• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
qx87dy.jpg

What the heck. Again, just like the Taiman in archery, she's not ugly, she just looks 100% man.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
SnowWolf said:
qx87dy.jpg

What the heck. Again, just like the Taiman in archery, she's not ugly, she just looks 100% man.
That's not a bad looking man... wait...............
PS: Damn she's losing :(

Seeing these Brazilian players represent Georgia has me wondering:
Can you move to a country and enter in the Olympics representing that country a year later or something? Could a country hypothetically be represented by a team made of nothing but athletes recruited from other countries?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
a Master Ninja said:
Can you move to a country and enter in the Olympics representing that country a year later or something? Could a country hypothetically be represented by a team made of nothing but athletes recruited from other countries?

That's what I'm wondering because there's so many Chinese table tennis players representing weird countries like Dominican Republic and Luxemborg. They even talk to their coaches in Chinese.

a Master Ninja said:

As long as they have citizenship in that country. Becky Hammon speaks no Russian and she got her Russian citizenship earlier this year so that she can play for the Russian basketball team in the Olympics.

jobber said:
China with their first gold in sailing!

CHI NA
And British bronze, our first medal in windsurfing, I think. Strange race to watch, you had no idea who was where until 2 seconds before they reached the finish line.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
WTF. Kyle Bennet was looking pretty good to qualify, but now is being carted out on a stretcher.

edit: He's going to finish the race and qualify, although obviously hurt. Awesome. :)

Butane123

Laguna X said:
WTF. Kyle Bennet was looking pretty good to qualify, but now is being carted out on a stretcher.
Nah, he got up on his own power after awhile and was able to peddle around the track at the end. Seems like his shoulder is busted though.

Nabs

anyone having trouble w/ firefox and the olympic website? the schedule won't adjust to my local time. it works w/ ie

calder

lunlunqq said:
BMX is on NBC now. It's so awesome. This should have been in the Olympics earlier.
Huh, I watched like 10 minutes and decided it was by far the stupidest least interesting sport of these Olympics, which is a bold statement considering the Olympics have some utter dud events. Just awful TV, and the only upside to the event was the fact the runs took like 30 seconds tops... and they fuck that up by making everyone race each round like 3 times just so we can watch them all not be able to ever pass unless someone falls again and again. So bad. Right up there with trampoline and fencing on the unwatchability scale.

Also, all judged events must be abolished. Maybe diving can stay, there's the odd bit of weirdness but at least unlike the other judged events it's doesn't seem as pointlessly random and shady. Watching boxing or taekwondo gets so frustrating, I don't care that that Canadian woman didn't win her opening match but how she managed to get zero points had me shaking my head. :lol

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I'm calling it now

1 team will get upset in the first set of early basketball games

(hopefully Spain)

btw

Marathon Swimming (just ended on USA) >>>>>>>>> race walking

calder said:
Huh, I watched like 10 minutes and decided it was by far the stupidest least interesting sport of these Olympics, which is a bold statement considering the Olympics have some utter dud events.

I can't even fathom how one can think this.

Gokurakumaru said:
Maybe she's just not that good!

but.... she is.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Nastia looks really bitchy right now.

She's probably annoyed at getting silver repeatedly. Now that the U.S. took gold in the beam I hope her old man can shut up about judges being biased against his daughter. Maybe she's just not that good!

calder said:
Huh, I watched like 10 minutes and decided it was by far the stupidest least interesting sport of these Olympics, which is a bold statement considering the Olympics have some utter dud events. Just awful TV, and the only upside to the event was the fact the runs took like 30 seconds tops... and they fuck that up by making everyone race each round like 3 times just so we can watch them all not be able to ever pass unless someone falls again and again. So bad. Right up there with trampoline and fencing on the unwatchability scale.
That's just the heats, the semi finals should be more exciting. From now on, they'll actually be racing in groups of 8 with the top 4 going through.

jobber

perfectchaos007 said:
Bustos! The softball Beast woman from the US just Crushed that ball over the fence!

USA!USA!USA!

I would've kept watching if I didn't accidently see the final score :(

CNBC usually shows their games live but the one night they didn't -_-

Osterman with her lustful eyes = <3

jobber said:
I would've kept watching if I didn't accidently see the final score :(

CNBC usually shows their games live but the one night they didn't -_-

Osterman with her lustful eyes = <3

One of my friends down here in Houston went to highschool with her.

Anyone know why the crowd was booing after Jonathan Horton went on the high bar? Were they booing at him or the scoring?

On one hand his performance was great, on the other hand I don't see why the Chinese crowd would boo for him to pass Zou Kai.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Weird international rules: Garbajosa committed quite a normal NBA foul, and they call it an intentional foul - two freethrows and the ball. All he did was grab the arm of the player, and it was ruled as a Flagrant I.

jobber

Buba Big Guns said:
Well Americans, looks like you'll be seeing a whole bunch of Phelps pretty soon.

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/swimming/story/2008/08/19/olympics-phelps-endorsements.html

He's getting 50 endorsement offers a day.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkk

After the 04 games, he was in damn near every commercial. Lasted for a month tho.

I'm sick of NBC hanging from his nutsack. They're all shocked that he listens to rap music. He said that 4 years ago when NBC interviewed him!

jobber

reilo said:
Weird international rules: Garbajosa committed quite a normal NBA foul, and they call it an intentional foul - two freethrows and the ball. All he did was grab the arm of the player, and it was ruled as a Flagrant I.
Lawyer Speak

well... he did grab his man's arm in an attempt to stop the offensive player's forward progress.

He did it on purpose in an attempt to steal the ball in a flagrant manner.

Gonaria said:
Zou Kai's routine was harder than Horton's? Man, it sure didn't look like it. They both were good but i thought Horton's was more exciting

Yeah, they explained why Kai's routine was harder than Horton's on the BBC yesterday.

They said it was because Kai did most of his flips and even his turns reverse gripped (palm facing towards yourself) which is like dislocating your shoulder and incredibly difficult, but Horton's flips, though exciting, were a lot easier to do as they were of the standard grip variety (palms facing forwards).

Basically China played the scoring rule book better.

linsivvi

jobber said:
Lawyer Speak

well... he did grab his man's arm in an attempt to stop the offensive player's forward progress.

He did it on purpose in an attempt to steal the ball in a flagrant manner.

I don't think it has anything to do with the flagrant manner, just the fact that it was an intentional foul or something like that.

So basically, pussy ball.

Edit: "If a defensive player causes contact with an opponent from behind or laterally
in an attempt to stop a fast break and there is no opponent between the
offensive player and the opponents’ basket, then the contact shall be judged to
be unsportsmanlike."

deepbrown said:
16 golds, 10 silver, 10 bronze. I like the sound of that. GB officially has a higher medal count than the Aussies..insane.
And more shockingly, we've beaten our minimum target with two guaranteed medals still to go.

deepbrown

chickensoup said:
And more shockingly, we've beaten our minimum target with two guaranteed medals still to go.
Yup. And then there's BMX'ing (I hope she doesn't fall over again), Phillips Idowu, and then...4x100m Men (are we going to defend out title?) and...4x400m Women..What else have we got?

What's happened to Russia? Lots of medals, but they usually have way more. Maybe the government has decided to show its power through brute force, rather than showing it through their athletes.

Jake.

china got stomped. when is the aus vs usa game? i'm guessing its on at something stupid like 4am australian time when i'm in bed.

There's a reason why some of the olympics sports are nor popular. I will compile a list when the games are over, but some of them really need to go.

I already have doubts about handball, but handball on the water is just playing dumb. No wonder why most of the players are doctors, teachers and other stuff. (can't be full time players because it doesn't give money).

I know why it doesn't give money. It sucks, and most important, it really sucks on TV.

mabuza

Banned
hmmm australia could be a potential problem for the redeemers. i remember they were the only team that came close in the pre olympics games, and that was without even bogut.

Equestrian and synchronized swimming needs to be cut from the Olympic, also i think there is way too many medals being handed out in Swimming and track cycling.

linsivvi

Copycat_Wannabe said:
Equestrian and synchronized swimming needs to be cut from the Olympic, also i think there is way too many medals being handed out in Swimming and track cycling.

Synchronized swimming needs to be the first one to go. At least equestrian can use tradition as an excuse. If they're including synchronized swimming in the Olympics, why isn't ballet included as well?

Also don't count on a reduction on swimming and track cycling medals. Those are the events that attract ratings.

deepbrown

Copycat_Wannabe said:
Haha. I was thinking the same about Gymnastics. But really...Swimming medals are given out to completely different events, and track cycling is given out over completely different disciplines. So you're a bit off base there.

avaya

deepbrown said:
Haha. I was thinking the same about Gymnastics. But really...Swimming medals are given out to completely different events, and track cycling is given out over completely different disciplines. So you're a bit off base there.

Gymnastic's medals are all well deserved. Team, all-around, and each apparatus for men + women. Everything requires a different skill set.

Swimming....the number of medals available has exploded over the last 50yrs. It's ridiculous.

Track cycling...LOL. Keirin for example is a joke. Too many similar events.

Same for rowing. Lightweight rowing?? WTF is that shit.

deepbrown

avaya said:
Gymnastic's medals are all well deserved. Team, all-around, and each apparatus for men + women. Everything requires a different skill set.

Swimming....the number of medals available has exploded over the last 50yrs. It's ridiculous.

Track cycling...LOL. Keirin for example is a joke. Too many similar events.

Same for rowing. Lightweight rowing?? WTF is that shit.
You see for Swimming, I see it more as track sports in water...so they need lots of medals. 102medals

Track Cycling, you see usually the medals are spread out over individuals and countrys, and each is good at different disciplines. This year was an exception. There are only 10 events with 30 medals overall. Not very many at all.

I was being sarcastic with Gymnastics...but how many medals are there. 42medals?

Rowing...it's to be split into the different builds of people. That alows more "amatuers" to enter.

Seriously, there are 68(34men/34women)gold medals being handed out in Swimming, only Track & Field has more with 94.

50m, 100m, 200m, 400m, all with four different swimstyles.
As if that is'nt enough there is Medley and relays.
Too many similar events, needs to be trimmed IMO

I was wrong about track cycling btw, turns out there is only 20 Golds being handed out.

deepbrown

Copycat_Wannabe said:
Seriously, there are 68(34men/34women)gold medals being handed out in Swimming, only Track & Field has more with 94.

50m, 100m, 200m, 400m, all with four different swimstyles.
As if that is'nt enough there is Medley and relays.
Too many similar events, needs to be trimmed IMO

I was wrong about track cycling btw, turns out there is only 20 Golds being handed out.
Thought it was only 10 golds...

pollo

Banned
I really hate this CPM bullshit...the sole reason for why the NBCOlympics.com site is ASS. I mean you couldn't have a standard table to display results? Really? I gotta click through every match to see who played and who won? Go to hell NBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom