• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

I'm -1.25 sph, -2.50 cyl for both eyes and using my friend's was rough. Not impossible but not something I'd be able to enjoy a game with.

Shit. Seeing as I have to stick my face about a foot in front of my 1080p monitor to read text without strain, I'm probably better off waiting for next gen. I know the Vive and PSVR are better for glasses, but cost/comfort/etc.

My glasses are big. Fuck. I have astigmatism too, so everything is blurry when I take them off. Maybe I'll just deal with it. Fuck contacts.

You won't be able to see anything. The Rift has a long focal distance. It works similar to your real vision and things'll be blurry even if in reality the screen is only a few inches away.

Glasses are terrible in the Rift. Even if they fit they fog up and you spend all of your time worrying you'll scratch the expensive, not replaceable lenses. I bought some prescription adapters from a company called VR Lens Lab that work okay, but they're an after-market solution and they tend to fall out some times, which sucks. I've seen never solutions that might be better.

Solving the glasses problem is a major step that needs to be taken before we have truly mainstream VR.

theRizzle

I wear my glasses for the vast majority of each day these days, but I have also had disposable contacts all my life. I always assumed everyone used both but reading this thread made me realize I might be in the minority.

I've got no problem putting my contacts in for a few hours at time rather than try and struggle with my glasses.

Shit. Seeing as I have to stick my face about a foot in front of my 1080p monitor to read text without strain, I'm probably better off waiting for next gen. I know the Vive and PSVR are better for glasses, but cost/comfort/etc.

Even with corrected vision smaller text is often hard to read in the Rift. It's not a full high resolution experience.

rtcn63

I wear my glasses for the vast majority of each day these days, but I have also had disposable contacts all my life. I always assumed everyone used both but reading this thread made me realize I might be in the minority.

I've got no problem putting my contacts in for a few hours at time rather than try and struggle with my glasses.

I wore contacts ages back, but they were (for me) too costly over time, and ended up picking up a pair of $30 glasses which I've been using for over five years.

Wallach

Wouldn't it be better to find a stand solution that hangs it with the lenses pointed down so as to minimize dust build up on the lenses, though?

It's not a big deal as the space behind the lenses is vacuum sealed.

That said, your storage solution should ensure that no sunlight can ever touch the lenses, so hanging it lenses-down would be fine either way.

StonedRider

I am not sure what additional costs are added for shipping to Lettland, but Alternate does say they ship to other European country's.

Other then that, the deal lasts for five more weeks, so it might be in stock again on Amazon.de during this time.

I am thinking about then, if I will get myself one. I was planning on getting a Vive at the end of the year, but this deal is tempting me.

Thanks! I'll try to buy from them.
Anyway, you are right, amazon.de should restock the bundle, what is the point of the deal if there is no stock!

CodeNfX

I also do both. I wear contacts for working out and watching 3D movies and now with the oculus rift.

Wallach

If you don't enjoy wearing contacts (like me), I'd recommend a set of VR Lens Lab inserts.

The latest versions with the RABS lenses are very nice and more convenient than having to go put in contacts. Not that cheap since they ship from Europe, but I'm very glad I have them.

Conezays

I have a 970, same CPU, and 16gb. FWIW, I haven't noticed any issues and have had a hell of a time.

That said, Robo Recall is something else. After some chill VR experiences like First Contact or loading up The Lab or Valkyrie, Robo Recall is on another level. Amazing.

Any opinion on how a 780Ti will run with same specs otherwise?

Bookoo

If you don't enjoy wearing contacts (like me), I'd recommend a set of VR Lens Lab inserts.

The latest versions with the RABS lenses are very nice and more convenient than having to go put in contacts. Not that cheap since they ship from Europe, but I'm very glad I have them.

I just bought some cheap glasses off Zenni that are said to fit, but these look interesting.

EDIT: nvm...apparently I am too blind to get them.

gdt

I haven't messed around with my Rift in months. I go to try it and the touch controllers pair up fine but now I get no picture in the headset!

I have the orange light and it turns off when I put it on but no picture! Doing a repair on the install but it's taking forever.

UrbanRats

You won't be able to see anything. The Rift has a long focal distance. It works similar to your real vision and things'll be blurry even if in reality the screen is only a few inches away.

Glasses are terrible in the Rift. Even if they fit they fog up and you spend all of your time worrying you'll scratch the expensive, not replaceable lenses. I bought some prescription adapters from a company called VR Lens Lab that work okay, but they're an after-market solution and they tend to fall out some times, which sucks. I've seen never solutions that might be better.

Solving the glasses problem is a major step that needs to be taken before we have truly mainstream VR.
I don't wear glasses, but other family members do, and that's kind of depressing to read.

Putting contacts on every time you want to use the Rift, if you're usually using glasses, isn't realistic, since it's too much of a hurdle and you'd end up just not using it ( i know I avoided using the GearVR a lot because just prepping everything was annoying, let alone putting on contacts).

Those lense add ons, may be a decent purchase though. :/

kinggroin

Banned
Shit - I don't even care about VR, but for some reason tempted by this huge price break (probably would have bought already if I didn't miss the Amazon deal).

I have a GearVR and have a feeling the Rift is also going to collect dust like that after the initial wow factor quickly wears off and you realize the technology is still not where you want it to be.

Just from a immersion / picture quality standpoint - am I going to be floored by Rift in comparison to GearVR? I am finding that I'm trying to convince myself to buy this - but really hoping to avoid a regret purchase.

Image quality of the displays are comparable. So if that's your deal breaker, just pass on it.

But the other things that set the two apart, damn. You don't know.

7roject28

I might have to get some contacts. Had been contemplating for years to get contacts though lol because I hate playing sports with glasses on. Eye doctor said I'm perfect candidate for laser correction but that I dunno, that seems scary and costly.

I got a cornea transplant for VR (and I'll be doing Lasik once I heal completely). Best decision of my life.

Awesome! Congrats. I've really been looking into Lasik, but I need to shore up a few things first. I'm 26 so my Vision has pretty much settled at this point. Been consistent over the last few years. My Optometrist says I'm a good candidate. But there's always that residual nagging that says "Wait for the next breakthrough" because effectively you can only have Lasik done once right? My concern is having the surgery, then obviously over time my eyes will degenerate and then not having the ability to do corrections when its important.

Is this for real? Wow. I didn't realize that was even a thing - how blind were you beforehand?

I was nearly completely blind in one eye. The transplant has improved my vision but it'll take about a year for vision to stabilize. I should be able to get it to the point where I can correct it 100% with Lasik.

Awesome! Congrats. I've really been looking into Lasik, but I need to shore up a few things first. I'm 26 so my Vision has pretty much settled at this point. Been consistent over the last few years. My Optometrist says I'm a good candidate. But there's always that residual nagging that says "Wait for the next breakthrough" because effectively you can only have Lasik done once right? My concern is having the surgery, then obviously over time my eyes will degenerate and then not having the ability to do corrections when its important.

I don't know if you can only do it once but I have been told very few people need it twice.

Hey guys I'm going to take my rift with controllers to my girlfriend place this weekend, what travel options do i have ? Should i just re-box them,or just put everything in my bag but make sure the lens are protected?

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Hey guys I'm going to take my rift with controllers to my girlfriend place this weekend, what travel options do i have ? Should i just re-box them,or just put everything in my bag but make sure the lens are protected?

I'd use the rift box to transport them. It is a carrying case after all. Cover the lenses and both touch controllers should fit around the headgear area. After that the only extra item would be the extra sensor.

Dartastic

I forgot that the Microsoft store has vr stuff on display, so I just went down there for my lunch break to try the oculus on with my glasses while I'm waiting for mine to ship. It seemed slightly snug, but definitely doable. Seems like it'll work just fine for my glasses. For reference, I wear Warby Parker Ames frames.

I'd use the rift box to transport them. It is a carrying case after all. Cover the lenses and both touch controllers should fit around the headgear area. After that the only extra item would be the extra sensor.
I was try to avoid using the box it's kind of big but it seems like the best solution now.

Chumley

Banned

Is there that much of a difference between these? https://widmovr.com/cart/

They're a good bit cheaper.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out a solution to hang this thing off the side of my desk. Does anyone know of any wood hangers I could just drill into it? I saw some posts that guitar hangers work but thats a bit too thick for my 2 inch desk.

Dartastic

Bumping because I'm still wondering if anyone who got the Amazon deal of the day tried going to Best Buy to essentially get them to price match the $300 price... I don't want to wait 2+ weeks. :(

Bumping because I'm still wondering if anyone who got the Amazon deal of the day tried going to Best Buy to essentially get them to price match the $300 price... I don't want to wait 2+ weeks. :(
It isn't Best Buy's policy to match deals that include Giftcard's and they certainly aren't going to price match it and just take the cost of the GC off.

They'll match the 399.99 price that's currently going on, but not the Gift card. Those aren't covered in their price match guarantee.

Vr Lens Lab is super expensive. And you have to buy the premium lens, the standard are terrible and create a fish bowl effect.

I just ordered some, but I heard good things about VR lens eu. They're much cheaper overall.

I don't wear glasses, but other family members do, and that's kind of depressing to read.

Putting contacts on every time you want to use the Rift, if you're usually using glasses, isn't realistic, since it's too much of a hurdle and you'd end up just not using it ( i know I avoided using the GearVR a lot because just prepping everything was annoying, let alone putting on contacts).

Those lense add ons, may be a decent purchase though. :/

PSVR works a bit better with glasses.

Have any owners purchased one of these vrcovers for glasses use? I'm really trying to find some sort of solution to prevent scratching because otherwise I feel like I'll refuse delivery and have to wait until the Vive goes cheaper. The custom lenses won't work because I don't remember my prescription, and I also need a solution if other people with glasses want to try it out.
https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-rift-facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set/

Tommy DJ

Also, I'm still trying to figure out a solution to hang this thing off the side of my desk. Does anyone know of any wood hangers I could just drill into it? I saw some posts that guitar hangers work but thats a bit too thick for my 2 inch desk.

It seems like a lot of those clip on prescription versions can result in a bit of barrel distotion because they reverse the lens orientation.

Apparently these single frame versions, like the one in the link, lessen the risk of this because it's basically a pair of glasses shoved in the VR headset. Main problem seems to be that it's slower to install/uninstall so kind of bad multiple users.

That's the gist I get from Reddit. Dunno if I'm right, I'm looking into prescription solutions too and don't want to blow $100 on a product that doesn't work.

Wallach

Couldn't say, though they look pretty similar. The advantage of the ones I linked is that the RABS lenses they offer do a much better job of correcting the barrel distortion of regular additional lenses. I had their original version and it had noticeable added barrel distortion when using them, while the RABS ones have very little.

The "best" solution is probably contacts, I just never wear them normally so I would only wear them for VR purposes generally, so it's much less convenient for me.

Chumley

Banned
It seems like a lot of those clip on prescription versions can result in a bit of barrel distotion because they reverse the lens orientation.

Apparently these single frame versions, like the one in the link, lessen the risk of this because it's basically a pair of glasses shoved in the VR headset. Main problem seems to be that it's slower to install/uninstall so kind of bad multiple users.

That's the gist I get from Reddit. Dunno if I'm right, I'm looking into prescription solutions too and don't want to blow $100 on a product that doesn't work.

I'm the only one using it really so I don't mind the installation.

Ill just wait till my headset comes in and see if it's uncomfortable with my aluminum frames, and order these wdmover ones if it is.

Please keep in mind to keep you Oculus Rifts away from sunlight. If you play by a window, make sure to cover your headset with a towel or something.

Just a few seconds of direct sunlight can result in this
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/50a395/what_will_happen_if_you_expose_your_psvr_to_a/

Those lenses are like magnifying glasses. Even a few seconds of direct exposure could cause damage.

Wow thanks for the tip about daylight. My desk is right next to a glass sliding door so I get tons of sunlight during the day. Guess I'll buy one of those VRBx cases.

Which would be faster? Ordering a Rift from Amazon or from the Oculus site itself?

It says 1-3 months on Amazon.. How long is it taking people to receive theirs?

Anyway.. gonna pull the trigger in a little bit here.

Chumley

Banned
Which would be faster? Ordering a Rift from Amazon or from the Oculus site itself?

Oculus. Amazon apparently sold off their whole stock through those $300 deals.

Is Best Buy an option? Amazon's stock got wiped out pretty quickly so it will take awhile to get one from them. I have read some complaints on Reddit over the last few days about not getting updates about Oculus shipping so they may take awhile to ship as well. From what I can see Best Buy is showing me free two day shipping asap and some stores around me has them in-stock.

*Edit* Never mind see you mentioned you're in Canada.

Is Best Buy an option? Amazon's stock got wiped out pretty quickly so it will take awhile to get one from them. I have read some complaints on Reddit over the last few days about not getting updates about Oculus shipping so they may take awhile to ship as well. From what I can see Best Buy is showing me free two day shipping asap and some stores around me has them in-stock.

*Edit* Never mind see you mentioned you're in Canada.

Well, we have Bestbuy in Canada as well.. but when I checked the site last, there was no price reduction, it was still $680.. but I just checked now, and they have the new price... but they are completely sold out both in store and online. :(

Hexer06

Image quality of the displays are comparable. So if that's your deal breaker, just pass on it.

But the other things that set the two apart, damn. You don't know.

Image quality is the same? I thought Gear VR was the "worst" when it comes to resolution/image quality? Then psvr, then the Rift. You're telling me I won't notice a difference between the Gear VR and the Rift? I'm gonna be pretty upset if that's true. :/
What are the things that set it apart then? Just the touch controllers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom