• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Zou Kai's routine was harder than Horton's? Man, it sure didn't look like it. They both were good but i thought Horton's was more exciting

Chumly

mckmas8808 said:
How is this possible? The Men alone in whole even went 1,2, and 3 in the 400M hurdles if I'm correct. They are choking some, but not like you are making it out to be.
Things weve choked in.....
100M Men
100M Women
100M Hurdles Women
1500M Men
Shot Put
400M Women
Heptathlon Women

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head...... Its been pretty bad

linsivvi

tenritsu said:
I mean, they were tied going into extra innings haha.

BUSTOS 4-0 US.

Weird format for the elimination round.

The loser of this match will play the winner of the #3 and #4 seed to have another chance for gold again. So chances are Japan and USA will play again tomorrow.

Ceres

Banned
Chumly said:
Things weve choked in.....
100M Men
100M Women
100M Hurdles Women
1500M Men
Shot Put
400M Women
Heptathlon Women

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head...... Its been pretty bad

100M Hurdles Women....

Dawn Harper 12.54 Gold

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
SnowWolf said:
2 head shots, that was sick.
Dude the guy was high kicking while defending himself. That's some fast reflexes !

Ok the whole background chant is annoying me with "GO CHINA" =_= The very least they could chant is "GO CHINESE TAIPEI".

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Oozer3993 said:
Horton is THE MAN. That was incredible. :D

Didn't this guy get 2nd lastnight? what's he in now.

either way, enjoyed the 10k swim thismorning, props to the english for trying..

The last guys routine should show how much technical aspects pay off in gymnastics. He was great when he was doing the flips and then he goes into the technical stuff and completely blows it.

Atlagev

NetMapel said:
Dude the guy was high kicking while defending himself. That's some fast reflexes !

Ok the whole background chant is annoying me with "GO CHINA" =_=

That ain't Zhongguo, that's straight ROC, bitches!

Seriously though, I hope Taiwan can win gold in something in these Olympics.

NetMapel

Atlagev said:
That ain't Zhongguo, that's straight ROC, bitches!

Seriously though, I hope Taiwan can win gold in something in these Olympics.
Yeah, there's a fine line between the chant "ZHONGGUO", which is China and "ZHONGHUA" which is first of all, the name Taiwan goes by, and also is a symbolic name for all Chinese descendants. It's a technicality problem but annoying nevertheless...

linsivvi

SolidSnakex said:
The last guys routine should show how much technical aspects pay off in gymnastics. He was great when he was doing the flips and then he goes into the technical stuff and completely blows it.

You mean the Italian guy, right? He won the last Olympics gold. He's just getting old so not able to execute as well as before.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
I agree. He didn't even have a high degree of difficulty, and it was very exciting.

He did. You see a lower A score there because it was deducted when he made some mistakes during his routine.

NetMapel

Hahahaha, Kung Fu Hustle theme music as the background music at taekwondo. That is so awesome ! :lol

Chumly

Ceres said:
Yes. And it really sucks. But according to everyone gold is all that matters.
Someone thought that the choking wasnt all the bad by the American track team. I was pointing out that no its pretty much been an epic fucking disaster. The amount of events and the amount of atheletes that have choked so far is WAY more than should have happened.

linsivvi said:
You mean the Italian guy, right? He won the last Olympics gold. He's just getting old so not able to execute as well as before.

He did. You see a lower A score there because it was deducted when he made some mistakes during his routine.
Because he didn't link two skills or because he left out some skills altogether? If he messed up the execution, wouldn't that just effect his B score if he still completed the skill (albeit poorly)?

linsivvi

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Because he didn't link two skills or because he left out some skills altogether? If he messed up the execution, wouldn't that just effect his B score if he still completed the skill (albeit poorly)?

I can't remember what he messed up, but it would affect his A score too if a move is not counted as complete (like not holding still long enough, incorrect angle, etc), thus lowering the difficulty of his set.

NetMapel

Atlagev said:
I think this has been posted before, but that didn't work so well last time ;-) :

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=reu-badmintonhsieh_pix&prov=reuters&type=lgns
I find that all athletes in the Olympics have generally been humble so far in interviews. But the topic of China/Taiwan is still an extremely sensitive topic and I wouldn't be surprised if any of our athletes were secretly annoyed by the chant. Just sort of imagine, with the whole manifest destiny mindset that the USA had, that an entire audience chanting "GO USA" when a Canadian is competing on stage... that would be kind of awkward :p

Atlagev

NetMapel said:
I find that all athletes in the Olympics have generally been humble so far in interviews. But the topic of China/Taiwan is still an extremely sensitive topic and I wouldn't be surprised if any of our athletes were secretly annoyed by the chant. Just sort of imagine, with the whole manifest destiny mindset that the USA had, that an entire audience chanting "GO USA" when a Canadian is competing on stage... that would be kind of awkward :p

Yeah, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I went to school and now work with many, many Taiwanese people. When I've asked them about the situation, the responses have varied from not caring about China (PRC) to "I hate those Communist bastards!" I worked with a girl whose grandfather was a general under Chiang Kai-Shek. I dated a girl whose dad *wanted* China to start a war with Taiwan so he could "die for Taiwan"!

So, anyway, yeah, I've seen/heard the feelings about it here in the Bay Area. I think it's good that they are at least cheering the Taiwanese athletes. Although it's a completely different situation, they haven't been as kind to the Japanese athletes. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom