• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Chiggs

Gold Member
zoku88 said:
Uh, what were you expecting?

Significantly better performance in modern games. I didn't do any rendering or decoding, so I might have been more impressed had I witnessed that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Chiggs said:
Significantly better performance in modern games. I didn't do any rendering or decoding, so I might have been more impressed had I witness that.

More like 0% for 90% of people ;)

Yeah it's a bummer, but it does fit into it's place in the stream.

Higher powered CPU's aren't needed right now for almost everyone who games, and for the people who would go out and spend $3,000 on dual cards + 2560x monitors they do get a nice performance boost.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Shinz Kicker said:
do i need windows ultimate to have a decent 64 bit comp, or can i get by with a 64bit vista basic, or should i just put on an eyepatch.
If you get Vista basic you'll need two eye patches.

Cheeto

Shinz Kicker said:
do i need windows ultimate to have a decent 64 bit comp, or can i get by with a 64bit vista basic, or should i just put on an eyepatch.
They make 64 bit basic? I thought it was only Premium and Ultimate that had 64 bit versions...

zoku88

Chiggs said:
Significantly better performance in modern games. I didn't do any rendering or decoding, so I might have been more impressed had I witnessed that.
Uh really?

Why would you expect that?

Hey, maybe it would help for GTA IV (srsly. quad core proc as a recommended spec?) but it wouldn't help in most games, since most games aren't really made with quad-cores in mind.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
zoku88 said:
Uh really?

Why would you expect that?

Hey, maybe it would help for GTA IV (srsly. quad core proc as a recommended spec?) but it wouldn't help in most games, since most games aren't really made with quad-cores in mind.

More like 4Ghz Octo-Core + Quad-Fire from the looks of the thread.

Pachael

Hazaro said:
More like 4Ghz Octo-Core + Quad-Fire from the looks of the thread.

Wonder how the quad core i7s would do with GTAIV. Heck I think Rockstar's not really interested in the PC market anymore considering how unpolished the PC release seems to be.

zoku88

Pachael said:
Wonder how the quad core i7s would do with GTAIV. Heck I think Rockstar's not really interested in the PC market anymore considering how unpolished the PC release seems to be.
You know, I started wondering the same thing after making that joke :lol

I'm really curious now.

LordK

So I've gotten the itch to maybe get a new sound card. I have an Audigy from crap... 7 years ago? I have 5.1 speakers. Would the sound really be more omgasm over my Audigy if I got the x-fi platnium?

EDIT: My new onboard sound sucks ass too.

Tendo

Alright guys, I'm finally getting around to upgrading to Vista and wanted to make sure I was making the right purchases here. This version of vista is the one I would want right? 64 bit home premium allows up to 16 gigs of ram correct? At 99 its the cheapest deal I've found.

I'm also looking t upgrade my ram. Right now I have 2x1GB of corsair sticks. This seem like a decent deal for four gigs, putting me at 6? I'm totally new at pc building/upgrading so I just want a "yeah thats fine" before I blow around 200 bucks.

I just want a cheap computer to connect to my HDTV. I currently have an old Pentium 4 with HT machine hooked up to it but it restarts randomly so its probably on the verge of death.

So should I just buy a cheap desktop or should I make a trip to Fry's and build myself one with a small case.. I was thinking about an Eee Box but it doesn't have the oomph for HD videos.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jamesfrom818 said:
I just want a cheap computer to connect to my HDTV. I currently have an old Pentium 4 with HT machine hooked up to it but it restarts randomly so its probably on the verge of death.

So should I just buy a cheap desktop or should I make a trip to Fry's and build myself one with a small case.. I was thinking about an Eee Box but it doesn't have the oomph for HD videos.

