• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

eznark

Banned
As I mentioned this morning I am looking to spend about $1500-$1700 on a PC. As I was browsing Borders I ran across MaximumPC which happened to be doing a feature on a $1500 "No-Compromises" PC. I picked it up and it does a nice run down of what you need and how to do it. Here is what they picked, what do you guys think?

Videocard: XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Motherboard: MSI p35 neo2-fr
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad q6600
Memory: 4GB DDR2/800
Case: Cooler Master CM Stacker
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (should I go with Vista instead?)
Hard Drive: Seagate 750GB BArracuda AS 7200.10
Optical Drive: Optiarc AD-7190A
Soundcard: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

What do you guys think? Keep in mind I'm not trying to build the ultimate gaming rig, just something that will play the latest and greatest right now, and be scalable for the future.

SleazyC

eznark said:
As I mentioned this morning I am looking to spend about $1500-$1700 on a PC. As I was browsing Borders I ran across MaximumPC which happened to be doing a feature on a $1500 "No-Compromises" PC. I picked it up and it does a nice run down of what you need and how to do it. Here is what they picked, what do you guys think?

Videocard: XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Motherboard: MSI p35 neo2-fr
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad q6600
Memory: 4GB DDR2/800
Case: Cooler Master CM Stacker
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (should I go with Vista instead?)
Hard Drive: Seagate 750GB BArracuda AS 7200.10
Optical Drive: Optiarc AD-7190A
Soundcard: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

What do you guys think? Keep in mind I'm not trying to build the ultimate gaming rig, just something that will play the latest and greatest right now, and be scalable for the future.
If you are going with 4GB of RAM as it won't be recognized in a 32-bit OS so you'll have to either get XP64 or Vista 64.

Do you need 750GB's of space if you just want to play games? Could probably save a couple bucks here by downgrading to a smaller HD, 320GB or 500GB.

The parts look good but I would just stress shopping around for deals on them. If you can stomach ordering from separate retailers and getting your parts arriving at different times you can usually save some pretty good money. Also don't be afraid of mail in rebates. I got about $350 back on the computer I built in August and it was worth waiting for the checks in the mail.

eznark

Banned
SleazyC said:
If you are going with 4GB of RAM as it won't be recognized in a 32-bit OS so you'll have to either get XP64 or Vista 64.

Do you need 750GB's of space if you just want to play games? Could probably save a couple bucks here by downgrading to a smaller HD, 320GB or 500GB.

The parts look good but I would just stress shopping around for deals on them. If you can stomach ordering from separate retailers and getting your parts arriving at different times you can usually save some pretty good money. Also don't be afraid of mail in rebates. I got about $350 back on the computer I built in August and it was worth waiting for the checks in the mail.

Well, they explain in the magazine why the 4 gig's are useful "Microsoft argues that even if the applications cannot use all 4GB of RAM, the OS and even the drivers will, so the additional head room does help"

I figure it's not that expensive so I have no problem going with it. Will this configuration gie me room to easily upgrade the machine as the parts warrant it?

Anyone know of any upcoming video cards with HDMI audio/video that supports the HD audio formats? Really what's holding me back from building a nice HTPC/gaming PC for my living room.

eznark

Banned
SleazyC said:

so it it worth it to get Vista at this point on a fresh new machine, or are the hassles for gaming too great?

Mrbob

Echoes said:

Yeah I've built a couple PCs now with the Gigabyte DS3L board and it is rock solid.

Make sure you are getting revision 2.0 before you order from amazon. I know newegg and clubit are both shipping revision 2.0. I don't know how quickly amazon goes through old stock though. It probably is the 2.0 revision already but I know clubit guarantees it:

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4830813

Very reliable site. Cheaper price than amazon as well.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys what is the best ATI cards on the market right now? Is it the ASUSTeK EAH3870X2?

I just read a post by a guy playing rFactor and he's getting 200FPS with this card!

giveme5be said:
I've recently built a new rig, and putted a 3870x2 in it...
Single card, 2 GPU's, and works brilliantly with rF, GTR, GTL, LFS, NKP, etc...

As a benchmark, with rFactor, I have absolutely everything on full, dx9, AAx4, AFx16, resolution 1680x1050 (widescreen), and it rocks at 200+ FPS !!

My complete specs:

Case: Cooler Master CAVALIER 3
Motherboard: ASUSTeK P5E3 Deluxe (Intel X38 Express)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 - Dual Core ! Socket 775 FSB1333 cache L2 4 Mo 0.065 micron
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700 LED
RAM: 3x Crucial Ballistix 1 Gb DDR3-SDRAM PC3-12800 8-8-8-24 - BL12864BA1608
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 500 Gb 7200 RPM 16 Mb Serial ATA II - WD5000AAKS
GPU: ASUSTeK EAH3870X2/G/HTDI/1Gb - 1 Gb TV-Out/Dual DVI - PCI Express (2 x ATI Radeon HD 3870)
Power supply: Corsair CMPSU-520HX - Alimentation 520W
DVD Writer: Samsung SH-S203B/BEBE - DVD(+/-)RW/RAM 20/8/20/6/12x DL(+/-) 16/12x CD-RW 48/32/48x SATA

Looks like I won't miss my 8800GTX. I switched from ATI to Nvidia last year with the 8800GTX and even though it plays other games great, I got the blurry/aliased issue with lines in the distance with Nvidia drivers, and yes I went through all the threads on helping to resolve it but after I tried everything it didn't cure it totally . . . and when ATI came out with this 3870x2 card I thought it was time to come back home

Is the 3870x2 worth getting over the nVidia 8800GTX ULtras? Also what is the next big ATI card on the horizon?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Mrbob said:
Isamu what do you think about the ATi cards?

Good question, Bob. I'm not sure myself.

Guys I would like to know what is the best ATI cards on the market right now? Is it the 3870X2?

I just read a post by a guy playing rFactor and he's getting 200FPS with this card!

giveme5be said:
I've recently built a new rig, and putted a 3870x2 in it...
Single card, 2 GPU's, and works brilliantly with rF, GTR, GTL, LFS, NKP, etc...

As a benchmark, with rFactor, I have absolutely everything on full, dx9, AAx4, AFx16, resolution 1680x1050 (widescreen), and it rocks at 200+ FPS !!

My complete specs:

Case: Cooler Master CAVALIER 3
Motherboard: ASUSTeK P5E3 Deluxe (Intel X38 Express)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 - Dual Core ! Socket 775 FSB1333 cache L2 4 Mo 0.065 micron
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700 LED
RAM: 3x Crucial Ballistix 1 Gb DDR3-SDRAM PC3-12800 8-8-8-24 - BL12864BA1608
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 500 Gb 7200 RPM 16 Mb Serial ATA II - WD5000AAKS
GPU: ASUSTeK EAH3870X2/G/HTDI/1Gb - 1 Gb TV-Out/Dual DVI - PCI Express (2 x ATI Radeon HD 3870)
Power supply: Corsair CMPSU-520HX - Alimentation 520W
DVD Writer: Samsung SH-S203B/BEBE - DVD(+/-)RW/RAM 20/8/20/6/12x DL(+/-) 16/12x CD-RW 48/32/48x SATA

Looks like I won't miss my 8800GTX. I switched from ATI to Nvidia last year with the 8800GTX and even though it plays other games great, I got the blurry/aliased issue with lines in the distance with Nvidia drivers, and yes I went through all the threads on helping to resolve it but after I tried everything it didn't cure it totally . . . and when ATI came out with this 3870x2 card I thought it was time to come back home

Is the 3870x2 worth getting over the nVidia 8800GTX ULtras? Also what is the next big ATI card on the horizon?

Kosma

Banned
isamu said:
Good question, Bob. I'm not sure myself.

Guys I would like to know what is the best ATI cards on the market right now? Is it the 3870X2?

I think the 3870X2 is top dog atm, but why would you bother? I mean most games even don't make good use of this kind of card :)

Thomper

A friend of mine linked me to a Dell-offer for this PC:

Intel® Core™2 Duo E6550 Processor (2,33 GHz, 1333 MHz, 4 MB cache)
2.048 MB 667 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2 x 1.024]
500 GB (7.200 rpm) Seriële ATA harde schijf met 16 MB DataBurst™-cache
256 MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2600 XT grafische kaart
16x DVD+/-RW-station
Dell™ Entry QuietKey USB-toetsenbord - VS Int. (QWERTY)
Dell optische USB-muis

Includes Vista, final price is about 490 euro's. Most of it seems pretty good, but I don't know anything about videocard, so.... is that any good? What would it be capable of, what would be the best-looking games it could handle? Any help would be much appreciated.

isamu

Mrbob said:
Yeah the 38070X2 is the best ATI card on the market right now.

8800GTX seems to hold its own against it though:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ1NCw4LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

BFGTECH 8800GTX for 360 after mail in rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143080

OK cool :)

I think I like ATI better because it doesn't suffer from the aliasing problems that plague nVidia cards. Not to mention the better image clarity ati cards offer.

Heard the 4xxx series of cards will be out this summer too. :drool:

Thomper said:

16x DVD+/-RW-station
Dell optische USB-muis

Includes Vista, final price is about 490 euro's. Most of it seems pretty good, but I don't know anything about videocard, so.... is that any good? What would it be capable of, what would be the best-looking games it could handle? Any help would be much appreciated.

The 2600 should be around the same as the 8600gt. Given that you are getting everything but the monitor, not a bad deal, but I don't really track how much things cost in europe.

Kosma

Banned
Thomper said:

16x DVD+/-RW-station
Dell optische USB-muis

That's a good deal imho if you're looking for a premade PC. I'd just swap the card for something with a little more power, you can do that yourself. With this setup you can expect to play stuff like HL2 and WoW just fine. If you swap the card, the sky is the limit.

As your're from the Netherlands, I could help you pick parts to build a PC yourself. For 490 euro's we could assemble a real beast. Just tell me if you want me to pick some stuff out for you.

Thomper

oo Kosma oo said:
That's a good deal imho if you're looking for a premade PC. I'd just swap the card for something with a little more power, you can do that yourself. With this setup you can expect to play stuff like HL2 and WoW just fine. If you swap the card, the sky is the limit.

As your're from the Netherlands, I could help you pick parts to build a PC yourself. For 490 euro's we could assemble a real beast. Just tell me if you want me to pick some stuff out for you.
I'd really appreciate that, thanks. Mouse and keyboard wouldn't be needed. :)

SleazyC

eznark said:
Well, they explain in the magazine why the 4 gig's are useful "Microsoft argues that even if the applications cannot use all 4GB of RAM, the OS and even the drivers will, so the additional head room does help"

I figure it's not that expensive so I have no problem going with it. Will this configuration gie me room to easily upgrade the machine as the parts warrant it?
Going with an Intel board now it'll be tough to say whether or not you have breathing room to upgrade since Intel is supposedly launching a totally new chip Nehalem that is supposedly their biggest overhaul since the P4 days. Alongside Nehalem Intel will also try to push forward DDR3 RAM so three key components will need to be replaced: CPU, RAM, motherboard. Now if you are talking about headroom in the Core 2 Duo/Quad line then if you get the appropriate motherboard you should be fine to upgrade there.

As far as Vista goes for gaming, it's really a mixed bag. I personally don't use it but many PC gamers here use it and claim they see little to no perfromance degradation. If you can find a copy cheap I guess I would say go for it.

Thomper

oo Kosma oo said:
Do you have a DVD Drive and HDD too maybe?
DVD-drive, yes, but I'm thinking of upgrading it to a DVD-writer. HDD no, the current one is only 30 GB so that would definately have to be upgraded.

MoxManiac

SleazyC said:
Going with an Intel board now it'll be tough to say whether or not you have breathing room to upgrade since Intel is supposedly launching a totally new chip Nehalem that is supposedly their biggest overhaul since the P4 days. Alongside Nehalem Intel will also try to push forward DDR3 RAM so three key components will need to be replaced: CPU, RAM, motherboard. Now if you are talking about headroom in the Core 2 Duo/Quad line then if you get the appropriate motherboard you should be fine to upgrade there.

As far as Vista goes for gaming, it's really a mixed bag. I personally don't use it but many PC gamers here use it and claim they see little to no perfromance degradation. If you can find a copy cheap I guess I would say go for it.

Isn't Nehalem supposedly going to have 8 cores or some craizness like that?

Danj

I made a new avatar that PC self-build lovers can use, if anyone's interested:

qyejrd.gif

Thomper

Danj said:

qyejrd.gif
It's not the building part that's hardest for most, it's the finding the parts you want to use. Even if someone hears that the 8800GT is a great card to use, there's six versions of it. Then there's finding the right motherboard and CPU, the case to fit it all - once you understand how it all works, it's easy to do, but if you don't know it yet, you might easily spend 100 bucks more on parts you don't really need.

Danj

Thomper said:
It's not the building part that's hardest for most, it's the finding the parts you want to use. Even if someone hears that the 8800GT is a great card to use, there's six versions of it. Then there's finding the right motherboard and CPU, the case to fit it all - once you understand how it all works, it's easy to do, but if you don't know it yet, you might easily spend 100 bucks more on parts you don't really need.

Right, but it just really ticks me off when people say things like "oh I couldn't possibly build my own, it's far too technical". All you need is the ability to use a screwdriver, plug cards into slots, and read instructions. As for why people should bother, well, it's like DIY - if you do it right you get great satisfaction from successfully completing it, plus you know exactly what parts were used and so you know it's not some substandard knockoff thing from the pound shop or whatever.

mr stroke

Danj said:

qyejrd.gif

the "your an idiot if you can't build a PC" mentality of elitest PC builders always pisses me off. Yes putting the parts together is fairly easy, but BIOS settings, installing software,drivers, etc.. can be a pain in the ass for alot of people. Plus the added bonus of having 24 hour tech support if something goes wrong can be priceless to alot of people. Fixing a car is not rocket science either but I still prefer to take my car to a mechanic.

Kosma

Banned
Thomper said:
DVD-drive, yes, but I'm thinking of upgrading it to a DVD-writer. HDD no, the current one is only 30 GB so that would definately have to be upgraded.

Ok I'll post a build for you tomorrow :)

JudgeN

Not sure if this has been asked but are 64 bit OS usable for gaming yet? And how useful are sound cards now a days when it comes to gaming?

xero273

MoxManiac said:
Isn't Nehalem supposedly going to have 8 cores or some craizness like that?

I haven't heard anything new since IDF. During IDF, they said Nehalem will come in 4 core and 8 core versions. Each core can do two threads.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So....after getting basically totally new components, I reinstalled XP and since it was OEM, it was a pain in the ass to me. Tried CS, automated operator couldnt recognize install ID, same with indian CS guy, sent me to tech but somehow call never got there. A multi billion dollar company with poor cs.
I decided I want to upgrade to Vista now. But I'm not sure which version to get. I have 4gb ram but 32 bit only recognizes 3. 64 bit is apparently more of a hassle and has way more uncompatibility. My main use is basically surfing, office works, multimedia, mainly winamp and vlc and a bit of gaming here and there. What do you guys think I should get?

Durante

So, I just upgraded. Didn't plan to do it so early actually but the current hardware prices were too tempting.

I'm now running a
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3200 MHz on a
Gigabyte P35-DS3R with
4 (2*2) GB Corsair DDR2 800 and a
Geforce 8800 GTS.

It's rock solid and near silent while still staying quite cool (I do have a rather elaborate cooling setup), and it's near the top-end of what's currently available off the shelf. And it cost me less than 750€ -- people that only started PC gaming recently probably don't fully appreciate how cheap that is.

I also upgraded to Vista 64, after some initial configuration problems (and deactivating UAC) I actually like a lot of the changes. The ubiqitous search boxes (start menu, explorer, etc) are great timesavers.

Kadey said:
What do you guys think I should get?
Get Vista 64. By now the compatibility issues are mostly gone and it's more future-proof. I use more exotic hardware than most people and I had no issues so far with any of it.

JudgeN said:
Not sure if this has been asked but are 64 bit OS usable for gaming yet? And how useful are sound cards now a days when it comes to gaming?
I just played The Witcher for 4 hours on Vista 64, and I have tried Dawn of War, Civilization 4 and STALKER before that. None had any problems.

Spike

Here's what I have:

Core2Duo 6400 @ 2.13GHz
2GB Ram
500GB HDD
Nvidia 7600GT 256MB

Is this an okay rig for Spore and StarCraft 2?

Kosma

Banned
Ok Thomper as promised, your 499 PC made by Alternate. With shipping it should be 499 euro. A great PC imho, with a very powerful GPU. The Mobo will let you upgrade to Quad Core if you want to in the future.

Only thing I didn't include is a new OS.

Grafische kaarten nVidia PCIe -

* GigaByte 9600GT
* NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, 512 MB, 256 bit
* € 149,-

CPUs Socket AM2 -

* AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4800+
* 2x 2500 MHz, 2x 512 kB, 2000 MT/s, Brisbane
* € 79,-

Voedingen tot 600 Watt -

* Chieftec GPS-450AA
* 450 Watt, 2 x, 7 x
* € 49,-

Behuizingen Midi Tower -

* Sharkoon Revenge Economy
* 4 x, 6 x
* € 35,-

DVD-reWriters IDE -

* AOpen DSW2012P
* 20 / 8 / 8 speed, 20 / 6 / 8 speed, 16 / 48 speed
* € 27,-

Moederborden Socket AM2+ -

* Asus M2N-XE
* NVIDIA nForce 430, 5.200 MT/s, Socket AM2+
* € 59,-

Harddisks 3,5 inch SATA -

* Hitachi Deskstar 7K160
* 160 GB, 8,8 / 8 / 7200, € 0,24*
* € 39,-

Geheugen DDR2-800 -

* Buffalo 2 GB DDR2-800 Kit
* 2048 MB, CL5 5-5-15, 2 stuk(s), PC2 6400
* € 35,-

Subtotaal:
€ 472,-

Thomper

Wow, thanks! I'll think I'll take a slightly larger hard-drive, 200 gb or something, shouldn't cost that much more. I'll also buy Vista Home Premium 32-bit, that should work right?

Oh, one more thing:
There's no case-fan in your list, but the PC-builder instruction-thing says:
De door u geselecteerde processor heeft een hoge voedingswaarde. Dit zorgt voor een veel warmteafgifte. Rust daarom het systeem met twee case-fans uit, alleen dan is voldoende koeling van de processor verzekerd.
Should I put any extra fans in, and if so, what kind?

Kosma

Banned
Thomper said:
Should I put any extra fans in, and if so, what kind?

Hmm, just about any fan will do. I thought that casing already had a fan though. Should be more then enough.

Vista 32 bit should work fine too, if you're a student you can get it cheap through surfspot.nl

If you aren't sure about assembling it yourself, Alternate can do that too for a fee (50 euro). But I say keep that money!

eznark

Banned
Danj said:
Right, but it just really ticks me off when people say things like "oh I couldn't possibly build my own, it's far too technical". All you need is the ability to use a screwdriver, plug cards into slots, and read instructions. As for why people should bother, well, it's like DIY - if you do it right you get great satisfaction from successfully completing it, plus you know exactly what parts were used and so you know it's not some substandard knockoff thing from the pound shop or whatever.

I just built my first computer (I've tinkered so I'm not totally inept) this weekend using mostly the specs I listed above. I was stumbling all over the internet trying to find the best parts to use in a rig under $2000 when I walked into CVS, saw a magazine (maximum pc I think) on the rack touting a $1500 PC build and picked it up. I went by those recommendations, went to a Micro Center here in Boston and got tips from a great salesmen (ended up with a different motherboard, Gigabyte, different power supply and a different video card 8800 GT).

That process took me about 2 months.

Building it was cake. Everything was put together and connected that evening and is working great (knock on wood). It's really a fantastic and satisfying feeling, and I honestly cannot wait til I need to start upgrading it...and will definitely not be buying any prebuilt computers any time soon.

Thomper

oo Kosma oo said:
Hmm, just about any fan will do. I thought that casing already had a fan though. Should be more then enough.

Vista 32 bit should work fine too, if you're a student you can get it cheap through surfspot.nl

If you aren't sure about assembling it yourself, Alternate can do that too for a fee (50 euro). But I say keep that money!
Can't really find anything about a fan being built in on the product page (http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/details.html?articleId=-1061298&showTechData=true#tecData) - it only says they're 'optional'. So... should i take the extra fan(s)? ;)

I've got a friend who could help assemble the PC for me, so I will certainly keep that money in my own pocket.

SleazyC

Just a heads up to anyone looking for a case to go with a new PC

Buy.com has the Antec 900 for $60 after mail in rebate -- link

Drops down to $50 if you haven't taken advantage of the $10 saved when using GoogleCheckout for the first time.

Pretty good case and it usually sells for about $100+

RJT

Does anyone know when Borys will be back? He's not banned forever, is he?
Without him the PCDF is not the same...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Installing Vista and it's sloooooooooooow as dirt. I'll need two days to reinstall every driver, program, files before I decide whether it was worth it. Though it does look much more sharp and prettier than XP even in this state.

Thomper

Kadey said:
Installing Vista and it's sloooooooooooow as dirt. I'll need two days to reinstall every driver, program, files before I decide whether it was worth it. Though it does look much more sharp and prettier than XP even in this state.
The installing is slow, or your PC is slow running Vista? From what you described of your PC, it sounds like it could handle Vista without too many problems...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I gotta say Vista 64 is absolutely retarded right now. I can't even enter threads with images without IE complaining and then shutting down.

I want a new PC but my gf knows I'm just going to use it to play games so she won't let me. I guess I'll just have to ride out my P4 (with Hyper Threading!) until it dies.

Slo

What the hell does your girlfriend have to say about it? :lol :lol :lol

Christ, you shouldn't be talking like that atleast until you're married!

zoku88

Kadey said:
I gotta say Vista 64 is absolutely retarded right now. I can't even enter threads with images without IE complaining and then shutting down.
Yea, you shouldn't really use IE....

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What kind of OS doesn't let you view simple web pages? VISTA!!!! I think I'm about to kill myself. I been trying to view the mgs page like 20 times now and it just keeps rebooting IE. :lol

Kosma

Banned
Kadey I forgot to say: Sweet monitor!

Jamesfrom818 said:
I want a new PC but my gf knows I'm just going to use it to play games so she won't let me. I guess I'll just have to ride out my P4 (with Hyper Threading!) until it dies.

Be a man!

Ever since I've told my gf I'm going backpacking with my friends she's been very happy with every game related thing I purchase, more money spent = less time abroad. I suggest you trick your gf in believing you're going traveling if you want her to agree to new stuff.

Kadey said:
What kind of OS doesn't let you view simple web pages? VISTA!!!! I think I'm about to kill myself. I been trying to view the mgs page like 20 times now and it just keeps rebooting IE. :lol

IE.......................................................

Danj said:

qyejrd.gif

Great work. Could you make a bit smaller? I'd really like to use that in another forum, but it only allows avatars with 20kb max.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What browser do you suggest?

I even errored on MS's own web page for dling a patch for 64bit 4gb+ ram install.

Top Bottom