• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

rc213

How can I test a card for stability? ATITools?

Also, I've seen a few used games up for sale like Bioshock that say something about activation? What's that about?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rc213 said:
How can I test a card for stability? ATITools?

Also, I've seen a few used games up for sale like Bioshock that say something about activation? What's that about?

FUR benchmark stresses harder. Some games will have quirks though, so obviously check with them as well.

Some games activate online and can only have so many installs.

Schrade said:
Did you hook up the PCI-Express 6 pin power cable to the 8800 GT?
Yeah he said that.

Chris R

I keep telling myself that the i7 isn't worth the upgrade just yet, and that I'll upgrade when the shrink occurs :( Only thing REALLY holding me back is that I'd have to go get a new mobo/ram/cpu instead of just a new cpu :lol

The_Dude

Can anyone tell me, aside from making expanding the memory easier, is there any advantage to using 2 2GB DIMMs as opposed to 4 1GB DIMMs?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
rhfb said:
I keep telling myself that the i7 isn't worth the upgrade just yet, and that I'll upgrade when the shrink occurs :( Only thing REALLY holding me back is that I'd have to go get a new mobo/ram/cpu instead of just a new cpu :lol
I already went there. I wasn't going to do it. Cause I'm too much of a nerd.

:(

Damn. i7, or buy Fiance her engagement ring?

Decisions...

Has anyone jumped on the i7 wagon yet? Any clue on which X58 boards are any good yet? I was planning to go with the P6T Deluxe, personally. Although, I have no clue when/if prices will fall.

Vaporak

Well GAF, all my parts for my upgrade came today. I'm moving some files around, looking for a screw driver, and if everything goes smoothly should finally have a nice modern computer tonight. :D

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
VictimOfGrief said:
^ I would respond but your banned. :(
He can still lurk, of course.

I don't think this is a good time to buy i7 right now, because DDR3 is still waaaaay too expensive. I plan on timing my next computer purchase to coincide with DDR3 price drops and the mainstream adoption of 64 bit with Windows 7. Not that I expect it to be much better than Vista but it would be too much of a pain to upgrade later.

rc213

Hazaro said:
FUR benchmark stresses harder. Some games will have quirks though, so obviously check with them as well.

Some games activate online and can only have so many installs.

Yeah he said that.

Thanks, For how long should I run that? Should I use something like GPU-Z to keep tabs on the temps?

Also, I can't get Half-Life 2 or Lost Coast to run on Vista64. I click play and a Loading screen comes up with 64-bit mode at the top but it never goes anywhere. Played Portal Demo to completion which was pretty sweet.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
chespace said:
Holy shit, if you're reading this -- get some fucking perspective.
Yeah, really. That chick probably isn't going anywhere. She already said yes. This is the i7 we're talking about here.

rc213

Managed to run HL2 and Lost Coast only after adding -32bit to the shortcut and Bioshock only after adding -dx9 to the shortcut. Not sure if that is a bad thing or what. I will now test the card with the FUR Benchmark.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SapientWolf said:
Yeah, really. That chick probably isn't going anywhere. She already said yes. This is the i7 we're talking about here.
:lol

Both are unwise investments. The depreciation over time is horrible!

ElfoMan

Hey guys, I built a PC the first days of August.

I bought this RAM:
OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit

and this is what I see...
ram.jpg

What's wrong? It has always been like this.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

rc213

Ran Fur Benchmark for a good 15minutes and temps peaked at 79-80c. Running ATI Tools 0.27 beta and temps have peaked 64-65c, Will leave it for 15minutes as well. Guess I need to download some newer demos since I am having too many issues with HL2, Lost Coast and Bioshock.

Bioshock Demo sure looks pretty even after adding the -dx9 command. :D

YYZ

Do we talk about monitors ITT? I just ordered a BenQ G2400WD, it's a 24" TN panel monitor. I know TN is like the ugly duckling, but it's very affordable and fine for what I'm doing. Hopefully it arrives ok and nothing's wrong with it. I'll post pics if I remember. The BenQ V2400 and G2400WD are both popular on the [H]ardforums, this is what pushed me since most of the other monitors I checked out did not get in-depth reviews like that.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rc213 said:
Ran Fur Benchmark for a good 15minutes and temps peaked at 79-80c. Running ATI Tools 0.27 beta and temps have peaked 64-65c, Will leave it for 15minutes as well. Guess I need to download some newer demos since I am having too many issues with HL2, Lost Coast and Bioshock.

Bioshock Demo sure looks pretty even after adding the -dx9 command. :D

Yeah, pushed a bit harder. My friend's 8800 Ultra hit 92C :lol Had some horrible paste on it.

You are probably set, might want to turn up the fan as loud as you can tolerate it, or even set up those temp/speed settings in Rivatuner.

/*Nvidia is going to run a promotion for 12 days and it starts tomorrow.

My guess is that it will be ~$30 off most cards without a mail-in-rebate.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/12_days.html

bdgamer

Ok guys, here's the thing. I'm going to buy a Q6600 and a GTX 260 later this month, as well as a new power supply.

However, I'm confused about how much power supply I'll actually need. I used Outervision's PS calculator and it told me 322 W which seems abnormal to me.

Will a good 550W power supply do, or will I need more?

Zzoram

Furmark is actually way more demanding than any games will ever be. It'll break otherwise stable computers in 10 minutes.

Wollan

Posting specs of my newly built PC.

Intel Q9550 (4x 2.83ghz unclocked, 12MB cache)
Corsair 4GB ram DDR2 (800mhz, unclocked)
Samsung 500GB HDD (7200rpm)
Asus Geforce 260 Top (896MB)
Asus P5Q Motherboard

Running Vista Home Premium 64bit.
Bought myself a 22" Samsung screen.

LordK

bdgamer said:
Ok guys, here's the thing. I'm going to buy a Q6600 and a GTX 260 later this month, as well as a new power supply.

However, I'm confused about how much power supply I'll actually need. I used Outervision's PS calculator and it told me 322 W which seems abnormal to me.

I have a Q6600 and a GTX 260 core 216. I also have 4 gigs of ram, a 3 drive raid, a black magic intensity capture card, an OTA HD capture card, an X-fi titanium, wireless pci card, and a dvd burner. It all runs perfectly with a 600W psu.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
bdgamer said:

It will only draw about that much, but you don't want to load PSU's near their max.

A good 550W will do you fine. As will a 520W.
Make sure it's a good brand though.

rc213

So I need some PC Games, I downloaded the Crysis Demo (1.8GB lulz) and it runs fine at 1280x1024.

Need some recommendations, So far I am looking for Far Cry 2, Bioshock, Crysis, Fallout 3. I'm partial to FPS and I am picking up Fallout 3 because I grabbed Oblivion on the PS3 and loved it.

bdgamer said:

Nope that 322w will be over shooting it to be safe if anything. People tend to way overstate PSU requirements for whatever reason. Just make sure you buy from a respectable brand and that you check it has plenty amps on its 12v rail and you'll be fine.

rc213 said:
So I need some PC Games, I downloaded the Crysis Demo (1.8GB lulz) and it runs fine at 1280x1024.

Need some recommendations, So far I am looking for Far Cry 2, Bioshock, Crysis, Fallout 3. I'm partial to FPS and I am picking up Fallout 3 because I grabbed Oblivion on the PS3 and loved it.

This is pretty much the best $100 anyone could ever spend:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1134/

If you've got a fair few of the games already then fair enough, but make sure you get hold of Left 4 Dead, its ridiculously good fun.

If you like your RTS games then this is another excellent package on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1207/

Mass Effect is just as excellent as it was on 360, but without the almost gamebreaking performance issues.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Catalyst 8.12 just released and the performance increase is enormous.

Release Notes said:
• 3DMark Vantage DX10 – performance gains of up to 5% for Single and
Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on HD46xx, HD4550 and
HD4350.
• Call of Duty: World at War DX9 – performance gains of up to 21% for Single
and Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD48xx.
• Crysis DX10 – performance gains of up to 25% for Single and Crossfire
mode.
Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4xxx.
• Crysis Warhead DX10 – performance gains of up to 13% for Single card
mode and up to 16% for Crossfire mode.
Performance gains were noticed on
all Radeon HD4xxx.
• Devil May Cry 4 DX10– performance gains of up to 6% for Single and
Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4xxx and
HD38xx.
• Fallout 3 – performance gains of up to 15% for Single card mode.
• Far Cry 2 DX10 – performance gains of up to 10% for Single card mode and
up to 57% in Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon
HD4xxx and HD38xx.
• FEAR DX9 – performance gains of up to 6% for Single and Crossfire mode.
Performance gains were noticed on Radeon HD4870X2 and HD4870.
• Hellgate: London DX10 – performance gains of up to 6% for Single card
mode and up to 10% for Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on
all Radeon HD4xxx.
• Left 4 Dead DX9– performance gains of up to 10% for Single card mode and
up to 5% for Crossfire mode
. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon
HD4870 series.
• Lost Planet Colonies DX10 – performance gains of up to 10% for Single and
Crossfire mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4xxx and
HD38xx.
• Prey OGL – performance gains of up to 15% for Crossfire mode. Performance
gains were noticed on Radeon HD4870 1GB products, HD46xx,
HD45xx.
• S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky – performance gains of up to 10% for Crossfire
mode. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4xxx and HD38xx.
• Unreal Tournament 3 DX9 – performance gains of up to 18% for Single
card mode and up to 15% in Crossfire mode, especially in cases where AA is
enabled. Performance gains were noticed on all Radeon HD4xxx and
HD38xx.
I didn't really need a "performance" increase in any game I played, but for the people using 4850's this has to be a nice update. Also, This driver introduces the Stream Computing Support (ATI's version of Cuda). and the ATI AVIVO Video Converter. I am really looking to the last one since I want to put a couple movies in my Zune.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
nVidia 180.48 claimed a bunch of UP TO % boosts like they always do.

Hopefully they do get a boost as it is what ATi users live for :lol

The new CUDA equivalent sounds nice, but it still needs to be refined on both platforms. A lot.

godhandiscen

Hazaro said:
nVidia 180.48 claimed a bunch of UP TO % boosts like they always do.

Hopefully they do get a boost as it is what ATi users live for :lol

The new CUDA equivalent sounds nice, but it still needs to be refined on both platforms. A lot.
Yeah, I never really get that excited about these. However, the FarCry 2 boost is real. It is basically the FraCry 2 hotfix for Cat 8.11 now included in a real driver. :lol

rc213

godhandiscen said:
Catalyst 8.12 just released and the performance increase is enormous.

I didn't really need a "performance" increase in any game I played, but for the people using 4850's this has to be a nice update. Also, This driver introduces the Stream Computing Support (ATI's version of Cuda). and the ATI AVIVO Video Converter. I am really looking to the last one since I want to put a couple movies in my Zune.

ATI AVIVO Video Converter is this a new version that uses Stream Computing to accelerate the encoding? Is there anything similar for Nvidia cards?

MidiSurf

Banned
My new rig

Ati 4870x2 2048mb
Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz
Noctua NH-U12P cooler
Intel X58
6GB 1333MHz DDR 3
1000Gb HDD

<3

I haven't clicked purchase button yet, because I might go with Nvidia card...

godhandiscen

rc213 said:
ATI AVIVO Video Converter is this a new version that uses Stream Computing to accelerate the encoding? Is there anything similar for Nvidia cards?

Yes, it uses stream computing and its freaking fast. I think there is a similar app for Nvidia but it costs 20 bucks. At least that was when it was announced.

MidiSurf said:
My new rig

Ati 4870x2 2048mb
Noctua NH-U12P cooler
Intel X58
6GB 1333MHz DDR 3
1000Gb HDD

<3

If you want the fastest card around and are not concious of the money then the 4870x2 is by far the best card. Join the club :D Che will give you your badge later.

MidiSurf

Banned
godhandiscen said:
If you want the fastest card around and are not concious of the money then the 4870x2 is by far the best card. Join the club :D Che will give you your badge later.

I had 4870x2 in my old rig and I loved it, but things are lot easier with Nvidia when it comes to gaming. Also I don't want to buy standalone PhysX card.

EDIT: And I went with Nvidia with my new rig.

godhandiscen

MidiSurf said:
I had 4870x2 in my old rig and I loved it, but things are lot easier with Nvidia when it comes to gaming. Also I don't want to buy standalone PhysX card.

EDIT: And I went with Nvidia with my new rig.
Hand in your badge traitor.

lol jk.

Which card did you end up picking up? And yes. Sometimes the 4870x2 can be a hassle. I should have said "if you are not concious of your money and time to get it to work right". :lol

MidiSurf

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Hand in your badge traitor.

lol jk.

Which card did you end up picking up? And yes. Sometimes the 4870x2 can be a hassle. I should have said "if you are not concious of your money and time to get it to work right". :lol

GeForce GTX 280 1GB.

Hajaz

MidiSurf said:
My new rig

Ati 4870x2 2048mb
Noctua NH-U12P cooler
Intel X58
6GB 1333MHz DDR 3
1000Gb HDD

<3

dont take the intel branded x58 mobo
take the asus x58 instead

Kosma

Banned
I have been parted from my PC for over a month now, but I got a cheapy laptop that is amazingly adept at playing games.

For 699 euro:

Acer
Amd Turion X2 2.0ghz
3GB RAM
Ati 3650 512MB

I can play ME, Fallout etc. Not bad for a laptop.

Also as the year comes close to an end somebody will have to make a new thread for 2009, as I still won't have acces to my main PC I suggest one of the more active members of this thread will make something.

Cheeto

Kosma said:
I have been parted from my PC for over a month now, but I got a cheapy laptop that is amazingly adept at playing games.

For 699 euro:

Acer
Amd Turion X2 2.0ghz
3GB RAM
Ati 3650 512MB

I can play ME, Fallout etc. Not bad for a laptop.

Also as the year comes close to an end somebody will have to make a new thread for 2009, as I still won't have acces to my main PC I suggest one of the more active members of this thread will make something.
I'm definitely toying with the idea of building a new rig sometime next year, but lately I've been thinking of getting a laptop instead since I might change jobs and lose the company laptop.

Kosma

Banned
It's definately a step back visual and performance wise, I'd only recommend it if you don't have an option to have a desktop.

godhandiscen

I would love to make the thread. However, I think Hazaro would be better for it.

rc213

godhandiscen said:
Yes, it uses stream computing and its freaking fast. I think there is a similar app for Nvidia but it costs 20 bucks. At least that was when it was announced.

Tried out Badaboom, pretty cool. Needs a lot of improvement, Needs to accept a lot more formats and allow better control over quality. But it did a nice job encoding a 1080i.ts to iPod Touch quickly and with good quality.

Top Bottom