• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Thanks. I've had mine for over a year and it has actually done really well under heavy gaming load so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones? I'll have to check out if it has a PCI slot, I'm still a PC noob.

If you do get a USB 3.0 card and the mobo supports it, make sure the PSU has the extra cable needed to power it.

I actually have an Inateck card in my tower.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm just glad these sales can put a dent into the bullshit disingenuous arguments about VR being gimmicky or not having games or gen 1 being meh. It really is cost for most people.

Zalusithix

I have my headset hdmi plugged into this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZMVGTA2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Works perfectly.

edit: didn't read the last line, haha. I have heard that display ports don't always work though, so this is a safe bet.

Unrelated: I got my buddy in on the amazon deal action with the gift card. He is soooo pumped, he played Robot Recall and SUPERHOT all night when he came over a few weeks ago.

If his card had a DVI port, it should have come with one of those adapters. Key word: if. Not all 1080s have a DVI port to begin with. As for the Displayport adapters not working, that only applies to the Rift. The TV should work fine with one.

Edit:
I'm just glad these sales can put a dent into the bullshit disingenuous arguments about VR being gimmicky or not having games or gen 1 being meh. It really is cost for most people.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. =P Many haven't got their headsets yet, and only time will tell if they consistently use them after the fact. I'm obviously a huge proponent of VR, but I think it still requires an early adopter mindset. If people go in expecting something like modern console levels of refinement, they're going to come out disappointed regardless of how great the deal was.

rtcn63

Well, with a bigger gaming audience, it can help mitigate the lack of quality games from here on. Bigger budgets and more risks. Although that's not a certainty. And there are seemingly still a lot issues to iron out (if possible) like locomotion, etc.

Well, my USB 3.0 ports are incompatible with the sensors for whatever reason.

However, I plugged them both into USB 2.0, and they work just fine? I don't see the need to buy a USB 3.0 expansion honestly.

datamage

However, I plugged them both into USB 2.0, and they work just fine? I don't see the need to buy a USB 3.0 expansion honestly.

Yeah, on my previous motherboard, the Rift was finicky with my USB 3.0 ports. I've since then upgraded, and to be honest, I haven't noticed much difference between tracking when using USB 3.0 vs 2.0.

LaneDS

Was that Amazon deal a Prime Day thing? Wonder if we'll be lucky enough to see it materialize again over the period this bundle is on sale. Would have 100% pulled the trigger at $399 + $100 GC.

low-G

Another thing to try if you care to do so: try different USB hubs on your mobo, if you use USB 3.0, any one hub can handle 1 sensor and the headset comfortably. So if you have 2 or more hubs, split up the sensor USB among them.

Example: I use a 3.0 and 3.1 port on my mobo cuz the 3.1 is handled by a different hub.

Probably doesn't matter if you use 2.0 though.

UrbanRats

As i understand it, Cameras through the 2.0 port, send a lower quality signal, and therefore less data for tracking (resulting in less accuracy).
Don't know how it translate in practical terms though.

rtcn63

Not sure about VR, but an issue with early USB 3.0 implementation is that it had problems with things like disconnects during use. I.e. while transferring data with external hard drives. I have both a powered USB hub and an Inateck card, and I've been able to successfully use them with externals, while my mobo ports randomly disconnect no matter what I try, and that includes playing with power management settings.

(I have the powered hub plugged into a mobo port, that AC adapter works wonders)

I only have a 6 x 5 ft play area, not much for room scale, but I still want a 3rd sensor so I can reach behind me still.

A word of warning for people getting the Rift: You might not have compatible USB ports. I'm not sure about the latest motherboards, but older ones like Z97, X99, etc come with incompatible USB ports using Etron or Asmedia USB controllers. You have to only use the Intel USB ports on those motherboards, which typically either come with 2 or 4 Intel 3.0 ports in the rear.

If you dont have enough USB 3.0 ports, you can get an USB PCI-E card recommended by Oculus:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPIMICA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Lol, the price on both versions have gone up by $3 in the last day or so, I guess it is all the new people getting Rifts. I'm going to try the 4 Intel USB 3.0 ports included on my motherboard first and see how that goes.
Ruh roh. I have the Z97 WiFi mitx mobo... So I'm screwed? I have a Gtx 1080 in there, so is that going to be a problem with installing a USB 3 card? Or is the PCIe still available?

VICI0US

well.. doesn't look like that amazon deal is coming back in stock. best buy it is then. ordered the bundle for in store pickup, just waiting on the e-mail that it's ready to go.

I was going to wait for gen 2 but that price and all the included software is hard to turn down.

jrcbandit

Ruh roh. I have the Z97 WiFi mitx mobo... So I'm screwed? I have a Gtx 1080 in there, so is that going to be a problem with installing a USB 3 card? Or is the PCIe still available?

With a Z97 motherboard, determine which of the USB ports are Intel. You could try temporarily disabling the other USB hubs in Windows Device Manager to figure out which ones are Intel (be sure to re-enable once you figure it out lol). Then only plug in the Oculus stuff to the Intel USB ports. For your Mini-ITX motherboard, just check to see if the extra PCI EXpress slots are all blocked by your GPU cooler or not. At first I was going to say no problem, but sometimes the layouts on mini-ITX make every PCI-Express slot blocked when you install a video card with a 2 or 3 slot equivalent cooler ;p.

Slightly cheaper USB card, also recommended by Oculus, if you only want to use one more USB 3.0 (single hub): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6ZCNGM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I bought this one and it works well...

I think that is the better one to buy anyway. I later read that some people had some issues with the 5 and 7 port versions. I edited my original post to this one.

Imur

Nice one, I have to plug it into the HDMI Port. But I only have one port and this one is connected to my TV (I don't have a Monitor). Now I can't see anything on my Rift, or my TV.

I will buy an Adapter, thank you all. Problem was that I couldn't test it, but I temporary solved the Problem. I stream the Picture via Steam Link and use the HDMI Port for Oculus. I absolutely love it. Never thought it would be THAT real.

Bought last night, picked up from Best Buy this morning. I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it since I had to leave for work, but I can't wait to really jump in later and try it out!

Zalusithix

At first I was going to say no problem, but sometimes the layouts on mini-ITX make every PCI-Express slot blocked when you install a video card with a 2 or 3 slot equivalent cooler ;p.

What mini-ITX motherboards have you been looking at that even have more than one PCIe slot to begin with?

With a Z97 motherboard, determine which of the USB ports are Intel. You could try temporarily disabling the other USB hubs in Windows Device Manager to figure out which ones are Intel (be sure to re-enable once you figure it out lol). Then only plug in the Oculus stuff to the Intel USB ports. For your Mini-ITX motherboard, just check to see if the extra PCI EXpress slots are all blocked by your GPU cooler or not. At first I was going to say no problem, but sometimes the layouts on mini-ITX make every PCI-Express slot blocked when you install a video card with a 2 or 3 slot equivalent cooler ;p.

I think that is the better one to buy anyway. I later read that some people had some issues with the 5 and 7 port versions. I edited my original post to this one.
Yeah, they're blocked for sure lol. Big ass cooler and huge video card leaves no room. Thanks for the advice.
I guess I'll just trial and error my way through it when my Rift arrives. I really don't want to have to get a new mobo lol

rtcn63

Don't you hate it when a mobo has like five pci slots but the case has six and your CPU cooler and Asus Strix eat four of them

ElfArmy177

Alright gaf. I purchased yesterday and got it today. I played the thing with the robot who hands you cassettes. I was blown away like I was at Disney world. You win

Darn do I wish I had the money for this right now...
And by the time I do have the money for it, the deal will be over :(

Do a Newegg/Oculus.com purchase with PayPal Credit, zero financing for 6 months.

Also has anyone tried BREACH IT and Pavlov? Says only Vive is supported but I'm thinking with a third sensor, why shouldn't it support Oculus room scale too?

Coolade

Have you tried it sitting? The Oculus page says you can play it seated.

You can. You'll just have to be pro active with teleporting to check your blind spots. I played with two sensors in front of me but I'm buying a 3rd to place behind me for extra precision. You don't need a large space you can tell oculus what you have available and it will work with it.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Do a Newegg/Oculus.com purchase with PayPal Credit, zero financing for 6 months.

Also has anyone tried BREACH IT and Pavlov? Says only Vive is supported but I'm thinking with a third sensor, why shouldn't it support Oculus room scale too?

I have 4 sensors and Pavlov works fine with it. I haven't tried Breach it.

They won't approve me.

Even before I filed for bankruptcy in January they wouldn't approve me.
Having recently filed for bankruptcy, though, only secured cards with application fees will even touch me.

Damn, that sucks. Hope you can find a way to get one. If not, by the time this is over, Black Friday will be around the corner along with Holiday sales.

I have 4 sensors and Pavlov works fine with it. I haven't tried Breach it.

Awesome. Thank you. Try Breach It if you get the chance, I've heard good things (Rainbow Six Siege in VR)

Damn, that sucks. Hope you can find a way to get one. If not, by the time this is over, Black Friday will be around the corner along with Holiday sales.

Just checked, and PayPal's credit cards are issued by a company which held two of the credit cards I had dismissed in bankruptcy.
So, yeah, they're not touching me with a 10-foot pole.

As you said, hopefully there will be some decent deals for Black Friday, and I'll have the money by then.

Out of curiosity, how do the free games work? Does Oculus Home detect the new hardware and unlock those games or is it a code included in the box?

Just checked, and PayPal's credit cards are issued by a company which held two of the credit cards I had dismissed in bankruptcy.
So, yeah, they're not touching me with a 10-foot pole.

As you said, hopefully there will be some decent deals for Black Friday, and I'll have the money by then.

Who knows, maybe the LG headset with the PSVResque design will be released at a price point no one expects. Fortunately, the longer you wait, the better VR will be.

SomTervo

I don't see how. Touch controllers are superior to the Vive's wand. The headset itself is generally regarded as being slightly better. And, the Oculus works on both Steam VR and Oculus store whereas the Vive only has Steam.

The only advantage the Vive has over the Rift is that the lighthouse tracking is superior. However, springing for a third sensor ($60) will get you room scale just like the Vive.

Incorrect. It's incredible easy to get Oculus Store working with Steam and all the games work pretty much out of the box with the Vive.

Valve have even provided Steam updates making the ReVive support better (ReVive is the Oculus wrapper).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom