• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Offical NBA2K9 GAF Season 7 Thread of High Hopes

ecnal

well, it appears everything is fine.

it RROD'd, wouldn't boot up (kept freezing on that xbox logo thing), then it would freeze trying to load 2k9, but i'm in and online... i guess it's okay

edit: nevermind, i tried to challenge you DCX and it froze again, and now it wont even boot at all, just RROD. :/

DCX

DCX
ecnal said:

it RROD'd, wouldn't boot up (kept freezing on that xbox logo thing), then it would freeze trying to load 2k9, but i'm in and online... i guess it's okay

edit: nevermind, i tried to challenge you DCX and it froze again, and now it wont even boot at all, just RROD. :/
......wow

DCX

ecnal

i'm probably just gonna buy an arcade pack 360 tomorrow, and get this one fixed and give it to my girlfriend's little brother.

anyone know what chipset is supposed to be rrod proof?

should be able to finish it up tomorrow DCX.

ecnal

DCX said:
Ok...man good luck. ggs tonight.

DCX

what do you want to do about the last game--reset it or leave it?

i see the score on the 2K site, but i swear that wasn't the score when the game started to lag/freeze. it was only like a 12-14 point game when i crashed... i thought...

DCX

DCX
ecnal said:
what do you want to do about the last game--reset it or leave it?

i see the score on the 2K site, but i swear that wasn't the score when the game started to lag/freeze. it was only like a 12-14 point game when i crashed... i thought...
i say leave it...there was like 4 minutes to go, i'm sure there could be time left...but for our sanities and the effort we put in to try to play out the entire series in one night...

DCX

ecnal

that's fine. when will you be available tomorrow?

i'll probably pick up a new 360 in the late morning/early afternoon PST.

DCX

DCX
ummm...i'm home with the fam, so if i can get some time during the day i'll post...if not around the same time, 9 ish est.

DCX

ecnal

DCX said:
Hey i can whenever you can...wife left to go tanning :D

DCX

im just about to leave to get a new 360.

other one is still dead :(

should be able to play in like ~40 minutes to an hour.

charsace

ecnal said:

divine punishment for the josh smith abuse.

DCX

DCX
Great series man...it was soooo hard who to focus on when you have three all star type players in Smith, Manu and Mayo i just tried hard trying to stop Smith...Mayo is Jordan like for real. Hope your Xbox gets fixed. Lakers await Blazers/Suns winner :D

DCX

ecnal

decent series. was way too rusty and the connection drastically altered shot releases host to host.

also, since it's over, chill out on the LT taps and spin moves while driving. i saved 38 replays of you doing these moves that go straight into shots/dunks/layups. it has already been discussed here, but maybe it needs to be reiterated:

LT + DRIVING = UNSTOPPABLE.
SPIN MOVE INTO ANY SHOT TYPE = UNSTOPPABLE.

i uploaded a few of these replays for clarification.

not saying you won because of this, but it's really disconcerting to play against someone who does this shit on a consistent basis. the lag was already allowing you to get anywhere you wanted on the court, you didn't need to add insult to injury by locking me into unrecoverable animations.

Smokey

hmm...

birdman i know you said you were with your grandfather. if everything is okay with him will you be able to play tonight?

let me know.

DCX

DCX
Ummm...ok, i just watched those videos and i didn't see any of Josh Smith in the Post or Mayo/ Manu/ Chalmers getting my defenders in that stupid "i'm driving past you " animation for easy buckets. It's part of it. Those moves were legit in the flow of the game especially for someone like Kobe.

You have complete control of the Manu/Mayo/JSmooth moveset, i complete own the Kobe one. Like you said, i didnt lose or win because of them. I will say though. The jumping my inbounds after scoring was a bit cheesey, and somehow you found a way to do this alot! I have no clue how, but you did. Whatever, i let it go...maybe because i won, but i tried to keep our issues within us. nice of you to go public.

Either way. "decent" series. See you next season.

Virtual Smooth and VC. Whos next?

DCX

DCX

DCX
BTW now that i seen them all most of those are right stick moves....everyone has access to right stick moves :/

DCX

ecnal

the "im driving past you no matter what move" comes in at random times, you can force it in specific instances, but the game often enacts that move randomly. so if it happened, sorry, it was unintentional--i never forced that move to happen once, and, besides, it happened on both sides.

the difference between smith in the post or the random im driving past you moves is that i was never intentionally doing them or enacting unstoppable moves. i only went hard with josh smith when you played kleiza and radman @ the 4 & 5, which is a legitimate and sim tactic. i could have spin moved smith into the paint every time for a windmill dunk, no joke. smith's 99 speed + 99 dunk + 99 vert + spin move = warp through kenyon martin and instant dunk. i could have also done the unstoppable move with manu/mayo with the spin move into a fadeaway jumper that the game doesn't register as being contested even if a defender is right in their face. i spared you of all purposeful cheese, and i hoped that would have resulted in you relaxing on the insane iso motion from kobe/smith/billups.

i have 38 replays of you going into the exact same spin scenario: spin move straight into a shot or dunk. that's an absurd amount of spins--and this doesn't even include the game my 360 RROD'd (duh, couldn't save them) or our last game.

and i don't know what you mean by this:

The jumping my inbounds after scoring was a bit cheesey, and somehow you found a way to do this alot!

i never pressed you for inbound passes, ever. if you're talking about me stealing the ball on your defensive rebounds, that's your fault. you played sloppy and i almost always had dbl digit steals and blocks in all of our games.

i honestly have no idea what you're talking about here. never once attempted to steal a single inbound pass, ever. in any game i've ever played in this league. period.

Those moves were legit in the flow of the game especially for someone like Kobe.

i'll keep that in mind for next season. unstoppable moves are A-OKAY as long as they come in the flow. :lol

also, just a little tid bit, even cerrius has noted the potency of these exact moves:

The only iso moves I've encountered that are truly unstoppable (and I don't perform as a result) are the continuous spin moves with smaller guards [or people with 90+ handle] and the L trigger move (which others in this league have performed on me but they will remain nameless)

i'm not trying to get in an argument or whine for you beating me. i lost because i couldn't execute and score. you beat me, most of the time, with a better game plan. all i said was chill out on these moves, they're unstoppable--not my opinion, but PROVEN unstoppable.

DCX

DCX
What boggles my mind is that as far as i know you are the only one who has complained about this. I played the commish to a last second buzzer beater and nothing. True, the complainer of all complainers and nothing...IDK...trust me i'm not a good player at all so i guess i should take this as a compliment.

DCX

DCX

DCX
ecnal said:
i never pressed you for inbound passes, ever. if you're talking about me stealing the ball on your defensive rebounds, that's your fault. you played sloppy and i almost always had dbl digit steals and blocks in all of our games.

i honestly have no idea what you're talking about here. never once attempted to steal a single inbound pass, ever. in any game i've ever played in this league. period.
Listen, i may have to call foul...you did the good old Aka/Shawn inbound trick...take the person you just dunked with go straight for my PG for a steal, i had to take Bynum or Martin and bring the ball up at times WTF, and yes, on many of my rebounds ( i use the 2k cam and you know there is a change of camera view on change of possession ) you would strip my rebounders before they even had a chance to pass...now, to me, these situations are jumping the inbound passes to me. Whatever, this is redundant anyway.

DCX

i say stealing is all fair game except the inbounds pass. i would play games against people who would just get the rebound, throw it to their PG and they were off to the races. the ONLY way to stop this from consistently happening was to make them think twice about immediately throwing it to the PG was to steal it after a rebound.

just my opinion on THAT though!

as far as the unstoppable shots, well it seems like everyone knows how to do these. in my series against the magic dwight howard 1 on 1 in the post was basically unstoppable because he would do this spin and then be right under the basket.

against the hawks OJ mayo fade away was "unstoppable" (there was nothing i could do against the fade away animation)

etc etc.

ecnal

DCX said:
Listen, i may have to call foul...you did the good old Aka/Shawn inbound trick...take the person you just dunked with go straight for my PG for a steal, i had to take Bynum or Martin and bring the ball up at times WTF, and yes, on many of my rebounds ( i use the 2k cam and you know there is a change of camera view on change of possession ) you would strip my rebounders before they even had a chance to pass...now, to me, these situations are jumping the inbound passes to me. Whatever, this is redundant anyway.

DCX

the cpu often takes centers/power forwards and swipes for inbound passes. i can absolutely say 100% without a doubt, i NEVER controlled a player that was attempting to steal inbound passes, ever, ever, ever, in any game in this league, ever. maybe that needs to be reiterated: when you inbounded after i scored, i never attempted to steal the ball, ever. never. you can't even legitimately say i was using a player controlled player trying to steal your inbound pass. it never happened, it never has happened. i do believe my cpu player's tipped a pass or two that ended up in my possesion, but, once again, that shit happens as anyone who plays this game can attest to--and those steals weren't on inbound passes after a score, they were under my basket after the ball went out of bounds.

now, as for stripping you on rebounds, that was a direct response to your sloppy ball control and attempt to always leak out your ball handlers for fast breaks. all i did was max out crash boards, went big with smith @ the 3, and watch you throw errant passes or try and dribble up court with bynum (which lead to me stripping you). i mean you became predictable to a point where i must have had 5 straight strips or intercepted passes at one point in game 1. steals don't lie. i can't cheese steals to happen. they only happen when the game decides they do, or when a player become extremely predictable.

ecnal

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i say stealing is all fair game except the inbounds pass. i would play games against people who would just get the rebound, throw it to their PG and they were off to the races. the ONLY way to stop this from consistently happening was to make them think twice about immediately throwing it to the PG was to steal it after a rebound.

just my opinion on THAT though!

as far as the unstoppable shots, well it seems like everyone knows how to do these. in my series against the magic dwight howard 1 on 1 in the post was basically unstoppable because he would do this spin and then be right under the basket.

against the hawks OJ mayo fade away was "unstoppable" (there was nothing i could do against the fade away animation)

etc etc.

yep, right on all counts.

glad to see admins are on the same page.

i've read a few threads on operation sports, and they turned off "CLUTCH FACTOR", which drastically lowered the chances of ridiculously contested shots and the post up fade aways going in. maybe we should test that as well...

because of a variety of reasons, personal, academic, whatever, i can't do the next season. probably really surprising but it's better for me at this time

and no i am not drunk or influenced by drugs in any way

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Reading this page makes me so happy that I have bowed out.

I had the best feeling yesterday at church. I was sitting there with the family feeling like I had forgotten something. Couldn't figure it out. Then I realized that I didn't have to rush home, ignore the family and play a game of NBA2k9 that could possibly ruin my mood for the day.
Seriously one of the best feelings I have ever had. This game has become far too frustrating to focus on. I'm really glad I played these two seasons and I will be back with next years games but I am 100% gone with the wind.

Good luck everyone.

L trigger for the win. :D

lates.................

AirBrian

Yeah, as much as I would love to try out the new Bulls, I think I'm done too. I just never really "got" 2K9. I still have fun playing everyone, but trying to schedule 5 games a week when all I have is limited evening hours on the weekdays and then the weekends is too hard. And now I'm going to be training for a hiking trip in July, so my free time just got even smaller. I don't want to commit to another season only to have Smokey have to sim 1 or 2 games a week for me.

That said, you can bet your sweet ace I'll be back for 2K10! Suck it down, EA!

DCX

DCX
Beasley, Kobe, Smooth, Fast break deterant, offensive rebound cheez FTW!! Oh, must i forget, L button cheese?! lol Love you guys, dont evr change. :D BTW, I know how you feel True. That how i felt the calm before the storm ( NCAA/Madden ) no seasons to play gives you all the precious time in the world back...Hawks guy and i played 5 games straight one night...:/ That's alot of time playing games i still have in que, or whatever. I play one more league to defend my crown ;)

DCX

Smokey

ALMOST made the greatest comeback in 2k history in 4th quarter of game 3. Ended up losing by 2, but I didn't go down w/o swinging goddam.

Series 2-1

Can you play tomorrow birdy?

Reading this page makes me so happy that I have bowed out.

I had the best feeling yesterday at church. I was sitting there with the family feeling like I had forgotten something. Couldn't figure it out. Then I realized that I didn't have to rush home, ignore the family and play a game of NBA2k9 that could possibly ruin my mood for the day.
Seriously one of the best feelings I have ever had. This game has become far too frustrating to focus on. I'm really glad I played these two seasons and I will be back with next years games but I am 100% gone with the wind.

well you should never schedule a game that interferes with your personal life and if one of the best feelings you have ever had in your life is that you didn't have to play NBA 2k9 that's kind of crappy.

unless you were saying one of the best feelings is that you can spend time with your family!

anyhow, i think we can have a better season next year with 16 good players. not sure if we'll have this amount but it might makes things smoother. sucks that some of the regs wont be around, but it just makes it easier to win my championship next season!

Top Bottom