You can put a really cheap box together with one of those new AMD boards that have HDMI out. Onboard video offloads almost all the processing to the integrated GPU, so you can have a crummy cheapo CPU too.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Shinz Kicker said:
...i think one is better than two.
Vista Basic will make you wish you were blind. Also, you can use Vista for 4 months without activating it so you can try them both without any risk.

well when push comes to shove, i still have xp sp3 on my hd that i can just swap to my new computer and install drivers and such for the new stuff. to get it up and running. im only using 4 gigs of ram so i wont be limiting my self too bad with 32bit till i can save up for ultimate, or premium. the only games on my backlog are. The 4 month thing sounds pretty nice too. can i just download a test or do i need to buy the dvd.

dmc4 pc
Lost planet
the witcher
stalker 1 & 2 ( the biggest reason for me to want dx 10.1)
fallout 3

Oh yeah...before I start building a PC I don't really need, why can I only get a 1024 x 768 resolution on my 720p HDTV ? I know the video card I have sucks (FX 5200) but it should be able to do that much.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jamesfrom818 said:
Oh yeah...before I start building a PC I don't really need, why can I only get a 1024 x 768 resolution on my 720p HDTV ? I know the video card I have sucks (FX 5200) but it should be able to do that much.

That's how many pixels your TV has.
Surprise. (Well actually it should be 13xx x 768) Check your desktop settings.

Hazaro said:
That's how many pixels your TV has.
Surprise. (Well actually it should be 13xx x 768) Check your desktop settings.

If its an older plasma TV then his 1024 x 768 res is probably correct ( stretched pixels ).

diddlyD

Banned
i just went from my 7 year old athlon xp 1800+, 1 gig ram, and matrox parhelia, to a core i7 920 (currently at 3.2 ghz) with 6gig ddr3 1600 and a 4870x2. now thats an upgrade!

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but what do you guys put your mouse on when you aren't at a desk? When I upgrade my desktop, I'm going to hook it up to my TV and use my recliner to sit in. When I used my laptop to play Spore, I set my normal mouse on a small ottoman thing and it worked okay, but I hope there's something better.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Hey, you fuckers can laugh all you want, but I have been waiting for the day when quad cores would really make a huge difference in games performance.

It's ridiculous that folks are going for wolfdales because it's actually BETTER for gaming.

Sorry, while it might be true, it also makes me want to vomit.

GTAIV PC can fucking fuck off.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
chespace said:
Hey, you fuckers can laugh all you want, but I have been waiting for the day when quad cores would really make a huge difference in games performance.

It's ridiculous that folks are going for wolfdales because it's actually BETTER for gaming.

Sorry, while it might be true, it also makes me want to vomit.

GTAIV PC can fucking fuck off.
I don't get it. Did GTA4 crippled your ego?

chespace

godhandiscen said:
I don't get it. Did GTA4 crippled your ego?

Yes. My entire life is built on how well my PC can run videogames.

And GTAIV singlehandedly dashed something I've spent 1800 bucks reinforcing.

Do you get it now?

godhandiscen

chespace said:

Do you get it now?
It was a joke man. No, but is GTA4 running fine in your PC or not?

Edit: also, isn't this what everybody sort of predicted? By the time games need quad cores the current quad cores will be too slow or something. I have a quad core btw.

Mr.City

chespace said:

Do you get it now?

A single slopply port shouldn't discourage you. If it makes you feel any better, it's being said that Steam is giving refunds to those who bought GTA4. I don't think they've ever done that.

godhandiscen

Mr.City said:
A single slopply port shouldn't discourage you. If it makes you feel any better, it's being said that Steam is giving refunds to those who bought GTA4. I don't think they've ever done that.
Wow, that is pretty cool.

chespace

Refunds for GTAIV on steam?

That's huge.

I bought ArmA a month ago and it didn't work AT ALL with Vista 64 and I had to eat $39.99. Needless to say, Bohemia Interactive fell a few fucking miles down my shitlist.

Very cool of Valve.

godhandiscen

chespace said:
Refunds for GTAIV on steam?

That's huge.

I bought ArmA a month ago and it didn't work AT ALL with Vista 64 and I had to eat $39.99. Needless to say, Bohemia Interactive fell a few fucking miles down my shitlist.

Very cool of Valve.
Is it really that bad? Out of all the people here I really can't believe your PC can't run it. You processor is faster than mine, so I guess I shouldn't even try then.
Also, I am a big supporter of Vista 64, but i still have a partition with XP SP3 32 bit for those special cases.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I have had it with my stupid intel dx48bt2 motherboard. It's a bitch to overclock and unstable with a conservative overclock. I hate it!

Now, has anyone had any experience with this motherboard?

It's a ASUS P5Q Pro with crossfire support. I'm trying to reuse my ddr3 so I'm going for that kind of motherboard. I absolutely want crossfire support. My cpu is a core 2 duo e6550. Stock speed is 2.3 ghz, I overclocked it to 2.8 ghz on my dx48bt2 but I'm hoping to overclock it to 3.0 ghz with a new motherboard.

Bottom line is, this is my xmas present. Would it be better to just buy a new cpu and run it stock? I really hate my current motherboard. I can't reboot it!! I can only shutdown and power on and I know it's because of my overclock. Intel mobos SUCK!

Advice, please!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
chespace said:

Do you get it now?

:lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
chespace said:

Do you get it now?
I... Yeah, I can believe that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
otake said:
I have had it with my stupid intel dx48bt2 motherboard. It's a bitch to overclock and unstable with a conservative overclock. I hate it!

It's a ASUS P5Q Pro with crossfire support. I'm trying to reuse my ddr3 so I'm going for that kind of motherboard. I absolutely want crossfire support. My cpu is a core 2 duo e6550. Stock speed is 2.3 ghz, I overclocked it to 2.8 ghz on my dx48bt2 but I'm hoping to overclock it to 3.0 ghz with a new motherboard.

Bottom line is, this is my xmas present. Would it be better to just buy a new cpu and run it stock? I really hate my current motherboard. I can't reboot it!! I can only shutdown and power on and I know it's because of my overclock. Intel mobos SUCK!

Advice, please!

I have this board. Perfectly happy with it, running an e8500 at 3.8GHz (with a Zalman 9700). Very stable all around with BIOS update. I'm not running CF on it yet, though, mostly because the 4870 can handle everything I've thrown at it so far.

Cheeto

DrBaalzamon said:
Whats the general consensus as to the better case, the Antec Sonata III or the Antec 300? Mainly for a e8500 + 9800 GT. thanks
Are you going to use the power supply that comes with the Sonata III? If not, I'd lean towards the cheaper 300. However, having the HDD cage the way the Sonata does is convenient.

Cheeto said:
Are you going to use the power supply that comes with the Sonata III? If not, I'd lean towards the cheaper 300. However, having the HDD cage the way the Sonata does is convenient.

Yea, I was. To build my brother a WoW gaming rig. Which temp measuring app do people generally use? Im running Real Temp, seems to be the most accurate from my brief google search.

Stock Intel Fan
e8500 3.16ghz

idle - 32-33c
load - 55-58c

this is with prime95 running for like 30min

How do these numbers look? Ambient is ... Southern California weather. So 19c-22c.

Thanks all! Oh also, Im sporting a BFG 9800GT OC for gaming, should i spend a bit more and go for the GTX/S, im gaming on a 22inch 1680x1050 monitor. Thank you all!

-Em

DrBaalzamon said:
Yea, I was. To build my brother a WoW gaming rig. Which temp measuring app do people generally use? Im running Real Temp, seems to be the most accurate from my brief google search.

Stock Intel Fan
e8500 3.16ghz

idle - 32-33c
load - 55-58c

this is with prime95 running for like 30min

How do these numbers look? Ambient is ... Southern California weather. So 19c-22c.

Thanks all! Oh also, Im sporting a BFG 9800GT OC for gaming, should i spend a bit more and go for the GTX/S, im gaming on a 22inch 1680x1050 monitor. Thank you all!

-Em
What volts are you using for your CPU? Seem a 'tad' hot. Also, I would get a GTX260 if I were you.
Here - GTX260 MSI
And use this code for an additional $25 off: VGA12425
Total is $164 after MIR. Props goes to sp33dfr3ak at slickdeals.net. Its not a 216 core, but for the price it is totally worth it.

chespace

otake said:

Advice, please!

WTF? Trust me, either you have a bad mobo or something else is wrong.

I have the same P5Q Pro board and it's been a dream. I have a Q9550 OC'ed from 2.8 to 3.8 @ 1.29 vcore and it's very stable. I pushed it to 4.0 and got errors on core 3 after a couple hours so I dropped it back to 3.8.

As you know, it's also my first overclock EVER and after doing some reading, I was able to do it with ease.

Basically, I love my P5Q Pro.

Labombadog said:
What volts are you using for your CPU? Seem a 'tad' hot. Also, I would get a GTX260 if I were you.
Here - GTX260 MSI
Total is $164 after MIR. Props goes to sp33dfr3ak at slickdeals.net. Its not a 216 core, but for the price it is totally worth it.

Im running stock voltage (im away from the computer at the moment so i cant check ) , nice deal on the 260, ill give it a look!

bee

Pachael said:

destroys it apparently

zwm648.jpg

Vaporak

Labombadog said:
Here - GTX260 MSI

Thanks for the awesome deal.

edit: What does everyone think about this build as a big upgrade for me:

MSI N260GTX-T2D896 OC GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
$199.99

PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail $94.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail $59.99

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$84.99

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E5200 - Retail $82.99

total after tax, shipping, and promotions: $542.73 (before a $35 mail in rebate to be used)

I'm upgrading from a single core 2GHz A64, 1 Gig of DDR1, and a 6800GS; and I'm reusing my case, monitor, peripherals, Harddrives, and DVD drive. This is the case I'm reusing, and since everything is still ATX standard I figure all the new stuff should fit. I'm trying to upgrade to a modern high end computer without spending that much money, and I think I've done a pretty good job of it, but it's always good to have another set of eyes check it out though. Thanks for the help. :D

Get this RAM instead, since it is practically the same ram (1066 are oc'ed) plus it have lower timings, and lower voltage so you can OC like mad if you want.
I hope your OC that CPU (3.2 or above!). Anyways, other than that everything looks amazing!

otake

chespace said:
WTF? Trust me, either you have a bad mobo or something else is wrong.

I have the same P5Q Pro board and it's been a dream. I have a Q9550 OC'ed from 2.8 to 3.8 @ 1.29 vcore and it's very stable. I pushed it to 4.0 and got errors on core 3 after a couple hours so I dropped it back to 3.8.

As you know, it's also my first overclock EVER and after doing some reading, I was able to do it with ease.

Basically, I love my P5Q Pro.

No I don't have an asus board. I have an intel board. I want to get the asus board. The intel one is the one that sucks ASS!

otake

Vaporak said:
Thanks for the awesome deal.

edit: What does everyone think about this build as a big upgrade for me:

MSI N260GTX-T2D896 OC GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
$199.99

PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail $94.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail $59.99

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$84.99

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E5200 - Retail $82.99

total after tax, shipping, and promotions: $542.73 (before a $35 mail in rebate to be used)

I'm upgrading from a single core 2GHz A64, 1 Gig of DDR1, and a 6800GS; and I'm reusing my case, monitor, peripherals, Harddrives, and DVD drive. This is the case I'm reusing, and since everything is still ATX standard I figure all the new stuff should fit. I'm trying to upgrade to a modern high end computer without spending that much money, and I think I've done a pretty good job of it, but it's always good to have another set of eyes check it out though. Thanks for the help. :D

not doing raid 1?

Top Bottom