• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Offical NBA2K9 GAF Season 7 Thread of High Hopes

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Nat screw voting. I got a good trade denied cause of votes like 2 seasons ago and some bs trade was allowed. Not to mention smokey stealing AI last season. Ill trade who I feel like trading

AirBrian

I'm not a huge fan of making certain players untradeable just because any player in the NBA can get traded -- even ones we thought never would.

I realize we don't have contracts/salary caps/etc. that somewhat limit the lop-sided trades in the NBA, so I like the idea of a vote on trades involving 85+ rated players. However, I think that would only work or be fair if every team voted, which probably will not happen.

Personally, unless something just crazy comes along, I'm done with trades anyway. But I would like to see "Gasol for a bag of chips" and "AI for a pickle" type trades eliminated.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
AirBrian said:
But I would like to see "Gasol for a bag of chips" and "AI for a pickle" type trades eliminated.

This.

I'm all for trading players but when we get ridiculous shit like Iverson for Brent Barry, it's just stupid.

edit: when is the league getting created?

Smokey

Cerrius said:
This.

I'm all for trading players but when we get ridiculous shit like Iverson for Brent Barry, it's just stupid.

edit: when is the league getting created?

I'll be home in about 30 minutes and I'll try and create it. I tried last night but 2k's shitty servers wouldn't let me on.

DCX

DCX
viakado said:
can't wait to see the blockbuster trades when the season starts.
The epic nature of which these trades will be unleashed will fuck with minds like that episode of Lost did to me!

DCX

AirBrian

I still haven't watched the Lost episodes yet!

Not listening to you, DCX...LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Birdman02

What if we just limit the point differential between players getting traded....something like max 2-3 point difference in 1-for-1 trades and increase based on the number of players involved. It's about as close as we can get to a salary cap.

AirBrian

Birdman02 said:
What if we just limit the point differential between players getting traded....something like max 2-3 point difference in 1-for-1 trades and increase based on the number of players involved. It's about as close as we can get to a salary cap.
Oh, this is an interesting idea too...but what about when two owners are looking for different things that might not translate well into overall rating (like offensive vs. defense, G vs. F, etc.)?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I don't think math really works for balancing out trades. I can give you three garbage players for your best player. Doesn't work.

I don't need you guys to vote on trades. I was giving you a chance to vote against something you though was uneven. I'm positive everyone would have jumped in to block the Iverson for Barry deal last season. Positive.
Not many trades would have a single vote against it. But it's there if needed. And every person that votes has to tell me why they voted against. That way anyone that is voting just to block a team from getting better doesn't have any weight. If a trade is balanced enough it goes through. Just like in fantasy basketball.

An untradeable list is a good idea but that will really limit trades and history shows that people really really enjoy doing trades. I mean Viakado traded his entire team away so did Pheeniks. We did the untradeable list in the past when Aka was the lead commissioner and it did work. I would be ok with it I guess. But some teams don't have two players that are work putting on that list.

Another way to do it is agree that any trade involving a player that is rated 80 or above must include a player rated 80 or above in return. We are about to see a couple of two for one deals that make some sense but will still give certain teams what can be considered an "unfair advantage".

What do you guys think about those options?

ecnal

viakado said:
maybe updated from the last patch then, in any case, that site should help with trade negotiations*. btw, pheeniks you still haven't told me who you want.

*ahem, zep and ecnal.

?

Smokey

Truelize said:
I don't think math really works for balancing out trades. I can give you three garbage players for your best player. Doesn't work.

I don't need you guys to vote on trades. I was giving you a chance to vote against something you though was uneven. I'm positive everyone would have jumped in to block the Iverson for Barry deal last season. Positive.
Not many trades would have a single vote against it. But it's there if needed. And every person that votes has to tell me why they voted against. That way anyone that is voting just to block a team from getting better doesn't have any weight. If a trade is balanced enough it goes through. Just like in fantasy basketball.

An untradeable list is a good idea but that will really limit trades and history shows that people really really enjoy doing trades. I mean Viakado traded his entire team away so did Pheeniks. We did the untradeable list in the past when Aka was the lead commissioner and it did work. I would be ok with it I guess. But some teams don't have two players that are work putting on that list.

Another way to do it is agree that any trade involving a player that is rated 80 or above must include a player rated 80 or above in return. We are about to see a couple of two for one deals that make some sense but will still give certain teams what can be considered an "unfair advantage".

What do you guys think about those options?

A.I. this season was traded to a perennial Eastern powerhouse. Nobody expected it. Why did Detroit do it? They thought it would make them a better team. Has it worked out so far? Not really. I did the same thing. Wanted to add another piece to my squad to make my team even better. It's not my job to water down my ambitions to win, it's your job to figure out how to stop me.

Trades were a big part of last season and everybody enjoyed it from what I can tell. Being sim while playing the game is one thing, but having fun and assembling your roster is a another. They can co-exist.

My team is rated a 67 OVR this season. 67.. It's pretty much a given that I need to make some moves to make the squad better. I believe I have some good pieces to offer that can do that.

That's my only thing against putting a type of restriction on trades. Nobody else is going to use your team but you for 30 games. So why should anybody else have any say so on what you do?

Cerrius said:
Dude.

You gave Brent Barry for Allen Iverson. It's not the same thing! :lol

See the problem is you all were so fixed on OHHHHHHHH ALLEN IVERSON. But nobody paid attention that daw couldn't do shit w/ him. He gets Barry and WATDOYAKNOW he wins like 6 games straight or whatever it was before he had to move and couldn't play anymore.

You all were way to obsessed with the names of the players and not how they helped each others team.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Smokey said:
A.I. this season was traded to a perennial Eastern powerhouse. Nobody expected it. Why did Detroit do it? They thought it would make them a better team. Has it worked out so far? Not really. I did the same thing.

Dude.

You gave Brent Barry for Allen Iverson. It's not the same thing! :lol

ecnal

i dont want foye or tp.

manu is interesting, but, like i said before, he's rated lower than jj in almost all categories. you're going to have to offer something more interesting to get me to bite on manu.

ecnal

Smokey said:
My team is rated a 67 OVR this season. 67.. It's pretty much a given that I need to make some moves to make the squad better. I believe I have some good pieces to offer that can do that.

ya, but in our league you get tmac and artest back... they're only rated so low because of the recent injuries.

so nothing has really changed from last season to this season other than many of your role players got significant rating boosts--namely brooks.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Smokey said:
See the problem is you all were so fixed on OHHHHHHHH ALLEN IVERSON. But nobody paid attention that daw couldn't do shit w/ him. He gets Barry and WATDOYAKNOW he wins like 6 games straight or whatever it was before he had to move and couldn't play anymore.

You all were way to obsessed with the names of the players and not how they helped each others team.

Not obsessed with the names. Only the ratings. You got a player that was rated high in every category important for a guard. He was rated 94. You gave up a player that was rated 79. And the only reason Barry was rated 79 is because his three point rating is 98. If his three point rating was 90 he would be a 74 probably.
So is the trade fair because Daw was better without Iverson? It might have been better for Daw sure. But it wasn't fair. You should have to give up something that has similar value. But that is over.

It's a new season and I know a vote would work.

People if you vote against a trade and Smokey and I do not get a pm explaining why they have voted against it then the vote will not count. A trade could get 5 votes against it and one for it and we will still allow it if there is not proof of why the trade should be disallowed.
The only trade that happened last season that was out of wack was the Iverson for Barry deal. But if the trade had been voted down, Smokey would have just given up another player like Head or Alston or something and everyone would have been fine. And we wouldn't have people still complaining about it.

A vote system will work. Trust me.

DCX

DCX
Truelize said:
Not obsessed with the names. Only the ratings. You got a player that was rated high in every category important for a guard. He was rated 94. You gave up a player that was rated 79. And the only reason Barry was rated 79 is because his three point rating is 98. If his three point rating was 90 he would be a 74 probably.
So is the trade fair because Daw was better without Iverson? It might have been better for Daw sure. But it wasn't fair. You should have to give up something that has similar value. But that is over.

It's a new season and I know a vote would work.

People if you vote against a trade and Smokey and I do not get a pm explaining why they have voted against it then the vote will not count. A trade could get 5 votes against it and one for it and we will still allow it if there is not proof of why the trade should be disallowed.
The only trade that happened last season that was out of wack was the Iverson for Barry deal. But if the trade had been voted down, Smokey would have just given up another player like Head or Alston or something and everyone would have been fine. And we wouldn't have people still complaining about it.

A vote system will work. Trust me.
Wait, so it was a 1 for 1 trade? I agree maybe a decent player thrown in to balance it out with trash going to Smokey would have been better.

DCX

ecnal said:
i dont want foye or tp.

manu is interesting, but, like i said before, he's rated lower than jj in almost all categories. you're going to have to offer something more interesting to get me to bite on manu.
its cool man. not worth trading trading away 3 solid players to get a player back just because he has a quick release.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
ecnal said:
it was iverson + kleiza for barry + howard.

it wasn't that overloaded of a trade lol.

I didn't even know there were more players involved. But really Howard for Kleiza is balanced so it still doesn't equal out.

Never mind that though. New season. Move on.

Smokey said:
whoever wants rockets can have them. i'm playing with the bobcats.
claphandss.gif

you sir are a man among geeks.

Ps- let's get this shit started!!!

DCX

DCX
Smokey said:
whoever wants rockets can have them. i'm playing with the bobcats.
:lol :lol :lol Dont do that...damn the hater bro, you're a champ and multiple time champ...be you, we're just jealous. I have only won one GAF League championship in MLB 2k7 i think. That's it. Some of us don't sniff a tin at all, you have more than we will EVER get. We need you to be you.

DCX

Smokey

Cerrius said:
when is the league getting created, whats the hold up

chrisjames hasn't said what team he wants or responded to my pms. so we'll see..but we may have to move on without him. i am online now though creating the league.

DCX said:
:lol :lol :lol Dont do that...damn the hater bro, you're a champ and multiple time champ...be you, we're just jealous. I have only won one GAF League championship in MLB 2k7 i think. That's it. Some of us don't sniff a tin at all, you have more than we will EVER get. We need you to be you.

DCX

nah man. i'm getting the sense that people think i only won season 6 ship just because i had the rockets. even though i won 2 in a row with the magic when they sucked badly, and have been in the championship every season ive been in this league (4). i only won b/c i had an all-star team etc. etc...

so it's cool.

i just played ecnal w/ the cats..had 8 players in double figures. it's cool i'll just be extra determined as if this was my first season (w/ the Magic) and was trying to make a name for myself at GAF.

Smokey said:
i just played ecnal w/ the cats..had 8 players in double figures. it's cool i'll just be extra determined as if this was my first season (w/ the Magic) and was trying to make a name for myself at GAF.
ugh.

Smokey

Name: GAF Season 7
Private: Yes
Password: destiny

Settings:

Hall of Fame
8 minute quarters
30 game season
16 team playoff
7 day interval
Best of 7 series throughout playoffs