• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Kosma

Banned
dfyb said:
i'm curious if you guys think that will suffice for these new parts. i'll be using the onboard audio/video for a while at least - likely have 2 HDD's and a DVD drive connected.

Until you get a new GPU you should be fine with that PSU I think.

maladroid

oo Kosma oo said:
I'm not sure if that E8200 is such a good deal, the E8400 is, but the E8200 is almost as expensive as far as I know but much less powerful.
The E8400 was the CPU I wanted, but it's out of stock at most places, and the places that have them are charging $350+ for it. The E8200 is the next best thing, I think, but even that's in shortage. At this point, I might have to settle for the E6750 if I want to get a new computer anytime soon.
oo Kosma oo said:
Also you casing is pretty damn expensive :)
Should I get something cheaper? Will the NSK6580 do?
oo Kosma oo said:
Rig looks very nice though.
Thanks.

Tomshardware is having a System builder marathon.

Yesterday they posted their low cost system

CPU AMD Quad Core Phenom 9500 $190.00
CPU Cooler Cooler master HyperTX 2 $25.00
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H $100.00
RAM Wintec Ampo DDR2 PC2-6400 - 2 GB $43.00
Graphics HIS Radeon 3870 ICEQ Turbo $230.00
Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar 500 GB $95.00
Sound Integrated high Definition Audio $0.00
Case NZXT Apollo $70.00
Power NZXT PP600W $70.00
DVD-RW Sony Optiarc DVD-RW $14.00
Total Price $837

And Today is the mid cost system

CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 $540
CPU Cooler Cooler master HyperTX 2 $25
Motherboard Asus P5N-T Deluxe $250
RAM Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 PC2-6400 - 4GB $128
Graphics EVGA GeForce 8800GTX, 768MB $415
Hard Drive 1x Western Digital Raptor 150GB $170
1x Western Digital Caviar 500GB $95
Sound Integrated SoundMax High-Definition Audio $0
Case Antec Nine Hundred $120
Power PC Power & Cooling Silencer S75Q 750W $160
DVD-RW 2x Sony Optiarc DVD-RW $28
Total Price $1,931

# Day 3: The High-Cost PC - To Be Published on Wednesday
# Day 4: All Three PCs Overclocked - To Be Published on Thursday
# Day 5: Summary: The Price-Performance Winner - To Be Published on Friday

botkiller

I've been using a 512MB X1900XT for about a year and a half now and I'm thinking about upgrading to a 512MB 9600GT. I haven't been able to find any 9600GT reviews that I can compare to those of the X1900XT, so I'm not sure if this is actually a good decision.

Basically, is the 9600GT faster/better than the X1900XT?

Cheeto

bee said:
a mid cost system with a $540 cpu hahaha toms hardware still giving awesome advice i see
:lol

Toms Hardware is good for their dynamic charts...thats about it though.

botkiller said:
Basically, is the 9600GT faster/better than the X1900XT?

Yes, it'd be an upgrade, actually a pretty nice upgrade.

Spruchy

Could anyone help me build a computer strictly for playing HD video files to my screen. Basically a low tech Media computer. Not sure whats exactly needed.

botkiller

WhatRuOn said:
Yes, it'd be an upgrade, actually a pretty nice upgrade.

Thanks. I'm assuming that it will require an equal or lesser power supply to run the 9600GT. Is that true? (I currently have a 550Watt)

mr stroke

Mr. Hyde said:
Ordered a F131 model PC from Maingear today.

E8400 OC'D
750W Silverstone PSU
Geforce 8800 GT 512MB OC'D
2 gigs Kingston HyperX 1066
Vista premium 64-bit (buying a couple more gigs of ram off newegg soon)
Western Digital Caviar 500 gig 16mb cache
20 in 1 flash reader
20x Lite-On dual layer burner
Nvidia 780I board
Zalman Pipe cooler

1608 total after shipping.

I haven't bought a new pc in years and I decided to go with maingear instead of building one. I am selling my old 1.6ghz to my brother's work for 300-400 bucks.

Nice build..
I just got almost the same(3870x2 vs 8800) PC for Maingear about a week ago and couldn't be happier. The build and wiring is about the best I have ever seen, and cost wise they are pretty close to building your own.
Got a Prelude w/
AMD 6400+
4 gigs ram
3870x2
for 1546$
and for the price its a beast, currently ripping through everything(save Crysis) at 1920x1200 maxed.

have fun ;)

Kosma

Banned
Amd Introduces Triplecores and some other new Quads. Wonder how they will stack up. The powerconsumption seems pretty ok, the cache on the other hand still seems rather meh.

model frequentie L2-cache L3-cache socket tdp
X4 9850 2,5GHz 2MB 2MB AM2+ 125W
X4 9750 2,4GHz 2MB 2MB AM2+ 125W/95W
X4 9650 2,3GHz 2MB 2MB AM2+ 95W
X4 9550 2,2GHz 2MB 2MB AM2+ 95W
X4 9100e 1,8GHz 2MB 2MB AM2+ 65W
X3 8600 2,3GHz 1,5MB 2MB AM2+ 95W
X3 8400 2,1GHz 1,5MB 2MB AM2+ 95W

Spruchy said:
Could anyone help me build a computer strictly for playing HD video files to my screen. Basically a low tech Media computer. Not sure whats exactly needed.

I'm not exactly sure how powerful a PC should be to properly stream HD stuff. Maybe anyone else here?

Minsc

Gold Member
CoreAVC, will help get the playback requirements down, and it's the best decoder on the market.

The CoreCodec CoreAVC High Definition H.264 video codec is based on the MPEG-4 Part 10 standard and is one of the codecs used in Blu-ray and in HD-DVD. AVC / H.264 is the next-generation standard for video, and CoreAVC™ is being recognized as being the world's fastest H.264 software video decoder.

Back to the original question, from here, which I think is pretty accurate, (to summarize it) says dual core cpu 3600+ or DXVA2 capable decoder and gfx card. Dual core is essential for 1080p. The newer gfx cards (ATI 2400/2600 and Nvidia 8500/8600 and beyond) help, but don't work properly with x264 encodes though.

Mr. Hyde

mr stroke said:
Nice build..
I just got almost the same(3870x2 vs 8800) PC for Maingear about a week ago and couldn't be happier. The build and wiring is about the best I have ever seen, and cost wise they are pretty close to building your own.
Got a Prelude w/
AMD 6400+
4 gigs ram
3870x2
for 1546$
and for the price its a beast, currently ripping through everything(save Crysis) at 1920x1200 maxed.

have fun ;)

Awesome! The cost was supposed to be 1912 and not 1600. Somehow their base price bugged on the F131 and put it three hundred dollars cheaper than it was supposed to be.. So I couldn't resist holding off on a new pc. Mine is six years old, so it doesn't hurt much spending that price. The 8800GT they use is the G92/Pci 2.0 version, which is nicer than the old 8800's. It's the ssc edition. I am also going to throw in 2 more gigs of ram when I get it.

Glad to hear positive comments about Maingear. :)

Proc

Need some video card advice...

currently kicking a 7950gts and it is sort of bottlenecking my quad + 4gigs memory machine.

I just came into some money (yay tax refund) and am curious which route to take. The 9800gt has been said to be repackaged 8800gt with better SLi support (in which i'm not very interested in).

My choices seem to be: 8800 gt/gts oc/gtx, 9800 gt/gtx/gx2

Which is the best cost to performance ratio (for a single card setup)? My current plan is to grab an 8800 gts oc when the 9800gt comes out but I'm pretty unsure.

aznpxdd

Just putted together my system a couple days ago, thought I'd share it in this thread.

IMG_1634.jpg

E8400 + Tuniq Tower @ Stock for now
GA-P35-DS3L
eVGA 8800GT + Accelero S1 /w Scythe 120mm fan
A Data 2x2gb PC6400
WD Raptor 74gb
Seagate 320gb x 2
Audigy 2 ZS (from old rig)
Corsair 520HX

All sitting in a Lian Li PC-A05B case.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Tiger Direct is godly fast. I ordered around 7 p.m and they shipped not too long after that same day. Most places do not even process orders pass 5 or so.

mr stroke

Proc said:
Need some video card advice...

currently kicking a 7950gts and it is sort of bottlenecking my quad + 4gigs memory machine.

I just came into some money (yay tax refund) and am curious which route to take. The 9800gt has been said to be repackaged 8800gt with better SLi support (in which i'm not very interested in).

My choices seem to be: 8800 gt/gts oc/gtx, 9800 gt/gtx/gx2

Which is the best cost to performance ratio (for a single card setup)? My current plan is to grab an 8800 gts oc when the 9800gt comes out but I'm pretty unsure.

all the money=9800gx2
some money=3870x2
budget=8800gt or 9600gt

I went with the 3870x2 because its fastest for the money and will let you play everything out there maxed at high res(even Crysis on high if your ok w/ 20-25 fps)
if you don't want to spend 400$ then I would go with the 9600 or 8800gt as there both very solid and should play just about anything around for the next year very well.

mr stroke

aznpxdd said:
Just putted together my system a couple days ago, thought I'd share it in this thread.

IMG_1634.jpg

GA-P35-DS3L
A Data 2x2gb PC6400
WD Raptor 74gb
Seagate 320gb x 2
Corsair 520HX

nice wiring job.....very clean

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am madly excited about the spider platform, and so I really want to get a Phenom 9850. Is there a reason why I shouldnt?

careful

Just got my 9600GT. Portal maxed out @ 1080p 60fps is godly.
To think I considered getting the PS3 version for a moment there.. :lol
$130 upgrade FTW

SRG01

careful said:
Just got my 9600GT. Portal maxed out @ 1080p 60fps is godly.
To think I considered getting the PS3 version for a moment there.. :lol
$130 upgrade FTW

Where did you buy your 9600GT? I can't find it anywhere for $130. :(

Davidion

aznpxdd said:

GA-P35-DS3L
A Data 2x2gb PC6400
WD Raptor 74gb
Seagate 320gb x 2
Corsair 520HX

Bitchin' setup and wiring layout.

zoku88

godhandiscen said:
I am madly excited about the spider platform, and so I really want to get a Phenom 9850. Is there a reason why I shouldnt?
What is it about the spider platform that excites you?

