• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

SleazyC

decon said:
Hey all. I've been thinking about upgrading my current system with a new CPU, GFX, Mainboard and RAM. Here's what I've come up with, how does it look?

Dunno what mainboard I should be going with though, any ideas?
Check out the Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3L or R out. Cheap but very solid board.

Durante

SleazyC said:
I'll add another recommendation for this line of boards. Bought a DS3R 10 days ago and am very happy with it.

TaeOH

SleazyC said:
The early word out on the 9800GX2's are that they have bad driver support (as they should since the thing hasn't officially launched yet) but the preliminary benchmarks show an 11%+ gain. These are quite a bit off from Nvidia's claimed 30% increase over the 8800GTX. I don't think we will see accurate benchmarks for a couple more weeks, or until Nvidia releases proper drivers.

I have a friend who is waiting on this card. He had GTX's SLI'd but when his 680i board fried, he replaced it with the P35 board I got for my build because he had so many RAM headaches with his fried board. He sold his extra GTX and has been waiting for the next single slot solution that will beat his old SLI set up. He is pretty sold on Nvidia, but I have been pointing out the 3870X2 benches to him. Really though, neither kill a single OC'd GTX.

Doytch

SleazyC said:

Gonna third this recommendation. It's overclocked my E6600 well, and has a nice amount of features. Only minor problem was that headphone front jack sensing doesn't work yet in Linux...if you care...which you probably don't. :lol

Crysis crashes all the time now that I enabled SLI on my rig (rocking two 8800GTs). It's updated witht he latest patch, what's the deal?

Cheeto

SlaughterX said:
Crysis crashes all the time now that I enabled SLI on my rig (rocking two 8800GTs). It's updated witht he latest patch, what's the deal?
Which video drivers are you using?

Doytch said:
Gonna third this recommendation. It's overclocked my E6600 well, and has a nice amount of features. Only minor problem was that headphone front jack sensing doesn't work yet in Linux...if you care...which you probably don't. :lol

Fourth. I overclocked my e2160 with this board and it has been great. I have a problem with my front headphone jack as well, but I'm not sure if it is the board or my case.

Just installed them, World in Conflict appears to run worse... also Crysis isn't running any better. SLi is supposed to increase performance, damn it!

Cheeto

SlaughterX said:
Just installed them, World in Conflict appears to run worse... also Crysis isn't running any better. SLi is supposed to increase performance, damn it!
That sucks, SLI can be pretty hit or miss sometimes. Make sure you are completely removing drivers before installing new or old ones.

quick question from a PC noob. My monitor supports DVI-D but the 8800GTS outputs DVI-I? what cable would I need to get for it to work? am I wrong in assuming I need a dual-link DVI-D M/M cable?

Hooker

Any DVI-D cable will do. the Dual-Link is only for resolution above something I can't remember right now. I believe it was for 1920*1200+ (30" monitors basically)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Crysis and SLI do not mix. There are custom drivers out there 174.51 which are supposed to help out but I already screwed up several times so I won't take any more chances personally.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Looks like Intel isn't playing around. Six core before the end of the year.

" In a conference call from intel yesterday details where revealed on Intels up-coimg Dunnington, the company's upcoming six-core server part; Nehalem, the next-generation architecture that will supplant Core 2 processors later this year; and Larrabee, Intel's forthcoming discrete graphics processor.

Dunnington feature six cores, 16MB of L3 cache, and a staggering 1.9 billion transistors. Dunnington's six cores will all be Core 2-based, and the processor will slip into the same Caneland platform as today's Socket 604, Xeon 7300-series CPUs. Dunnington appears to be a single-die product, unlike Intel's four-core offerings that are just two dual-core dies tacked together on the same package. Shipments are due some time in the second half of the year.

Then Intel chatted about Nehalem which boasts the Core microarchitecture that's at the heart of most Intel CPUs today, and we've known for a while that it will bring several major enhancements, like the addition of an integrated memory controller and the QuickPath point-to-point interconnect (the answer to AMD's HyperTransport). it'll feature a three-channel DDR3 memory controller with support for DDR3 speeds as high as 1333MHz. The triple-channel controller will appear on both desktop and server/workstation offerings, and it will support three memory modules per channel. Using current 2GB DDR3-1333 modules, that means you'd be able to cram 18GB of RAM into a single desktop PC and yield a theoretical maximum of 31.99GB/s of bandwidth—impressive, to say the least. Interestingly, Nehalem chips will only feature 256KB of L2 cache per core and 8MB of L3 cache per chip. That's a little on the light side compared to Intel's existing 45nm quad-core parts, which have 12MB of L2 cache (one shared 6MB L2 cache per die). AMD's upcoming 45nm quad-core offerings, for reference, will have 512KB of L2 cache per core and 6MB of L3 cache per chip. Intel expects Nehalem to hit production in the fourth quarter of this year

Then the focus was Intel's graphics solution in development under codename Larrabee. Larrabee will combine a large array of Intel Architecture (i.e. x86) cores with a brand-new cache architecture, a new vector instruction set, and a new vector processing unit. Gelsinger specified that Larrabee's programmable architecture will allow it to accelerate anything from high-definition video and audio processing to physics, artificial intelligence, and global illumination. it's confirmed that Larrabee will be compatible with DirectX and OpenGL application programming interfaces, so Larrabee should be able to run existing games. Intel plans to show its first demos of Larrabee in action later this year, with a product launch to follow in either 2009 or 2010. " From guru3d.

aznpxdd

Well, my old computer broke about a month ago, finally tested it yesterday and found that it was a dead mobo. Its pretty much impossible to replace my mobo since first, its a Shuttle XPC (really small) and second, its socket 754 (extinct). Then...Fry's shown me the light with its sale on E8400 and Gigabyte P35-DS3L combo...so I went and done it!

Intel E8400 + Tuniq Tower (plan to push this guy to at least 4Ghz)
Gigabyte-p35-ds3l
A-Data 4GB 2x2gb pc6400
eVGA 8800GT 512mb
Audigy 2 ZS (from old)
WD Raptor 74gb
Seagate 320gb x 2 (from old)
Corsair 520hx
Lian Li PC-A05B

Can't wait to put it together this weekend.

MoxManiac

Kadey said:
Looks like Intel isn't playing around. Six core before the end of the year.

" In a conference call from intel yesterday details where revealed on Intels up-coimg Dunnington, the company's upcoming six-core server part; Nehalem, the next-generation architecture that will supplant Core 2 processors later this year; and Larrabee, Intel's forthcoming discrete graphics processor.

Dunnington feature six cores, 16MB of L3 cache, and a staggering 1.9 billion transistors. Dunnington's six cores will all be Core 2-based, and the processor will slip into the same Caneland platform as today's Socket 604, Xeon 7300-series CPUs. Dunnington appears to be a single-die product, unlike Intel's four-core offerings that are just two dual-core dies tacked together on the same package. Shipments are due some time in the second half of the year.

Then Intel chatted about Nehalem which boasts the Core microarchitecture that's at the heart of most Intel CPUs today, and we've known for a while that it will bring several major enhancements, like the addition of an integrated memory controller and the QuickPath point-to-point interconnect (the answer to AMD's HyperTransport). it'll feature a three-channel DDR3 memory controller with support for DDR3 speeds as high as 1333MHz. The triple-channel controller will appear on both desktop and server/workstation offerings, and it will support three memory modules per channel. Using current 2GB DDR3-1333 modules, that means you'd be able to cram 18GB of RAM into a single desktop PC and yield a theoretical maximum of 31.99GB/s of bandwidth—impressive, to say the least. Interestingly, Nehalem chips will only feature 256KB of L2 cache per core and 8MB of L3 cache per chip. That's a little on the light side compared to Intel's existing 45nm quad-core parts, which have 12MB of L2 cache (one shared 6MB L2 cache per die). AMD's upcoming 45nm quad-core offerings, for reference, will have 512KB of L2 cache per core and 6MB of L3 cache per chip. Intel expects Nehalem to hit production in the fourth quarter of this year

Then the focus was Intel's graphics solution in development under codename Larrabee. Larrabee will combine a large array of Intel Architecture (i.e. x86) cores with a brand-new cache architecture, a new vector instruction set, and a new vector processing unit. Gelsinger specified that Larrabee's programmable architecture will allow it to accelerate anything from high-definition video and audio processing to physics, artificial intelligence, and global illumination. it's confirmed that Larrabee will be compatible with DirectX and OpenGL application programming interfaces, so Larrabee should be able to run existing games. Intel plans to show its first demos of Larrabee in action later this year, with a product launch to follow in either 2009 or 2010. " From guru3d.

16MB cache :eek: wow

NIghtWolf

MoxManiac said:
16MB cache :eek: wow

wow, I'll get one of those at fall...

In other news, I just mounted my PC YAY!!!!!!!!!!! but no monitor :( , I managed to make it looks clean inside hiding the psu cables and the fans connectors around the case (it was hard to close the external left cover of the case but I did it). Still i have that huge and ugly IDE cable for my two DVD-drives, I'll get two sata ones (one going to be blu-ray rw) and another DL-RW sata dvd, just to get rid of the IDE conecctor.

NIghtWolf

Sorry for the double post (doing it so it can be bumped), im having problem with the pc, I build it but still need the gpu to start using it. Either way I decided to turn it on to see how is going to look when its turned on, soon as I press the power button and the lights and the fans start working one second later it shuts down again.

What could it be? Maybe the PSU? or something is not connected right?

Edit: I meant gpu, not cpu.

Momar

aka Ryder
Woohoo! Just got my new mobo/cpu/RAM combo installed, loving it.

I got a Xeon 3110 (E8400 clone, CPU-Z actually even shows it as an Intel Core 2 Duo), eVGA 780i Mobo, and 2 gigs crucial ballistix ddr2800 (for $35 after rebate, crazy cheap).

I'm a bit disappointed though, I also got two new Zalman VF900's for my two 8800GT's, and while I could fit one of them, because of the mobo's funky PCI-E card placement, one of the rubber screws on the cooler is blocked by a capacitor on my soundcard :(. So now I've got one with the stock cooler still, and one with the VF900 (idling at 43C, down from ~55). Damn! :(

Chris R

got my yearly bonus today and it was quite a bit larger than I though... :lol might be making a PC earlier than I though, or I might just wait for Nehalem like I was planing on.

I have a question and you can flame me since it might be potentially dumb..

If I build a new computer and use my old HDD, do I have to wipe the drive clean and reinstall windows? Or can I just plug everything together, boot it and it'll just recognize the new hardware automatically?

xero273

Gully State said:

If I build a new computer and use my old HDD, do I have to wipe the drive clean and reinstall windows? Or can I just plug everything together, boot it and it'll just recognize the new hardware automatically?

reformat and reinstall windows. If you just plug it in, Windows will have your old hardware info and it can cause problems.

Chris R

Gully State said:

It might work, but it wouldn't be pretty. Drivers can be a bitch to get working from anything but a blank state. IMO get your data off, format, and start anew.

SleazyC

Gully State said:

From my experience, massive hardware changes and keeping an old partition of Windows don't really mix well together. I've always had too many problems to bother trying to fix and just reformat instead. Maybe you could try repairing the installation but I would just format.

NIghtWolf

Any guesses to what can be causing my pc not lasting more than 1 second ON?

I have:

pk5 mobo
900 case
moncaso PSU 500 watts
2x DVD-RW drives
1 Sata HDD
e2160 Dual Core

maladroid

So, I'll be getting a new computer next week (hopefully), and was hoping some GAFfers could give me some help/advice. My budget is $1400(AU), and will be getting most parts from MSY (price list here).

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 [~243]
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3 [130]
RAM: Kingston 2GB Kit-800 [53]
GPU: Gigabyte 8800GT [269]
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB [86]
DVD: Asus DRW-2014L1T [37]
CASE: Antec Sonata III [178]
O/S: OEM MS 32 bit Vista Home Premium [136]
LCD: Acer P193WB [223]
MOUSE: Logitech MX400 [34]

Total: $1389

Are there any changes that need to be made?

Cheeto

NIghtWolf said:
Any guesses to what can be causing my pc not lasting more than 1 second ON?

I have:

pk5 mobo
900 case
moncaso PSU 500 watts
2x DVD-RW drives
1 Sata HDD
e2160 Dual Core
No Ram?

Kosma

Banned
WhatRuOn said:

:lol

shiwasu said:
Are there any changes that need to be made?

I'm not sure if that E8200 is such a good deal, the E8400 is, but the E8200 is almost as expensive as far as I know but much less powerful. Also you casing is pretty damn expensive :)

Rig looks very nice though.

Gully State said:

It could work, and Starcraft 2 might come out next month. Chances are as others have said you will have to reinstall, I had too.

Ripclawe

Banned
Praise Intel and Compusa. wha?

Order a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L with G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) and Intel Core 2 Duo E4500.

Did the minimum to see if it would post, nothing. Did the whole move the memory, check the connectors, see if there is any short...etc. Still nothing. Power supply was good. The board is dead, wonderful.

I had to get this working by Sunday, I went to Compusa and grab the Intel BOXDG33FBC LGA 775

Came home, did the min post.... works
10 mins later I have everything hooked up and it works like a charm right out of the box.

Now I have to RMA the giga and make sure I remember never to get that brand again.

So far, WoW looks tremendous and no lag in Shatt City so I consider this a success for now.

Mr. Hyde

Ordered a F131 model PC from Maingear today.

E8400 OC'D
750W Silverstone PSU
Geforce 8800 GT 512MB OC'D
2 gigs Kingston HyperX 1066
Vista premium 64-bit (buying a couple more gigs of ram off newegg soon)
Western Digital Caviar 500 gig 16mb cache
20 in 1 flash reader
20x Lite-On dual layer burner
Nvidia 780I board
Zalman Pipe cooler

1608 total after shipping.

I haven't bought a new pc in years and I decided to go with maingear instead of building one. I am selling my old 1.6ghz to my brother's work for 300-400 bucks.

NIghtWolf

WhatRuOn said:

:( u kno there is (corsair 2GB). I just tried with a old psu (at 2xx watts and something and it worked just fine) then i though it was the psu went to bb and brought and antec one (430 watts) same thing happening, computer turn on then off. I will get a gpu and then try, maybe i just need more power so the pc keeps going...I don't kno....8800gt sigh.

Ironman11

NIghtWolf said:
:( u kno there is (corsair 2GB). I just tried with a old psu (at 2xx watts and something and it worked just fine) then i though it was the psu went to bb and brought and antec one (430 watts) same thing happening, computer turn on then off. I will get a gpu and then try, maybe i just need more power so the pc keeps going...I don't kno....8800gt sigh.
That sounds like what happened when I had a bad Gigabyte DS3L board. If you've checked the RAM and PSU, then sounds like your motherboard is bad.

Except for having to RMA that one DS3-L though, I still love Gigabyte's boards. My rig is running great with a DS3R and Q6600 overclocked nicely, and I've built two PCs with DS3Ls for friends with a E2160/2180 and overclocking was great there too.

dfyb

Banned
i've been out of the PC hardware loop for a while, but i'm planning on getting the following to get a desktop up and running:

ABIT AN-M2HD (LE) AM2+/AM2 GeForce7050PV/ nForce630a HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor
Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (will get more ram later)

and this 20-24 pin PSU adapter so i can use my old PSU. my PSU is an Enermax 330w and i'm curious if you guys think that will suffice for these new parts. i'll be using the onboard audio/video for a while at least - likely have 2 HDD's and a DVD drive connected.

more detailed info on my PSU - http://upload.dfyb.net/uploaded/PSU.jpg

Top Bottom