• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of course Jaffe is complaining about Astro Bot

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Jaffe continues to fascinate... Some of these levels are tricky, others I managed to do on my first attempt like this one:

The weird thing about his clip is where he's dying, should be easy as pie. The difficulty of the game is *perfectly* balanced, the extra challenge is their for those who want it in the bonus levels while the main levels flow smoothly, there is no tedium, there is no frustration, it's wonder, whimsy and joy from beginning to end.

near

Gold Member
He praises the game then offers a minor critic from a game design perspective. Your suggestion is he puts the controller down because he’s bad at video games, it sounds like you’re the high one here.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
He praises the game then offers a minor critic from a game design perspective. Your suggestion is he puts the controller down because he’s bad at video games, it sounds like you’re the high one here.
WOSVsiT.jpeg

Nobody here is choosing his video titles, he is. “Astro, You Too Hard!” Is trolling for clicks. He should absolutely be able to do that and say what he wants. People are just giving him shit… because he is not making a great point period. No, not all games need difficulty modes to be accessible to a wide group of gamers and sell to a large and diverse audience.

Kids I am not worried about as with a bit of practice have better hand-eye coordination and faster reflexes than many adults.

As a veteran game designer with some Big titles under his belt, he should know better (he does, which pisses people off even more I guess).

Shubh_C63

Value proposition of a game is subjective obviously.

For some, the 'optional' stuff is not seen as optional if they feel the Main courses wasn't worth 60$.
Just let a 60 Year old guy have his opinion. I am sure Developer did not take old people's skill set into mind while making game to earn money.

TrueLegend

He is more amazing than all of you combined. That's just clickbait thumbnail which is the way of YouTube, he is not shitting on game. Infact he is pointing out a thing that may make kids stuck in the game.

Atrus

Gold Member
I don’t necessarily see the feedback as negative.

It’s a game featuring a Sony mascot selling famous Sony IP’s and is rated E10+.

They might as well patch in some options for disabled gamers to play through, maybe something to slow down time on a toggle or an auto-play mode. With the disability options they can reach out to a larger audience and build the brand, maybe get some positive press for it.

Zathalus

That particular level was a bit frustrating I’ll admit. Nothing that couldn’t be solved by repetition and learning the level though.

MacReady13

I mean, some of those special levels are really bloody tough! I’m not asking for an easy level selector for this game at all, but the game in those particular levels is pretty tough.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
He is more amazing than all of you combined. That's just clickbait thumbnail which is the way of YouTube, he is not shitting on game. Infact he is pointing out a thing that may make kids stuck in the game.
Kids are likely to have far less trouble than many adults lol… Might need to play the level more than once and learn it, but you are right, who wants to encourage kids or anyone to learn and overcome whatever little difficulty comes their way? :LOL: .

Clickbait thumbnail chosen by the author, f-the way of YouTube from the same group of people screeching about misinformation and grifters online (one rule for me, one rule for thee…).

TrueLegend

Y
Kids are likely to have far less trouble than many adults lol… Might need to play the level more than once and learn it, but you are right, who wants to encourage kids or anyone to learn and overcome whatever little difficulty comes their way? :LOL: .

Clickbait thumbnail chosen by the author, f-the way of YouTube from the same group of people screeching about misinformation and grifters online (one rule for me, one rule for thee…).
You typed all that while being subscribed to channel who do that, ..and calling us out.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Y

You typed all that while being subscribed to channel who do that, ..and calling us out.
I

I am not subbed to that channel :D (took a screenshot of the thumbnail in the OP, yeah you can do it on tablets comfortably too).
Two very short paragraphs are suddenly “all that” huh? Mate, you are calling yourself out :p.

TrueLegend

I

I am not subbed to that channel :D (took a screenshot of the thumbnail in the OP, yeah you can do it on tablets comfortably too).
Two very short paragraphs are suddenly “all that” huh? Mate, you are calling yourself out :p.
I am not saying you are subscribed to that channel...read it again.

Last edited:

peter42O

Neo Member
Oh damn, I just completed that triangle course a few hours ago. Died 10+ times. It's not extremely difficult but there are one or two parts of the course where you have to be near perfect and not hold down the X button when jumping because it breaks the glass underneath you and you will fall to your death. I like Jaffe and agree/disagree with him is 50/50 but he's got the camera way too high up and he's trying to zoom through the course. There's no time limit in any course in Astro Bot as far as im aware including this one so why he's trying to speed run it is beyond me.

I will say that at least two, maybe three of the four triangle courses I played and completed are definitely harder than any course in the first two worlds because you're timing has to be near perfect and there's a few things happening at once that you need to avoid in order to pass the course. With that all said, it's not impossible and I rarely if ever play through 3D platformers. Rift Apart is the only other one I played and I did complete it but that's arguably more of an action adventure game than a platformer.

Jaffe probably just needs to take a break for a few hours or a day and then go back to it refreshed.

Last edited:

Hudo

On one hand, the guy is responsible for establishing the good God of War formula, before Santa Monica fucked it up. On the other hand, the guy is fucking cringe.

near

Gold Member
WOSVsiT.jpeg

Nobody here is choosing his video titles, he is. “Astro, You Too Hard!” Is trolling for clicks. He should absolutely be able to do that and say what he wants. People are just giving him shit… because he is not making a great point period. No, not all games need difficulty modes to be accessible to a wide group of gamers and sell to a large and diverse audience.

Kids I am not worried about as with a bit of practice have better hand-eye coordination and faster reflexes than many adults.

As a veteran game designer with some Big titles under his belt, he should know better (he does, which pisses people off even more I guess).
The title of he’s video is “Astro Bot can be annoyingly hard! Need difficulty mode!?!” He is simply opening a discussion on whether it needs it. He makes a couple interesting points that beg the question. He’s point does not have to be great to be valid. Sure the thumbnail is clickbait, but whose videos aren’t?

He acknowledges the fact that he should simply get good, he acknowledges the fact that the challenging part he is engaged with is a bonus course. All he is probing is if the game design encourages you to engage with it additional content via its check lists and collectables, he at least wants it to be teetering on the edge of challenging but not frustrating. When a game isn’t designed to be a dark souls and is essentially a mainstream casual platformer, it should be more accessible, and adding a difficulty setting enables that. Absolutely nothing wrong with the point he makes.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Those challenge levels are completely optional, they meant to give decent challenge for people who want it.

Also he should lucky that its not timed like it was in Kirby the Forgotten Land.

Ponderling

He should turn the stream off and concentrate a little more.
Game looks so much fun, my hands WANT to hold a controller every time I see it.

Branded

I don't dislike the guy per se but man... Jaffe is the type of player they made SBMM in CoD for lol.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
He is entitled to his opinion but spreading it and giving him the attention he probably is looking for would be the last thing I would want to do especially when opinion is something that I don't necessarily agree with. And I'm a fan of the stuff he did early in his career but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he's doing now. One thing I'm not going to do though is make a threat about it to continue to draw attention to him. I'll watch him passively and just resist that urge like a crack addict to make a threat about it.

On a separate but similar note, I think he is one of those people that does deserve one of those consolidated threads instead of a new thread for every stupid video he makes.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
I can’t be arsed to watch his video, but I will say that some of the levels in the game are seriously tricky. I reached the end of a few of them wondering how the fuck I actually made it. 😂

But, they are all doable with a bit of the old muscle memory engaged, a dollop of skill, and a sprinkle of luck. They’re perfectly judged tbh.

Hunnybun

I mean, some of those special levels are really bloody tough! I’m not asking for an easy level selector for this game at all, but the game in those particular levels is pretty tough.

Yeah a lot of them are really tricky. The worst one is that one where you have to use a rubber duck to spray lava to make a path. I had to give up and move on in the end. It felt much more random than most of the others, where at least you can just learn the route exactly.

DragonNCM

Near perfect game that is fairly easy and he is complaining because he can't beat a moderately easy stage and thus can't get a gold flag. He literally is asking for a participation trophy. The part where he dies is absolutely not an area where 99% of people would die after reaching.

This man is so sad and his obsessions with slightly Sony any chance he gets is beyond tiresome. I know that I'm giving him more views by posting this, but I just had to vent. This man is sad. This is worse than his Metroid Dread commentary. He just isn't good at video games and maybe needs to put down the sticks or maybe smoke less weed, IDK, but this is sad.

Old ass with reflexes like dead horse............eye>>>>mind>>>>hand coordination lags 2s.
DONT PLAY this type of games in your 50's if your reflexes are like this....don't humiliate yourself in front of the all world.

Top Bottom