Cheeto

Kadey said:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Nacho289/filepile.jpg[//IMG]

Look at this. 17 hard drives. 4.2 terabyte worth of storage. :lol[/QUOTE]
Who's PC is that? Do you know the case?

godhandiscen

zoku88 said:
What is it about the spider platform that excites you?
Supposedly once you pair all the ideal components, you get a performance increase (like a voltron), also its extremely cheap for a decent setup.

My student loan comes through next week, and I've decided to get a good PC rather than a PS3. But I really don't want to build one myself, I just want the reliability of a warrenty and not have to to worry abou compatability, etc. So what's the best store in the UK for me to go to, online or offline? I basically need an NVIDIA 8 series card and a decent processor, I can probably only go to £500-600 though. I have no need for a monitor though...

Hi guys.

So I was having lunch with my mother and she said she has a Core 2 Extreme QX9650 she got for free. Apparently I can have it.

What do I throw into that setup?

Hi guys, I made a thread about this but got few responses:

Can someone give me the best spec or link to a PC which will play Crysis at the best settings possible? I fancy buying such a setup today but don't want to get ripped off with something not up to the task

zoku88

GauntletFan said:

Can someone give me the best spec or link to a PC which will play Crysis at the best settings possible? I fancy buying such a setup today but don't want to get ripped off with something not up to the task
What do you mean by "best settings possible?" And a price range would also help, if it's of some concern. I mean, you could really get the rig with all of the best stuff in it, but that would be a serious waste of money.

SRG01

GauntletFan said:

Look up Kosma's $399 Crysis setup. If you improve the setup a bit, you can easily run Crysis very well assuming you're not at some monster resolution.

M3d10n

I have a bad feeling about this, but here it goes:

The ol' Duron 1600 (I know, I know) blew up and I had to make an unexpected upgrade (as usual) under a tight budget. Now I'm riding an AMD X2 4000+, 2GBs of 667 RAM (of the cheap variety and single channel because I couldn't match the darn sticks).

I figured out I could risk playing (post-2004) PC games after so many years stuck with an unusable rig, but I need a videocard (the onboard X1200 is worthless for anything beyond Source forced to DX81). Since I'm still on a budget (and will remain like that for a long time), don't plan gaming at more than 1024x768 and don't care about Crysis in particular, I've narrowed down my options to two: the 8600GT and the HD3650, which cost roughly the same around where I live.

At first I fell for the FUD spewed by both PC and console camps at GAF and was wary of both cards, but watching youtube videos of them in action revealed nice framerates and pretty graphics, not the choppy mess GAF made me expect. I even found some videos of a 8600GT on same CPU as mine, and they look very nice (even the Crysis ones looks acceptable).

So, the 8600GT or the HD3650, what do you think?

SRG01 said:
Look up Kosma's $399 Crysis setup. If you improve the setup a bit, you can easily run Crysis very well assuming you're not at some monster resolution.

I'm looking to spend around $2000. I need a machine that I can also use for 3D work at home and some music stuff.

By 'best settings possible' in Crysis, I'm talking about running the game under dx10 with maximum graphical settings at a smooth framerate.

godhandiscen

GauntletFan said:
I'm looking to spend around $2000. I need a machine that I can also use for 3D work at home and some music stuff.

By 'best settings possible' in Crysis, I'm talking about running the game under dx10 with maximum graphical settings at a smooth framerate.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/25/system_builder_marathon/
Check that.

edit for bolded: only if you disable AA and its at a 1600x1050 or less. Still it will look better than whatever any console has to offer.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
GauntletFan said:

Given your circumstances,

The Q9450, a 9800GX2, 8gb of DDR2 PC8500 ram, 790i motherboard and 700-1000+ PSU. You can easily get for less than $2000 if you're building. It'll run DX10 Crysis at 1080p averaging 30-40 high/very high and let you mess around with all your programs and multitasking.

So I've just ordered a PC from Arbico, a UK builder. They seem to have good press. Does this look OK for running TF2 at 16:10 res with a decentframe rate? Cos that's really all I want...

Code:
PC Case:  Coolermaster ELITE 330 Case - included in price 
Power Supply:  500W standard PSU 
Processor:  Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 CPU 
Heatsink & CPU Fan:  Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Heatsink & Fan 
Motherboard:  ECS G33T-M2 Motherboard (no onboard graphics) 
DDR2 Memory:  2GB (1 x 2GB) Kingston 667Mhz DDR2 
PCI-E Graphics:  1GB (1024MB) nVidia Geforce 8600GT PCI Express Graphics Card

Top Bottom