• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to hooking this thing up to my old ass PC and it works like a dream, at least it's way better than the PSVR. My PC is a FX-6100 @ 4.1ghz and a Radeon 7950 slightly over locked. So far I've only played Luckeys tale, google earth and the touch intro robot thing. I was going to pick up a i7-7700k and a gtx 1080 but I might wait a bit.

theRizzle

Well, I'm referring to Amazon.ca specifically, but I doubt it's much different.

From the Oculus store it is. Cheers!

I ordered mine from Oculus on Monday? Whatever day it was when the deal went up anyways, and UPS tracker guaranteed delivery by tomorrow.

Also, wasn't charged any tax on anything yet. Paid $549 straight up.

Wow. Disrespecting my home now.

635981575817814891-306424560_giphy.gif

kinggroin

Banned
Image quality is the same? I thought Gear VR was the "worst" when it comes to resolution/image quality? Then psvr, then the Rift. You're telling me I won't notice a difference between the Gear VR and the Rift? I'm gonna be pretty upset if that's true. :/
What are the things that set it apart then? Just the touch controllers?

Yeah I have a Galaxy S8 powered Gear VR and its honestly, at least in terms of clarity, not much different than what I get with the Vive or the Rift. PSVR actually has the least amount of screen door effect, but its actual content is typically rendered at a lower resolution than the display is capable of (so it can look more jaggy than the others at times).

As for what separates them? First of all, with anything NOT the Gear VR, you get to actually move around in the game world. Like, walk around, look close at stuff, up at stuff, under stuff. Obviously the Vive does this best, followed by a fully decked out Rift, and then much further behind is the PSVR. But still, that's like an immediate increase to immersion right there. Imagine laying on your back to work on underneath a car in Job Simulator. Or going prone and crawling through grass (on your carpet) in Rec Room paintball games.

After that, yes, the controllers. You have your hands, weapons, dildo, actually tracked in 3D space, so you can interact with things just like in real life (assuming the game lets you). In one sports game I played, I went over to another player and we fist bumped each other. Fucking surreal man.

Last, you have an order of a magnitude difference in rendering / processing power between mobile "VR" (like the Gear) and these more expensive sets. So instead of your games looking like shitty mobile apps running at an inconsistent framerate, you have AAA quality visuals that rival regular 2D games and run at 90 frames per second LOCKED.

the only similarity is that the display/lense clarity are comparable. But that's like saying you have to wear the same slightly fuzzy glasses to play your Atari games and your PC games.

does that help?

Hexer06

Yeah I have a Galaxy S8 powered Gear VR and its honestly, at least in terms of clarity, not much different than what I get with the Vive or the Rift. PSVR actually has the least amount of screen door effect, but its actual content is typically rendered at a lower resolution than the display is capable of (so it can look more jaggy than the others at times).

As for what separates them? First of all, with anything NOT the Gear VR, you get to actually move around in the game world. Like, walk around, look close at stuff, up at stuff, under stuff. Obviously the Vive does this best, followed by a fully decked out Rift, and then much further behind is the PSVR. But still, that's like an immediate increase to immersion right there. Imagine laying on your back to work on underneath a car in Job Simulator. Or going prone and crawling through grass (on your carpet) in Rec Room paintball games.

After that, yes, the controllers. You have your hands, weapons, dildo, actually tracked in 3D space, so you can interact with things just like in real life (assuming the game lets you). In one sports game I played, I went over to another player and we fist bumped each other. Fucking surreal man.

Last, you have an order of a magnitude difference in rendering / processing power between mobile "VR" (like the Gear) and these more expensive sets. So instead of your games looking like shitty mobile apps running at an inconsistent framerate, you have AAA quality visuals that rival regular 2D games and run at 90 frames per second LOCKED.

the only similarity is that the display/lense clarity are comparable. But that's like saying you have to wear the same slightly fuzzy glasses to play your Atari games and your PC games.

does that help?

Ah okay. Yeah it does. Thanks! Just waiting for it to ship now. Amazon says around the 18th. I'm super excited for it and I have a pretty decent pc (i7 with GeForce 1080) so I'm hoping the games look good. Looking forward to Robo Recall and some others. I get vertigo pretty easily, but I'm hoping to still be able to play some games lol.

Edit: Well I guess my shipping estimate was only for the touch controllers. My Rift hasn't shipped yet. Dam :(

Is there a list of recommended experiences for the Rift to show someone who wouldn't be interested in playing games, but things more like The Deep on PSVR?

vanfanel1car

Neo Member

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm reading a bit about the weird exclusivity situation between the vive and rift. Generally speaking, I can get vive games to work on the rift?

I really, really want Doom FVR and apparently it's vive exclusive

edit: can someone link me to a good 2-sensor roomscale setup? is that even a thing?

enewtabie

I unboxed mine and hooked it up. Had to call my wife in the room to look at it . Never used VR before and it's impressive. Text isn't super sharp or anything. Could be my eyes. Controllers are coming tomorrow so hopefully get into some games . Great purchase.

Weevilone

I've officially moved from "damn, glad I got in on this" to annoyed that it's going to take so long to arrive.

Wish there were some good deals on the Vive, but this will have to do.

sfried

Any other AMD GPU users here? How's performance on your end?

R9 Nano owner here with Core i7-6700k. So far, the only hickup I've ever encountered was the fact that, for some reason, one of my monitors in my triple-monitor setup would stop being detected (far right one), and my PC would act as if only two monitors would exist at a time. I've done a couple of experiments, but might need to do even more research as I try it out again. VR performance, after the laborious callibration/setup, now work perfectly.

I wish Oculus Touch was a standard input in al VR games. I hate the fact that Eve Valkyrie insists you use an XBox 360 controller, which is archaic compared to a HOTAS or Touch.

Had a fail during set up. Didn't do my homework. I have a 970 with one hdmi out and 3 display port outs. I got to the part when you need to have both hooked up. Guess I'm taking a trip to buy a display port to hdmi cable tomorrow. Bummer. For now it remains physically hooked up and useless. Sucks because tomorrow will be super busy all through the weekend.

Any sense in getting this if I have a fairly old pc and a psvr?

My CPU is an i7-870 and my gpu is a nvidia 970.

A 970 is still a good card, the CPU is starting to show it's age, but it's still better than what you get in a console. Just depends on if you like games you see.

longdi

Banned
I unboxed mine and hooked it up. Had to call my wife in the room to look at it . Never used VR before and it's impressive. Text isn't super sharp or anything. Could be my eyes. Controllers are coming tomorrow so hopefully get into some games . Great purchase.

for a month, 2 at most

J/k , but that's the most common feedback i seen. Then you will have to find space to chug the huge headset and all.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Is there a list of recommended experiences for the Rift to show someone who wouldn't be interested in playing games, but things more like The Deep on PSVR?

TheBlu is a VR app with 3 experiences, each lasting as long as The Deep

Games like Echo Arena and Climbey are so fucking cool

Unfortunately, I keep hitting my ceiling fan when I play them. Not really sure how to avoid that.

CodeNfX

i hope VR games get some sales soon to take advantage of this price drop

I really wished the steam sale is this week. Never thought I'd own VR this early, I was planning on waiting until at least the 2nd gen but this deal was too good to pass up. Now I gotta play the waiting game of steam VR sales.

GeoGonzo

Another VR experience worth checking out would be the short “Pearl”, which I believe is free on Viveport (and as pretty much everything there works just fine on an Oculus Rift).

Compsiox

Banned
I really wished the steam sale is this week. Never thought I'd own VR this early, I was planning on waiting until at least the 2nd gen but this deal was too good to pass up. Now I gotta play the waiting game of steam VR sales.

None of them dropped more than a few dollars anyway.

Supposedly Space Engine works in VR aswell, I have not tried it in VR myself and doubt it will perform as good as Titans of Space 2 and Discovering Space 2 or have the options of them (especially not the options of Universe Sandbox 2) to go along with that performance but it's free and simulating the entire universe and I rarely ever see it mentioned in VR threads.

Mascot

for a month, 2 at most

J/k , but that's the most common feedback i seen. Then you will have to find space to chug the huge headset and all.

I desperately need to know if this applies to people who primarily use it for cockpit-based sim racing, as I would. I can imagine the novelty soon wearing off for a lot of the flappy-arm 'gimmick' games I've seen, but VR seems like such a natural fit for sim racing I still need to know how many sim racers stuck with it or went back to 2D displays.

sonto340

As someone who wears glasses and runs into a little bit of trouble with the PSVR (light bleed from underneath) how comfortable is a rift in that regard?

Dezzy

I'm reading a bit about the weird exclusivity situation between the vive and rift. Generally speaking, I can get vive games to work on the rift?

I really, really want Doom FVR and apparently it's vive exclusive

Any game I've tried that was intended for Vive only still worked on the Rift.(there might be some that don't, but I'm not sure.) It might show Vive controllers in the in-game maunal but at least in the games I tried, Touch still worked. I honestly doubt games like Doom, Fallout and Skyrim VR would not work with the Rift, even if they don't advertise it. VR isn't huge and every sale matters.

Cleve

As someone who wears glasses and runs into a little bit of trouble with the PSVR (light bleed from underneath) how comfortable is a rift in that regard?

From my short experience, the rift is a pain to put on with glasses, or adjust in general. There's definite light bleed around the bottom of my nose, but it doesn't bother me that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom