• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Vaporak

Labombadog said:
Get this RAM instead, since it is practically the same ram (1066 are oc'ed) plus it have lower timings, and lower voltage so you can OC like mad if you want.
I hope your OC that CPU (3.2 or above!). Anyways, other than that everything looks amazing!

Thanks for the help. :D Hope I don't hit any incompatibilities when I go to put it together.

otake said:
not doing raid 1?

Not planning on any raid, don't even really have the money to replace the hard drives, just the primary processing components. :(

rc213

Hazaro said:
Just turn the fan down via software (Rivatuner).

Narrowed it down to these 3 cards I can get new locally.

XFX 9600GSO 768mb 192-bit | ATi HD 4670 512mb 128-bit same price $75 or ATi HD 3850 512mb 256-bit $85

My head is spinning!

SPEA

Ok guys I need your help!!

So basically all I play on my PC is WoW. Though with my rig now, I can only run it on low settings at around 20fps.

Can anyone point me towards a decent graphic card that will allow me to pump up the settings while running it at a stable framerate at a decent price? Thanks in advance.

Here is what I got:
Windows Vista - 32 Bit
2GB RAM
Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
Video Card: Intel G965 Express Chipset Family

SPEA

godhandiscen said:
how much do you want to spend?
I'd prefer $200 or less. But I'd take any suggestions.

PTCoakley said:
You could honestly spend under $100 and achieve what you want, though you might as well get something around $150 if you ever want to play other, newer games.

Anything in particular? Nvidia? ATI? Doesn't matter? I'm a pretty big n00b when it comes to this stuff.

SPEA said:
I'd prefer $200 or less. But I'd take any suggestions.

Anything in particular? Nvidia? ATI? Doesn't matter? I'm a pretty big n00b when it comes to this stuff.

If you want to spend as little as possible, there's tons of different things to look at. If you want something solid and want to spend a little under $200, then you can get an AMD/ATI 4850 and an nVidia 9800GTX+ in that price range.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Will this processor be able to run most games, along with 4 gigs of ram and an nVidia 9800GTX+, at around 60 FPS?

Should I go Vista or stick with XP.

I'm building a new gaming PC, any advice would be appreciated (what I should look out for, things to remember).

Thanks. :)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Rez>You said:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Will this processor be able to run most games, along with 4 gigs of ram and an nVidia 9800GTX+, at around 60 FPS?

I'm building a new gaming PC, any advice would be appreciated (what I should look out for, things to remember).

60fps. Anything but Crysis. Also it depends of which resolution you will be playing at. 1400x900 and 60fps will be the norm with those specs.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
PTCoakley said:
If you want to spend as little as possible, there's tons of different things to look at. If you want something solid and want to spend a little under $200, then you can get an AMD/ATI 4850 and an nVidia 9800GTX+ in that price range.

4850 or GTX 260

If you want the cheap route get a 8800GT or 9800GT for $100 after rebate, or 3870 if you like ati flavor.

Rez>You said:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Most on high settings yup.

D-Pad

More like, "Official 2008: I need a new thread title so I can be found easier when searched" Thread.:lol

Gaf, I need a new PC. I'll be doing a lot of programming and a bit of 3D work on it soon -- and I'll also be composing music and Photoshopping GIMP'ing. I need lots of storage space and I don't know what else...

But you only have $400 - maybe $500 - to find me a pre-assembled computer... Preferably one you would see in mainstream stores like Wal-Mart. Go, go, go!

Also: GAF, if nothing you list appeals to me, what should I look for when I go out to find the PC myself? How much RAM is needed when Vista is pre-loaded? Which Vista version? Are you sure there's nothing on this list here? What the hell is a dual core and which one is better - AMD or Intel?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
D-Pad said:
More like, "Official 2008: I need a new thread title so I can be found easier when searched" Thread.:lol

Gaf, I need a new PC. I'll be doing a lot of programming and a bit of 3D work on it soon -- and I'll also be composing music and Photoshopping GIMP'ing. I need lots of storage space and I don't know what else...

But you only have $400 - maybe $500 - to find me a pre-assembled computer... Preferably one you would see in mainstream stores like Wal-Mart. Go, go, go!

Also: GAF, if nothing you list appeals to me, what should I look for when I go out to find the PC myself? How much RAM is needed when Vista is pre-loaded? Which Vista version? Are you sure there's nothing on this list here? What the hell is a dual core and which one is better - AMD or Intel?

Dell Refurb Store, grab a Q6600 (or other quad) + 3-6GB of RAM for about $400-$500.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
But the 9800GTX adds almost nothing from the 8800GT/9800GT/8800GTS.

Imo, you can get an MSI/PNY for Sub $170

D-Pad

Hazaro said:
Dell Refurb Store, grab a Q6600 (or other quad) + 3-6GB of RAM for about $400-$500.

What is a Q6600? Which computer would that be, cause it's not listed anywhere. :S How about this one?:
Inspiron 518
(System Identifier: EJBBRVV9)

Inspiron Desktop 518: Intel Core 2 Duo processor E7200 (3MB L2, 2.53GHz, 1066FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
System Price : $429.00

Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
Memory
3 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (4 DIMMs)
Hard Disk Drive
640 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Certified Refurbished
Certified Refurbished
Base
Inspiron Desktop 518: Intel Core 2 Duo processor E7200 (3MB L2, 2.53GHz, 1066FSB)
Media Bay
16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
Software Upgrade
Microsoft Works 9.0
Hardware Upgrade
USB Keyboard
No Floppy Drive
Optical 2-Button Mouse
No Modem

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
D-Pad said:
What is a Q6600? Which computer would that be, cause it's not listed anywhere. :S How about this one?:

Not bad at all, but a Q6600, quad core 2.4Ghz should be around the same price as what you listed.

I need some halp :/

I came into possession of an XFX 8800GT 256MB pretty much like this recently, but it wouldn't work with my stock 250W PSU. Today I received my shiny new Thermaltake ToughPower 600W PSU.

I swap out the old for the new and swap out my stock nVidia 8400GS for the 8800GT. Double check all the connections are tight and the 6 pin power cable is connected and the card is seated nicely.......aaaaand nothing. Screen stays blank (off in fact), the fans all start up but there is no beep from the MoBo (no POST iirc). So I switch it back off and triple check all connections are solid, again, no dice. So I take out the 8800 and put back the 8400, and Bingo. Works again.

Now I'm thinking my moBo isn't compatible or something....heres the website for my pc and the mobo info....so am I missing something? I'm a total noob when it comes to this shit. If this card wont work with this PC what cards would you suggest that would as I'm willing to change the one I have. Any help appreciated and feel free to point and laugh :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BladedExpert said:
I need some halp :/

I came into possession of an XFX 8800GT 256MB pretty much like this recently, but it wouldn't work with my stock 250W PSU. Today I received my shiny new Thermaltake ToughPower 600W PSU.

I swap out the old for the new and swap out my stock nVidia 8400GS for the 8800GT. Double check all the connections are tight and the 6 pin power cable is connected and the card is seated nicely.......aaaaand nothing. Screen stays blank (off in fact), the fans all start up but there is no beep from the MoBo (no POST iirc). So I switch it back off and triple check all connections are solid, again, no dice. So I take out the 8800 and put back the 8400, and Bingo. Works again.

Now I'm thinking my moBo isn't compatible or something....heres the website for my pc and the mobo info....so am I missing something? I'm a total noob when it comes to this shit. If this card wont work with this PC what cards would you suggest that would as I'm willing to change the one I have. Any help appreciated and feel free to point and laugh :D

Uninstall the drivers, then swap the cards. See if that works.

Pachael

bee said:
destroys it apparently

zwm648.jpg

Oh snap, now I thought for a 'simulation' Sims 2 was particularly bad, GTA4's worse (and yet, better, since we now know it's CPU limited rather than GPU limited)

NIghtWolf

I am considering the bose companion 5 for general purposes is it worth? or there something better and less expensive?

What attracts me to it is that doesn't take much space and that those speakers can fake 5.1 nicely. At least that's what I been reading.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NIghtWolf said:
I am considering the bose companion 5 for general purposes is it worth? or there something better and less expensive?

What attracts me to it is that doesn't take much space and that those speakers can fake 5.1 nicely. At least that's what I been reading.

$400 2.1 system, are you shitting me?

For $250 tops you can get a Logitech Z-5500 setup (5.1) or a better 2.1 probably.

Bose also tends to be mucho expensive for the quality they offer.

You'd be better off going to head-fi.org and asking there. They will point you in the correct direction for sure.

NIghtWolf

Hazaro said:
$400 2.1 system, are you shitting me?

For $250 tops you can get a Logitech Z-5500 setup (5.1) or a better 2.1 probably.

Bose also tends to be mucho expensive for the quality they offer.

You'd be better off going to head-fi.org and asking there. They will point you in the correct direction for sure.

Thanks xD yeah well I wasn't sure I think most ppl would say it's good just because they are bose.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NIghtWolf said:
Thanks xD yeah well I wasn't sure I think most ppl would say it's good just because they are bose.

Oh their quality is generally good, however they are way overpriced for what they offer as almost everyone on that forum will tell you :lol

BladedExpert - Just no image, and the fans stay on... Shouldn't be any reason it won't work with your computer... At least I can think of right now.
*Maybe you are plugging the video cable into slot 2 instead of 1? Maybe? Check that it's making good contact when video cable is plugged in, etc.
Wouldn't hurt to go over every power cable just in case.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This has probably been asked a million times, but should I go Vista or XP for my new gaming rig?

Also, with a Q6600, nVidia 9800GTX+ and 4 gigs of RAM, will I be able to play GTA4 on decent settings? And will I be able to play Crysis on High?

Cheers.

godhandiscen

You have 4GB of ram, you NEED to go Vista 64. Crysis on HIGH? I don't know. I remember playing with a rig similar to yours at a demo station on BestBuy and the fps didn't hold that well. It was 1600x1050 no AA. Maybe if you OC your processor. Also, it could have been the Crysis demo which isn't as optimized as the real game.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Reneledarker said:
Hi, I need your help.
My father is going to give me a pc as a gift, but I live in Mexico and he told me to pick one from a shop called telnor, the best one I found was this:
https://h20285.www2.hp.com/estore/ConfigFile.aspx?co=mex&PCS=MEXSTORE&cmodel=LASP-115071-BAS
I want to know if I can play games like oblivion, lineage 2 on that pc.

Thanks.

Not with a 8400, that's about half the power you need.
godhandiscen said:
You have 4GB of ram, you NEED to go Vista 64.
Pish posh. To use those 4GB you need 64-bit Vista.

I'm still here lurking with my 2.75GB viewable waiting for windows 7 :lol
Rez>You said:
Also, with a Q6600, nVidia 9800GTX+ and 4 gigs of RAM, will I be able to play GTA4 on decent settings? And will I be able to play Crysis on High?

GTA? Medium at 30 fps.
Crysis? High at 30-40 fps.

lol Rockstar.

godhandiscen

Hazaro said:
Not with a 8400, that's about half the power you need.

Pish posh. To use those 4GB you need 64-bit Vista.

I'm still here lurking with my 2.75GB viewable waiting for windows 7 :lol
God Hazaro you amaze me. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
godhandiscen said:
God Hazaro you amaze me. :lol
Is this good or bad :(

I tried Vista for about 7 minutes playing inkball then wiped it off my partition, got it for free too. I hear it's better now, but I'm lazy and don't want to reinstall everything.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Alright guys, thanks for the help, much appreciated. :)

I know relatively little about PC gaming, but I've heard Vista isn't as reliable when it comes to gaming as XP. Any truth to this? Should I just wait for Windows 7?

godhandiscen

Hazaro said:

I tried Vista for about 7 minutes playing inkball then wiped it off my partition, got it for free too. I hear it's better now, but I'm lazy and don't want to reinstall everything.
It is WAY better after SP1. Give it a spin, 64 bit of course. The 32 bit is buggy afaik.

Vista has surpassed XP in gaming performance by now. Google the benches.

Cheeto

Hazaro said:

Vista 64 is the new XP, get it

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Maybe after my HDD fails and my backup restore fails.

I have too many programs to reinstall. Supercache does sound nice though.

LordK

Haha, so I finally figured out how to get a game to render higher than my lcd's native resolution. So in celebration I ran the DMC4 benchmark again at 2560x1600, 8xAA, max :)

Results are:

Scene 1: 66 fps
Scene 2: 50 fps
Scene 3: 85 fps
Scene 4: 50 fps

I'm pretty damn impressed. Though it seems like DMC4 is a special case in that it was coded EXTREMELY well.

Cheeto

copybeaver said:
Haha, so I finally figured out how to get a game to render higher than my lcd's native resolution. So in celebration I ran the DMC4 benchmark again at 2560x1600, 8xAA, max :)
huh?

LordK

The game just renders at a higher resolution. But the lcd only receives its max resolution portion of the render. So if I was rendering 2560x1600 and my lcd's native res was 640x480, then the lcd would only display 640x480 of the 2560x1600.

Blizzard

Banned
I guess I'll ask this here since it was here I got the advice to use Vista. ;p

Vista so far hasn't given me too many problems, but I just spent maybe 10-15 minutes trying to figure out how to do something that was very easy in XP. I want to search a specific directory. I want to search all files in that directory, and all files contained in any subfolders of that directory.

I want to do a "grep -i mystring `find .`", or something like that, to put it another way.

Anyway, in XP I could simply quickly navigate the directory structure and tell it where to search. Then I could click the file contents box or whatnot, and type in my string. In XP, the only way you can apparently search is by using the search box at the upper right. "Advanced search" doesn't give me any additional options besides searching in non-indexed files, which I want to do, so I turned that on. Search options doesn't give me anything useful besides the option to always search in file contents AND file names (and I'd prefer to only search file names, or only search file contents, depending on my current needs, anyway). Anyway, that would still work, though it would be annoyingly painful due to the directory structure navigation and window popup interface Vista uses on it...except the search still apparently fails to consider any file contents and only searches file names.

So is there some easy way to search file contents without actually getting a decent text editor and using that to search? Am I missing something? :(

zoku88

Uhm, it should already search file contents (at least, in indexed places.)

Mine does at least. Sometimes I use it to find certain lecture notes.

Top Bottom