• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

I must say I'm so happy to see everyone enjoying PC VR. It's the kind of experience you want to share. This is th dream.

Accounting is like one of the most roomscale-y game out. Unless you bought two more cameras, you weren't going to have a flawless experience. Hell, some Vive setups can have minor issues in that game.

Yep, Accounting is too much space for me too, if only it had teleport...

3. The lens slider doesn't seem to do anything? I just don't notice a difference when sliding it, don't know what I'm aiming for.

This is a clarity thing, the difference is pretty minor, there's a setup thing in Oculus where you can move the slider and see the least blurry set of 3 red lines. Additionally there are 3 lines for the headsets vertical position on your face.
I think it's when you do a setup from scratch?

At the end, is it comfortable for the glasses users ?

I think it must vary depending on your frames and/or face. I have big frames and no discomfort. In fact my frames are at the very max width that will fit in the Oculus but not so much that they're squeezed by it at all.

I couldn't use the cover I bought because the extra ~mm make it too small...

Impulsor

It isn't being a pleasant experience ordering one of these from oculus.com.

Invalid shipping adress now. After more 24 hours with no news or change in status of my order.

My address is perfectly fine too. I already submitted a couple of tickets and I feel completely ignored.

Geez.

VICI0US

Picked my order up from best buy last night. Man, it definitely feels like a huge step up from the PSVR in terms of controllers, tracking, and image quality.. no more jitter or my head randomly relocating to the middle of my chest / above my body as the PSVR liked to do in until dawn and eve valkyrie.

Only issue I'm having is that none of my touch games registered to my account, I have a ticket open with support at the moment to get it fixed.

I'd recommend new folks take a look at oculus tray tool for some additional tweaking:

https://forums.oculus.com/community...ng-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

You can have it auto switch your audio sources between the rift and your speakers as you open & close oculus home. It can also do profiles on a per game basis so you can set a supersampling rate for each game. Very nice for titles that don't have one built in to the options like lucky's tale. The game looks great with 2.0 supersampling turned on.

It isn't being a pleasant experience ordering one of these from oculus.com.

Invalid shipping adress now. After more 24 hours with no news or change in status of my order.

My address is perfectly fine too. I already submitted a couple of tickets and I feel completely ignored.

Geez.

lol yeah mine has been stuck for two days now, without any updates... Despite me getting an email two days ago telling me to look out for my order number, as there would soon be a tracking number added.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Yeah I did discover that yesterday actually, problem then was the headset lenses didn't rest in front of my eyes clearly. Have to experiment with it more, but I think it's more of a pain to get comfortably on your head compared to PSVR so far.

No doubt psvr has the best ergonomic solution and new HMD makers seem to be copying that design. As for the rift think of it as a baseball cap when you take it on and off.

Matthew23

I would advise all you new owners to run the Oculus compatibility check available on their website. My specs looked good on paper but after running the tool I've discovered my ASMedia USB 3.0 host controller isn't compatible. Updated driver didn't help. After digging through reddit I've come across some older posts about people who had the same controller and had trouble getting their Rifts to work properly.

I'm about to pick this up https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6ZCNGM/?tag=neogaf0e-20 which will hopefully avoid any headaches when my OR arrives.

When i build my gaming rig a month or so ago i had no idea i'd even consider VR. I'm kinda glad i went with the NZXT s340 Elite case. Thing has a front IO panel with (1) hdmi, (2) usb 3.0 and (2) usb 2.0... and a weird magnetic headset holder/coil management thing lol... worked out pretty well!

xlarge_70b4fdc51f7a7fcc.png

Edit: Oh crap. Is the front VR IO panel just using the same controllers or whatever that the back IO ports use? If i have the back USB ports full... will the front even work? Or do i need to buy that internal NZXT USB hub to give me more ports?

Zalusithix

I'd agree with all those except library quality. Experiences like Farpoint, Until Dawn and Resident Evil 7 are only available on the PSVR.

Library quality is a subjective thing. For every PSVR exclusive, there's mulitple games in the PCVR space that aren't on PSVR. While they might not be as big of a name as say RE, that has little bearing on how much fun they can be. Then there's the genre variety and such to consider.

I mean, as a Vive owner that doesn't own a PSVR or want to support Oculus' storefront, Oculus exclusives are more interesting to me than what Sony has to offer. Not enough for me to go against my principles and buy them, but more interesting just the same.

Catphish

I'm really enjoying this thing so far. Robo Recall is incredible and Eve: Valkyrie is fun as hell.

I bought an extra sensor, so I have them setup at 10, 2, and 6 o'clock for a 2.5x2.5m space, and the experience is excellent.

Very impressed. 👍

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Oh I know, but I wouldn't say one platform's library quality exceeds the other. Both platforms offer enticing games that is just amazing in VR.

It seems like Oculus is winning in quantity here though.

PSVR' biggest future exclusive titles are Skyrim VR, Ace Combat 7, Gran Turismo Sports, and that Final Fantasy fishing game...and AC7 / GT Sports are not in full VR.

While Oculus is getting the like of Fallout 4 VR on Steam, The Wizards, Blade & Soul, Killing Floor: Incursion, Payday 2, Puzzle & Dragon VR, Heart of the Emberstone, Project Cars 2...Skyrim VR and RE7 VR ports most probably coming to Rift next year as well.

Blam

I'm really enjoying this thing so far. Robo Recall is incredible and Eve: Valkyrie is fun as hell.

I bought an extra sensor, so I have them setup at 10, 2, and 6 o'clock for a 2.5x2.5m space, and the experience is excellent.

Very impressed. 👍

Yeah Robo Recall is damn amazing.

PSVR' biggest future exclusive titles are Skyrim VR, Ace Combat 7, Gran Turismo Sports, and that Final Fantasy fishing game...and AC7 / GT Sports are not in full VR.

While Oculus is getting the like of Fallout 4 VR on Steam, The Wizards, Blade & Soul, Killing Floor: Incursion, Payday 2, Puzzle & Dragon VR, Heart of the Emberstone, Project Cars 2...Skyrim VR and RE7 VR ports most probably coming to Rift next year as well.

I thought that was a one year timed exclusive? I believe RE7 PC VR is a definite, yeah?

Listonosh

I was happy with just my PSVR. Why did this have to happen...

Help me be strong, guys.

This was me, until I listened to Jeff Cannata's daily podcast which not only praised the deal like crazy, but he recommended a lot of must play games, some of which ended up being free, like Robo Recall when you buy the Oculus Touch.

So yeah... I gave in, and I'm LOVING IT

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

Don't forget Artika.1 (4A games), Doom VFR, Seeking Dawn, From Other Worlds (Gunfire Games)

I can't see how these big prices cuts mean anything but that the Oculus is in trouble. I was an early adopter, but mine is boxed now because I haven't seen that many interesting games coming out lately. And although there are really good VR games, there are also too many that are are sub mobile quality and just don't work well. There's a fishing game that's a nightmare to play, even with touch.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
I can't see how these big prices cuts mean anything but that the Oculus is in trouble. I was an early adopter, but mine is boxed now because I haven't seen that many interesting games coming out lately. And although there are really good VR games, there are also too many that are are sub mobile quality and just don't work well. There's a fishing game that's a nightmare to play, even with touch.

Increasing the VR userbase is trouble? I think this is just part of their plan. They're also about to announce a big title next week fully funded by oculus. Oculus Connect 4 is coming in October. I don't think you do these things if you're in trouble.

Increasing the VR userbase is trouble? I think this is just part of their plan. They're also about to announce a big title next week fully funded by oculus. Oculus Connect 4 is coming in October. I don't think you do these things if you're in trouble.

All of those things have probably been in the works for a while so they might as well go through with them. They wouldn't be cutting the price this drastically if the thing was selling. C'mon, this is a firesale.

I know people are happy that it's cheap enough that they can finally get one. I'm sure people were happy when they got discount Saturns and Dreamcasts and Virtual Boys and N-Gages, too.

datamage

All of those things have probably been in the works for a while so they might as well go through with them. They wouldn't be cutting the price this drastically if the thing was selling. C'mon, this is a firesale.

Or maybe VR isn't selling as well as everyone had hoped, and Oculus dropped the price significantly, because they can? HTC hasn't been doing well for a while now, so they can't really afford to do any drastic cuts.

It's all speculation at this point anyhow.

Or maybe VR isn't selling as well as everyone had hoped, and Oculus dropped the price significantly, because they can? HTC hasn't been doing well for a while now, so they can't really afford to do any drastic cuts.

It's all speculation at this point anyhow.

This is what I'm saying. It's proof that VR isn't doing as well as everyone had hoped. I say this as an early adopter who bought a $1200 gaming rig just for VR and pre-ordered all the Oculus hardware months in advance.

I know people are happy that it's cheap enough that they can finally get one. I'm sure people were happy when they got discount Saturns and Dreamcasts and Virtual Boys and N-Gages, too.

I mean, you have to consider that the retail units are nearly a year and a half old at this point too though. Much longer if you count the kick starter units that have been out for a long time now. It's not like this is a 3ds situation where there's a panic mode price cut a few months after launch.

They've probably hit the majority of people they're going to get at 599$ and jumped down to 399$ to grab a new market. I don't think $499 would have been dramatic enough to move the needle much.

I don't see it as much of bad sign, honestly.

datamage

This is what I'm saying. It's proof that VR isn't doing as well as everyone had hoped. I say this as an early adopter who bought a $1200 gaming rig just for VR and pre-ordered all the Oculus hardware months in advance.

Fair enough. :) I've just read some wild conspiracy theories over on /r/Vive as to the price cuts, so I was tired of the ominous outlook.

I mean, you have to consider that the retail units are nearly a year and a half old at this point too though. Much longer if you count the kick starter units that have been out for a long time now. It's not like this is a 3ds situation where there's a panic mode price cut a few months after launch.

They've probably hit the majority of people they're going to get at 599$ and jumped down to 399$ to grab a new market. I don't think $499 would have been dramatic enough to move the needle much.

I don't see it as much of bad sign, honestly.

You honestly can't count the Kickstarter units. Too different. Personally, I don't think the full Oculus experience really arrived until Touch was released. I was hoping that that would help it catch on and that more natural-feeling software would be created, but I don't see it yet.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I'm tempted on getting it again, but having 2 VR setups (Vive and Rift) is a bit of a hassle. Plus, Revive works so well.

I might wait for the second generation of the Rift instead.

Bookoo

Enthusiasts seemed to have an actual grip on the reality when it came to VR adoption. Most doubters just like to scream how they were right about it failing like 3D, but that was just a result of the medias constant hype about it.

PC VR was always going to be a hard sell and was likely never going to be mainstream. Even if they were only $300-400 dollars it's a tough sell because it requires a strong PC. On top of that while I'll find the Oculus comfortable it is still bulky, clunky setup, and doesn't have the same level of crisp visuals as people are used to. There was and still is a content problem on these systems.

Mainstream adoption probably won't come until we see a pair of standalone AR/VR sunglasses.

Dartastic

Did any of you guys who got the free $100 gift card deal try and take your receipt to Best Buy to price match and get the equipment earlier?

Ok got mine setup last night and what an incredible experience. I joke that I'm the old guy on GAF, but my wife and I agreed last night that we haven't had an experience like this since playing the Nintendo or Atari at home for the first time etc. Remembering playing the PS One and seeing Ridge Racer.

Robo Recall is the defacto, IMO, for showing off VR. Within seconds of being in it you pass that "It's just a game" barrier and you feel like you're there. I was sweating at one point in my room ducking, dodging and giggling like a little school kid.

I really liked the Oculus Dreamscape too, I wish that T-Rex experience was longer because my son absolutely was blown away by it.

Without being too corny, I had such an emotional roller coaster last night, it was so fun to have a NEW experience in the game realm where things have felt stagnant. I don't mean stagnant from good games, this year has been amazing, I mean stagnant from anything really pushing the envelop for new experiences.

Only thing I can't figure out is the halo like effect with text. If you focus on the text directly in front of you it looks clear but if you move your head there's a shimmer to it that extends out, almost like a halo effect. Is that just because the lenses cause that?

Yes, it's an artifact caused by the fresnel lenses in high contrast scenes.
Ah that makes sense! Thanks for the heads up, I thought something may be wrong with my unit.
These are the god rays people refer to and most of the time they are really noticeable when you see white text on a black ground.

I believe it was a way to mask the rings on the lenses. If you have ever used a Vive you will notice that it doesn't have the rays, but the rings on the lenses are more noticeable in your peripheral.
So basically you'll just get use to it. It was pretty distracting at first, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

vermadas

Only thing I can't figure out is the halo like effect with text. If you focus on the text directly in front of you it looks clear but if you move your head there's a shimmer to it that extends out, almost like a halo effect. Is that just because the lenses cause that?

Yes, it's an artifact caused by the fresnel lenses in high contrast scenes.

Bookoo

These are the god rays people refer to and most of the time they are really noticeable when you see white text on a black ground.

I believe it was a way to mask the rings on the lenses. If you have ever used a Vive you will notice that it doesn't have the rays, but the rings on the lenses are more noticeable in your peripheral.

So basically you'll just get use to it. It was pretty distracting at first, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

They weren't for me, but some people couldn't stand them. I don't know if the intensity varies from headset to headset though.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Threads like this reaffirms what we already knew. Price is the biggest barrier to entry when it comes to high end VR as well.

I think "trouble" is a relative thing since Oculus is backed by the basically unlimited funds of Facebook. I'm sure it didn't sell as well as they had hoped, but I think cutting the price to $400 for the summer is something they are doing to increase user base and figuring they can make at least some of that money back on software sales. I'm just using these numbers as an example, they are no way indicative of actual numbers, but better to have a user base of say 800,000 that will be purchasing software even if 300,000 of those people got in at $400 than only having a 500,000 person install base to be selling software to.

I don't think this is a fire sale as that implies that a company is selling off product because they are going to close up shop, or are trying to sell stuff they know will be obsolete in few months, and I don't think either of those are the case. I don't think Oculus is going out of business and even though there will be a gen 2 HMD coming at some point from them, if they were to launch something new say this fall, and have to sell it at $600-$800 then they end up back in that same spot where they have a hard time moving units due to the cost. I suspect they may show what they are thinking about for a gen 2 Rift, but that it won't actually launch until they can make them at a cost where they could sell them to the consumers at a more reasonable price at launch.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy "multi games" on Steam?

You should buy every VR game that isn't exclusively locked to the Oculus on Steam for sure. This guarantees it will work on any future headsets you buy, regardless of brand.

I guess if you like the idea of having everything in Oculus Home. I would personally buy every game you can on Steam so you have guaranteed compatibility with future headsets if you decide to break away from Oculus at some point.

Bookoo

I think "trouble" is a relative thing since Oculus is backed by the basically unlimited funds of Facebook. I'm sure it didn't sell as well as they had hoped, but I think cutting the price to $400 for the summer is something they are doing to increase user base and figuring they can make at least some of that money back on software sales. I'm just using these numbers as an example, they are no way indicative of actual numbers, but better to have a user base of say 800,000 that will be purchasing software even if 300,000 of those people got in at $400 than only having a 500,000 person install base to be selling software to.

I don't think this is a fire sale as that implies that a company is selling off product because they are going to close up shop, or are trying to sell stuff they know will be obsolete in few months, and I don't think either of those are the case. I don't think Oculus is going out of business and even though there will be a gen 2 HMD coming at some point from them, if they were to launch something new say this fall, and have to sell it at $600-$800 then they end up back in that same spot where they have a hard time moving units due to the cost. I suspect they may show what they are thinking about for a gen 2 Rift, but that it won't actually launch until they can make them at a cost where they could sell them to the consumers at a more reasonable price at launch.

They just announced Oculus Connect 4 on June 22nd 2017. If they were worried about closing up shop they likely would have known.

Zuckerberg has also come out and talked about how he views Oculus and VR/AR for that matter as a long term 10+ year strategy because he thinks of it as the next computing platform, not just some gaming device.

"I don’t know there was something that folks could have done to make that happen fast but I think that was pretty good. And if we can be on a similar trajectory of anywhere near 10 years for VR and AR, then I would feel very good about that. And I feel like we’re making the right bets now to plant the seeds for that. But I would ask for the patience of the investor community in doing that because we’re going to invest a lot in this and it’s not going to return or be really profitable for us for quite a while.” Zuckerberg Feb 2017

Bookoo

I don't think you can launch them from Oculus home without a 3rd party hack, but other than that there isn't any reason anymore. I believe there used to be issues with getting ASW and other Oculus performance things when running SteamVR games.

datamage

I don't think you can launch them from Oculus home without a 3rd party hack, but other than that there isn't any reason anymore. I believe there used to be issues with getting ASW and other Oculus performance things when running SteamVR games.

Is this no longer the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom