when I've already got a PSVR.

I might wait for the next gen of PC VR headsets and for then to being wireless to the table. Last thing I need is more cables in my office where the PC is.

Sure, but I think the PC exclusive games available now and upcoming are far better than the PSVR ones. If price isn't your reason to hop on now than you can wait but for anyone looking to get into high-end pcvr this is probably as good as it's going to get for a while at this price.

1. Yeah, nose gap can be annoying at times. You can try and block it or if you're in a room just turn off all the lights :)

2. Both controllers should work at the same time. Make sure the mirrored image on your monitor is in focus by clicking on it. For some games the xbox controller won't work if the game isn't in focus/on top on the desktop.
Thanks i'll this when i get home. What about the seated and standing experiences? Did i do something wrong while calibrating? I don't think i would have to re-calibrate everytime i want to go from standing to sitting.

teiresias

This is really tempting to go with my 1080 Ti, but I really want to buy a 4K TV this year, had convinced myself if I was going to go VR I'd go VIVE, and have a ton of home improvements to do.

Question, how does the horizontal FOV compare to PSVR? I tried PSVR when they were demoing them at Gamestop before its release and wasn't really impressed with VR due to the lack of peripheral vision. I think it's the biggest thing that makes current VR not very immersive to me (even more so than the screen resolution). Is the Rift any better or about the same as PSVR?

kinggroin

Banned
This is really tempting to go with my 1080 Ti, but I really want to buy a 4K TV this year, had convinced myself if I was going to go VR I'd go VIVE, and have a ton of home improvements to do.

Question, how does the horizontal FOV compare to PSVR? I tried PSVR when they were demoing them at Gamestop before its release and wasn't really impressed with VR due to the lack of peripheral vision. I think it's the biggest thing that makes current VR not very immersive to me (even more so than the screen resolution). Is the Rift any better or about the same as PSVR?

If you're going Vive for the modularity and roomscale, stay the course. By the time you get it, it'll be a little cheaper even.

But if you went Rift now, I don't think you'd regret it.

Tempted to buy Oculus Rift, for Elite Dangerous and Dirt mostly. I hope this is the right thread to ask some questions regarding Rift usage.

I have old Marantz SR5003 receiver with hdmi (hdmi 1.3 - 1080p/60fps) passthrough connected to my TV.
I would prefer to play Elite with my 5.1 surround sound instead of headphones and the game have this option (plays positional sound relative to cockpit, not to head).

1. Can I connect hdmi to my receiver and output 1080p 60fps picture on TV with sound through speakers while usind Rift through DisplayPort? Or DVI? In this case will TV work as a second monitor?

2. Can I connect all Rift usb connectors to one powered usb 3.0 hub?

3. Is there an easy way to setup spectator mode on TV/monitor?

I'm not sure if the rift can use DVI or display port. The cable has a hdmi connection so you'll need an adapter. My main worry is the bandwidth as it's doing above 1080 at 120 fps.

The occulus subreddit will definitely know the answer.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Thanks i'll this when i get home. What about the seated and standing experiences? Did i do something wrong while calibrating? I don't think i would have to re-calibrate everytime i want to go from standing to sitting.

If you need to re-center just hit the Xbone main button to bring up the oculus submenu and select re-center. That works for every game.

https://www.vrheads.com/field-view-faceoff-rift-vs-vive-vs-gear-vr-vs-psvr

https://virtualrealitytimes.com/2017/03/06/chart-fov-field-of-view-vr-headsets/

PSVR is a little bit narrower according to sources I've read on the internet. I have no personal experience with PSVR.

teiresias

If you're going Vive for the modularity and roomscale, stay the course. By the time you get it, it'll be a little cheaper even.

But if you went Rift now, I don't think you'd regret it.

I'm not too terribly tempted by room scale, because the room I'd have it in only has about a 8x8 ft open area (it'a a small dining room I actually use as my office, so between the room size and the furniture the open area amounts to about 8x8).

I've got six weeks so I'll think about it.

Aside from EVE being exclusive to Best Buy does it matter where we buy it from to get the other free software?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

its not an over statement to say Oculus' exclusives are far better than any VR games on any platforms.

samoset

Having the worst trouble with Amazon. I ordered the standard oculus rift + touch bundle last night, and saw the prime deal of the day go up a few hours later with the $100 gift card. I immediately got on the phone with customer support to try and get my order switched to that. The lady on customer service suggested I purchase the prime deal of the day and she would cancel the standard bundle. I have no idea why I believed her and didn't think it through since that had already entered shipping, but I went ahead and did it. The good is that I'll get the prime bundle, but the very bad is that I'll have to sit on another oculus bundle charge until I get the packages and send them back, since they cannot be canceled anymore!

I used to think that amazon had great customer service, but all the hurdles they put me though to get literally nothing done has completely changed that.

Has anyone that bought it before they enhanced the deal with the giftcard got customer service to throw in the giftcard after the fact? Tried for 2 hours this morning but they were clueless.

Blam

I'm not too terribly tempted by room scale, because the room I'd have it in only has about a 8x8 ft open area (it'a a small dining room I actually use as my office, so between the room size and the furniture the open area amounts to about 8x8).

Aside from EVE being exclusive to Best Buy does it matter where we buy it from to get the other free software?

Nope the other games are all automatically redeemed to your Oculus account when you setup your Rift & Touch.

Chumley

Banned
Just had my first VR experience this morning after picking this up. Played Robo Recall (I think that's what it's called?) and HOLY SHIT VR is amazing.

Even my girlfriend who doesn't care for video games at all had a blast. Like, she legit picked up on Robo Recall like a natural (somewhat) and was doing extremely well for someone who NEVER plays games. I was shocked.

if you were always super curious about VR and would like a new toy, don't sleep on this deal. Seriously. Fucking pick this thing up. It's like your personal amusement park at home.

I'm bummed I won't be able to experience RE 7 on this thing, but I have my hopes up that it's made avaliable soon. But since I have to wait for something that will make me shit myself, what's the scariest game I can get in this thing st the moment?

RE7 is almost guaranteed to hit PC VR next year.

If I didn't have a moral opposition with purchasing an Oculus product, I would be so in. I think Vive is generally regarded as the better PC VR HMD regardless, no?

Bookoo

If I didn't have a moral opposition to purchasing an Oculus product, I would be so in. I think Vive is generally regarded as the better PC VR HMD regardless, no?

No, Oculus just gets trashed in forums because of constant PR blunders (Price estimates, Palmer, exclusives)

They both have minor strengths and weakness, but for the large part they are very similar headsets.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

8x8 of walkable space, or 8x8 of above waist space? 8x8 is enough for many things and simply standing in place can be great (although also something oculus can do with touch)

MaDKaT

Damn, sorry I missed the $100 gift card offer. Currently sitting on the fence (own the Vive) but that extra incentive is quite compelling since I really like the touch controllers. Ugh... Valve needs to get on with it and release the Knuckles.

Bookoo

Roomscale is fine on Oculus especially in an 8x8 space. My space is similar (like 9'x9' ish) and I have been running 2 front facing cameras since launch and basically hasn't been a problem. I get like 270 degree of solid tracking and even find myself turning completely away and only sometime get glitches. Also many games have a snap turn, which I like to use a bit more because I find the cord so annoying that I don't even like turning 360 that much.

I did just buy another set of touch controllers and since it came with another camera I hooked that up and now my room is completely covered. No need to spend $300 more.

If I didn't have a moral opposition to purchasing an Oculus product, I would be so in. I think Vive is generally regarded as the better PC VR HMD regardless, no?

Yes, less cables, only two lighthouse boxes you can attache them to a powersocket near where you have placed them (if available of course or else you'd need extensions for them), no cables to your pc from them. Only one usb 2.0 cable from the HMD (the linkbox). If you invest some more, you can have wireless VR via TPcast (which will also be available for Rift though) and soon other products. Out of the box roomscale VR, compatible via revive with every Oculus game. Once the knuckles controllers are out, better VR controllers too.

But nobody can say if HTC is going to react to what Oculus is doing with the price and for many people that's quite the important factor.

There is no real reason to not take this offer here if you want VR and if you already have a capable pc and it's only the price difference between a Rift and a Vive that is too much for you. You can still upgrade to a Vive later if your situation changes (or check the LG headset first thats is coming with lighthouse tech).
If Oculus is not reducing the price forever to this level and is going up again you might even be able to sell it for a profit. And who knows, maybe Oculus is also working on improving their HMD and controller set-up behind closed doors and by then you are satisfied with the Rift, the situation might be different in a year or two.

teiresias

Since this is a few weeks long I think I'll just hold out in case another gift card deal comes around. If we get to the week before it ends and not I'll jump in.

After setting up the Rift, what is the general procedure ?

Should I install SteamVR (I'm planing to use Steam instead of Oculus Home) ?

Does Steam automatically detects Rift ?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

It does for me, when I try to run a game using steamvr steam already has most thing set up for me. The only thing I have to adjust is the play space.

Tain

Yeah, pretty much. You'll have to go into Oculus options and enable third-party apps before using SteamVR. Both SteamVR and Oculus let you trace your play area for roomscale, so if you already did that in Oculus (during Touch setup) you could configure SteamVR to just be "standing area" and not deal with an extra representation of your physical space.

The SteamVR config process might be different these days, though. Been a while since I set it up.

I just set mine up with a 970 and did First Contact. Note, I've never done any VR except for Cardboard. And it was a bit of a life altering experience.

Can't wait to show my 10 and 8 year olds when they get home. Anything I should absolutely have for some youngsters?

StonedRider

Hmmmmm.... returned from work ready to buy this thing and the package is currently unavailable on amazon.de. Hope it will be back soon!

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
I just set mine up with a 970 and did First Contact. Note, I've never done any VR except for Cardboard. And it was a bit of a life altering experience.

Can't wait to show my 10 and 8 year olds when they get home. Anything I should absolutely have for some youngsters?

They'll love first contact but you can also show them the short called "Henry" It's like a short pixar movie rendered in realtime and is very cute :) There's also Medium, Quill, Tiltbrush and Blocks if they're the artistic type. Toybox is also free and my 9 year old niece loves messing around in there.

webrunner

I have "moderate" sized area, how important is 360? Is it generally better to get "180 roomscale" solid or is 360 required for some of the best stuff?

MDave

Very tempting, but I'm going to hold out for another year. Them putting the price back up after 6 weeks, are going to make their sales momentum flat line. They should try that price drop again around holiday season, do you think they will?

Plasma

Banned
I have "moderate" sized area, how important is 360? Is it generally better to get "180 roomscale" solid or is 360 required for some of the best stuff?
Most games let you snap turn so you don't need full 360, obviously it is better to have it though.

Gus Track Adventures VR is a kid friendly rail shooter.

Richies Plank Experience could also be interesting for kids when watching the tribal instincts video where his kids played the game.

I think most non-overly violent games will do the trick. I'm not really sure about must haves tho.
-

To me personally "Roomscale VR" is more about not losing tracking, if you define it as "standing in your room and turning 360 degree and not lose tracking" that's a rather crude example. It's not loosing tracking whatever you do. Most guests I let try VR they often sit down somewhere on the floor after a while in Google Earth VR and navigate around that way and that's what roomscale VR for me is, standing, sitting and even lying down and not losing tracking inside the space you have set up. (Tough lying down is rather rare lol)

It's rarely ever neccessary or required, but it improves the experience quite a bit as you don't have to think about it any longer (then you think about the cable)

Yea first contact is the truth, that really sold me on vr.

teiresias

Nope the other games are all automatically redeemed to your Oculus account when you setup your Rift & Touch.

So you need to activate the Rift on a new account before the sale ends? What if you order on the last day of the sale and don't receive it until afterwards?

Tain

I'd say the biggest factor is how much you want to dive into SteamVR stuff. Most SteamVR software is made for 360 (though more and more games are getting 180-friendly snap rotation options added over time), and if you wanna play something like Pavlov or Onward I'd try to get a solid 360 setup (elevated trackers, ideally three of 'em).

Pretty much everything on the Oculus store is very 180-friendly, though.

webrunner

Well when I talk about roomscale, you can walk around in like, with a forward facing setup but it loses hand tracking if you turn around.

I can imagine this would cause a problem in 'walk around the thing' games like fantastic contraption but it looks like that's on oculus store and psvr too

Although obviously if you have your two forward sensors on the desk it would get blocked if you bend over or whatever.

The question I suppose I have is how often you "need" to turn around in most vive games?

Is there a tag on steam for if you need 360 or 180 to play a specific game (obv a lot of stuff like fantastic contrapion have forward facing modes)

It does for me, when I try to run a game using steamvr steam already has most thing set up for me. The only thing I have to adjust is the play space.

Yeah, pretty much. You'll have to go into Oculus options and enable third-party apps before using SteamVR. Both SteamVR and Oculus let you trace your play area for roomscale, so if you already did that in Oculus (during Touch setup) you could configure SteamVR to just be "standing area" and not deal with an extra representation of your physical space.

The SteamVR config process might be different these days, though. Been a while since I set it up.

I see, thanks for the information. After setting up in Oculus to get free games, I'll probably set it up again on SteamVR

Tain

webrunner said:
Well when I talk about roomscale, you can walk around in like, with a forward facing setup but it loses hand tracking if you turn around.

I can imagine this would cause a problem in 'walk around the thing' games like fantastic contraption but it looks like that's on oculus store and psvr too

Although obviously if you have your two forward sensors on the desk it would get blocked if you bend over or whatever.

The question I suppose I have is how often you "need" to turn around in most vive games?

Is there a tag on steam for if you need 360 or 180 to play a specific game (obv a lot of stuff like fantastic contrapion have forward facing modes)

I wish I could give you a better guideline, but it really is a game-specific thing. Holopoint, for example, is an early Vive release built assuming the player has a 360 setup, and requires a TON of rotation. It's marked as supporting Oculus on Steam, though digging into the game's discussion forum you'll see that the only pinned thread is one pointing out that it only really works with a 360 setup. On the other hand, it's been a while since I've tried a new VR game that didn't have rotation options for Touch users.

Unfortunately there's no official designation on Steam for games that support (or happen to work fine with) forward-facing. It would make sense to have one.

On the far right on steam under VR support-Play Area on the storepage of the game are labels for what kind of VR is supported "Standing" "Roomscale" etc. It doesn't really tell you much if you have to turn around much in VR though, Stuff like Audioshield is labled with both and you never need to turn around in that game.

teiresias

8x8 of walkable space, or 8x8 of above waist space? 8x8 is enough for many things and simply standing in place can be great (although also something oculus can do with touch)

Not sure what you mean by "above waist space". I said 8x8 because the center of the room is open, but against the walls are desks, book shelves, credenzas, etc. At the very least I could buy the sensors for the Rift later if I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom