• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so ill be on my way here soon to sell some stuff off craigslist and going to stop by bestbuy to pick one of these up.

I have a couple questions if anyone could answer them for me, i have googled.

Currently my PC is pretty old fx 6300 with 7950, too old to plav vr games anyway. Is there anything i can play/do with the rift with this PC?

Secondly I am going to order up a new PC (I've build all my previous PCs, I want it prebuilt), looking to get a ryzen with either a rx480/580 or a gtx 1060. Does anyone have any idea what card performs better with the rift? I can get a i5-6402 with an rx-480 for like $400 or I can jump to a ryzen with a 580 for about $700...decisions decisions...

low-G

Yes but mine is hella glitchy for some reason (only with this game)

I have no problems with it, but it doesn't like Oculus ASW, so if your GPU is not up to snuff it'll likely flake out a lot. But there is a way to disable that (which I am unfamiliar with). Just a heads up, it can definitely work.

Help link.

CuckFupertino said:
And, the Oculus works on both Steam VR and Oculus store whereas the Vive only has Steam.
Incorrect. It's incredible easy to get Oculus Store working with Steam and all the games work pretty much out of the box with the Vive.

Valve have even provided Steam updates making the ReVive support better (ReVive is the Oculus wrapper).

That's overstating it a bit. Not all games work with ReVive, not all are playable, many you can't run from Oculus Home so have to find the actual executable and manually run it. Minecraft is an example of a Rift game that just crashes with ReVive. And the controls aren't quite the same, and while there's workarounds for them, it's definitely not the ideal way to play the games.

How long did it took to make the order from the Oculus page to arrive into your home?

When you do the checkout it gives you options?

Amazon is shipping after two weeks :/

Chumley

Banned
How long did it took to make the order from the Oculus page to arrive into your home?

When you do the checkout it gives you options?

Amazon is shipping after two weeks :/

I'm not getting mine till next week and the touch controllers 5 days later.

For $300 though, I don't care.

jrcbandit

Slightly cheaper USB card, also recommended by Oculus, if you only want to use one more USB 3.0 (single hub): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6ZCNGM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I bought this one and it works well...

Do you have two sensors hooked up to it? I read that you should never hook up all 3 sensors to this card if you are going for roomscale. So it would be best to use an Intel motherboard USB 3.0 port or a 2nd card for the 3rd sensor.

MUnited83

For you.
That's overstating it a bit. Not all games work with ReVive, not all are playable, many you can't run from Oculus Home so have to find the actual executable and manually run it. Minecraft is an example of a Rift game that just crashes with ReVive. And the controls aren't quite the same, and while there's workarounds for them, it's definitely not the ideal way to play the games.
That sounds like a argument for against Oculus than Vive. Why would someone support such a crappy closed down API?

Izuna

Banned
Holy shit, the new Oculus is far better than the one I got from CeX :eek:

anyway, going to be returning the used one tomorrow. They better take it considering the sensor is broken.

ElfArmy177

Well that sucks. I don't get the free games. Apparently my friends year old account was on my pc when I installed the rift so when it first booted up it booted into his account. I made a new account and I bet the free games went to his account. Oh well...

No extra money to buy games, collect dust for now I guess lol

"That's overstating it a bit. Not all games work with ReVive, not all are playable, many you can't run from Oculus Home so have to find the actual executable and manually run it. Minecraft is an example of a Rift game that just crashes with ReVive. And the controls aren't quite the same, and while there's workarounds for them, it's definitely not the ideal way to play the games."

This is overstating the overstatement. The number of games that don't work or have issues are dramatically fewer than those that don't. And Minecraft is a poor example, because Vivecraft exists.

Izuna

Banned
Well that sucks. I don't get the free games. Apparently my friends year old account was on my pc when I installed the rift so when it first booted up it booted into his account. I made a new account and I bet the free games went to his account. Oh well...

No extra money to buy games, collect dust for now I guess lol

That's awful. Just send a support ticket to Oculus. They will sort you out.

Or if you want, I just got a new set. You can change your password, I can redeem the free games for you, then you can change it back.

SomTervo

What Teknop said. I've played every Oculus exclusive and a bunch of other Oculus Store games and have had perhaps one minor issue. Maybe others have more serious issues but it can't be the majority or we'd hear about it.

And Vivecraft is absolutely the superior VR edition of Minecraft. It's insane how good it is.

The only "overstatement" could be how easy ReVive is to set up (it's easy but a minor faff) but I didn't claim it was super easy.

low-G

Do you have two sensors hooked up to it? I read that you should never hook up all 3 sensors to this card if you are going for roomscale. So it would be best to use an Intel motherboard USB 3.0 port or a 2nd card for the 3rd sensor.

I have 1 sensor in this, 1 in my USB 3.1 hub, 1 in my USB 3.0 hub

So I made a mistake of installing the touch controllers with the additional sensor. I was planning only using for a sit down experience with an xbox controller as I only have the room to do so. With the additional sensor it messes up everything . Do i need to uninstall and reinstall to revert back to only using one sensor and no touch controllers?

theRizzle

I wish I had picked up some games when they were on sale now... Other than Robo Recall, how worth playing are the rest of the games that come with the set?

If I buy the Touch alone do I still get Robo Recall for free?

I am pretty sure, yes

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I have my headset hdmi plugged into this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZMVGTA2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Works perfectly.

edit: didn't read the last line, haha. I have heard that display ports don't always work though, so this is a safe bet.

Unrelated: I got my buddy in on the amazon deal action with the gift card. He is soooo pumped, he played Robot Recall and SUPERHOT all night when he came over a few weeks ago.

Indeed. SUPERHOT and Robo Recall are great even for those who has been using VR for months. I have a great time in SUPERHOT

I wish I had picked up some games when they were on sale now... Other than Robo Recall, how worth playing are the rest of the games that come with the set?

I am pretty sure, yes

Echo Arena is rather great, and The Unspoken seems good. Its from Insomniac

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Do most people here have Amazon Prime or Best Buy rewards because i hardly see anyone mentioning ordering this directly from Oculus?

Because people prefer the easy return/exchange policy with Amazon (and earlier there was a $100 gc that knocked the price down to $300) and Best Buy includes Eve Valkyrie along with the other free titles.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
So I made a mistake of installing the touch controllers with the additional sensor. I was planning only using for a sit down experience with an xbox controller as I only have the room to do so. With the additional sensor it messes up everything . Do i need to uninstall and reinstall to revert back to only using one sensor and no touch controllers?

Hmm...it shouldn't mess anything up. I have 4 sensors with touch and I switch between seated/standing and can use touch/xbox controller without problems. What exactly is getting messed up?

Lebneney

Banned
Okay, so I've been on the fence for a while about jumping into VR. This deal seems wonderful, but I know I won't be able to use them for about 10ish weeks after getting them. Should I just wait for another sale like this in the future or should I just get them now?

Thanks for the help in advance GAF!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Do most people here have Amazon Prime or Best Buy rewards because i hardly see anyone mentioning ordering this directly from Oculus?

its worth it to spend $11 for a month of prime just for that $100 gift card when you do the maths.

Pingoreous

I own OR and played around with PSVR on several occasions. ORs IQ/Display is superior to PSVR, it's not even a competition. It's still not perfect though and the 'grid' is still visible. On the downside OR is incredibly uncomfortable for people with glasses, so keep that in mind before buying.

Dude thanks for saving me, i forgot that the glasses thing was one of the main reasons i returned it the first time i bought it. I almost purchased it again. SuperHot is out next week on PSVR at least. Great deal thought, enjoy.

fixuis

So tempted to get this, can someone recommend a good laptop or desktop in a mini form factor that can run the games rock solid ? Thanks!

Izuna

Banned
Dude thanks for saving me, i forgot that the glasses thing was one of the main reasons i returned it the first time i bought it. I almost purchased it again. SuperHot is out next week on PSVR at least. Great deal thought, enjoy.

just buy cheap thin frames and you'll have no issues

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm nearsighted (I can see things close up but they get blurry with distance) - can I comfortably use the rift without glasses?

I used google cardboard without any issues.

I'm nearsighted (I can see things close up but they get blurry with distance) - can I comfortably use the rift without glasses?

I think you should be fine. If anything if you see blurry in the distance anyway the Rift may look even more real haha.

Wallach

If things are blurry at like 6ft normally then everything will be blurry in the Rift (regardless of how "close" you are to it virtually).

Small frames, contacts, or something like VR Lens Lab lenses recommended.

if I beat bloodborne and crash trilogy then I could return the PS4 I got recently to Amazon with no regrets and get my money back, then pick up the rift bundle with free 2 day shipping from Best Buy...

I WANT VIRTUAL REALITY SO BADLY AGH

Chumley

Banned

Perfect, thanks.

Anyone have any input on both of these. I've been meaning to get prescription lenses for my Rift, but not sure which company to go with. The Oculus reddit had a few recommendations for widmoVR.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/
https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/

I'm also looking for the cheapest possible lens solution like this. Don't really want to have to wear my glasses.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
i'm only seeing 500

just pick the option with no gift card

WTuwPwq.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom