• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Vive owners who are also picking this up?

I currently own a Vive and PSVR. For multi VR system owners, is this worth getting? I'm very tempted by the price, very very tempted, but wondering if it's just redundant as a Vive owner?

For reference I have not tried Re-vive yet. Is it easy to use or a pain in the ass? Also is the head set different/better than Vive in anyways that are tangible enough to warrant the additional purchase?

Might be good as a dedicated sim setup. I found the Rift comfier to use for games like Elite and Project Cars.

Cuburt

On one hand, it's a good price to jump in with some software to keep you busy.

On the other hand, the next gen of headsets should be coming in the not too distant future and software seems to still be missing the killer apps that make me feel like I need to get it now.

Hmm

Mendrox

On one hand, it's a good price to jump in with some software to keep you busy.

On the other hand, the next gen of headsets should be coming in the not too distant future and software seems to still be missing the killer apps that make me feel like I need to get it now.

Hmm

Next gen of headsets will still take some time. Only interesting things are LGs & Co's headset in autumn and the Vive knuckle controller in december.

Theonik

I tested it out with two cameras at best buy and had no problems even putting my arm behind my back and turning my head behind me.
Try walking around with your back turned to the camera. Yes you need a third camera for room-scale or you might get away with two cameras in corners of the room but it doesn't work great. A third camera is only $60 just buy one.

They keyword here is NEED. You don't NEED a third sensor but it will obviously make the experience better.

There is no way to do proper room scale unless you have that third sensor.

Yes, you can do it without it, but you will be losing tracking frequently and you will be orientating your body is weird ways to avoid it.

Chumley

Banned
There is no way to do proper room scale unless you have that third sensor.

Yes, you can do it without it, but you will be losing tracking frequently and you will be orientating your body is weird ways to avoid it.

Are you supposed to place the third one behind you? I don't really want a cord running across the floor.

LAA

Got it yesterday, really impressed by sensors/controllers and the premium feel and look of everything, however..few problems with it.

1. I can't get the Oculus to feel comfortable wearing it after several tries. It either feels too close to my eyes, or too loose. I try pulling the headset where I want it positioned and adjust the side straps, but it doesn't stay in that position.

2. As I feared, just not enough physical space to play the games I was most looking forward to, e.g. Accounting. Can't grab the 2nd VR headset and had issues with grabbing things close to the ground. Wish there was some tweak/hack/mod to just move your player manually in the world without needing to actually walk there.

3. The lens slider doesn't seem to do anything? I just don't notice a difference when sliding it, don't know what I'm aiming for.

Other than that, was most impressed by Robo Recall so far! Chaotic and awesome fun.

StonedRider

Where do you buy it, EuroGAF?

The bundle is currently unavailable on amazon.de, any other options with delivery to other european country?

I ordered VR lens

I'm really enjoying my time with my Oculus so far, but everything is blurry as all hell. My glasses don't fit for crap. I even tried an older smaller pair and it wasn't comfortable either.

Heard some decent things about vr-lens.eu, hope they turn out well.

Imur

I always thought VR is only great in first person view...now I played Luckys Tale.

b658f5f86efa249dcfc782049ed315433b1fd26f7d06b09cbe30beb5bec26ef9.jpg

Izuna

Banned
I strongly recommend people measure their frames or buy thin ones instead of buying expensive stuff like lens lab. Especialy with lens lab, you need the premium option otherwise you will get distortion.

Also, glasses with the anti reflection layer will make it better for reducing god rays than those who don't wear glasses.

In the UK, Specsavers will do a 2for1 deal on anything £69 or above or you can cheap out and get £25 ones (what I went with).

Small frames will fit perfectly and it won't be pushed against your face.

---

One of my fav VR YouTube channels has a great 2 sensor setup that supposedly works very well and in some ways is better than makeshift 3 sensor setups. I will personally be testing it at the end of the week.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Got it yesterday, really impressed by sensors/controllers and the premium feel and look of everything, however..few problems with it.

1. I can't get the Oculus to feel comfortable wearing it after several tries. It either feels too close to my eyes, or too loose. I try pulling the headset where I want it positioned and adjust the side straps, but it doesn't stay in that position.

2. As I feared, just not enough physical space to play the games I was most looking forward to, e.g. Accounting. Can't grab the 2nd VR headset and had issues with grabbing things close to the ground. Wish there was some tweak/hack/mod to just move your player manually in the world without needing to actually walk there.

3. The lens slider doesn't seem to do anything? I just don't notice a difference when sliding it, don't know what I'm aiming for.

Other than that, was most impressed by Robo Recall so far! Chaotic and awesome fun.
Indeed Accounting requires a room space area.

I heard good words with Lone Echo too

Mascot

I'm slightly confused about prescription glasses requirement. I use reading glasses for anything closer than about a foot, but my distance vision is fine. Will I need to wear my glasses?

Izuna

Banned
I'm slightly confused about prescription glasses requirement. I use reading glasses for anything closer than about a foot, but my distance vision is fine. Will I need to wear my glasses?

I don't think you will. My close vision is good but in Vr even the closest object requires me to squint.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

Make sure the back of the headset rests at the base of your skill. Many people aren't aware but the front of the headset also tilts forward and backwards.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Your eyes will work like they do without the headset. The screen is an inch from your face but your focus is generally far out so you should be fine unless you need to read something close up in the game I guess.

You guys need to try Chronos and Edge of Nowhere. Those will really surprise you in how well 3rd person games work on the Rift.

How have I not yelled about how great Chronos is in this thread yet?

That game on Hard is something else.

Yes, both these games are excellent and have quite meaty campaigns.

I have a relatively small office where the Rift is going so i wont be setting up room scale... should i get a 3rd sensor (ive heard loads of conflicting information) or is one in each opposite corner mounted from the ceiling good for walking around a few feet but mostly standing still?

Edit: Amazon is saying that the individual sensor ships in anywhere from 1 to 2 months on the US store!?!? lol da'fuq

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
I have a relatively small office where the Rift is going so i wont be setting up room scale... should i get a 3rd sensor (ive heard loads of conflicting information) or is one in each opposite corner mounted from the ceiling good for walking around a few feet but mostly standing still?

Edit: Amazon is saying that the individual sensor ships in anywhere from 1 to 2 months on the US store!?!? lol da'fuq

You can try just setting them up in the front as wide as you can facing towards the center of the room. I'm guessing many games will work just fine with this configuration but yes opposing corners would also work but you may need to get an extension cord to reach the back corner.

Edit: Newegg still has them in stock and your local best buy may as well.

Soi-Fong

The thirst is real... lol

Listonosh

Well... I bought it!

At first I didn't think I was going to buy it, because I didn't think I'd need another headset with the PSVR. Holy shit, after playing with the Touch controllers... wow! Robo Recall especially is amazing, and I'm super pumped to try out Echo Arena and perhaps Mage's Tale, since I hear really great things about it. It's going to be really hard to go back to the Move controllers after using the Touch controllers. They're just so fucking cool and accurate!

The amount of stuff you get for free is what sealed the deal for me. All those games gave me a nice library to start out with, without needing to spend any extra outside of buying that headset.

LAA

Make sure the back of the headset rests at the base of your skill. Many people aren't aware but the front of the headset also tilts forward and backwards.

Yeah I did discover that yesterday actually, problem then was the headset lenses didn't rest in front of my eyes clearly. Have to experiment with it more, but I think it's more of a pain to get comfortably on your head compared to PSVR so far.

kinggroin

Banned

Accounting is like one of the most roomscale-y game out. Unless you bought two more cameras, you weren't going to have a flawless experience. Hell, some Vive setups can have minor issues in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom