• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imur

Nice one, I have to plug it into the HDMI Port. But I only have one port and this one is connected to my TV (I don't have a Monitor). Now I can't see anything on my Rift, or my TV.

Are there any usb hubs that work for this thing? I have enough USB 3 ports to make this work, but if the sensors or whatnot can work with a hub that'd be ideal so I'm not fishing for USBs on the back of my PC

Blam

So you need to activate the Rift on a new account before the sale ends? What if you order on the last day of the sale and don't receive it until afterwards?

Doesn't matter those are just a part of buying a rift, and the touch controllers. When the Rift was the only thing you could get it had 2 games it gave you, and then the touch controllers gave you the other 5.

It's not the sale that gives you it. It's the actual hardware. Doesn't matter if it's a old Oculus Store account or new one.

Are there any usb hubs that work for this thing? I have enough USB 3 ports to make this work, but if the sensors or whatnot can work with a hub that'd be ideal so I'm not fishing for USBs on the back of my PC

Unless you got a USB-C port it's better if you do it through just plugging in.

Zalusithix

Stuff like Audioshield is labled with both and you never need to turn around in that game.
Heck, you don't even move around in Audioshield. I'm not sure why the devs flagged it as roomscale. It's 100% standing and forward facing. Then you have a similar game like Airtone claiming seated support. Now that might be technically possible, but the game is rather obviously designed with standing in mind. It also claims roomscale which is useless in the actual game, but can be used in the "lobby" environment.

So yeah, I honestly wouldn't put much faith in what those things say. The only thing I'd really pay attention to is if the game says it needs a minimum play space. Generally that's an indicator that they expect you to have not just space, but 360 tracking. That said, refunds are easy on Steam these days, so there's nothing stopping you from trying any particular game.

Not sure what you mean by "above waist space". I said 8x8 because the center of the room is open, but against the walls are desks, book shelves, credenzas, etc. At the very least I could buy the sensors for the Rift later if I wanted.

How much of the 8x8 is clear from the floor to the ceiling, and able to be walked through? 100%?

datamage

Yeah, pretty much. You'll have to go into Oculus options and enable third-party apps before using SteamVR. Both SteamVR and Oculus let you trace your play area for roomscale, so if you already did that in Oculus (during Touch setup) you could configure SteamVR to just be "standing area" and not deal with an extra representation of your physical space.

The SteamVR config process might be different these days, though. Been a while since I set it up.

Wouldn't this be an issue for the Steam games that utilize the play area data to generate your space?

jrcbandit

I only have a 6 x 5 ft play area, not much for room scale, but I still want a 3rd sensor so I can reach behind me still.

A word of warning for people getting the Rift: You might not have compatible USB ports. I'm not sure about the latest motherboards, but older ones like Z97, X99, etc come with incompatible USB ports using Etron or Asmedia USB controllers. You have to only use the Intel USB ports on those motherboards, which typically either come with 2 or 4 Intel 3.0 ports in the rear.

If you dont have enough USB 3.0 ports, you can get an USB PCI-E card recommended by Oculus:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: This is the 4 port version that is slightly cheaper and directly recommended on the Oculus support page.
I'm going to try the 4 Intel USB 3.0 ports included on my motherboard first and see how that goes.

Tain

Wouldn't this be an issue for the Steam games that utilize the play area data to generate your space?

Ah yeah, that's true. In those cases you'd want to set up your room in SteamVR and turn off the Oculus guardian system then, I guess. And if you're using SteamVR all the time that might as well be the way to go for everything.

webrunner

Assuming you have a display port, just get a female HDMI to male display port adapter.

HDMI to Display Port adapters

Note that I had an issue where I couldn't see anything from the rift using a displayport adapter.

I have a video card with three DP and one HDMI port, I was using the HDMI port for my monitor, but I swapped it over to a DP adapter for the oculus as the oculus wouldn't display anything with the displayport.

datamage

Ah yeah, that's true. In those cases you'd want to set up your room in SteamVR and turn off the Oculus guardian system then, I guess. And if you're using SteamVR all the time that might as well be the way to go for everything.

I actually did it the other way around. I still setup my play area for Steam, but then I use the Guardian system, since it will still show while in SteamVR. (Where as Steam's chaperone system won't show if you're in an Oculus app.)

I don't mean to sound rude, but why not just google it? You'll find your answer instantly. 19.99 on steam store(and elsewhere).

At work, on cellular, and Neogaf is much easier on time/loading than Google and subsequent links :p plus I wasn't sure if different stores had different prices, and the users are much quicker to answer.

Thank you btw :)

Blam

At work, on cellular, and Neogaf is much easier on time/loading than Google and subsequent links :p plus I wasn't sure if different stores had different prices, and the users are much quicker to answer.

Thank you btw :)

Not trying to bash but it took him 5 minutes to reply. Surely your cellular is fast enough to do one search.

low-G

Nice one, I have to plug it into the HDMI Port. But I only have one port and this one is connected to my TV (I don't have a Monitor). Now I can't see anything on my Rift, or my TV.

Like the other poster said, get a display port adapter. I use that for my HDTV hookup (but I do have a monitor as well), and leave the HDMI for the Rift.

kinggroin

Banned
If I didn't have a moral opposition with purchasing an Oculus product, I would be so in. I think Vive is generally regarded as the better PC VR HMD regardless, no?

Generally so, sort of. It is no question the much more flexible headset (upgrade paths). But to many, not worth nearly double the asking price.

Gnub

I expected more hardcore mech games at this point. Little disappointed.

Im interrested in seeing hardware numbers before and after this sale as well as the month to month just before the sale. Also I wonder what Black Friday sales will be like for VR equipment. If its this good now, it has to be better in November.

I still find it strange that HTC hasn't answered the drop yet. With both headsets being pretty equal in terms of end-customer adoption... I can see this big summer sale allowing Oculus to really pull ahead of not countered.

jrcbandit

I still find it strange that HTC hasn't answered the drop yet. With both headsets being pretty equal in terms of end-customer adoption... I can see this big summer sale allowing Oculus to really pull ahead of not countered.

HTC had a large lead over Oculus actually (I think double?) and PSVR at the top of course. After the summer sale, the final numbers will be interesting.

rtcn63

HTC is bleeding money last I checked. They're trying to make as much money of the Vive hardware as they can.

Plus Oculus has the backing of Facebook, so they can go full-on console and sell the hardware at a loss to gain marketshare and try to recoup via software sales.

low-G

I think it makes a lot of sense for them to wait and see, at least a month, how much this affects sales across the board.

Just wanted to double check...

The HP 980ti deal that has been discussed extensively on Neogaf is 100% VR ready right? Like, I have all the required USB ports and stuff?

Also, I live in a "studio" apartment, but it's basically two rooms. My PC is in a very small room that connects to my living room. The center of my living room is the only place I could really use VR. Would it cause a lot of issues if I'd be standing and using the VR like 8 feet away from my PC?

Bookoo

HTC had a large lead over Oculus actually (I think double?) and PSVR at the top of course. After the summer sale, the final numbers will be interesting.

HTC has a sales lead over Oculus, but many of the units are for Asian arcade units. In terms of playerbase they are apparently pretty close according to a Hover Junkers dev.

rtcn63

The HP 980ti deal that has been discussed extensively on Neogaf is 100% VR ready right? Like, I have all the required USB ports and stuff?

Also, I live in a "studio" apartment, but it's basically two rooms. My PC is in a very small room that connects to my living room. The center of my living room is the only place I could really use VR. Would it cause a lot of issues if I'd be standing and using the VR like 8 feet away from my PC?

HP Envy? People have been reporting that the PSU that comes with it buckles under gaming load with a 980ti. Not sure about the USB ports, but if it has an empty PCI slot you can add a card. (Although once again, I wouldn't trust the PSU to power it correctly)

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
HTC has a sales lead over Oculus, but many of the units are for Asian arcade units. In terms of playerbase they are apparently pretty close according to a Hover Junkers dev.

This can explain why some titles have a larger userbase on the rift as opposed to the vive despite being released for both and in some cases first on the vive.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

What deal is this?

Bookoo

This can explain why some titles have a larger userbase on the rift as opposed to the vive despite being released for both and in some cases first on the vive.

Yea, here is the quote from the dev. I am not sure how much insight he truly has into numbers, but figured he may have better information than most.

Vive is moving more units than the Rift however a bunch of the sales are Asian arcade units. So from the developer standpoint on Steam/Oculus Home the effective number of users are closer than the raw sales indicate.
You're 100% right that Rift vs Vive doesn't matter. VR w/tracked controllers simply needs more total sales to justify higher content production budgets.

HP Envy? People have been reporting that the PSU that comes with it buckles under gaming load with a 980ti. Not sure about the USB ports, but if it has an empty PCI slot you can add a card. (Although once again, I wouldn't trust the PSU to power it correctly)
Thanks. I've had mine for over a year and it has actually done really well under heavy gaming load so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones? I'll have to check out if it has a PCI slot, I'm still a PC noob.

What deal is this?

HP Envy 980ti deal, for a while it would happen every month or so. Here's the thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1198580

DrBo42

Anyone wearing the typical big Raybans with the Rift? Not sure my glasses will fit with this thing, kind of a deal breaker if they don't. I don't wear contacts and I'm blind as a bat.

Bookoo

Anyone wearing the typical big Raybans with the Rift? Not sure my glasses will fit with this thing, kind of a deal breaker if they don't. I don't wear contacts and I'm blind as a bat.

I doubt they will fit. My glasses aren't as tall as raybans, but are probably as wide and it's not comfortable with them on.

I normally just wear contact lenses, but I did just buy some cheap ones off Zenni that I heard fit.

Leeroy605

Rift arrived today and set it up this evening, my god it's better than I was expecting, and I've only done the first contact tutorial!

Coming from Gear VR this is a massive step up.

Only issue is my 1080ti only has one HDMI which is currently being used by my TV. Bypassed this for now by plugging the TV into the integrated GPU port on the motherboard but Google Earth VR won't start and steam VR won't set up at all.

Any work arounds for this or have I got to wait for my display port adaptor to arrive?

kinggroin

Banned
I just set mine up with a 970 and did First Contact. Note, I've never done any VR except for Cardboard. And it was a bit of a life altering experience.

Can't wait to show my 10 and 8 year olds when they get home. Anything I should absolutely have for some youngsters?

Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption

Bookoo

I just set mine up with a 970 and did First Contact. Note, I've never done any VR except for Cardboard. And it was a bit of a life altering experience.

Can't wait to show my 10 and 8 year olds when they get home. Anything I should absolutely have for some youngsters?

My nephews (also 10 and 8) were in town and I showed it off to them. They liked Robo Recall, Superhot, and The Climb.

Robot Recall was a little tough because they couldn't grasp the teleport and rotate function so most of the time they were playing there were big words on the screen telling them to turn around. Didn't seem to phase them at all.

Rift arrived today and set it up this evening, my god it's better than I was expecting, and I've only done the first contact tutorial!

Coming from Gear VR this is a massive step up.

Only issue is my 1080ti only has one HDMI which is currently being used by my TV. Bypassed this for now by plugging the TV into the integrated GPU port on the motherboard but Google Earth VR won't start and steam VR won't set up at all.

Any work arounds for this or have I got to wait for my display port adaptor to arrive?

I have my headset hdmi plugged into this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZMVGTA2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Works perfectly.

edit: didn't read the last line, haha. I have heard that display ports don't always work though, so this is a safe bet.

Unrelated: I got my buddy in on the amazon deal action with the gift card. He is soooo pumped, he played Robot Recall and SUPERHOT all night when he came over a few weeks ago.

Missing the $100 Amazon card deal is a bummer.

Curse me for needing sleep!

I think I might go for it but can't decide where.

• Amazon doesn't ship for up to 2 weeks and has sales tax but I'd get free 2 day Prime Shipping once it does ship.
  • BestBuy will ship right away with free 2 day shipping and has a free game but has sales tax and I've had issues with ordering from BestBuy online before.
  • Newegg has no sales tax but is back ordered for who knows how long plus 3 day shipping is $6.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom