• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

bee

BitchTits said:
I was reading a guide that said not to let the mobo touch the PC case, the i/o shield plate prevents this?

I'm kinda excited actually :D

yup the standoffs and the i/o shield plate stops it from shorting out on the case

well after getting a hd4870 last week I was feeling saucy so I went and got myself a q6600 a ga-x38-ds4 mobo (for future xfire!) and 4gb ram which won't all work in xp but it will do until I bite the bullet of vista. Throw in new cpu heatsink and a bunch of quiet fans and it's time to do my favourite part of the process.

PUTTING THE SHIT TOGETHER, the old parts (e6400 at 3.2ghz, 2gb ram, ga-965-ds3) will be going in the household computer along with an x1950pro. Huzzah! I've been doing this sorta thing since I was 12 (22 now) and I still get excited.

Esperado

I found out the problem with my computer, it was the motherboard. I had to update the bios to a beta version for the VCore to stick. Now I'm running at 333x9 = 2997 mhz. With 1.35 volts in the bios and 1.296 in CPU-Z.

BitchTits said:
Well, I think I'm going to go for building my PC.

Do any more experienced PC builders have any tips on big do's and don'ts? The biggest things I'm worried about are fitting the motherboard and CPU correctly.

On top of what has already been said, I would suggest working on wire management before you do anything in the case. Well, at least try to think about what plugs you have and where they go before you start on anything. Having a good wire management system makes everything better. Better cooling, better looking, and easier upgrades.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
zoku88 said:
Even if you had an Intel mobo right now, you still wouldn't be able to use a Nehalem chip. New socket...

EDIT: Unfortunately, I don't believe in the use of synthetic benchmarks...
I didn't know this. I am kinda bummbed though that AMD hasnt released anything on the higuer end lately. I am not much of an overclocker, and I want a quad core with 3.0GHz. If AMD keeps its policy of only releasing lower end products I might have to switch.

Sup GAF. I will be heading to college next year (UVA :D). I will have a small laptop as well as a gaming PC. I want to make it so that my monitor hooks up to my 360 and Wii, and potentially a future PS3, so that I don't have to share the TV with my roommate. Well, here are the specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
$150
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
$267
RAM: G skill 4gb 1600 DDR3 RAM
$300
HDD: Western Digital 640g
$90
Video: Gainward 4870 ati
$310
Case: Cooler Master rc-690
$150
PSU: Corsair hx 520w
$120
Speakers: Logitech g-51
$130
Keyboard: Logitech g15 gaming
$75
Mouse: Razor Deathadder
$60
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 225MS 22" LCD monitor
$320
$190
Optical: Pioneer 20x dvd/cd

$2167 base

I just took Newegg prices because I am too lazy to look for deals atm so I am sure I can cut some of the cost. I didn't do the P45-DS4P for the mobo because I wanted to futureproof the machine with DDR3. And, it is damn sexy.

I am willing to go up to 2.5k, but I don't see how. Sure, I could upgrade the speakers to z5500s but I will be in a dorm so I don't see the usefulness of that. Or I could make the monitor into a 2493HM but I don't want to strain the GPU. Well, tell me what you guys think, I appreciate the advice.

Cheeto

The Crimson Blur said:
Sup GAF. I will be heading to college next year (UVA :D). I will have a small laptop as well as a gaming PC. I want to make it so that my monitor hooks up to my 360 and Wii, and potentially a future PS3, so that I don't have to share the TV with my roommate. Well, here are the specs:

$2167 base

I just took Newegg prices because I am too lazy to look for deals atm so I am sure I can cut some of the cost. I didn't do the P45-DS4P for the mobo because I wanted to futureproof the machine with DDR3. And, it is damn sexy.

I am willing to go up to 2.5k, but I don't see how. Sure, I could upgrade the speakers to z5500s but I will be in a dorm so I don't see the usefulness of that. Or I could make the monitor into a 2493HM but I don't want to strain the GPU. Well, tell me what you guys think, I appreciate the advice.
Save money on the CPU and get more storage or something. Get the 8400 instead.

Cheeto said:
Save money on the CPU and get more storage or something. Get the 8400 instead.

Yea, most people like the 8400 better because the 8500 only gives 2-3 frames more for an $80 price difference. But, I dunno, as I have said, I have some money floating around so I don't see why not.

Ok guys, I'm just starting to order parts for my first home-built PC ever, and I need some advice on a monitor. I'm looking at-

Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - $179
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254005

and

SAMSUNG 920NW Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - $200 ($165 w/ MIR)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001100

I see that the Samsung doesn't have DVI, only VGA, is that a big deal? Basically, I'm looking to spend around $175 on a monitor, what's my best bet?

Thanks GAF!

SRG01

BuddhaRockstar said:
Ok guys, I'm just starting to order parts for my first home-built PC ever, and I need some advice on a monitor. I'm looking at-

Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - $179
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254005

and

SAMSUNG 920NW Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - $200 ($165 w/ MIR)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001100

I see that the Samsung doesn't have DVI, only VGA, is that a big deal? Basically, I'm looking to spend around $175 on a monitor, what's my best bet?

Thanks GAF!

VGA is an analog signal. The screen will either stretch the image or do 1:1 pixel mapping.

IIRC, VGA has timing issues if it is not set to the native resolution and will result in blurry sections of the screen. DVI-D has precise timings and will avoid that issue altogether.

godhandiscen

DarkAngelYuna said:
Anyone know a decent defrag program for Vista 64? The default one seems to take forever or just never finish.
The default one is the best. It runs in the background. It wont take any processing power either. The reason why it doesn't have a progress bar is because you can make changes to your drive and the de-fragmentation will continue and adapt to these new changes. Look into it.

Hey gang. I've got some moneys together to build myself a PC but after some time trying to figure it out I've come to realize that I don't know that much about motherboards and processors to really make my own decisions. In this thread Outdoor Miner posted a build that was similar enough to what I had come up with myself so I was planning on just aping his machine. Quoted:
Outdoor Miner said:
Any one have any input on changes I should make before I pull the trigger? I will be using a different hard drive but I like the build overall besides that. My main concern is that I plan on using my 720p Bravia for the display, and for that this setup would be overkill(?) Also I don't know anything about processors so I am just blindly following the build on that and I'm not totally clear on if Vista 64 is worth it or not.

Splat

EVGA 8800GT Superclocked 512MB DDR3 512-P3-N802-AR - $130 from Ebay

Intel Core2 processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz 1066FSB) w/Quad Core Technology and 8MB cache
3GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM)
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
+ other normal computer stuff, case, etc.

First new computer in almost 5 years, I'm excited. See you later 9600 ALL IN WONDER!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Splat said:
EVGA 8800GT Superclocked 512MB DDR3 512-P3-N802-AR - $130 from Ebay

Intel Core2 processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz 1066FSB) w/Quad Core Technology and 8MB cache
3GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM)
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
+ other normal computer stuff, case, etc.

First new computer in almost 5 years, I'm excited. See you later 9600 ALL IN WONDER!

Holy moly! That little build will smoke a 360 or PS3, too. You are to be commended on your frugality.

No6

The Crimson Blur said:

$2167 base

Is your goal to throw money away? Why Vista Ultimate? Why DDR3? Why an 8500? Why an overpriced 520w PSU, especially when your case comes with a PSU (of unknown quality)?

What exactly do you think you're "futureproofing" against, and do you think it actually works (hint: it doesn't)?

aznpxdd said:
Get this HD instead - as fast as raptors, great bang for the buck, 2 platter technology and very reliable.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218&Tpk=WD6400AAKS+640GB

And this CPU HSF - it shits on the AC Freezer Pro.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

Oh...and Vista x64 is definitely worth it.
Sounds good to me. I think I'm going to go for it and order pretty soon. Exciting times! I haven't had a windows pc in like 5 years and am itching for some desktop gaming action.

So took me a while to get everything setup last night, had some trouble getting my mobo mounted properly in my case, dethreaded a support screw woo. The Noctua NH-U12P is HUGEEEEEE, so big it has to be mounted to the back of the mobo, that couplde with some noctua fans has made my pc loads quieter.

Smacked my q6600 g0 to 3ghz off the bat, idles at 33degrees, inner cores 49degrees outter 46 at 100% load. will start pushing it now :D

Fun

godhandiscen said:
The default one is the best. It runs in the background. It wont take any processing power either. The reason why it doesn't have a progress bar is because you can make changes to your drive and the de-fragmentation will continue and adapt to these new changes. Look into it.
I left it on overnight for 7 hours while my pc was doing nothing and it still wasn't finished, my hd is small too, only 300gb.

arne

Cheeto said:
As complex as it may seem, you shouldn't really be intimidated by it. The motherboard's software/firmware will take care of much of the work. When it is all said and done you'll just see a single drive on your OS. Don't worry about studying or anything like that, just make sure that the motherboard you purchase has the capability, and everything you need to know should be laid out for you in the manual for your motherboard. So long as you don't have pre-existing data on the hard drives that you want to keep, you cannot screw it up beyond repair.

Lack of floppy drive while installing XP from scratch makes me a very sad boy. Who knew I needed a floppy drive (or an alternate method) to get XP to see the RAIDed drives?! haha.

SRG01

gray_fox224 said:
Is it fine to up the GPU Fan speed to 100%?

I just did it on my 8800GT.

Keep it lower. You shouldn't run any component at its rated maximum for an extended period of time.

No6 said:
Is your goal to throw money away? Why Vista Ultimate? Why DDR3? Why an 8500? Why an overpriced 520w PSU, especially when your case comes with a PSU (of unknown quality)?

What exactly do you think you're "futureproofing" against, and do you think it actually works (hint: it doesn't)?

I forgot the T on my mobo's name, its actually a GA-EP45T-DS3R. Sorry for the confusion. Also, you are right about the power supply; I did not realize my case had the option to have it come packaged with a PSU. I was misled by the fact that there are actually two Newegg listings for the case, one without a PSU (this) and one with (this). Thanks for the clarification.

As you may have noticed, I am going to college next year. My parents are paying for the PC. They gave me the price range of 2-2.5k. My original plan was for a 8400, DDR2 RAM, etc. But, once I totaled the price, I was well below the price range. Should I unnecessarily bump the price up? Probably not. Am I being a douche for considering it? Most definitely. I am even considering making the monitor into this dell one. Overall, I will say that I have always been leaning toward the cheaper route, but I do want to explore my options. So, indulge me. :D

As always, thanks for the help (especially about the case!).

Kosma

Banned
I'm wondering if my 400 Watt PSU would support the 4850, cause most sites say you need 450 at least.

Anybody have experience with this?

bee

gray_fox224 said:
Is it fine to up the GPU Fan speed to 100%?

I just did it on my 8800GT.

dunno how you can stand the noise personally but its fine to run it at 100% for as long as you want, case fans run at 100% (12v) 24/7 and they last years and years

Kosma

Banned
I've updated the OP's GPU section to match what is FOTM. It should again be indicative of which cards to get atm. Also I cut out old benchmarks, and put in new one that include all the latest Ati and Nvidia monsters.

Could you read the GPU section and comment on it guys?

Ryuuga

Banned
Thanks for the power supply calculator. I'm not too sure, but based on what it tabulated, it might help me resolve my issue.

Current setup:

Asus M2NPV-VM chipset [onboard Geforce 6150]
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
ThermalTake TR2-430w ATX PSU
3GB [3 x 1GB] DDR2 667mhz
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT OC
WD 80GB 7200RPM HDD

Current Monitor: LG L194WT LCD
Old Monitor: Korean VS71-Visual Sensation CRT

I've been trying to figure out why I've been having issues with my monitor displaying on boot-up. I've been using my on-board card [Nvidia Geforce 6150] for nearly 2 years now and started to have issues regarding display signals. My monitor stays in power-saving mode for the duration of boot-up all the way up until desktop initializes. What does this mean? It means that I have no way of accessing my BIOS or even formatting (which I've been dying to do since I recently picked up a new HDD & copy of XP). This has been happening more recently and I think I've exhausted most methods. These methods include:

-Using a different monitor [Korean Visual VS71-Weaksauce-Decrepit CRT Display] - No change.

-Using my current monitor [LG L194WT] with other devices - It works fine. Therefore, it's not the monitor.

-Removing all components down to the bare essentials (boot with CPU/RAM) - No change.

-Using multiple displays from the On-board card - At first the CRT monitor would work during boot-up, so I decided I'd try to force my computer to recognize my LCD through rigorous scanning from the dual display menu. It worked.Thereafter, I happily used my LCD monitor on boot-up before the issue came back full force a few days later.
th_071_.gif

Then there was a short period where I decided I'd give up since I could still use my pc for browsing GAF, watching movies and other activities that have no relation to actual gaming. Though with recent announcements like D3, I decided I'd at least be prepared for when it comes. I bought a new video card [Nvidia Geforce 8800GT], some RAM and a new HDD. "Hey! Wait a minute! Maybe the new video card should help with my display issue!" I said as I pranced down a road of delusion.
th_084_.gif

So then...:

-Using a new GPU [Nvidia Geforce 8800GT] - Which my computer won't recognize anyway since:
*A) My BIOS display adapter is set to "On-board" (from what I can remember) DOH!.
*B) According to the manual, PnP is off by default (wtf?)
*B) I'm not too sure the card is getting sufficient power.
th_052_.gif

A few sleepless nights, countless calls, useless pointers and a séance later...I decided I'd try one last method:

-Using dual-display from both display adapters - Analog [On-board Card 6150] Digital [8800GT] - Once I powered up the PC the fans stopped cold around 10 seconds in. I tried this method a few more times only to get the same result.

In conclusion, I'll try picking up a new power supply. The supply power calculator recommends a 650watt, so I'll try going with that or something higher. If anyone has any insight or other methods, please let me know. Thank you.

godhandiscen

DarkAngelYuna said:
I left it on overnight for 7 hours while my pc was doing nothing and it still wasn't finished, my hd is small too, only 300gb.
It will never finish. Thats it. It will just keep moving data as you use your PC. I ussually leave running for a day when I use it and gain about 5GB of space back. I only use it every 3 weeks or so.

bathala

Banned
Help with Zalman vf1000 or any fans
3 pin fan.

i just found out my mother board doesn't have an extra 3 pin for the fan that the Zalman requires to be plug.
from youtube someone told me that power connectors have some molex cable that u can use as power source for the Zalman

PSU: Corsair 520w hx
it has 4 pin molex but since the Zalman is a 3 pin female i need an adaptor?
I'm guessing this adaptor?

SRG01

gray_fox224 said:
What level would you recommend?

Keep in mind that I come from an engineering standpoint. If anything, you should be running the fan at 75-80% for a good balance between the lifetime of the fan and overall cooling ability. Maybe even lower, if you can get away with the higher temps.

godhandiscen

bathala said:
Help with Zalman vf1000 or any fans
3 pin fan.

i just found out my mother board doesn't have an extra 3 pin for the fan that the Zalman requires to be plug.
from youtube someone told me that power connectors have some molex cable that u can use as power source for the Zalman

PSU: Corsair 520w hx
it has 4 pin molex but since the Zalman is a 3 pin female i need an adaptor?
I'm guessing this adaptor?
Yes, that one.

I just saw this in newegg. I love AMD, but this was too funny.
index_15.jpg

index_16.jpg

index_17.jpg

I need a laptop for university and as I am guessing macs aren't compatible with many games I will probably need a vista computer. Are there any reasonably priced laptops that are reliable and can run games such as cod4 or tf2 well? Budget lets say 1500-2000 (I am in Canada if that makes a difference.)

SarBear

Here's my situation:

I have two computers. One is at work, that merely gets use for internet/spreadsheets/bullshit. The other I have at home. That's where the magic happens. I want to swap a few components from within each computer, but don't know if the power supply I have will manage things.

The computer at work has:

Intel Quad Extreme 3.0 seen ...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115026...there.
2 gigs of ram
Asus Striker Extreme mobo
500 gig hard drive
Antec 850w power supply (4 rails, all kinds of amps mating together)
Fatal1ty sound card
8800gts 740mb

The computer at home has:

Quad core q6600
4 gigs of ram
500 gig hardd drive
Gigabyte ga p35 ds4
Thermaltake 500w power supply (2 rails 14amps/15amps) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153028
7600gt

I want to know two things:

1) Can my system run that 8800 with my current power supply?
2) If not, can I replace my power supply (thermaltake) and graphics card (7600) with the ones in the other computer (antec, 8800) while still having enough power to start up that other system with the extreme processor (will the goddamn thing start up the rig with my weaksauce power supply)?

Thanks in advance

bee

SarBear said:
I want to know two things:

1) Can my system run that 8800 with my current power supply?
2) If not, can I replace my power supply (thermaltake) and graphics card (7600) with the ones in the other computer (antec, 8800) while still having enough power to start up that other system with the extreme processor (will the goddamn thing start up the rig with my weaksauce power supply)?

Thanks in advance

1) yes, although the psu seems a little underpowered for instance a corsair 520w has 40amps on the 12v rails, but thats still more than enough to power it
2) you could if you want to

SarBear

bee said:
1) yes, although the psu seems a little underpowered for instance a corsair 520w has 40amps on the 12v rails, but thats still more than enough to power it
2) you could if you want to

Thank you very much. I originally skimped on the power supply because I didn't know much about them. Now I surely wish I did otherwise. With the second question, tho, if I did switch power supplies and graphics cards.....would that extreme processor have trouble with my weaksauce power supply?

bee

SarBear said:
Thank you very much. I originally skimped on the power supply because I didn't know much about them. Now I surely wish I did otherwise. With the second question, tho, if I did switch power supplies and graphics cards.....would that extreme processor have trouble with my weaksauce power supply?

no, high end graphics cards are what you need to worry about regarding power rather than cpus, if you said power a gtx 280 i'd probably say no but that will be fine powering any cpu and a lower end card ( probably be fine with a 8800 also )

RoH

Thanks Outdoor Miner?

Case - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534
Power Supply - Thermaltake W0106RU 700W
Mobo - ASUS P5Q-E ATX Intel Motherboard (Crossfire compatible)
Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
RAM - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Video Card - ASUS Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
Hard Drive - Maxtor DiamondMax 21 STM3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive - ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-2014S1T - OEM
CPU HS - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Business premium -bit32 DVD

This is my build with my changes, what do you guys think?

Top Bottom