• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who wears glasses and runs into a little bit of trouble with the PSVR (light bleed from underneath) how comfortable is a rift in that regard?

Round small frames are okay, square frames are a pain. I cant wear the Rift for longer than 15-20 minutes with my glasses, because the rift pushes the frame onto my face. I can loosen the straps, but you loose clarity/get a smaller FOV like that and it feels too loose.

Imur

I tried to get an overview and found a lot of interesting games (for me). The only Problem: they will cost as much as the device =(

1. The Climb - 49,99 EUR
  2. Rock Band VR - 49,99 EUR (plus Guitar)
  3. Edge of Nowhere - 39,99 EUR
  4. The Mage's Tale - 39,99 EUR
  5. Chronos - 39,99 EUR
  6. Wilson's Heart - 39,99 EUR
  7. Arizona Sunshine - 39,99 EUR
  8. Lone Echo- 39,99 EUR
  9. Raw Data - 36,99 EUR
  10. Landfall - 29,99 EUR
  11. Elite Dangerous - 24,99 EUR
  12. I Expect You To Die - 24,99 EUR
  13. Superhot VR - 22,99 EUR
  14. Batman Arkham VR - 19,99 EUR
  15. Form - 19,99 EUR
  16. Audioshield - 19,99 EUR
  17. Thumper - 19,99 EUR
  18. Carpe Lucem - 14,99 EUR
  19. Esper 2 - 9,99 EUR
  20. Climbey - 9,99 EUR
  21. TheBlu - 9,99 EUR
  22. Robo Recall - included
  23. Luckys Tale - included

Did I miss something important?

I need serious Sales =(

Izuna

Banned
I have only played a few titles but I would recommend the following:

- Bigscreen
- Rec Room
- Landfall (co-op campaign is good)
- TITAN SLAYER if you like Arcade rail-shooters with a VR twist
- DeoVR ;)
- Elite Dangerous

I tried to get an overview and found a lot of interesting games (for me). The only Problem: they will cost as much as the device =(

1. The Climb - 49,99 EUR
  5. Chronos - 39,99 EUR
  6. Raw Data - 36,99 EUR
  7. Elite Dangerous - 24,99 EUR
  8. Batman Arkham VR - 19,99 EUR
  9. Form - 19,99 EUR
  10. Audioshield - 19,99 EUR
  11. Thumper - 19,99 EUR
  12. Carpe Lucem - 14,99 EUR
  13. Esper 2 - 9,99 EUR
  14. Climbey - 9,99 EUR
  15. TheBlu - 9,99 EUR
  16. Robo Recall - included
  17. Luckys Tale - included

I need serious Sales =(

You're missing the very best VR game released so far - Superhot VR.

Imur

You're missing the very best VR game released so far - Superhot VR.

Thats because I already own and finished the normal Game. It's the same game "just" in VR right? It's kinda expensive and only 20% discount if you own the original.

I have only played a few titles but I would recommend the following:

- Bigscreen
- Rec Room
- Landfall (co-op campaign is good)
- TITAN SLAYER if you like Arcade rail-shooters with a VR twist
- DeoVR ;)
- Elite Dangerous

I forgot about Landfall, thank you. I already have Deo and Bigscreen. Titan Slayer could be fun, too

artsi

Is there a better music game than Audioshield yet? I didn't like it with Vive as the beats felt they didn't really match the music.

I'd like something more precise like Osu, Stepmania etc.

vermadas

Thats because I already own and finished the normal Game. It's the same game "just" in VR right? It's kinda expensive and only 20% discount if you own the original.

It's a different campaign. Kinda short, but totally worth it.

Is there a better music game than Audioshield yet? I didn't like it with Vive as the beats felt they didn't really match the music.

Heard good things about Airtone.

Heard good things about Airtone and I've played a lot of Soundboxing (was recently hit with an update bug/saving, hope that gets patched soon) which has user created beatmaps that are hit and miss, mostly they are hit tho.

(I still prefer Audioshield even with the algorithm created beat maps, have played that over 100 hours already, it can be more of a dance/fitness game than a beat matching game)

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I grabbed the extra USB 3.0 card. Big motherboard, and I'm using pretty much all my USB already including like an 8 port hub for 2.0 stuff. I *think* I'm ok with the HDMI. I'm using a displayport for my main monitor on my GTX 1080. Then I have a DVI on there as well, and another DVI going to another video card that is just there to drive the third monitor. I'll figure it out when it all gets here next week. My computer might be due for a teardown/cleaning/rebuild anyway.

Planning to hit up Elite in VR first. I have played a ton of it with head tracking so I'm interested to see how much it adds to the experience. And then probably that robot shooting game that everyone is raving about because of the Touch controllers.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

1. The Climb - 49,99 EUR
  5. Chronos - 39,99 EUR
  6. Raw Data - 36,99 EUR
  7. Landfall - 29,99 EUR
  8. Elite Dangerous - 24,99 EUR
  9. Superhot VR - 22,99 EUR
  10. Batman Arkham VR - 19,99 EUR
  11. Form - 19,99 EUR
  12. Audioshield - 19,99 EUR
  13. Thumper - 19,99 EUR
  14. Carpe Lucem - 14,99 EUR
  15. Esper 2 - 9,99 EUR
  16. Climbey - 9,99 EUR
  17. TheBlu - 9,99 EUR
  18. Robo Recall - included
  19. Luckys Tale - included

I need serious Sales =(

This is a very great list.

1. The Climb - 49,99 EUR
  5. Chronos - 39,99 EUR
  6. Raw Data - 36,99 EUR
  7. Landfall - 29,99 EUR
  11. Form - 19,99 EUR
  13. Thumper - 19,99 EUR
  15. Esper 2 - 9,99 EUR
  16. Climbey - 9,99 EUR
  17. TheBlu - 9,99 EUR

I need serious Sales =(

Oculus literally JUST had a sale on almost all of those games.

My motherboard is an MSI z97 PC mate, will this work with occulus as far as USB goes?
If you are looking to use room scale you will need one hdmi and 1 3.0 usb for the headset, two 3.0 usb for two of the sensors, and then 1 2.0 usb for the third sensor.

If you are looking just for 360 tracking you will need one less usb.

I'm reading a bit about the weird exclusivity situation between the vive and rift. Generally speaking, I can get vive games to work on the rift?

I really, really want Doom FVR and apparently it's vive exclusive

edit: can someone link me to a good 2-sensor roomscale setup? is that even a thing?

You need 3 sensors for roomscale. 2 only tracks 360. most vive games on steam works on the rift with touch.

I was happy with just my PSVR. Why did this have to happen...

Help me be strong, guys.

Give in to the VR world. I have both and enjoy both of them. At this price it's really a no brainer. You get a headset, two sensors, an xbox one controller with wireless adapter, two touch controllers and like over 10 games for free for $399. I wish i waited for this but still happy with my set.

Soi-Fong

1. The Climb - 49,99 EUR
  5. Chronos - 39,99 EUR
  6. Raw Data - 36,99 EUR
  7. Landfall - 29,99 EUR
  11. Form - 19,99 EUR
  13. Thumper - 19,99 EUR
  15. Esper 2 - 9,99 EUR
  16. Climbey - 9,99 EUR
  17. TheBlu - 9,99 EUR

I need serious Sales =(

You're missing Wilson's Heart in there... :p And people say VR has no games.. lol

1. The Climb - 49,99 EUR

I need serious Sales =(

I would pass on the climb. That's too much for something too one note. Personally rockband vr as well. That's 100 euros saved. I recommend space pirate trainer, job simulator, accounting and rick and morty vr if you like the show.

Check out GB's vrodeo where they showcase a lot of these vr games.

I would pass on the climb. That's too much for something too one note. Personally rockband vr as well. That's 100 euros saved. I recommend space pirate trainer, job simulator, accounting and rick and morty vr if you like the show.

Check out GB's vrodeo where they showcase a lot of these vr games.

I'd pass on Space Pirate Trainer. It doesn't do anything that you can't get from the free Bullet Train, or Robo Recall.

I got it @ $15, and felt soooooooo ripped off.

(But...you could always get it and then ask for a steam refund if you don't like it.)

I'd pass on Space Pirate Trainer. It doesn't do anything that you can't get from the free Bullet Train, or Robo Recall.

I got it @ $15, and felt soooooooo ripped off.

(But...you could always get it and then ask for a steam refund if you don't like it.)

Nahhhh, its good. Its like a vr galaga.

chinoXL

How's Eve Valkryie? I have the House of the Sun game just need my touch controller arriving today.

i'll let you know tonight if no one answers you. just picked mine up last night from BestBuy...I gotta admit, this VR is crazy!!! i'm running on an i7 6700k with a gtx 1080 and so far so good. i played Lucky's Tale and Robo Recall so far. definitely worth the money!!

Ah that's probably why, I haven't played a game where I have to jump yet.

I'm tall enough and my ceiling is low enough that I have on multiple occasions accidentally stuck my hand into the running ceiling fan when changing my shirt in the bedroom. No jumping for me.

renzolama

This is me trying to hide this purchase from my wife every day when she gets home from work:

XCChATy.png

I think I need to read one of the fitting guides

Edit: It's not actually me in that picture, that's just what my face looks like in general

Zalusithix

1. The Climb - 49,99 EUR
  5. Chronos - 39,99 EUR
  6. Raw Data - 36,99 EUR
  7. Landfall - 29,99 EUR
  11. Form - 19,99 EUR
  13. Thumper - 19,99 EUR
  15. Esper 2 - 9,99 EUR
  16. Climbey - 9,99 EUR
  17. TheBlu - 9,99 EUR

I need serious Sales =(

If you can handle movement - Sairento. Honestly I could add like a dozen games to that list for various genres, but I'll leave it at that one.

jrcbandit

So is Apollo 11 experience worth it, both of my parents worked at NASA during the actual mission so I wanted to get it so they could play it.

Going to limit myself to just a few games initially. Definitely getting Superhot VR and I already bought a semi replacement for Rush of Blood, Ghost Town Mine Ride and Shooting Gallery. My final game (until some sort of sale) will be something from Oculus store, either Chronos or A Mage's Tale. Which RPG is better?

I also have a cheap Thrustmaster HOTAS collecting dust in a closet, is it time to get it out for Eve Valkyrie? Got that free with BB deal.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
So is Apollo 11 experience worth it, both of my parents worked at NASA during the actual mission so I wanted to get it so they could play it.

It's more of a cinematic experience than a game but it looks perfect for your parents. It's a must try for anyone interested in NASA/space. There's also Mission:ISS which is free and right up their alley but you may need a hardened stomach to make it through that without feeling sick. But definitely get Apollo 11.

I can't think of a better reason to get this game than in your case... unless your parents hated their job lol

Iirc one run of the "game" is about 45 minutes and you can decide to just sit back and watch, or actually do some of the things in the game like rotating/flying the orbiter and lander... I think it's better to just let them play/watch it passively than to give them controls because it can ruin the first impression a bit if they don't get it done right for the first time.

Effect

How does the eve valkyrie code come? Something you have to remove to reveal the code? Wondering if there will be an issue returning to Best Buy if I decide to order this before the sale ends. I've always wanted to try this out and $400 is a more do able price then the normal.

Also how does VR look for full feature games? I know Fallout and Skyrim are getting VR ports. I have Elite Dangerous I can try this on. Other bigger games?

How does the eve valkyrie code come? Something you have to remove to reveal the code? Wondering if there will be an issue returning to Best Buy if I decide to order this before the sale ends. I've always wanted to try this out and $400 is a more do able price then the normal.

Also how does VR look for full feature games? I know Fallout and Skyrim are getting VR ports. I have Elite Dangerous I can try this on. Other bigger games?
I think somebody mentioned it was a code printed on the receipt.

Izuna

Banned
This is me trying to hide this purchase from my wife every day when she gets home from work:

XCChATy.png

I think I need to read one of the fitting guides

Edit: It's not actually me in that picture, that's just what my face looks like in general

Bad blood circulation lol

Effect

I think somebody mentioned it was a code printed on the receipt.

Thanks. I just ordered it from Best Buy. Should be here Saturday as it wasn't for pick up at my local store. So guessing it will be emailed to me then if it's printed on the reciept. If I have to unfortunately eat the cost of game if it gets returned then oh well. Been wanting to try this out for a long time now. $399 down from the normal $599 is to hard to pass up and I can use it with some existing stuff I think. Curious if the experience will make me keep it.

So what is the best way to mount the sensors on top of a monitor?

I've been looking around for a monitor mount that has the right threading but can't find anything.

I have two ways of mounting them that I can think of.

One is on top of the monitor (similar to how a webcam or TrackIR mounts. Just a bracket that clips over the top of the monitor and has a piece that rests against the bottom with gravity holding it on.

The other is with some sort of adhesive mount. I'd rather avoid this if I can.

The other option I have is mount them off the monitor rails on my Erogotech monitor stand but I can't think of a good way to do that. Ergotech doesn't sell any of the mounting clips just by themselves.

Thanks. I just ordered it from Best Buy. Should be here Saturday as it wasn't for pick up at my local store. So guessing it will be emailed to me then if it's printed on the reciept. If I have to unfortunately eat the cost of game if it gets returned then oh well. Been wanting to try this out for a long time now. $399 down from the normal $599 is to hard to pass up and I can use it with some existing stuff I think. Curious if the experience will make me keep it.

I picked mine up at my store earlier this week and they still emailed me the code for Eve.

Edit: I just went back and looked and they emailed it to me right after I ordered which was a full day before I picked it up.

Imur

If you can handle movement - Sairento. Honestly I could add like a dozen games to that list for various genres, but I'll leave it at that one.

I am not sure. I would love to play Subnautica too, but I have problems with motion Sickness even in some normal shooters. I am afraid that will be a problem.

btw: Doesnt the Oculus Store have a wishlist?

tbhysgb

Damnit it's a tempting price but my gpu is a gtx 670

Not worth bothering huh? I'll definitely be in around gen 2 with a new computer build :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom