• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Offical NBA2K9 GAF Season 7 Thread of High Hopes

DCX

DCX
Cerrius said:
What agitates me is that Truelize was able to dunk and layup at will on fastbreaks knowing full well he didn't care if he passed the PIP limit.

I held back on my fastbreaks because I didn't want to go over the limit. If I knew I could get at least 56 PIP like Tru did, I would've attacked the paint alot more and taken advantage of my fastbreak opportunities.

All I want are the rules to be enforced so there's equal ground for both players to win the game. You can't have an admin going around breaking the rules declaring it was "fair" for him to break them when the other player didn't know it was ok to go over the limit.
To his defense. It's easy to not know you went over 3 or 6 points over VS being 10-20 points over. I believe Tru honestly didnt know. Didnt someone have 74 pip in a game once? Thats crazy.

DCX

DenogginizerOS said:
Of the 70+ points Cerrius scored in a single game with a single player, how many were PIP? Which is easier: running screen plays to free up high percentage shooters or giving it to a big man down low to score? I would argue the results indicate that one can just as easily exploit the boost they get from running plays as they can exploit any inside game. And if I were playing a team that could outshoot me from the perimeter, I would bust it low every chance I could get to counter their advantage. By limiting this, you are hamstringing a team's response to Cerrius' style of play.

omg THIS is exactly what I am thinking. you are a genius man of words

If you take jumpers you are playing exactly into players like him. he will take a long rebound--->outlet to miller--->auto three.

denog let's scrim

AirBrian

17 of the 22 teams average less than 80 points a game.

Wait, I only average 60 points a game? :lol My next oppenonet better watch out! I'm going inside every time!

(Well, except for 5 times)

Mrbob

Hey fuck you guys for keeping on referring to the twolves big man as Al Richardson. I hate you all I'm quitting this league. :lol

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Cerrius said:
What agitates me is that Truelize was able to dunk and layup at will on fastbreaks knowing full well he didn't care if he passed the PIP limit.

I held back on my fastbreaks because I didn't want to go over the limit. If I knew I could get at least 56 PIP like Tru did, I would've attacked the paint alot more and taken advantage of my fastbreak opportunities.

All I want are the rules to be enforced so there's equal ground for both players to win the game. You can't have an admin going around breaking the rules declaring it was "fair" for him to break them when the other player didn't know it was ok to go over the limit.

I don't appreciate being called a liar. I messaged you on Xbox Live asking if we could play after you were done with Smokey and you told me something to the effect of "not tonight, smokey is shooting excessive threes"

I don't claim the wording is correct but you DID bitch about Smokey's three point shooting habits. :lol

You could have simply said to Truelize something like, "good game, True. I hate to point this out, but are you aware you went over the PIP?" Instead, you knew the rule and yet you asked for clarification and then you accused True of not caring. Again, fo someone that doesn't care about winning or losing, you certainly seem to care.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
DenogginizerOS said:
You could have simply said to Truelize something like, "good game, True. I hate to point this out, but are you aware you went over the PIP?" Instead, you knew the rule and yet you asked for clarification and then you accused True of not caring. Again, fo someone that doesn't care about winning or losing, you certainly seem to care.

True knew he went over the limit. I msged him on Xbox Live about it. I honestly didn't know if there was a rule change since I didn't expect an admin to go paint crazy like that.

It was a legit question, I wasn't trying to play dumb.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Cerrius said:

Knowing full well that I didn't care about the rule? I care about the rule. It's hard for me to give up a win where I destroyed the other team because I was 3.5 points over a limit. I didn't think you would have come in here and asked about it. So I'm defending my win and trying to get a change to the rule.

I did not cheese you in the paint and you know it.

My biggest problem with the rule is that it doesn't consider margin of victory. Those extra PIP in our game Cerrius did not effect the outcome at all. Not one bit. Shouldn't be an issue. In Pheenik's game last night he won by 3 and was 4 points over the limit. His points did effect the outcome.
I think margin of victory should be part of the equation.
If we suddenly take away second chance points then we should make up for that rule change somehow. Margin of victory is a fair rule addition.

Cerrius said:
I don't appreciate being called a liar. I messaged you on Xbox Live asking if we could play after you were done with Smokey and you told me something to the effect of "not tonight, smokey is shooting excessive threes"

I don't claim the wording is correct but you DID bitch about Smokey's three point shooting habits. :lol

I did NOT complain about his three point shooting habits. If you are referring to that game I was referring to the fact that I was getting destroyed, was down by 20 and was still getting threes dropped on me and wasn't prepared to play another game after how bad I lost. That is not backstabbing or bitching. That is me saying why I wasn't interested in playing you after that loss.

And in all honesty playing you after getting killed with threes is not my idea of fun. You murder with threes, I didn't need that two games in a row.
Like I said I've beaten you twice ever. I need to be in the right mind to play at the speed you play. And if I'm already frustrated from one loss I'm not gonna do well against a player of your caliber.

Cerrius said:
True knew he went over the limit. I msged him on Xbox Live about it. I honestly didn't know if there was a rule change since I didn't expect an admin to go paint crazy like that.

I went paint crazy? Dude paint crazy is NOT 56 PIP when I score 105. That is NOT paint crazy.
Anyone think that is paint crazy?

And I knew I went over the limit because I was looking at the team stats page. I can read.

And you had to know about the rule change. Your first post sure came across as you were playing dumb. It totally did.

Smokey

2nd chance points aren't included because they don't necessarily have to come in the paint. If you get a rebound kick it back out, and make a jumper those points go into 2nd chance.

AirBrian

Cerrius said:

Paint crazy? C'mon, you know 56 out of 105 isn't exactly paint crazy. :lol

Truelize said:
My biggest problem with the rule is that it doesn't consider margin of victory. Those extra PIP in our game Cerrius did not effect the outcome at all. Not one bit. Shouldn't be an issue. In Pheenik's game last night he won by 3 and was 4 points over the limit. His points did effect the outcome.

I'm calling bullshit here, sorry.

You said "I didn't cheese in the paint and you know it" as a way to validate that you shouldn't have an auto loss. I can DEFINITELY say the same. And you're pointing out my PIP to total points ratio, which is just a way to make yours looks better. look at it this way: I play at a slow tempo and if my shots aren't falling, then the only ones are from the paint. You know I take plenty of jumpers

if you guys call scoring in the paint abuse then I can say that you giving it to Player X in a certain area of a court when you need to score, is cheesing too. Because some of you guys have plays that work 100% of the time and you know it

and like I've been saying all along. if it's "money" then I Want ecnal to point out money plays i was using. i know HIs money play and its josh smith.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
pheeniks said:
I'm calling bullshit here, sorry.

You said "I didn't cheese in the paint and you know it" as a way to validate that you shouldn't have an auto loss. I can DEFINITELY say the same. And you're pointing out my PIP to total points ratio, which is just a way to make yours looks better. look at it this way: I play at a slow tempo and if my shots aren't falling, then the only ones are from the paint. You know I take plenty of jumpers

if you guys call scoring in the paint abuse then I can say that you giving it to Player X in a certain area of a court when you need to score, is cheesing too. Because some of you guys have plays that work 100% of the time and you know it

No I'm not saying that you cheesed.

The fact is that I went over the limit. As did you. So from outside our game. Looking at the rule objectively, could we make a change that would help us?

1. If I beat you by 20 points. I score 107 total points and I score 56 points in the paint. Do you feel that you DESERVE that victory?

2. If I beat you by 4 points. And break the PIP rule by 7 do you feel that you are more entitled to that victory?

I'm guessing everyone here would answer NO to question number 1 and yes to question number 2.

There are a lot of things in this game that we can complain about. Especially after a loss. And we have a very good set of rules that helps us have a good experience. The PIP rule is a very very tough one. Adding a margin of victory clause to it could help.

Positives about a "Margin of Victory" clause:
- if the Points in the Paint limit is broken, then we can look at the margin of victory. If the points in the paint over the limit are less than the margin of victory we do not overturn the game.

Does this make sense?

I'll take my auto-loss for my game against Cerrius. I broke a rule as it stood. I was in a different mindset last night than I am now. But I would like to help us in the future.

Mrbob

I do agree there seems to be a money 3 point shot play available at almost any time if you fast break, and it has nothing to do with your opponent taking a 3. You can slash to the hoop, miss a layup, and your opponent can break towards the other end of the court for an open shot. I actually know the play now so I'm better at defending it, but I do think its a little annoying to defend against that style of offense instead of attempting a half court setup.

But whatever I just want to make it through the season without everyone strangling each other. :lol

i don't blame you. but seriously you can't judge based on stats. if you watched our game you would kno where i'm coming from

and for someone to say i play manual D 50% of the time is BS. you guys know I do and the proof is that i am horrible. i jump at everything

AirBrian said:
Has the fatigue slider been adjusted? It's still way too high.

really? my guys are tired as shit :lol

AirBrian

pheeniks said:
i don't blame you. but seriously you can't judge based on stats. if you watched our game you would kno where i'm coming from

and for someone to say i play manual D 50% of the time is BS. you guys know I do and the proof is that i am horrible. i jump at everything

Yeah, that's what I mean. :lol

Smokey

pheeniks said:

:lol

Fatigue is heavily dependent on your style of play btw.

DCX

DCX
pheeniks said:

True. He does, Kleiza had a break out game last night becuase of it :p IMO we shouldnt have the PIP rule. We are way to contrained on how we play. Cerrius wants to run and gun, guess what, if you stack the paint and crash the boards you will nullify that advantage, or just pull your D back. If Al Richardson is posting and toasting in the paint, just double him in the paint, someone screen and rolling, jump the screen...where's the strategy for real? I find more strategy in NBA Jam than this league. We are all trying to play the same type of basektball cuase of the rules. Thats bullshit. There are some cheese master in our leagues but IMO, non of them exsist this season...lets just play ball fellas.

DCX

DCX

DCX
FrenchMovieTheme said:
wait so is truelize having his 55 PIP game forefitted?
lol, so it seems chum. It's crazy. Going by this, all of Shawn's Madden game should have been forfeited! All of them.

DCX

well again not that i agree with the rule but that is what should happen in this case. i forefitted shawnhanns NFC Championship game against DM for breaking the rules.

if you let this slide it sets a bad example. rules are rules. if you break the rules, you should be punished. it is easy to say "well it came within the flow of the game" etc, and i agree! but the bottom line is anyone can make a case for themselves not to be punished as i dont think anyone is truly trying to cheese his way to a win.

i also don't like the margin of victory argument because it gives no context to the game. lets say you are playing a game and you have 30 points in the paint in the 4th, you are up by 2 points. then you just start driving to the basket for dunks every play. you end the game winning by 20 and your PIP are 48.

Hey the game wasn't close anyways! well that is being taken out of context. or lets say EARLY in the game you have 35 PIP in the first half, helping you to build a 25 point halftime lead. well now your opponent is in scramble mode and has to start chucking up 3's or playing a faster paced game. well, you're under the 50 points so no big deal!

if the rule is going to be adjusted then adjust it now, but you can't say "oh here was the rule, it was broken, but they're going to replay it now". it just can't be that way because then in the future, EVEN if you adjust the rule, someone who breaks it will say "oh then i want a replay because so and so got to replay the game last time he broke the rule"

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
No I'm taking the loss. I'm in a better state of mind this morning.

If there are any adjustments to the rule it is for the future. I broke the rule. I take the loss. Simple.
I can't change a rule to accommodate a game that has been played. Can't turn back time. But the rule is not perfect. It wasn't last season either. But maybe we can make it better.

I think that most would agree that a margin of victory clause would help some situations. I mean we have two or three games a season where the PIP would come into it. But that was back when we included second chance points. Without second chance points it is much easier to break the PIP total.
How do we offset that change?

We are not talking about my game here people. I took the loss as the rule stands. But you could be in my shoes later this season.
Would you be comfortable with having a margin of victory clause there?
Or are we too worried that people will just try to abuse the paint more and just try to win by a bigger margin to make up for it?

FMT in your examples no one broke the rules. Am I reading things wrong?

OJ FTW :lol

Did you consider my running at the end cheese-esque? Just curious. I saw my guys going straight to the basket and I had to make those passes (and those passes aren't 100%)

yes truelize, that was my point. there can be "cheesing" even when that rule is not broken. it is all perception and using a gentlemans agreement will leave it up to what your opponent feels happened. within the context of the game a player may not "break" the rule, but he maybe using cheesy tactics to ensure he doesn't have to early. then that opens the door to other shit

Mrbob

Pheeniks I have the same problem as you do, I jump way too early sometimes in anticipation of blocking a shot. :lol

I need to learn to keep my feet to the ground.

DMczaf

Mrbob said:
Pheeniks I have the same problem as you do, I jump way too early sometimes in anticipation of blocking a shot. :lol

Sometimes you would jump 3-4 times at me when I'm just dribbling around the 3pt line with Nash :lol

AirBrian

For some reason my guys were not running the plays I was calling. Not sure if you were getting in the way to stop them or what. I lost count how many times my SG or SF got caught up in the lane.

AirBrian

Mrbob said:

:lol I do the same thing sometimes. Just wait until our game. It'll be like watching the Nutcraker!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
FrenchMovieTheme said:
yes truelize, that was my point. there can be "cheesing" even when that rule is not broken. it is all perception and using a gentlemans agreement will leave it up to what your opponent feels happened. within the context of the game a player may not "break" the rule, but he maybe using cheesy tactics to ensure he doesn't have to early. then that opens the door to other shit

Well we never dropped the hammer down when Cerrius scored 71 points with Beasley. I'm sure his opponent felt cheesed during that game. But we can't police everything. Not everyone has the same definition of "sim" basketball.

Rules shouldn't punish people that play sim basketball and we shouldn't have so many rules that we are all playing the same style (good point DCX). But it is early enough in the season that maybe we can make some changes for the good.

Mrbob

Stupid nash. Dude can have a gatorade symbol by him and he still swishes 3 pointers from 5 feet behind the arc. :lol I have a plan for good 'ole stevie for our league game!

FrenchMovieTheme said:
is it against the rules for me to score 100 points with mcgirk against bob? that's what i plan on doing

Don't worry, I plan to counter this by putting up over 100 with Wade, all in the paint!

Airbrian said:
I do the same thing sometimes. Just wait until our game. It'll be like watching the Nutcraker!

Too bad there isn't spectator mode! Could be a comedy of errors game!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i also don't like the margin of victory argument because it gives no context to the game. lets say you are playing a game and you have 30 points in the paint in the 4th, you are up by 2 points. then you just start driving to the basket for dunks every play. you end the game winning by 20 and your PIP are 48.

Hey the game wasn't close anyways! well that is being taken out of context. or lets say EARLY in the game you have 35 PIP in the first half, helping you to build a 25 point halftime lead. well now your opponent is in scramble mode and has to start chucking up 3's or playing a faster paced game. well, you're under the 50 points so no big deal!

i was coming in to type this...

it sucks that we cant just play right... we are all regulars here, lets drop this garbage and move on.. any one want to scrim... where is konex

daw840

DCX said:
To his defense. It's easy to not know you went over 3 or 6 points over VS being 10-20 points over. I believe Tru honestly didnt know. Didnt someone have 74 pip in a game once? Thats crazy.

DCX

*raises hand*

But in my defense that was against FMT and was one of the funnest games I have ever played. He had like 70 PIP that game to my 74.:lol

lol yeah me and daw had 74 and 70 respectively in our 113-111 barnburner and it was the best game ive ever played online in 2k. back and forth all game and i never felt cheesed or anything despite the 74 points. it all came within the flow.

i wish we could just say fuck this PIP rule and just play legit and if you happen to score 70 points in the paint so be it. your shot chart would tell the story as well if you were actually trying to get a mid/long range game going or not

DiddyBop

The 50 PIP rule is fine. Like I've said before,if smokey last season won the chip without ever going over 50 pip with yao ming and one of the best cheese dunkers in the game in tmac, then so can the rest of us. i too never ever had a problem with going over the 50 pip and usually end up in the high 30s. i cant see how some of you could possibly think we need more.

there were tiems in some scrim games where i felt i was going to bosh a lot in the post,but still only ended up with around 30 pip. as i said before, we all just need to learn how to use our shooters more.

Top Bottom