• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Offical NBA2K9 GAF Season 7 Thread of High Hopes

DCX

DCX
Smokey said:
There is a scouting report under player card/VIP

The rule has been around since the very beginning of the 2k leagues here on GAF I believe, at least it has in my past 4 seasons.

On ball D is the way to play in our league. This is still "pre-season" so do whatever the fuck you want I don't care, but come "season" time it's manual defense. So if you think you suck at it or aren't very good, well you have plenty of opportunity to practice now.
mind blown.

DCX

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Smokey said:
On ball D is the way to play in our league. This is still "pre-season" so do whatever the fuck you want I don't care, but come "season" time it's manual defense. So if you think you suck at it or aren't very good, well you have plenty of opportunity to practice now.

manual D is required now? wtf?

Offense has the vast advantage on the defensive players this year, to stop someone like LeBron you're telling me that I can't pack it in a zone and try to draw charges with my big men?

it shouldn't be required IMO

ecnal said:
i honestly don't know what just happened...

i made an ambiguous statement about on-ball-d (no need to call anyone out), and then kado immediately feels the need to call me a pussy. amazing.

also, just to make an observation for you kado; playing on-ball-d "100% of the time except on JJ" doesn't equate to playing on-ball-d 100% of the time. you can't do something 100% of the time sometimes. :lol

viakado said:
ecnal, i'll play 100% man D on you except for JJ. i'll let bowen do all the dirty work. How about this, i'll play 100% man D on you only if you stop trying to steal every goddamn pass.
reading is fundamental?
first thing.
1. you lied about me never playing manD on you. i only let the computer do its dirty deed against JJ.
2. i didn't break any league rule.
3. its only scrim.
4. you nerd rage quit on me.
5. stop calling me out. im a fair player. ask anyone here. its not like i try to go for 70, steal every pass, and always tries for a fastbreak play and never sets up a play*.

*and not playing man d on a specific player is far less *exploiting* then your style of play. if you call me out, im gonna call out on your shit too. its fair game.

Smokey

Cerrius said:
manual D is required now? wtf?

Offense has the vast advantage on the defensive players this year, to stop someone like LeBron you're telling me that I can't pack it in a zone and try to draw charges with my big men?

it shouldn't be required IMO

So...you'd rather play the CPU is what you're saying? Nobody said anything about playing a zone. If you're playing man then you need to guard the person with the ball, if zone then you need to take control of the closest player to the ball.

DCX said:
mind blown.

DCX

You can download the VIP profile from whoever in the league and practice against it too...this has been in the game since 2k7 I think.

viakado said:
since when?

this is the rule you posted about man-D.

got that from season 6 thread, if it was changed, i was never aware of it.:lol

That was season 6 though...notice how I haven't posted rules yet for season 7 in the OP?

Smokey said:
There is a scouting report under player card/VIP

The rule has been around since the very beginning of the 2k leagues here on GAF I believe, at least it has in my past 4 seasons.

since when?

this is the rule you posted about man-D.

Although this is not a requirement..try and play manual defense. It's much more fun when you and your opponent are actually guarding each other rather than letting the CPU do it...
got that from season 6 thread, if it was changed, i was never aware of it.:lol

strikeselect

Smokey said:
So...you'd rather play the CPU is what you're saying? Nobody said anything about playing a zone. If you're playing man then you need to guard the person with the ball, if zone then you need to take control of the closest player to the ball.

See that's the difference, I don't believe just because someone is playing off ball D that "Im playing the CPU".

requiring manual D limits the defensive player's options. You can't play the passing lanes or hunt for steals and you can't effectively draw charges with big men. I prefer my opponent plays defense anyway he sees fit.

when someone plays manual d, it makes the game so much easier for me because I can blow right by them or pull up for the easy jumpshot because they don't know when I'm going up. :lol

DCX

DCX
Smokey said:

You can download the VIP profile from whoever in the league and practice against it too...this has been in the game since 2k7 I think.
....um ok, i'm going to be a 1000000% better player this season, and not because i have the Lakers :lol :lol

DCX

Smokey

Cerrius said:
See that's the difference, I don't believe just because someone is playing off ball D that "Im playing the CPU".

requiring manual D limits the defensive player's options. You can't play the passing lanes or hunt for steals and you can't effectively draw charges with big men. I prefer my opponent plays defense anyway he sees fit.

when someone plays manual d, it makes the game so much easier for me because I can blow right by them or pull up for the easy jumpshot because they don't know when I'm going up. :lol

Then there's no point in playing in a league. If I wanted to play against the CPU on defense I'd play against randoms. Really though, on manual D I'm not going to budge too much on it. You make it seem like it's an impossible task. I've won my championships by playing manual defense...it is not impossible. There isn't much enjoyment of playing against the CPU and having a player sit in the back while the CPU does all the work.

It's annoying and based on the amount of PMs I received last season...I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Hunter D

I play man d and got raped by J smith because of it.

The funny thing about the offensive power up is that it is less than it was at the release, but is still broken. The funny thing is that the iso motion in this year's game is one of the worst ever implemented in 2k.

What I've learned is that you don't d up on someone when the shot clock is about to expire are else all your hardwork was for nothing. The offensive power up is even greater when the shot clock is near expiration.

And I schooled vik with Devin Harris. double cross>Tony Parker. I got is ankles in my closet right now.

ecnal

viakado said:
reading is fundamental?
first thing.
1. you lied about me never playing manD on you. i only let the computer do its dirty deed against JJ.
2. i didn't break any league rule.
3. its only scrim.
4. you nerd rage quit on me.
5. stop calling me out. im a fair player. ask anyone here. its not like i try to go for 70, steal every pass, and always tries for a fastbreak play and never sets up a play*.

*and not playing man d on a specific player is far less *exploiting* then your style of play. if you call me out, im gonna call out on your shit too. its fair game.

are you really 29 years old?

i'm a pussy, i nerd rage quit on you, and, apparently, i'm an exploiter.

i don't need to respond to anything here. nothing i say will be able to make you look as foolish as your own posts.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
yeah Man on D should be required. i remember in 2k6 i use to camp the hell out of the lane and block everything with KG. Fun but pretty cheap. I really only did it cause it was the first B-Ball game i played seriously since NBA2K on Dreamcast.

i played man on every other league after that. if i see someone letting the computer guarding me alot i do my best to dick the hell out of them.

CB3

and that "you cant guard anyone with man on D" is BS. I held teams to low scoring all year with the fucking Bucks.

Bibby and Bogut and Charlie V and Joe Alexander and RJ are not what id call good defensive players either. but i made it work

Smokey

CB3 said:
and that "you cant guard anyone with man on D" is BS. I held teams to low scoring all year with the fucking Bucks.

Bibby and Bogut and Charlie V and Joe Alexander and RJ are not what id call good defensive players either. but i made it work

Exactly.

And who are we waiting on? 19/22 players have signed in. One of those obviously isn't pheeniks so really we are waiting on 2 players...

DCX

DCX
Cerrius said:

I dont believe that to be true. I play pretty good on ball D, the problem i have to trying to defend screens and double screens. I guess post play, but everyone has that problem. Let me say, no one has ever gotten more than 35 points on me, let alone 71 :D

DCX

strikeselect

Smokey said:
Then there's no point in playing in a league. If I wanted to play against the CPU on defense I'd play against randoms. Really though, on manual D I'm not going to budge too much on it. You make it seem like it's an impossible task.I've won my championships by playing manual defense...it is not impossible.

against good players, manual D will not work. especially, if they're using a lebron, kobe etc. etc.

this "whole playing the CPU" concept is retarded. when the defensive player is the one deciding what defensive schemes to run, whether he'll patrol the paint to draw charges, go for blocks, play the passing lanes for steals, etc. etc.

this isn't some one on one street ball game, this is a team game.

manual D is a joke. I've never had problems blowing by someone playing manual D or pulling up for an open jumpshot.

Smokey

Cerrius said:
against good players, manual D will not work.

this "whole playing the CPU" concept is retarded. when the defensive player is the one deciding what defensive schemes to run, whether he'll patrol the paint to draw charges, go for blocks, play the passing lanes for steals, etc. etc.

this isn't some one on one street ball game, this is a team game.

manual D is a joke. I've never had problems blowing by someone playing manual D or pulling up for an open jumpshot.

I consider you a good player...and won every game we played last season against you playing manual D.

kobe had 23 points the first game I played the Lakers...19 the second.
lebron had 30 points the first game , 19 the 2nd.

strikeselect

Smokey said:
I consider you a good player...and won every game we played last season against you playing manual D.

your defense wasnt the reason you won. it's because i couldn't stop you on offense.

yao, mcgrady, iverson, artest. fuck :lol

and that game where you brought in the bench to launch 3pt bombs was ugh

CB3

Smokey said:
Exactly.

And who are we waiting on? 19/22 players have signed in. One of those obviously isn't pheeniks so really we are waiting on 2 players...

Daw and Konex

I dont usually make a huge deal about the rules but on ball D ATLEAST the majority of the time should be the rule. if not all of the time

DCX

DCX
Where's Frankman and his TNT reports?! Vik, whip something up, shit is getting real in here! :lol :lol :lol

DCX

Smokey

Cerrius said:
your defense wasnt the reason you won. it's because i couldn't stop you on offense.

I was in top 4 in points allowed against me last season at 68 points a game....

and in my scrimmages so far with the bobcats it's been in the high 60 low 70's area...

Hunter D

Cerrius said:

Then you will love that asshole sf on the bobcats that blocks shots and dunks everything.

how can I get wilson chandler?

DCX

DCX
Wallace is like Scottie Pippen :/ And he has him playing like Jordan. :/ Smokey knows the game inside and out, almost like those anal MVC 2 players that have combos tied to frames of animation.

DCX

DCX

DCX
viakado said:
i did the tnt reports, you fool!!:lol :lol :lol

i should resurrect that from the dead.:lol
I mentioned you scum! You should bring it back, i demand a weekly wrap up!!

BTW: IF you want JR, the price is high, but feel free to propose a deal

DCX

Smokey

Cerrius said:
i never scored below 68 against you. :lol

But...you also never beat me so I guess it evens out.

first game 75 2nd game 83. But by definition of you saying that manual d against a good player is impossible...I should have lost those games to you. When we played I held Beasley and Wade to their average or below.

strikeselect

Smokey said:
But...you also never beat me so I guess it evens out.

I recall beating you 3 straight times in 2K8 actually.

2K9 we've played a total of what 3 games? at best? against your stacked rockets? :lol

shit is getting real here folks

ecnal said:
i don't need to respond to anything here. nothing i say will be able to make you look as foolish as your own posts.
what's more foolish is rage-quitting on a scrimmage, just because i didn't play man-D on JJ.:lol
c'mon man....

Smokey

Cerrius said:
I recall beating you 3 straight times in 2K8 actually.

2K9 we've played a total of what 3 games? at best? against your stacked rockets? :lol

shit is getting real here folks

you probably did in 2k8..but then i remember playing you in the playoffs and beating you there(with the Magic..who weren't stacked btw)...so which one counts more? shawn beat me in the regular season too with his Lakers in those 2 seasons in 2k8 when I won the ship....

DCX

DCX
Smokey VS Cerrius

TrashTalk.jpg

DCX

DCX said:
I mentioned you scum! You should bring it back, i demand a weekly wrap up!!

BTW: IF you want JR, the price is high, but feel free to propose a deal

DCX
i'll start a new TNT page, only if you give me JR smith for mason and finley.

DCX

DCX
viakado said:
i'll start a new TNT page, only if you give me JR smith for mason and finley.
....dude...what do i look like? IF i could rage quit on you i would right now *stomps off the internet to watch LOST again*

DCX

strikeselect

Smokey said:
you probably did in 2k8..but then i remember playing you in the playoffs and beating you there...so which one counts more? shawn beat me in the regular season too with his Lakers in those 2 seasons in 2k8 when I won the ship....

How convenient to forget that I was playing with the 15 - 67 Heat.

took you to a game 7? good enough for me against that Dwight Howard/Rashard Lewis team.

DCX said:
....dude...what do i look like? IF i could rage quit on you i would right now *stomps off the internet to watch LOST again*

DCX
how about tony parker? :D

ok, ok. everyone needs to come the fuck down. its like everyone has something stuck up there ass....well, except for zep. He's an exception. he's literally feeling it up the ass.

Smokey

Cerrius said:
How convenient to forget that I was playing with the 15 - 67 Heat.

took you to a game 7? good enough for me against that Dwight Howard/Rashard Lewis team.

The Magic weren't near the team they are now and you know it, and that's not my problem you had the 15-67 Heat. The Magic weren't even my team, the Rockets are. I couldn't use them b/c I was new to the league and had to pick after everybody else. So the season that I do get my hometown team it's still an issue b/c they were "stacked". :lol

Damn if I do damn if I don't!

Hunter D

DCX said:
Smokey VS Cerrius

TrashTalk.jpg

DCX
They are fighting for no reason because I'm going to win the league. Once I get a feel for VC and Harris its over. Did I tell you all I stole vik's ankles in the scrim?

Hunter D said:
They are fighting for no reason because I'm going to win the league. Once I get a feel for VC and Harris its over. Did I tell you all I stole vik's ankles in the scrim?
oh you motherfucker!

great game, btw hunter. Harris can go to hell.

Smokey

Hunter D said:

:lol

It's not a fight because Cerrius hasn't beaten me in the playoffs nor does he have a championship ring(s) on his finger. I'm just defending myself here.

All in good fun:D

Cerrius is a good player.

ecnal

viakado said:
what's more foolish is rage-quitting on a scrimmage, just because i didn't play man-D on JJ.:lol
c'mon man....

you didn't play on-ball-d at all. don't play it down. even diddy chimed in and said you slack with on-ball-d. i'm not the only one who thinks you don't play on-ball-d.

i ran 6 set plays all of which had you not playing on-ball-d unless it was on bibby.

- ran 3 plays for josh smith and none of them had you playing duncan on him. the only thing remotely close to you playing on-ball-d was when you switched to duncan, then immediately switched off back to tp.

- ran a play for marvin williams, you didn't play on-ball-d with him either. you switched back to tp and attempted to play passing lanes. ran another play with marvin williams holding the ball, which had bibby running of a series of screens, but you didn't play marvin nor did you play bibby with tp. you switched off to duncan on the weak side.

- after running my last play for jj, and you not playing on-ball-d, i took the shot and waited for the next moment possible to quit the game--after you either scored or turned the ball over.

and you're right, it's just a scrim, which is why i quit--there's no repercussion.

i wasn't going to waste another 28 minutes to play against a cpu controlled spurs defense. it's that simple. i can waste time playing the spurs offline, which is, effectually, the same experience as playing you.

also, i never called you out by name. i've never called you names, nor have i insinuated that you're a raging pussy nerd who exploits. it's really simple to act like a civil adult--considering you are 29 years old this should be something that you're familiar with.

i don't mind the name calling. we are what we are, just read the NBA thread :lol

and i try to play on ball D as much as I can but if i can see someone running a screen play i'm definitely gambling on that shit. and likewise, if i know someone is trying to post up a scoring center, ESPECIALLY yao, i'm going to play off-ball D and front the guy. the AI will never front for you.

ecnal. according to season 6 rules, i didn't break any rules. considering man-D rule isn't implemented yet on season 7. so its fair game.
plus, btw...
dpabkw.jpg

a real adult finishes it out. so i wont consider you an adult til you finish our game, chump.

pheeniks said:
i don't mind the name calling. we are what we are, just read the NBA thread :lol
this.

on the ball D when playing zone is kind of bullshit. for instance, take the 2-3 zone. the PG brings the ball up the court so you stick him. there is NO WAY to tell your SG on the top to spread out further to guard against an open 3, he just sits basically at the foul line waiting. what happens? pass over to the SG who gets an open 3.

the only way to prevent this is to pick your SG on defense and spread him out wide to guard out there.

i understand that on the ball D should happen in most instances, but there are definitely times when NOT playing on the ball D should be acceptable

p.s. yeah can't a couple people just "dummy" sign in and then replace them with the real people later?

ecnal

viakado said:
ecnal. according to season 6 rules, i didn't break any rules. considering man-D rule isn't implemented yet on season 7. so its fair game.
plus, btw...

a real adult finishes it out. so i wont consider you an adult til you finish our game, chump.

no one suggested we were playing by any rules. it was a scrim. i left because it was boring and pointless to play a cpu defense. plain and simple.

like i said earlier, if you want to man up (on-ball-d) i don't have a problem playing you, but don't waste my time by pitting the cpu vs me.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
p.s. yeah can't a couple people just "dummy" sign in and then replace them with the real people later?

Zep said:
*flips around 48-hour card*
i got one too. konex and daw are left......hmmmm. interesting.

ecnal, let's finish this. let's take this outside in game.

Mrbob

FMT finally has to play manually D instead of letting the cpu do everything for him. :lol

Oh wait he is already above crying about it. :D

Sign these people in plz thanks.

Mrbob

Anyone going to be our champion and get these people signed in?

I'm not at home right now so I can't do it. :/

Top Bottom