• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Offical NBA2K9 GAF Season 7 Thread of High Hopes

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I say we create the league now and get people joined in so it doesnt take forever like it did with this season

im cool to start the league now but we still dont know what method we will use to select teams, so once that is decided upon i suppose we could create it.

smokey?

Smokey

FrenchMovieTheme said:
im cool to start the league now but we still dont know what method we will use to select teams, so once that is decided upon i suppose we could create it.

smokey?

I still don't know how many people I want season 8 to be. I do want it to be smaller, but I don't know a number yet...

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
CB3 said:
Fuck Nash

That shot at the last game where you were winding down the clock and took like a 38 footer to avoid the shot clock violation and drained it was the most BS Shit ive seen in my life:lol :lol :lol

I literally just dropped the controller on the floor and walked away

DMczaf said:
I didn't even shoot the ball right, I just quickly pressed the shoot button to get it off my hands :lol

That's NBA2K9 basketball at it's finest.

Live 10. Believe.

Bishman

Never realized how fun NBA 2K9 is until I played a lot of games with my friends.

Buying the game tomorrow.

When does the new league start?

I call Dallas / Lakers.

Smokey

hmm..i think i may keep the bobcats.

bell slides in for redd just fine, and now they have radmonivich at the 4 along w/ boris diaw so there's plenty of shooting power there...

and pheeniks you trip me out man:lol

Smokey said:
hmm..i think i may keep the bobcats.

bell slides in for redd just fine, and now they have radmonivich at the 4 along w/ boris diaw so there's plenty of shooting power there...

and pheeniks you trip me out man:lol

I demand that you post your sliders.

How the hell does Felton grab a rebound over two big men? That's just fucking silly. Half the time my players stand around and watch and do dumb shit, while yours are all hustle and somehow come up with the right play every time even when you don't control them.

CB3

my favorite is when i shoot a 3 that misses but lets say Pau is in perfect position to grab the offensive board. So instead the ball magically bounces over the backboard out of bounds.

It cracks me up cause ill call it as soon as the ball leaves my shooters hands

Smokey said:

oh you heard me, i want your team sliders.

i thought to myself, in order to beat you, i need to take care of the ball and get JO going

first play of the game, moon decides to catch the ball OUT of bounds

Smokey

ph33nix said:
oh you heard me, i want your team sliders.

i thought to myself, in order to beat you, i need to take care of the ball and get JO going

first play of the game, moon decides to catch the ball OUT of bounds

have you ever seen me adjust sliders..i think not.

and i knew that was going to happen. i watched it. wallace was clearly denying moon the ball and moon was close to the sideline already. you threw it to him, he took the step away from wallace (because he was denying him)..which made him step out.

ph33nix said:
well see that's the difference between you and me. you know when players will do dumb things somehow. i sometimes watch this and expect it to unfold like a real game but no sometimes my players are dumbasses and make bounce passes when they shouldn't. or they'll stand like zombies

It happens to me too...we play the same game afterall:lol .

I think Birdman and I are going to start out series this weekend..what about the rest of you (blazers/suns, hawks/lakers)?

Smokey said:
have you ever seen me adjust sliders..i think not.

and i knew that was going to happen. i watched it. wallace was clearly denying moon the ball and moon was close to the sideline already. you through it to him, he took the step away from wallace (because he was denying him)..which made him step out.

well see that's the difference between you and me. you know when players will do dumb things somehow. i sometimes watch this and expect it to unfold like a real game but no sometimes my players are dumbasses and make bounce passes when they shouldn't. or they'll stand like zombies

Birdman02

Smokey, I'm not gonna be able to play tomorrow. My grandfather is in the hospital again. Since my parents are out of town, my wife and I are taking turns staying with him. I'm home now, but I gotta get some sleep. I'm not sure if I'll be home tomorrow (or even in the mood to play an intense playoff game), so we might have to wait until Sunday night (maybe even Monday).

Whenever we start, we can play at least a couple of games each night, so I'm not holding the league up again.

Smokey

Birdman02 said:
Smokey, I'm not gonna be able to play tomorrow. My grandfather is in the hospital again. Since my parents are out of town, my wife and I are taking turns staying with him. I'm home now, but I gotta get some sleep. I'm not sure if I'll be home tomorrow (or even in the mood to play an intense playoff game), so we might have to wait until Sunday night (maybe even Monday).

Whenever we start, we can play at least a couple of games each night, so I'm not holding the league up again.

damn hope everything is okay.

just keep in touch w/ me

Hmmm. Made some settings. Wanted someone else to try them out and see the results that they get.

Rookie
5 minutes
CPU Attr. And Def.: All sliders maxed
NBA Rules sliders: All set to 25
House rule: No use of turbo on fastbreaks.

I use rookie because the cpu will use the entire shot clock. When you raise the attribute sliders, it will even out the performance of the CPU AI against normal Rookie set game performance.

You really don't need to use turbo when playing the CPU. Your coachiing tempo dictates the animations for your pg's bringing the ball up court and how fast you get into your offense. Which is pretty obvious.

I've been getting halftime scores accurate to the match ups of all teams I've used.

There won't be much FTs because the sliders are lowered. But we're trying to simulate a half of basketball, so it should be right.

charsace

Bishman said:
Never realized how fun NBA 2K9 is until I played a lot of games with my friends.

Buying the game tomorrow.

When does the new league start?

I call Dallas / Lakers.
You don't get anything unless I say so fresh meat. Enjoy the grizzles.

the only thing i noticed about smokeys teams that i dont know how to achieve is that it seems all his guys deflect or steal the ball at a higher rate than other people i play. i dont know if he sets all his guys to "deny ball", but if thats the case it doesn't affect their defense overall (which that setting is said to do)

then again maybe it's my imagination!

DiddyBop

smokey how many people were you thinking of including in season 8? and how would you determine who would get kicked out? i think that would be really tough, i see what youre saying about keeping it tighter but usually gaf sports leagues just let in as many people as possible. maybe you just really do need to run a dictatorship to keep the rules as tight as possible and keep us all in check:lol too much bickering ruined this season.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the only thing i noticed about smokeys teams that i dont know how to achieve is that it seems all his guys deflect or steal the ball at a higher rate than other people i play. i dont know if he sets all his guys to "deny ball", but if thats the case it doesn't affect their defense overall (which that setting is said to do)

that's what i got pissed about last night. his players all seem to have amazing basketball IQ while mine stand around and do nothin or stupid shit
he also has a way of making my defender become a complete moron while defending pick/pop or roll

i think a 16 man league is the most likely. that would give us 2 conferences with 2 divisions of 4 people. plus people like bob, truelize, konex (i think), and cerrius aren't coming back .

but its smokeys call. i can see why he wants to limit stuff after the shenanigans that went down sometimes last season!

Smokey

jordan0386 said:
Hmmm. Made some settings. Wanted someone else to try them out and see the results that they get.

Rookie
5 minutes
CPU Attr. And Def.: All sliders maxed
NBA Rules sliders: All set to 25
House rule: No use of turbo on fastbreaks.

I use rookie because the cpu will use the entire shot clock. When you raise the attribute sliders, it will even out the performance of the CPU AI against normal Rookie set game performance.

You really don't need to use turbo when playing the CPU. Your coachiing tempo dictates the animations for your pg's bringing the ball up court and how fast you get into your offense. Which is pretty obvious.

I've been getting halftime scores accurate to the match ups of all teams I've used.

There won't be much FTs because the sliders are lowered. But we're trying to simulate a half of basketball, so it should be right.

I get what you're saying...but rookie mode? Bleh.

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Pretty sure it's your imagination:D .

DiddyBop said:
smokey how many people were you thinking of including in season 8? and how would you determine who would get kicked out? i think that would be really tough, i see what youre saying about keeping it tighter but usually gaf sports leagues just let in as many people as possible. maybe you just really do need to run a dictatorship to keep the rules as tight as possible and keep us all in check:lol too much bickering ruined this season.

It will probably be 16. 8 in a conference 2 divisions 4 teams a piece. I wouldn't say this season was "ruined" really, it was just a notch down from season 6. For Season 8 FMT is going to custom make the schedules for every team to have a better representation of home/road games. That takes time.

I also tried a more hands off approach in season 7 and as a result things were crazy for awhile. I'm determined to not have a repeat of all the crap that went on this season. That means I'll have to return to being more hands on and if I'm going to play babysitter it's much easier w/ 16 players than 22..

CB3

Smokey said:
I get what you're saying...but rookie mode? Bleh.

It will probably be 16. 8 in a conference 2 divisions 4 teams a piece. I wouldn't say this season was "ruined" really, it was just a notch down from season 6. For Season 8 FMT is going to custom make the schedules for every team to have a better representation of home/road games. That takes time.

I also tried a more hands off approach in season 7 and as a result things were crazy for awhile. I'm determined to not have a repeat of all the crap that went on this season. That means I'll have to return to being more hands on and if I'm going to play babysitter it's much easier w/ 16 players than 22..

oh fuck me.

Im gonna be in a division with 3 of the best players (Smokey, FiveRing, someone else). Just like in madden. Puts me with the toughest people every single time!

Im gonna be in a division with 3 of the best players (Smokey, FiveRing, someone else). Just like in madden. Puts me with the toughest people every single time!

lol smokey will give me the divisions and ill make the schedule based on those divisions. i have nothing to do with who is in what division friend!

ecnal

FrenchMovieTheme said:

hustle plays a factor in this scenario as well.

if you play people online a lot, you'll see some really retarded lineups that don't make sense, but many of those 'stupid' lineups (in terms of sim basketball) are actually better than their real life counter parts--specifically having 5 people on the court who all have 90+ hustle.

smokey's rockets/bobcats have a lot of people with high hustle ratings. i've had 2 or 3 games this season where manu (99 hustle or really high 90's hustle) had 10+ boards, and j-smoove has rebound ratings in the ~70's, but 99 vert + high hustle = consistent rebounding.

IMO when crazy offensive rebounds happen (aka when players seemingly go over the back or get the offensive rebound from an inferior position) it's related to hustle ratings of the players. i've also noticed that when it appears your AI teammates are just standing around and doing nothing, they're often guarding or being guarded by a player with a hustle rating that's significantly higher.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
i noticed that playing smokey too...

he definitely goes all deny ball at least on the starting 5.. when I tried it myself I had similar results with my defenders clogging the lane with out me taking control of them... as for the rebounding advantage , I have no idea.. My guys would stand there looking at the guy that dries off the floor while the ball bounced right next to them.

I hope next season has a more leveled playing field.. but I know thats not happening

DCX

DCX
ecnal said:
hustle plays a factor in this scenario as well.

if you play people online a lot, you'll see some really retarded lineups that don't make sense, but many of those 'stupid' lineups (in terms of sim basketball) are actually better than their real life counter parts--specifically having 5 people on the court who all have 90+ hustle.

smokey's rockets/bobcats have a lot of people with high hustle ratings. i've had 2 or 3 games this season where manu (99 hustle or really high 90's hustle) had 10+ boards, and j-smoove has rebound ratings in the ~70's, but 99 vert + high hustle = consistent rebounding.

IMO when crazy offensive rebounds happen (aka when players seemingly go over the back or get the offensive rebound from an inferior position) it's related to hustle ratings of the players. i've also noticed that when it appears your AI teammates are just standing around and doing nothing, they're often guarding or being guarded by a player with a hustle rating that's significantly higher.
Ok, i'll let you know when i can run...if not soon, tonight for sure, i can play all night, i'm off this weekend.

DCX

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
So I had my cable company come out to the house on Thursday to look at my internet and they found a dead spot. The guy hooked some co-ax up to my tv to show me what was happening. All the really low channels were quite fuzzy. He said that showed that there were parts of my signal that weren't coming through properly. Supposedly he fixed it. Supposedly.

I don't get TV through this company but I get cable internet so it was an easy way to show me what was going on.

Smokey

Truelize said:
So I had my cable company come out to the house on Thursday to look at my internet and they found a dead spot. The guy hooked some co-ax up to my tv to show me what was happening. All the really low channels were quite fuzzy. He said that showed that there were parts of my signal that weren't coming through properly. Supposedly he fixed it. Supposedly.

I don't get TV through this company but I get cable internet so it was an easy way to show me what was going on.

and you were blaming my connection the whole time!

canadians i tell ya

CB3

Truelize said:

Good to know your coming back for another season

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I don't really believe that what he found had anything to do with connection. At least I'm not putting full faith in it.

ecnal

someone sent me a message while we were playing and when the notification came up, all my graphics in the game turned fucking crazy--they were all corrupted.

360 turned it self off, and turned back on to RROD. :lol

DCX

DCX
ecnal said:
someone sent me a message while we were playing and when the notification came up, all my graphics in the game turned fucking crazy--they were all corrupted.

360 turned it self off, and turned back on to RROD. :lol
WOW!!! Is it still doing it, i mean is she dead?

DCX

ecnal

trying to get back on... it's on but everything is loading super slow and what not.

edit: froze a couple times trying to boot the system/load 2k9, but it finally loaded into the game--trying to get back online.

Top Bottom