• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJPIA

Well the Rift page says:
Bundle Details

List Price
Oculus Rift - Virtual Reality Headset $499.00 $499.00
Amazon.com $100 Gift Card in a Greeting... $100.00 $100.00
Oculus Touch $99.00 $99.99
Total Bought Separately: $689.98
Bundle Price: $399.00
Bundle Savings: $290.98
But in cart its $522.94 with tax and its not dropping to $400 for me.
Wonder if CS would adjust the price down if it doesn't change?

(E) Wait its shown up now

Lum1n3s

Well the Rift page says:

But in cart its $522.94 with tax and its not dropping to $400 for me.
Wonder if CS would adjust the price down if it doesn't change?

Look up Oculus Rift in search bar, click on the regular Oculus Rift then switch it to the $100 Amazon Gift Card one. Add to cart and voila it should work, just worked for me and got it for $400.

MJPIA

Look up Oculus Rift in search bar, click on the regular Oculus Rift then switch it to the $100 Amazon Gift Card one. Add to cart and voila it should work, just worked for me and got it for $400.

Yup got it.
Of course my computer is currently running on a 300w power supply and a 750ti graphics card so I need to think about this now and see how much a computer upgrade is gonna cost me.

Lum1n3s

Yup got it.
Of course my computer is currently running on a 300w power supply and a 750ti graphics card so I need to think about this now and see how much a computer upgrade is gonna cost me.

Am I going to be able to run this on a 650w computer with a 1080ti?

Weevilone

Ok got it for the deal with gift card.

I'll prob be selling it after I figure out I still get motion sick. Worth a try at this price.

Matthew23

I missed out on the amazon deal earlier today and figured I just wait for Vive to have a sale. Now that the damn amazon deal is back up I have caved and have a rift on the way. $300 for OR is just too good to pass up.

Ugh now that I got one I feel like I need to sleep on the decision. I hope Amazon doesn't pull a fast one and ship the GC out tomorrow even though the headset doesn't come until the end of the month. I'm worried I don't have the space for room-scale and even if I can manage, I'll have to throw the sensors and wires all over my bedroom. Also, the glasses thing has me worried since I need glasses for distance.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Ugh now that I got one I feel like I need to sleep on the decision. I hope Amazon doesn't pull a fast one and ship the GC out tomorrow even though the headset doesn't come until the end of the month. I'm worried I don't have the space for room-scale and even if I can manage, I'll have to throw the sensors and wires all over my bedroom. Also, the glasses thing has me worried since I need glasses for distance.

I tried to cancel just now for the heck of it and you can't. get an error

Soi-Fong

Just bought one for a co-worker who wanted to get another set for his son and will just pay me back. Seems like you're limited to one set per customer.

kungfuian

Any Vive owners who are also picking this up?

I currently own a Vive and PSVR. For multi VR system owners, is this worth getting? I'm very tempted by the price, very very tempted, but wondering if it's just redundant as a Vive owner?

For reference I have not tried Re-vive yet. Is it easy to use or a pain in the ass? Also is the head set different/better than Vive in anyways that are tangible enough to warrant the additional purchase?

I currently own a Vive and PSVR. For multi VR system owners, is this worth getting? I'm very tempted by the price, very very tempted, but wondering if it's just redundant as a Vive owner?

For reference I have not tried Re-vive yet. Is it easy to use or a pain in the ass? Also is the head set different/better than Vive in anyways that are tangible enough to warrant the additional purchase?

I'd also like to hear what people think. I was always holding out for the Vive because of the tracking. But my God I just couldn't pass this up.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Silly question, can I get an enjoyable experience with just enough space at my desk area? Or do you need like a 3x3 feet room to enjoy this

Soi-Fong

Silly question, can I get an enjoyable experience with just enough space at my desk area? Or do you need like a 3x3 feet room to enjoy this

Yup. Definitely. Oculus went under the assumption that not everyone will have room for roomscale so a lot of the official Oculus games as well 3rd party ones that that into account.

Stuff like the Climb, Star Trek and Wilson's Heart is still really enjoyable even just being in front of your desk.

Darknight

Had it in my cart but didnt pull the trigger. I invested enough on PSVR to go out and get the rift.

Sorta feel I may a bad call as PSVR while decent cant be a pain in the ass with its shitty tracking and controllers.

Gonna wait for 2.0 models and stay away from Sony's stuff if they dont improve hardware significantly.

Soi-Fong

Had it in my cart but didnt pull the trigger. I invested enough on PSVR to go out and get the rift.

Sorta feel I may a bad call as PSVR while decent cant be a pain in the ass with its shitty tracking and controllers.

Gonna wait for 2.0 models and stay away from Sony's stuff if they dont improve hardware significantly.

I'm expecting Sony to improve their hardware as well, but with PC being as it is I think VR on the top-end will always remain on PC.

I gotta stop early adopting too, but damn, I'm attending Oculus Connect 4 this October and I know, I'll pre-order any new hardware, if any they reveal. lol

Lebneney

Banned
Pretty much. I have to stop adopting everything so early.

The two things that I have never regretted adopting early are the PS Vita and the Switch (though maybe still too early to tell). Though for everything else, I let time be the decider.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

It can be redundant in some ways but also better in others. The controllers alone will feel different but better in many ways.

Both headsets have their pros and cons. The Vive offers a slightly larger vertical FOV and less noticable godays. It also has a bit more space for people with glasses. The rift headset comes with built-in headphones which may not seem like a big deal but anyone that uses VR a lot knows what a godsend that is. The rift also has a bit more clarity by sacrificing a bit of that FOV. That may not seem like much but for sims like elite dangerous which has a lot of text it makes a huge difference. I don't know if any of these things warrant the purchase but I see plenty of people with both.

kungfuian

It can be redundant in some ways but also better in others. The controllers alone will feel different but better in many ways.

Both headsets have their pros and cons. The Vive offers a slightly larger vertical FOV and less noticable godays. It also has a bit more space for people with glasses. The rift headset comes with built-in headphones which may not seem like a big deal but anyone that uses VR a lot knows what a godsend that is. The rift also has a bit more clarity by sacrificing a bit of that FOV. That may not seem like much but for sims like elite dangerous which has a lot of text it makes a huge difference. I don't know if any of these things warrant the purchase but I see plenty of people with both.

Thanks for the feedback!

Stiler

I am so glad I checked this thread in time to get one. I missed out on the deal yesterday cause I thought I had hours to decide and it sold out fast. Did NOT take that chance again lol.

So, now to figure out how to set it all up. My computer is on another room and have it wired through a little hole into this one (since it doubles as my HT and I don't want to hear the fans or have my subwoofer shake anything lose in it lol). It's about 15ft or so.

Anyone have experience in hooking up the rift and extending it?

I googled and found a link that suggested you needed to get a DVI>HDMI to hook up an hdmi extension, but that was from like almost a year ago, is that still the case?

Musician

Order from oculus.com is still "processing to be shipped". Probably won't be getting it before the weekend then. Hearing some people have had their orders cancelled as well.

Might have to order it from Amazon.UK or .de instead because of course no Swedish retailer would ever offer a deal like this.

Chumley

Banned
Anyone have any input on both of these. I've been meaning to get prescription lenses for my Rift, but not sure which company to go with. The Oculus reddit had a few recommendations for widmoVR.

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/

I'm filling out the prescription on one of these. Stupid question, but if Cylinder Right on my optometrist's prescription is listed as sphere, that means 0.0 right?

Also, if Axis right is blank and Axis left is 025, that means just leaving Axis right at 0 and Axis left at 25 right? I've never filled this out on my own so I just wanted to make sure before ordering these. I'll just post it here -

2W7Xrdm.jpg

Impulsor

Order from oculus.com is still "processing to be shipped". Probably won't be getting it before the weekend then. Hearing some people have had their orders cancelled as well.

Might have to order it from Amazon.UK or .de instead because of course no Swedish retailer would ever offer a deal like this.
I ordered yesterday morning and it still is stuck in "Ordered"

DrBo42

I'm filling out the prescription on one of these. Stupid question, but if Cylinder Right on my optometrist's prescription is listed as sphere, that means 0.0 right?

Also, if Axis right is blank and Axis left is 025, that means just leaving Axis right at 0 and Axis left at 25 right? I've never filled this out on my own so I just wanted to make sure before ordering these. I'll just post it here -

2W7Xrdm.jpg

I would call your doctor's office. I've never seen that listed as sphere when they mean 0. They usually just leave a field blank if it doesn't need a correction like the prism stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom