• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

So, I vaguely remember reading that VR modes weren't available on certain games unless you got them through the Oculus store? Like, I have Dirt Rally on Steam, but I don't see it showing up in my "VR" section of my library. Do I have to get it through the Oculus store to have it playable in VR? If so, that SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.

Buzzbrad

So, I vaguely remember reading that VR modes weren't available on certain games unless you got them through the Oculus store? Like, I have Dirt Rally on Steam, but I don't see it showing up in my "VR" section of my library. Do I have to get it through the Oculus store to have it playable in VR? If so, that SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.

VR mode should work through Steam. It is listed as supporting Oculus on the Steam store page.

kinggroin

Banned
I can't see how these big prices cuts mean anything but that the Oculus is in trouble. I was an early adopter, but mine is boxed now because I haven't seen that many interesting games coming out lately. And although there are really good VR games, there are also too many that are are sub mobile quality and just don't work well. There's a fishing game that's a nightmare to play, even with touch.

I suggest not playing those games. Instead, sticking to the "really good VR games"

;-)

"So, I vaguely remember reading that VR modes weren't available on certain games unless you got them through the Oculus store? Like, I have Dirt Rally on Steam, but I don't see it showing up in my "VR" section of my library. Do I have to get it through the Oculus store to have it playable in VR? If so, that SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS."

Dirt Rally on Steam most definitely works in VR. It doesn't show up in the VR section because it's not a SteamVR game, it uses the Oculus SDK. So, if you launch it with your Rift on, it should detect that and launch in VR. I'm assuming that's how it works with Rift.

low-G

I really liked the Oculus Dreamscape too, I wish that T-Rex experience was longer because my son absolutely was blown away by it.

My S/O was so scared by the T-Rex she couldn't look at it and now she's afraid to try any VR experience that sounds remotely scary. Hasn't tried Robo Recall yet because of this.

The only game I'm aware of that is actually in this case is BlazeRush. Only the Oculus store version has VR support.

Threads like this reaffirms what we already knew. Price is the biggest barrier to entry when it comes to high end VR as well.

Yep. I was one of the few stating how it doesn't matter how good it is, if you price it out of the range of people it's not only going to put a bullet into your product, but it's going to make people angry. Hopefully this teaches VR companies something that wise businessmen have known for hundreds of years.

Dartastic

VR mode should work through Steam. It is listed as supporting Oculus on the Steam store page.

Dirt Rally on Steam most definitely works in VR. It doesn't show up in the VR section because it's not a SteamVR game, it uses the Oculus SDK. So, if you launch it with your Rift on, it should detect that and launch in VR. I'm assuming that's how it works with Rift.
Phew. Thanks! Looks like I already have a decent amount of games I can try in Rift when I receive mine... Really looking forward to trying Dirt Rally and Thumper.

Is there a way to tell which games in my Steam library aren't in the VR section that support VR via Oculus? That'd be super helpful.

Bookoo

Is this no longer the case?

Based on what I could find from google performance issues aren't much of a problem anymore especially if the game was compiled in Oculus SDK. How you determine that I have no idea, but I would imagine if it is a game that released on both platforms it would be fine.

I am not sure though because I just buy games through Oculus Home for the convenience.

This is my motherboard:

https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/MAXIMUS_IV_GENEZ/

Z68 with a 4.5ghz 2600k.

ASMedia® USB 3.0 controller :
4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
Intel® Z68 chipset :
12 x USB 2.0 port(s) (8 at back panel, black, 4 at mid-board)

If I want to run room scale what ports should I use for what and do I need the Inateck PCIe expansion card?

I hear the rear camera works best on USB 2.0? Can the headset and touch run on USB 2.0 aswell?

If I hook all of this up will the USB 3 HDD I have connected grind to a halt?

robotrock

Banned
This is my motherboard:

https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/MAXIMUS_IV_GENEZ/

Z68 with a 4.5ghz 2600k.

ASMedia® USB 3.0 controller :
4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
Intel® Z68 chipset :
12 x USB 2.0 port(s) (8 at back panel, black, 4 at mid-board)

If I want to run room scale what ports should I use for what and do I need the PCIe expansion card?
Headset on 3.0, sensors I think can be on 2.0. They come with a 16ft USB 2.0 cable so should be fine

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Headset on 3.0, sensors I think can be on 2.0. They come with a 16ft USB 2.0 cable so should be fine

Actually I'd put the headset at 2.0 if you need to. The headset doesn't need to transfer as much data through USB as the sensors. I've had my headset using 2.0 for ages without any problems. That said even the sensors can work in 2.0.

I suggest not playing those games. Instead, sticking to the "really good VR games"

;-)

It's not just about me, it's about how the glut of crapware may lower the general impression of VR. That's essentially the cause of the first video game crash and a contributor to the death of many platforms, so it's a concern.

jrcbandit

Front sensors?
You want headset and all 3 sensors on USB 3.0 ideally. But a single USB controller can only handle 2 sensors Max. Also, older motherboards often have incompatible USB controllers other than the Intel USB ports. So you can hook up two sensors to the Intel USB 3.0 ports, then hook up one sensor and the Oculus headset to the Inatek or whatever it's called USB card.

Alternatively, you can buy an $80 startek USB card with 4 ports that each have their own controller. And hook everything up to that.

chinoXL

what's everyone delivery time that ordered from Amazon? just wondering if I should pick it up at BestBuy and also get Eve for free

what's everyone delivery time that ordered from Amazon? just wondering if I should pick it up at BestBuy and also get Eve for free
I ordered when they put the GC deal back up last night. The headset is scheduled for July 21st-July 28th and the Touch Controllers are July 26th-August 2nd.

I wish this deal had been before the steam sale. Sure, I got a headset for $300...but now I'm looking at spending another $300 on VR games.

This holiday sale I'll be getting all the VR games.

rtcn63

That recurring gift card deal has fucked me up. Now I'm positive it'll go on sale for $400 + GC again, if not during the holidays. (Regardless of the restored MSRP) A seemingly likely BF discount candidate.

You want headset and all 3 sensors on USB 3.0 ideally. But a single USB controller can only handle 2 sensors Max. Also, older motherboards often have incompatible USB controllers other than the Intel USB ports. So you can hook up two sensors to the Intel USB 3.0 ports, then hook up one sensor and the Oculus headset to the Inatek or whatever it's called USB card.

Alternatively, you can buy an $80 startek USB card with 4 ports that each have their own controller. And hook everything up to that.

Hearing conflicting information but seems like ideal setup would be:

2 front sensors to motherboard USB 3
Rear sensor, headset and HDD to Inateck card

Does the touch require an additional USB 3?

Without the expansion card would the following be optimal:
Headset and rear sensor 2.0
2x Front sensors 3.0

Dartastic

Depends on your glasses, I have two very different pairs of glasses and they both hurt like hell. I just use mine with contact lenses now.
My glasses are big. Fuck. I have astigmatism too, so everything is blurry when I take them off. Maybe I'll just deal with it. Fuck contacts.

datamage

Hearing conflicting information but seems like ideal setup would be:

2 front sensors to motherboard USB 3
Rear sensor, headset and HDD to Inateck card

Does the touch require an additional USB 3?

Without the expansion card would the following be optimal:
Headset and rear sensor 2.0
2x Front sensors 3.0

You should be fine. At one point, I had to run everything off USB 2.0 on my previous motherboard, and it was ok. While USB 3.0 is supposed to provide better tracking thanks to higher throughput, I'm not sure that in practice, it's really making a difference. What you don't want to do is oversaturate your USB bus, so hopefully you can divide that.

Zalusithix

I wish this deal had been before the steam sale. Sure, I got a headset for $300...but now I'm looking at spending another $300 on VR games.

I think it was rather intentionally timed to not coincide with the summer sales. They want to recoup money via software sales. Having everybody buy games at steep discounts on their platform doesn't help much with that. Even worse, having people buy games at steep discounts on Steam doesn't help them at all. This way they get a bunch of new VR owners that'll chew through their free game allotment before the next wave of sales hits, and then buy games at their normal prices..

You should be fine. At one point, I used to run everything off USB 2.0 on my previous motherboard, and it was ok. While USB 3.0 is supposed to provide better tracking thanks to higher throughput, I'm not sure that in practice, it's really making a difference. What you don't want to do is oversaturate your USB bus, so hopefully you can divide that.

Thanks, I think I'll give it a go and can always buy the card later if necessary.

VICI0US

yeah, definitely a bummer. I would've loved to have grabbed thumper, redout, job simulator, virtual rick-ality, and a few other titles during the summer sale had I known this discount would come around.

Zalusithix

Forgot to reply to this one earlier.
2. As I feared, just not enough physical space to play the games I was most looking forward to, e.g. Accounting. Can't grab the 2nd VR headset and had issues with grabbing things close to the ground. Wish there was some tweak/hack/mod to just move your player manually in the world without needing to actually walk there.

Install OpenVR Advanced Settings. One of the settings pages allows you to manually move the position of the play space relative to the virtual world:
PlayspacePage.png

Obviously not the ideal way to play Accounting, but it'll allow you to get through it just the same. Even if you don't need such functionality, I'd still recommend installing OVRAS. It exposes a lot of things that SteamVR normally keeps in the desktop settings window, and offers a number of other tweaks that you can't replicate at all otherwise.

Edit:
Yeah well you'd hang it from your strap not your lenses lol.
I don't recommend hanging any of the VR devices by the strap as that puts the lenses facing upwards to collect dust.

how do games run in a 970?

i have a i5 4670k for a cpu and 8gb memory.

I have a 970, same CPU, and 16gb. FWIW, I haven't noticed any issues and have had a hell of a time.

That said, Robo Recall is something else. After some chill VR experiences like First Contact or loading up The Lab or Valkyrie, Robo Recall is on another level. Amazing.

Heysoos

I know this is completely anecdotal, but where I work we pushed one maybe two Oculus rift a month, yesterday I sold four myself and saw orders being made for another two since we were OOS. Kinda crazy. And that's because Amazon had much better deal going on than us.

So what kind of limitations should I expect with Vive games? My fingers are crossed I will be able to play Fallout 4 VR when it finally arrives. But I just kind of want to know what to expect now in terms of limitations for Vive centered titles.

Shit - I don't even care about VR, but for some reason tempted by this huge price break (probably would have bought already if I didn't miss the Amazon deal).

I have a GearVR and have a feeling the Rift is also going to collect dust like that after the initial wow factor quickly wears off and you realize the technology is still not where you want it to be.

Just from a immersion / picture quality standpoint - am I going to be floored by Rift in comparison to GearVR? I am finding that I'm trying to convince myself to buy this - but really hoping to avoid a regret purchase.

So what kind of limitations should I expect with Vive games? My fingers are crossed I will be able to play Fallout 4 VR when it finally arrives. But I just kind of want to know what to expect now in terms of limitations for Vive centered titles.

Very few. The controls are a little strange sometimes, but everything generally works. And if it doesn't, the developers usually fix it pretty fast because they get complaints...I imagine that with this sale, we'll be even more in the clear.

Fallout 4 is an iffy one because Bethesda/Zenimax. But I imagine it will still be compatible.

Ferrio

Banned
Just from a immersion / picture quality standpoint - am I going to be floored by Rift in comparison to GearVR? I am finding that I'm trying to convince myself to buy this - but really hoping to avoid a regret purchase.

Two totally different experiences. GearVR is missing a lot what makes VR special. There's no positional tracking, you can't do room scale and no motion controls. Not to mention GearVR is powered by a damn phone, so you can only do so much with the hardware.

mazillion

how do games run in a 970?

i have a i5 4670k for a cpu and 8gb memory.

I have a 970 (i5-4690k 16gb) and I tried out Elite Dangerous and Lucky's Tale last night. They both ran flawlessly as far as I could tell. And for Elite I even had the graphics set to the "VR High" preset.

I tried super-sampling in Elite and the frame-rate took a huge dive, as others have said, I think the 970 isn't going to handle super-sampling but it's totally not necessary. Might be doable in some less demanding games though.

Wallach

The only meaningful limitation is down to your number of sensors and play space. With 3 sensors there really isn't much of a functional difference up to around 15' x 15' in my experience.

Shaldome

Actually, I need it shipped to Latvia. Oculus does not ship here and amazon.de were my only option :(

Looks like I should wait another year before saying good bye to the real world.

I am not sure what additional costs are added for shipping to Lettland, but Alternate does say they ship to other European country's.

Other then that, the deal lasts for five more weeks, so it might be in stock again on Amazon.de during this time.

I am thinking about then, if I will get myself one. I was planning on getting a Vive at the end of the year, but this deal is tempting me.

Very few. The controls are a little strange sometimes, but everything generally works. And if it doesn't, the developers usually fix it pretty fast because they get complaints...I imagine that with this sale, we'll be even more in the clear.

Fallout 4 is an iffy one because Bethesda/Zenimax. But I imagine it will still be compatible.

The only meaningful limitation is down to your number of sensors and play space. With 3 sensors there really isn't much of a functional difference up to around 15' x 15' in my experience.

Great, I'll likely get the third sensor here today so it arrives on time. Then I need to figure out the best mounting solution. I've been a hold out so long I'm not even sure where to start.

Great, I'll likely get the third sensor here today so it arrives on time. Then I need to figure out the best mounting solution. I've been a hold out so long I'm not even sure where to start.

I use 2 of These for wall mounting while my 3rd is on my desk to complete the triangle. Mount them up at least 7 or 8 feet up and have them pointed down at your center space.

I also have This and This to extend my headset, and 1 more of the usb extenders for a sensor...if you get an extra sensor it comes with an extender as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom