• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of course Jaffe is complaining about Astro Bot

oOic3Vv.png
I actually want to know why Elden Ring being hard is different from Astrobot being hard. I legitimately can't think of a reason why.

hinch7

I’m in my early 40s and just platinum’d it. There were like 3 or 4 hard “run” challenges that I got stuck on for maybe 10 - 20 mins that felt really rewarding when I was able to finally complete it. Regardless, it was an amazing game. Jaffe is just being a little bitch like he was with Metroid Dread.
There's only one that was kind of BS with the volcanic one but other than that.. the challenge levels have been fairly, well fair and good difficulty for a hard level.

Last edited:
Again, that you don't know that you're the one being obtuse here says a lot.

Celeste is essentially an 8 bit platformer. They can more easily adjust the difficulty because they can create different maps.

Cuphead is an action platformer that CAN have different enemy health and player health.

That you don't understand the fundamental differences in design for these games is astounding.
So we moved the goal from show me where they done this to sure they did it, but they can't know cause....

To argue in any way that they couldn't add difficulty modes of some kind of Astrobot is utter fucking nonsense. If you actually argued from the position that you probably don't want them, I'd be fine with. But this? I'm not wasting anymore time with someone who just wants to be disingenuous.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
So we moved the goal from show me where they done this to sure they did it, but they can't know cause....

To argue in any way that they couldn't add difficulty modes of some kind of Astrobot is utter fucking nonsense. If you actually argued from the position that you probably don't want them, I'd be fine with. But this? I'm not wasting anymore time with someone who just wants to be disingenuous.

Walk us through difficulty modes in Astro Bot.

wvnative

as a disabled gamer I was pissed at his tweet where he fucking cried about motion controls, only to get ratio'd by everyone pointing out that you can disable them, then he snapped back that it was the game's failure for not telling him it was an option...

You were a fucking a game dev and you couldn't check the damn options menu before going on a stupid ass twitter tirade? The guy in general has always come off as a brat and an ass. You not checking for options is your fault, not the games'.

Now, this perfectly able bodied asshole is crying about difficulty. The game is far easier than the old god of war games outside some special challenges that are optional.

Kinda sick of this dude tbh.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just did that level, first try easy.

Does he not know about double jump floating, or that you can kill enemies using it (or in this case incapacitate, after which you can kill them)?

Ivan

I love Jaffe, but he plays like an absolute amateur 😅. Like my dad would play if he took a controller for the first time.

I don't get it, ha was a game developer ffs 😅.

Still love Jaffe.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't get it, ha was a game developer ffs 😅.
You would be surprised how many devs out there who actually not good playing games.

I think Miyazaki himself not good playing games even tho he makes one of the toughest games out there.

The difference is you do t Miyazaki going to social media complaining about other people’s games being too difficult.

Zathalus

Your character can take multiple hits from enemies before dying. Multiple hits from environmental damage that is not meant to one shot you. Or additional checkpoints on the challenge levels.

I’ve finished the game myself, but it’s not that hard to think of ways to make it easier. Not that I personally think Astro Bot needs it.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Your character can take multiple hits from enemies before dying. Multiple hits from environmental damage that is not meant to one shot you. Or additional checkpoints on the challenge levels.

I’ve finished the game myself, but it’s not that hard to think of ways to make it easier. Not that I personally think Astro Bot needs it.

The part that jaffe is complaining about is not making a normal gaming jump. So taking multiple hits isn't going to fix that.

Just remember this is the same guy who admitted to chasing a 10 year old because God of War 3 got a special 7/11 slushy flavor that 1 & 2 didn't
What?! I must of missed that story. He was out of Santa Monica working on Twisted metal (PS3) when GOW3 came out. Why would he care. GOW3 was in the same vein of the first two.

I like Jaffe. He is ecentric and unpridictbale. I don't like his politics or some of his views, but he at least will converse with people all the time. He also was the creative director of some amazing games, GOW1 being the pinnacle of his career.

As for Astrobot, I love it. Thing is he is allowed to have an opinion on difficulty. Dude is in his late 50s or 60s by now. I am sure his reflexes are decreased. Why does him expressing his opinion affect some of you so vehemently that you throw insults at the man?

I don't think the game needs difficulty slider, shit i thought it was easy having unlimited continues and checkboxes. Games back in the day gave you 3 lives and 3 continues. You got hit once or twice and lost a life. Shit was hard. I don't want to go back to that, but what this game did was great. That being said, Jaffe can express the views of an old man how he wants. He's earned it. Still don't understand how some of you shit on people for having contrarian views. Similar to that purple site over there.

Last edited:
I'm sure tons of people will die at the jump he died at. Most of them won't be trying to talk to the audience either.

His opinion on the game is just as valid as anyone elses. Stop trying to deify a piece of software my guy.
Holy shit, the world is ending. I actually agree with you on something... lol I Love the game, but dude is entitled to express his opinion of it.

Last edited:

Krathoon

David Jaffe is really bad about jumping to wrong conclusions.

He was saying the Star Wars Outlaws was bad because he did not understand how to use Nix on the stealth sections.

MacReady13

Sony Ponies been so used to walking sections in their cinematic games that they find an easy ass platforming game like AstroBot difficult. God help these people if they ever play a Mario game.
Funnily enough, actually paying for games to OWN them means that us people who have Playstations tend to play and FINISH games we own, unlike Xbox fanboys who have 200+ games to rent and barely finish anything they start.

Sojiro

I think the closest thing you could do would be like the Golden Leaf power up (granted invincibility, but you still die in pits) that would show up in Mario 3D Land, 3D world, and NSMB2 after you died a number of times on a level. I fucking hated when that thing shows up, it's almost a condescending reminder of "Hey you look like you need this because you suck" and takes away from the challenge of doing it yourself.

The funny this is, he starts by acknowledging that its a bonus/challenge level, which is completely optional, but is compelled to keep trying and getting frustrated because the game shows you the progress of what you have missed. So just because it shows he is missing X number out of Y to whatever collectable it's an issue, and he just can't help but to continue to throw himself at these levels getting more and more frustrated.

I guess people like Jaffe are why the White Tanooki suits exist in the Mario games. That shit is a crutch for people who don't want to take the time to invest into a game, learn it, and overcome the obstacles they come across. I might have given him some slack on this if this was preventing him from continuing the game, but it's optional, and for the people who want that extra challenge and are after completing everything 🙄. And here people were saying Astro Bot was a baby game lol.

hinch7

Lol just one shot that level he was having difficulty with. I'm hardly the best gamer but that was one of the easiest challenges I've come across.

Can't imagine him trying the Volcano level. That one requires crazy timing and a bit of luck.

Last edited:

midnightAI

As for Astrobot, I love it. Thing is he is allowed to have an opinion on difficulty. Dude is in his late 50s or 60s by now. I am sure his reflexes are decreased. Why does him expressing his opinion affect some of you so vehemently that you throw insults at the man?
He's 53, one year older than me, he's just bad at games, that level isn't particularly hard, I had a tougher time with the third construction level thing where you have to remove the floor with your hover beam to get rid of the three bells. I never feel hard done by with the game though, any deaths are my fault for mistiming something and in general it's an easy game.

If they were to put in difficulty options then the current mode is easy mode, I'd want an option to have maybe 3 lives per level (regular levels, challenge levels are already one life) to make it harder.

He's 53, one year older than me, he's just bad at games, that level isn't particularly hard, I had a tougher time with the third construction level thing where you have to remove the floor with your hover beam to get rid of the three bells. I never feel hard done by with the game though, any deaths are my fault for mistiming something and in general it's an easy game.

If they were to put in difficulty options then the current mode is easy mode, I'd want an option to have maybe 3 lives per level (regular levels, challenge levels are already one life) to make it harder.
I could get behind that. Different difficulty options or a new game plus (does it even have that? I haven't beaten it yet). Make an old school mode like you said with lives, get a new life after every so many coins. Even mario games don't really do lives anymore as you get so many it doesn't matter.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Watching him play I'm convinced he either lacks any hand-eye coordination such that games are simply not for him, or that it's a bit and a grift.

No one is this bad.
I don't understand this line of thinking. Critiques aren't this radioactive object that can't be touched. You can critique a critique if it seems poorly thought out.

Muffdraul

I did all four of the triangle void levels. I did all four of the circle void levels. I did three of the square void levels, but I gave up on the last one, where you have to squirt water on lava at the beginning. The previous ones made me sweat, but this one is just fucking bullshit. IMO, there should have been some special bonus reward for doing all the HAM void levels, not just rescuable bots out of the base group of 300. But whatever, I'm not so butthurt that I'd make a crybaby video about it and embarrass myself on youtube.

EDIT: watched the video, lol-ing that Jaffe got stuck on that ridiculously easy void level (relatively speaking.) I totally assumed he'd be boo-hooing about the rubber duck/lava level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom