• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

mr stroke

oo Kosma oo said:
Firefox would be a start, I honestly thought all the people where using it already :)

I have always used IE, I have both FF and IE installed but I can't understand what makes FF better?
Can you tell me what makes FF a better web experience than IE?

RJT

mr stroke said:
I have always used IE, I have both FF and IE installed but I can't understand what makes FF better?
For one, it's years ahead of IE (tabs, plugins, etc.). The last version of IE has much of the features FF had for years, but you can expect FF to be updated sooner. Plus, FF has a much better performance.

Durante

mr stroke said:
Many things, but above all else the holy trinity of addons: Mouse Gestures, Adblock plus and Customize Google.

I'm running FF 3.0 Beta 4 right now and the performance improvements are remarkable. And full page zoom is also nice.

1-D_FTW

I would add noscript, flashblock, and DownThemAll (or some download accelerator) to that list. And, yes, Firefox 3 is really nice. And only one extension of mine (a worthless one I never used anyway) doesn't work with it.

Davidion

1-D_FTW said:
I would add noscript, flashblock, and DownThemAll (or some download accelerator) to that list. And, yes, Firefox 3 is really nice. And only one extension of mine (a worthless one I never used anyway) doesn't work with it.

Really, even with the most bare minimum essential add-ons like adblock and tab extensions, Firefox is just a more more compact, efficient, and flat out faster browser than IE.

1-D_FTW

True. But it's like a drug. Over time, you get more and more hardcore.

In fact, I just went to check out the extensions after posting, and saw a PDF entension that was "highly recommended" and just installed that. Sounds pretty cool on paper.

Davidion

1-D_FTW said:
True. But it's like a drug. Over time, you get more and more hardcore.

In fact, I just went to check out the extensions after posting, and saw a PDF entension that was "highly recommended" and just installed that. Sounds pretty cool on paper.

Don't even start, I have so many "USEFUL" extensions installed that I never ever used. Every time I read the extensions page I keep getting a mental image of using the browser like some crack web navigation machine and practically swimming through the net, grabbing pages and data like some insane seasoned archivist.

At the end of the day, click, double-click, middle-click, alt back, alt forward, is still all I ever use. :lol There are so many installed extensions that I don't use.

Funny thing is, it still runs faster than IE. :lol

oo Kosma oo said:
Be a man!

Ever since I've told my gf I'm going backpacking with my friends she's been very happy with every game related thing I purchase, more money spent = less time abroad. I suggest you trick your gf in believing you're going traveling if you want her to agree to new stuff.

She's just going to want to go with me. While going on vacation with her isn't a bad thing, it doesn't solve the PC problem.

mr stroke

looks like the 9800GX2 is now going on sale, anyone going to bite?

geforce_9800_gx2.jpg

598$ :0

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=0110040015013_BQ40101P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

Kosma

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
She's just going to want to go with me. While going on vacation with her isn't a bad thing, it doesn't solve the PC problem.

Well tell her you want to go solo.

Slo said:

Wow what?

mr stroke said:

598$ :0

That's more then my entire pc :lol

SRG01

Already cross posted to the Canada gaming deals thread, but for those in Canada who are looking for the 3850, FS has it for $179.97, which is a pretty good price for a B&M.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Okay, everything is as with old setup.

So my conclusion,

Vista 64 bit premium is totally worth the $109 I spent on it. With the right drivers, components and getting used to certain things, it looks far better and runs just as good as XP. Now all those permissons are annoying but you can turn it off somehow. And don't use IE.

J-Rzez

mr stroke said:

Naw, I'm still really content with my 8800GTS 512, it's stellar with gaming and media. At this point, i think i'm going to wait for the next family of cards/chipsets beyond the 9800 family.

mr stroke

Kadey said:
Okay, everything is as with old setup.

So my conclusion,

Vista 64 bit premium is totally worth the $109 I spent on it. With the right drivers, components and getting used to certain things, it looks far better and runs just as good as XP. Now all those permissons are annoying but you can turn it off somehow. And don't use IE.

Anyone know how to turn off those damn permissions, I just started using Vista 2 days ago, and those damn permissions are driving crazy

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Go to control panel. Type in user account in the search box. Look for turn off/on user account UAC control. Turn it off and restart. Now the bastard won't ask any more questions.

bee

dont wait for the 9800 series, the 9800gx2 is just 2 underclocked 8800gts 512 for more money than 2 seperate ones although admittedly it doesn't require a sli mobo also the 9800gtx is just a mildly overclocked 8800gts 512mb and is certainly no big upgrade from the 8800 series

Cheeto

mr stroke said:
Anyone know how to turn off those damn permissions, I just started using Vista 2 days ago, and those damn permissions are driving crazy
Control Panel -> User Accounts -> 'Turn on/off UAC' on the sidebar.

Note: From Memory.

mr stroke

Mr. Hyde said:
How is this PC that costco sells? Way overpriced for what it comes with?

I would stay away from anything ibuypower or cyberpower(same company)
they are known to be unstable, missing parts, and have terible tech and warranty support(main reason to buy pre-made)...check them out on resellerratings.com and you can see the pages of bad feedback....if your going to buy pre-built I would stick with Dell,Maingear,AVAdirect, or Falcon-nw(if you have deep pockets)

good luck..

Mr. Hyde

mr stroke said:
I would stay away from anything ibuypower or cyberpower(same company)
they are known to be unstable, missing parts, and have terible tech and warranty support(main reason to buy pre-made)...check them out on resellerratings.com and you can see the pages of bad feedback....if your going to buy pre-built I would stick with Dell,Maingear,AVAdirect, or Falcon-nw(if you have deep pockets)

good luck..

I hear mix things about cyberpower. My friend has bought his last two pcs from them and swears by them, and my other friend loves his. Plus costco gives a 2 year warranty and a full 90 day refund if anything is wrong. I'll make sure to research it before investing, though.

Mr. Hyde

I fell in love with Maingear after looking at their cases and configurations. I am not knowledgeable enough on pc hardware to know if it would compete with the pc at costco, but it sure seems nicer.

Any thoughts on this config?

qwzif8.jpg

BlizzyAzz

sonataiii_q.jpg

Just ordered that baby, it's a nice budget gaming machine with a nice oc potential if needed.

Intel Pentium Dualcore E2180 "Tray", LGA775
XFX GeForce 9600GT 650M ,512MB DDR3, PCI-Express
2048MB-KIT DDR2 MDT , PC6400/800, CL5
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 ,Intel P35, ATX, PCI-Express
Antec Sonata III, ATX, 500 Watt
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Sockel 775
Samsung HD753LJ 750GB S-ATA II, 32MB Cache
Samsung SH-D163B SATA Bulk schwarz
Samsung SH-S203D bulk schwarz

562,12 €

Jacobi

Banned
BlizzyAzz said:
Just ordered that baby, it's a nice budget gaming machine with a nice oc potential if needed.

Intel Pentium Dualcore E2180 "Tray", LGA775
XFX GeForce 9600GT 650M ,512MB DDR3, PCI-Express
2048MB-KIT DDR2 MDT , PC6400/800, CL5
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 ,Intel P35, ATX, PCI-Express
Antec Sonata III, ATX, 500 Watt
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Sockel 775
Samsung HD753LJ 750GB S-ATA II, 32MB Cache
Samsung SH-D163B SATA Bulk schwarz
Samsung SH-S203D bulk schwarz

562,12 €
Moar like 50,000

Momar

aka Ryder
Is it absolutely impossible to find an E8400 or what? It is sold out everywhere.

Anyone have any advice?

I am trying to find an e8400 too. I have been thinking of building a new computer while. Last time I built a computer was about 3 and a half years ago. I am still using AMD Athlon Barton Core 2800+ with a Asus motherboard.

So Just bought--
Antec Sonata III w PSU
GigaByte ga-ep35-DS3R
Artic Cooling CPU
Artic Thermal Paste
XFX 9600 GT
2Gbx2 DDR2-800 RAM

All that I have left to buy is a CPU(either e8400 or Q6600). I already have other stuff. Thank you everyone for your advices. I made informed purchases because of them.

Momar

aka Ryder
I'm reading that the Xeon 3110 is the exact same chip as the e8400, however I'm not brave enough to test this myself, so I'm going to keep googling. In the meantime, has anyone here used a 3110 in place of an 8400? Anything I should know about? I'm pretty close to just dropping the cash on the Xeon.

Munin

So people, tell me! 8800 GT or 9600 GT? They seem to be pretty similar price- and performance-wise but I'd still like to hear some opinions, I have a pretty limited budget and want best bang for the buck...

vilmer_

Munin said:
So people, tell me! 8800 GT or 9600 GT? They seem to be pretty similar price- and performance-wise but I'd still like to hear some opinions, I have a pretty limited budget and want best bang for the buck...

What res do you plan on playing at? If you are going to be gaming at anything higher than 1280x1024, go with the 8800GT.

Munin

I still have an old crummy 17" CRT that I'm pretty satisfied with (well for now, anyway), so I doubt I'd be going higher. Thanks for the suggestion then, guess I'll just grab a 9600 GT, which should be enough for my needs I think. I just want to play all the newer games at decent settings, I don't need extremely high resolutions or 200x AA/AF, so I guess as long as the 9600 GT lets me do that, I'm set.

Another question then. Since I want to save as much money as possible. I still have a 350W PSU in my old PC. Would that still be enough to feed a 9600GT and an Intel Q6600, along with 3-4 USB devices, 2 HDDs and 1 DVD drive?? Or am I better off buying a new PSU? :/

Also, any recommendations on a cheap, but high quality motherboard? I've been eying the MSI P7N but maybe there's something better in regards to the level of price/performance I'm trying to pinpoint...

Mr. Hyde

Should I go with the E8400 dual core or wait for the new Q9450 quad core? A lot of people say the E8400 is amazing, but others say quad core is more future proof. I'm thinking true quad core usage is a long ways off, but I'm still a bit hesitant on my purchase.

vilmer_

Mr. Hyde said:
Should I go with the E8400 dual core or wait for the new Q9450 quad core? A lot of people say the E8400 is amazing, but others say quad core is more future proof. I'm thinking true quad core usage is a long ways off, but I'm still a bit hesitant on my purchase.

I would just get the 8400.

SRG01

oo Kosma oo said:
9800GX2 vs 3870X2: seem we got a new king in town!

The results are very impressing.

1205662232.jpg

1205662295.jpg

Actually, that's not impressive at all. The 3870X2 is still beating the 9800GX2 in the 4xAA tests. Judging by the 0xAA tests, I would've expected it to do much better.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Ryder said:
I'm reading that the Xeon 3110 is the exact same chip as the e8400, however I'm not brave enough to test this myself, so I'm going to keep googling. In the meantime, has anyone here used a 3110 in place of an 8400? Anything I should know about? I'm pretty close to just dropping the cash on the Xeon.

Is the 3110 even available? It seems to be sold out most places I've checked.

Advice: If you need a processor right now and can't wait, you'll have to step into a quad core or step down into the old C2D chips. So, Q6600 or E6750. If you can wait, wait.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Mr. Hyde said:

It's about as future proof as the E8400. By the time quad is fully utilized, there will be better quads out and even six cores and up. Meanwhile for now, the E8400 and 8500 are better for pure gaming. And because they can be OCed to obscene levels, that makes their purchase price well worth it. Amazon has the E8400 for $400 right now but I'd check newegg multiple times a day to see if one is in stock. The $240 isn't so bad. Just make sure you get stuff straighten out with them. I think the success is starting to get to them.

SleazyC

The early word out on the 9800GX2's are that they have bad driver support (as they should since the thing hasn't officially launched yet) but the preliminary benchmarks show an 11%+ gain. These are quite a bit off from Nvidia's claimed 30% increase over the 8800GTX. I don't think we will see accurate benchmarks for a couple more weeks, or until Nvidia releases proper drivers.

SRG01

These tests seem to indicate that the 3870X2 is a AA/AF monster, but that the 9800GX2 beats it on raw power disregarding those effects. But everyone uses AA/AF.

That being said, it's clear that both systems are bottlenecked at the lower resolutions. It would be interesting to see what the results are without the bottleneck.

decon

Hey all. I've been thinking about upgrading my current system with a new CPU, GFX, Mainboard and RAM. Here's what I've come up with, how does it look?
RAM: Corsair Twin2X (XMS2) 2x1024MB DDR2, PC6400 DDR800, CAS 4-4-4-12, TWIN2X2048-6400C4
CPU: Core 2 Duo (Wolfdale) Model E8400 (3.0GHz), Dual Core, EM64T, 1333FSB, 6MB Cache (LGA775), BOX
GFX: Inno3D - GeForce 8800GT PCI-E 512MB GDDR3
Dunno what mainboard I should be going with though, any ideas?

Top Bottom